• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Special in USA [OT] Billy Gunn Main Events in 2017

Syder

NJPW G1 Special in USA Night 2 Schedule

The Young Bucks (c) v Roppongi Vice - Tag team match for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) v Billy Gunn - Singles match for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship

Kenny Omega v Jay Lethal - Semi-Final 1

Zack Sabre Jr. v Tomohiro Ishii - Semi-Final 2

Winner of Semi-Final 1 v Winner of Semi-Final 2 - Singles match for the IWGP United States Championship​

Grifter

Having never seen Cody wrestle, the main thing I noticed was that his selling was what I'd expect to see in WWE and in stark contrast to the way Okada's stuff is normally taken outside of Fale matches.

NJPW G1 Special in USA Night 2 Schedule

The Young Bucks (c) v Roppongi Vice - Tag team match for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) v Billy Gunn - Singles match for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship

Kenny Omega v Jay Lethal - Semi-Final 1

Zack Sabre Jr. v Tomohiro Ishii - Semi-Final 2

Winner of Semi-Final 1 v Winner of Semi-Final 2 - Singles match for the IWGP United States Championship​

Night 2 might be better than night 1 the main event aside

I'm 90% sure Lethal is winning the belt.
Unless this happens

I'll die

I'm honestly willing to give Tanahashi and Billy Gunn a chance. It won't be like Tana Naito at Dominion or whatever but it could very well be a pleasant surprise for people. I guess we will see!

The thing I am really dreading is Cody interfering with Omega/Lethal.

Omega/Lethal tomorrow is going to rule

Omega/ZSJ final would be incredible

That's my hope, but I think they will do Omega/Ishii, which I'm fine with, but they've already had tow great matches this year. Omega vs. Sabre would be weird as it's heel vs. heel, but Omega is a face in Long Beach anyway so it'd be fine.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I'm 90% sure Lethal is winning the belt.

If Lethal is winning I hope he's going against Ishii. ZSJ vs Lethal would be fun, but I feel like they need a well established NJPW guy for the finals. I do think the crowd would be a lot happier if Ishii wins, although I don't think the crowd will shit on the match if Lethal wins.

Of course we could end up with another MVP winning the IC title situation. Especially if they end up NEVER-ing the US expansion idea and you see Lethal defending the belt on the undercard before dropping it to Masato Tanaka.

That's my hope, but I think they will do Omega/Ishii, which I'm fine with, but they've already had tow great matches this year. Omega vs. Sabre would be weird as it's heel vs. heel, but Omega is a face in Long Beach anyway so it'd be fine.

Omega vs Sabre would be interesting because their styles are so different and it could open up to a lot of chemistry.

I would not complain at all about Omega vs Ishii again though. I just really don't want Cody to interfere and fuck up the Lethal match.

Syder

I'm honestly willing to give Tanahashi and Billy Gunn a chance. It won't be like Tana Naito at Dominion or whatever but it could very well be a pleasant surprise for people. I guess we will see!
I'm fine with it being a comedy breather before the US Championship matches start.

I'm sure Mr. Ass will tell The Ace to suck it 50 times.

Raw64life

I just really don't want Cody to interfere and fuck up the Lethal match.

giphy.gif

Are you sure the intercontinental match is the main event?

Wouldn't it be Tag Titles -> Semis -> Intercontinental -> Final?

The ads even said "and then the finals to crown the US champion". The whole event exists for the stupid belt

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Tanahashi vs just about anyone else on the NJPW roster would be main eventing night 2. No doubt about that.

Versus Mr Ass though? I think Tanahashi is over and charismatic enough to make it work, but it wouldn't be a good way to end the night. Unless he decides to play High Energy at end for the American fans. Then all is forgiven.

pbayne

welp well fuck my pick for the tourney elgin. Still cant see omega winning, id be like a step down for him after chasing the iwgp all this time.

Im sure my boy tana will pull something special out of his ass for night 2

welp well fuck my pick for the tourney elgin. Still cant see omega winning, id be like a step down for him after chasing the iwgp all this time.

Im sure my boy tana will pull something special out of his ass for night 2
Yeah. Omega was my most shocking win of the night.

The Okada/Cody match was fine but nothing great.

But at the very least it was a real match not like the shit a couple weeks ago where poor Big Mike had to drag Cody to any kind of a match.

My issue is that just a "good" Okada title match is a waste of time.

Okada in 2017 is unreal. Dude can have great matches with a lot of people so giving him someone who he can only guide to a good match is such a waste of an Okada match.

Hex

Banned
Jesus Christ... is there any reason y'all hate this hard on the guy?

Cody would be a side by side toss up with Bo Dallas if his dad was not Dusty Rhodes and deceased.

That still doesn't explain the genuine sense of hatred and disgust.

My hate comes from the swagger and way he carries himself, saying he is the prince and now he is the King, and telling Okada that he has not gone against anyone with real talent.
The cigars, the limos...you earn that shit

Heroman

Banned
Cody would be a side by side toss up with Bo Dallas if his dad was not Dusty Rhodes and deceased.

My hate comes from the swagger and way he carries himself, saying he is the prince and now he is the King, and telling Okada that he has not gone against anyone with real talent.
The cigars, the limos...you earn that shit

So he doing his job.

See, in the WWE I would say ah shucks you got me.
But in NJPW and even in ROH Heels are better than that. They do not have to rely on such dated garbage tactics

He's a try hard and it's annoying.

I didn't mind him as a mid carder and a supporting player but as a main eventer as the guy who will likely feud with Kenny and be the leader of Bullet Club?

Nope. No thanks. I don't have any interest in a Kenny vs Cody feud.

Jesus Christ... is there any reason y'all hate this hard on the guy?

This is how I see it, at least in the case of the match with Big Mike. A good heel should play dirty and do the heel shit. But when it looks like you aren't even bothering wrestling and the other guy has to initiate everything it just look like you aren't there doing your job.

Like look at Naito dude does his Tranquilo thing but when he goes he goes hard and its great.

Cody does his I'm going to keep getting out of the ring etc etc. but never went in on Big Mike it felt like Mike was always initiating..

Now Cody was fine in WWE with a different character and style of Wrestling, but when it comes to the NJPW style he doesn't fit what I'm looking for.

Now lets look at Okada/Cody. Okada is having (ignore the numbers) constant 9-10 matches so when he gets in there with Cody and the result is like a 7 you get bummed out. Its a absolutley fine match for Cody but with Okada who is taking it to the next level everytime you come out disappointed.

Here's the full card for night two:

(1) Jushin Thunder Liger, KUSHIDA & David Finlay vs. Yoshitatsu and the Tempura Boyz (Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu)
(2) IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Semifinal #1: Jay Lethal vs. Kenny Omega
(3) IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Semifinal #2: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
(4) Juice Robinson, Jay White, Volador Jr., Dragon Lee & Titan vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, EVIL, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi)
(5) Michael Elgin & War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe) vs. Bullet Club (Tama Tonga, Tanga Roa & Hangman Page)
(6) IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) (c) vs. Roppongi Vice (Rocky Romero & Beretta)
(7) CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Jay Briscoe, Mark Briscoe & Will Ospreay) vs. Bullet Club (Cody, Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & Marty Scurll)
(8) IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Billy Gunn
(9) IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Finals: Winner of Lethal/Omega vs. Winner of Ishii/Sabre Jr.

(1) Jushin Thunder Liger, KUSHIDA & David Finlay vs. Yoshitatsu and the Tempura Boyz (Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu)
(2) IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Semifinal #1: Jay Lethal vs. Kenny Omega
(3) IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Semifinal #2: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
(4) Juice Robinson, Jay White, Volador Jr., Dragon Lee & Titan vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, EVIL, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi)
(5) Michael Elgin & War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe) vs. Bullet Club (Tama Tonga, Tanga Roa & Hangman Page)
(6) IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) (c) vs. Roppongi Vice (Rocky Romero & Beretta)
(7) CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Jay Briscoe, Mark Briscoe & Will Ospreay) vs. Bullet Club (Cody, Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & Marty Scurll)
(9) IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Finals: Winner of Lethal/Omega vs. Winner of Ishii/Sabre Jr.

Hope LIJ get more time tonight.
Omega should bring in the towel for match #7 too.
If the US is the final match, looks like it's Omega vs Ishii/ZSJ.

DeathyBoy

Banned
This is how I see it, at least in the case of the match with Big Mike. A good heel should play dirty and do the heel shit. But when it looks like you aren't even bothering wrestling and the other guy has to initiate everything it just look like you aren't there doing your job.

Like look at Naito dude does his Tranquilo thing but when he goes he goes hard and its great.

Cody does his I'm going to keep getting out of the ring etc etc. but never went in on Big Mike it felt like Mike was always initiating..

Now Cody was fine in WWE with a different character and style of Wrestling, but when it comes to the NJPW style he doesn't fit what I'm looking for.

Now lets look at Okada/Cody. Okada is having (ignore the numbers) constant 9-10 matches so when he gets in there with Cody and the result is like a 7 you get bummed out. Its a absolutley fine match for Cody but with Okada who is taking it to the next level everytime you come out disappointed.

I was more disappointed in an American crowd paying to see a New Japan show and deciding to get themselves over with American style chants. Would it have killed them to act like a Japanese crowd?

Also that match was pretty much Okada auditioning for NXT.

I was more disappointed in an American crowd paying to see a New Japan show and deciding to get themselves over with American style chants. Would it have killed them to act like a Japanese crowd?

The crowd was absolutely fine. Only eyebrow raising thing was the "throw the towel" chant, which was entirely understandable given everyone bought their tickets expecting a NJPW main event and got Cody.

Also if you think Okada's going to wwf, I want what you're drinking

Yeah that wasn't going to happen. Hell, even JAPAN is doing some American style chants on occasion.

Also, Okada is the highest-paid guy in NJPW right now, literally making millions of dollars. NJPW is specifically structuring his deal to keep him. You really think he'd give that up to go to NXT?

Hoping for Kenny/ZSj

Top Bottom