• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No God of War at PSX 2016

The guest on the 8-4 podcast this week from Sony said that PSX will be very Japan-heavy this year, so maybe the Bloodborne follow-up we all expect will be the focus.
Bloodborne 2
DMC 5
Ni No Kuni 2
Sony Japan JRPG
The Last Guardian launch trailer
Ace Comabt 7 gameplay
Gravity Rush 2 demo
3rd party Japanese exclusives (Nier, Nioh, etc)
Resident Evil 7 trailer
Yakuza 6 localization (pls Gio)
FFVIIR gameplay
Death Stranding Mads Mikkelsen reveal

PSX of dreams

Bloodborne 2
DMC 5
Ni No Kuni 2
Sony Japan JRPG
Ace Comabt 7 gameplay
Gravity Rush 2 demo
Resident Evil 7 trailer
FFVIIR gameplay

PSX of dreams
Alright this list was better I had a mad brain fart about Japanese titles.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Your really set in your interpretation of what he means that your not considering other possibilities. You know it could be: major systems are implemented in various states across portions of the game, but not equally. The beginning portion has the most completion, but even then, it was a scripted demo. But that's just one possible interpretation of the current development state. And I wouldn't know if that's the correct one but on the same coin, I'm not sure why you think yours is either.
We literally have a shit ton of examples of similar things happening in the industry when games get announced super early including a full article detailing how these things work, so it's a pretty appropriate conclusion to make just based on so many little moments in the video itself.

DMONKUMA

Bloodborne 2
DMC 5
Ni No Kuni 2
Sony Japan JRPG
Ace Comabt 7 gameplay
Gravity Rush 2 demo
Resident Evil 7 trailer
FFVIIR gameplay

PSX of dreams

Would be incredible

Chobel

Alright, and where is Shinobi saying the same thing?

They've just started implementing gameplay systems.

Lol, they are not "starting from scratch". The E3 demo was of course very scripted. Cory even clarified that it's not technically in the game (the way the demo unfolds). It's just a huge game, systems are being implemented. Things started out rough. After Darkside got completely scrapped, there's a lot of pressure to deliver.

Time to make the game.

Bloodborne 2
DMC 5
Ni No Kuni 2
Sony Japan JRPG
Ace Comabt 7 gameplay
Gravity Rush 2 demo
Resident Evil 7 trailer
FFVIIR gameplay

PSX of dreams
Uncle Gio will deliver!

Also, I like how your list doesn't explicitly say Persona 5 lol

Bloodborne 2
DMC 5
Ni No Kuni 2
Sony Japan JRPG
Ace Comabt 7 gameplay
Gravity Rush 2 demo
Resident Evil 7 trailer
FFVIIR gameplay

PSX of dreams
Gimme!

"They're basically starting over, the E3 trailer was BS"
"omg fuck no"
"they're making the game now, the E3 trailer wasnt 100% real"
"omg thank you based shinobi"

Lol, they are not "starting from scratch". The E3 demo was of course very scripted. Cory even clarified that it's not technically in the game (the way the demo unfolds). It's just a huge game, systems are being implemented. Things started out rough. After Darkside got completely scrapped, there's a lot of pressure to deliver.

Time to make the game.

Sigh. I get that there's pressure to deliver, but ... the comparisons to the demo will be valid and apt and tumultuous because of this.

"A game in development is in development"

What a damn shocker.

Nope. That's not even remotely what's being discussed here. We're talking about Watch_Dogs debut-style bait-n-switch demonstrations

Fisty

Bloodborne 2
DMC 5
Ni No Kuni 2
Sony Japan JRPG
Ace Comabt 7 gameplay
Gravity Rush 2 demo
Resident Evil 7 trailer
FFVIIR gameplay

PSX of dreams

Sorry, Yakuza 6 needs to be behind Yakuza Kiwami. I think that's what they're going for too, like a soft series reboot. 0-2 on PS4 would at least narrow the number of consoles you need to play the series down to 2, but 6 would probably come before 2

Really looking forward to Ni No Kuni 2 info at PSX

Y'all saying bingo and exactly are being ironic right?

What he posted applies for practically most games in development.

And none of you still have clarified how Shinobi and the original poster said the same thing.

Pretending it was the same won't make it so.

Want to hear a secret guys it'll shock you...days gone...was a vertical scripted slice too..siigggh I know shocker. Guess what else... ffvii remake that gets so much love from the gameplay trailer.....is still in development as well.

Alright I've softened the blow so here's the kicker that'll sting...most of the games you see at E3 are vertical slices/demonstrations/scripted...I know I know unbelievable

Loudninja

Y'all saying bingo and exactly are being ironic right?

And none of you still have clarified how Shinobi and the original poster said the same thing.

The funny thing is they said this in interviews.

GamesBeat: What stage of the game are we seeing here? What would we know at this time?

Barlog: It’s the beginning of the game. The events that transpire here are very specific to the demo. What actually happens on that hunt is very different. It sets up the call to action and the remainder of the story. But we wanted to tell a complete story in this demo, to have a beginning and a middle and an end, so you could see the development of the kid. By the end, Kratos’ influence has changed him.
http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/18/s...-questions-about-the-amazing-god-of-war-demo/

So yeah we knew this when they first reveal the game.

Servbot24

Banned
I wanna see Ni No Kuni 2, Sucker Punch's game, and some concrete details on GT Sport. Anything else would be a bonus. FROM or Studio Japan would be the biggest bonuses of all.

Y'all saying bingo are being ironic right?

You're being purposefully obtuse.

Changes in game development is the difference between Bloodborne Alpha vs Bloodborne Retail. When you change an enemy behavior or pathing or cut/drastically rework a level/cinematic. Like going from Gears of War 4 E3 2015 with no Marcus to Gears of War 4 Retail with Marcus in the party.

Not when you show off a vision of a game you can't really achieve/is not technically part of the game.

When Uncharted 4 "started over", they scrapped scripts, work in progress areas, redesigned levels and did a whole bunch of recasting. They basically went back to preproduction.

Where God of War is right now is the same state as PSX 2014 Uncharted , where ND just finished making a semi scripted vertical slice and that informed their direction for the game at large. It's an extension of a solid concept that needs to be scoped into a game.

Game is early. Demo was scripted. It was a vertical slice. No shit, Cory effectively said all these back at E3.

What the fuck is the point of PSX this year?
Feels like this will be the weakest one.

I didn't know God Of War was supposed to there. Can you give us the rest of the schedule? This topic is off the rails now.

Not when you show off a vision of a game you can't really achieve/is not technically part of the game.

That still does not equate to starting over even if they made that demo was made with the intent of being part of the final game. Which it seems it wasn't.

photogaz

Sony Santa Monica hasn't put anything out on the PS4 yet, somewhat concerning if God Of War 4 has been started over. I worry for that studio.

Sony needs to start investing in studios again, though I'm really not sure which to be honest.

Yeah, I would really like to see the receipts for this. No offense, but you don't have Shinobi's rep.

Yeah well, you know how it goes. I live in LA and I have lots of friends working in various gaming studios including Sony. I'm not going to name names and get my friends in trouble but that "game demo" we saw at E3 was not a playable code as they presented it is how it's been described to me multiple times.

It is I guess what they are aiming for the game to look and play now (I think the overwelming positive reaction at E3 solidified that). But the game is being made around that E3 proof of concept for the lack of better words, from that point forward.

I guess I backed myself into a corner with that post though. Mods can contact me about details but I can't get my friends employment in jeopardy just to prove to you guys what I've been told is true.

In the last 3-4 years, I can't think of a Sony game, that had a sequence completely wiped off or entirely different.

I will be extremely pissed off if I don't get what I saw. (Well, the direction, not the sequence)

That doesn't equate to starting over. Not sure why this is so hard for some(two) of you to understand. Even if development is moving slow or troubled it still does not meet that definition. It's pretty cut and dry.
Right, I mean, "Lol, they are not "starting from scratch"."

Shinobi specifically lol'd at that statement. It implies they have nothing and they are starting from zero. That is what Shinobi was countering. The rest was just saying that a video game in development is in development.

Changes in game development is the difference between Bloodborne Alpha vs Bloodborne Retail. When you change an enemy behavior or pathing or cut/drastically rework a level/cinematic. Like going from Gears of War 4 E3 2015 with no Marcus to Gears of War 4 Retail with Marcus in the party.

Uh...

You should probably go back and reread the discussion that's happening. It's not what you think it is.

It's about shinobi versus another posters "insider" info.

Loudninja

GamesBeat: What stage of the game are we seeing here? What would we know at this time?

Barlog: It’s the beginning of the game. The events that transpire here are very specific to the demo. What actually happens on that hunt is very different. It sets up the call to action and the remainder of the story. But we wanted to tell a complete story in this demo, to have a beginning and a middle and an end, so you could see the development of the kid. By the end, Kratos’ influence has changed him.
http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/18/s...-questions-about-the-amazing-god-of-war-demo/
I have no idea what some of you are doing.

I think there's a general misunderstanding of how E3 demos work in this thread. The God of War demo is a vertical slice -- it's a small section of the game polished to a "completed" standard that includes all of the systems, concepts, and "tone" that they want the final game to include.

The rest of the game won't be completed to the same standard yet, but the vertical slice will influence how the remainder of the development plays out.

If they were "starting from scratch", which I don't believe they are, that would indicate that they've completely changed the direction of the project since E3. Why would they do that when the response was so positive?

Uh...

You should probably go back and reread the discussion that's happening. It's not what you think it is.

It's about shinobi versus another posters "insider" info.

I wasn't talking about that, I was simply disagreeing with your interpretation of normal game development.

Memento

I think there's a general misunderstanding of how E3 demos work in this thread. The God of War demo is a vertical slice -- it's a small section of the game polished to a "completed" standard that includes all of the systems, concepts, and "tone" that they want the final game to include.

The rest of the game won't be completed to the same standard yet, but the vertical slice will influence how the remainder of the development plays out.

If they were "starting from scratch", which I don't believe they are, that would indicate that they've completely changed the direction of the project since E3. Why would they do that when the response was so positive?

Exactly.

The way Sony or SSM decided to show off the game is seriously gives the impression, that this is the game, that you will be playing, once it's out. I don't like being lied to, this comes off as uggggghhh. Don't show the game off, if it's not the game.

You bolded something and maybe my English sucks... but I don't see where that indicates that they are starting over.

Your English is fine, Chobel's English on the other hand...

When Uncharted 4 "started over", they scrapped scripts, work in progress areas, redesigned levels and did a whole bunch of recasting. They basically went back to preproduction.

Where God of War is right now is the same state as PSX 2014 Uncharted , where ND just finished making a semi scripted vertical slice and that informed their direction for the game at large. It's an extension of a solid concept that needs to be scoped into a game.

Pretty much. They're not "starting over", they're just expanding their focus from the vertical slice to the rest of the game. It's nothing new, the Cerny method has been around for years, tons of devs use it (and yes, for anyone who doesn't know, it's called the Cerny method because Mark Cerny created it).

Top Bottom