• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No God of War at PSX 2016

I think there's a general misunderstanding of how E3 demos work in this thread. The God of War demo is a vertical slice -- it's a small section of the game polished to a "completed" standard that includes all of the systems, concepts, and "tone" that they want the final game to include.

The rest of the game won't be completed to the same standard yet, but the vertical slice will influence how the remainder of the development plays out.

If they were "starting from scratch", which I don't believe they are, that would indicate that they've completely changed the direction of the project since E3. Why would they do that when the response was so positive?

I can think of many games announced at E3 over the years that don't have vertical slices as ... "proof of concept" as what you're describing here. The vertical slice in question here is what you'd do if you wanted to drum up hype but know that a decent build is still a good ways away.

Someone brought up Days Gone E3 vertical slice. That's closer to what I'd say is more traditional, less egregious showing of a game. Get an idea for the concept, the gameplay, the graphics, the enemies, etc. Not a demo of something that may or may not have relevance to the actual game.

The way Sony or SSM decided to show off the game is seriously gives the impression, that this is the game, that you will be playing, once it's out. I don't like being lied to, this comes off as uggggghhh. Don't show the game off, if it's not the game.

It is the game that you'll be playing. This thread is weird...

I can think of many games announced at E3 over the years that don't have vertical slices as ... "proof of concept" as what you're describing here. The vertical slice in question here is what you'd do if you wanted to drum up hype but know that a decent build is still a good ways away.

Someone brought up Days Gone E3 vertical slice. That's closer to what I'd say is more traditional, less egregious showing of a game. Get an idea for the concept, the gameplay, the graphics, the enemies, etc. Not a demo of something that may or may not have relevance to the actual game.

I remember The Last of Us' first E3 demo used the same tactic. Also, the Uncharted 4 demo at PSX. Both demos were used to showcase the mechanics and the overall "concept" or "flow" of the games. That's exactly what the God of War demo is, too.

Edit: Sorry for the double post!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The way Sony or SSM decided to show off the game is seriously gives the impression, that this is the game, that you will be playing, once it's out. I don't like being lied to, this comes off as uggggghhh. Don't show the game off, if it's not the game.
I mean it sorta doesn't based on how games work, you should want the actual game to have WAY more player agency. Since the game is still early in development it was either make a cinematic for the announcement or this. It's sorta like a pick your poison situation as there's no way they'd have a polished section of the final game ready by this e3 based on how long game development has been taking this gen.

I wasn't talking about that, I was simply disagreeing with your interpretation of normal game development.

Oh I get it. I had to reread some of the posts to better get the context. Apologies.

I agree with your assessment to a degree for sure, but I also don't think it's applicable to GoW4.

The guest on the 8-4 podcast this week from Sony said that PSX will be very Japan-heavy this year, so maybe the Bloodborne follow-up we all expect will be the focus.

"very Japan-heavy" is music to my ears. I'm sure the crowd will be very appreciative as well.

Bring on Jumping Flash! 3, Puppeteer 2, more of Ni no Kuni 2, Klonoa 3 and a big-ass JRPG from Japan Studio.

I think there's a general misunderstanding of how E3 demos work in this thread. The God of War demo is a vertical slice -- it's a small section of the game polished to a "completed" standard that includes all of the systems, concepts, and "tone" that they want the final game to include.

The rest of the game won't be completed to the same standard yet, but the vertical slice will influence how the remainder of the development plays out.

If they were "starting from scratch", which I don't believe they are, that would indicate that they've completely changed the direction of the project since E3. Why would they do that when the response was so positive?
I know how gaming development works. Used to be in it.

The problem here is that you don't quite get the timeline I'm presenting re GOW4.

The gameplay that was shown wasn't a "slice" of the current working code refined. It was basically a presentation of their new direction for the game. They WERE starting over. And what was presented was poof of concept of that new gameplay direction. After they got confirmation that it was a correct decision from E3 reactions, the work started in earnest to follow that new vision for the game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I do some E3 esque walking, once the game is out, and it works!

It is very misleading that GoW demo, I don't like that, at all.
I mean unless the game concept goes through some major revisions it's not misleading. It's just a more presentation friendly concept of a game instead of a fully realized one.

I know how gaming development works. Used to be in it.

The problem here is that you don't quite get the timeline I'm presenting re GOW4.

The gameplay that was shown wasn't a "slice" of the current working code refined. It was basically a presentation of their new direction for the game. They WERE starting over. And what was presented was poof of concept of that new gameplay direction. After they got confirmation that it was a correct decision from E3 reactions, the work started in earnest to follow that new vision for the game.

Which ... doesn't exactly fill me with confidence when it comes to when the game will actually be released.

Going back to this list, this takes a lot of wind from the sails of Sony's E3 2016

54b95ac99cfb38156c49e77eba3b27da.png

GOW4 - won't hit 2017, that I think we can be assured of.
Death Stranding - SMH 2018 too? 2019 at the earliest
Spider-Man - ???
Detroit - Should be out next year, who knows?
Horizon - Should be locked in for release now
Days Gone - Seems like its getting a lot of PS4Pro exposure, so 2017 maybe?
Crash Bandicoot Remaster - ??? (Sigh)

Games take time to develop, a child could tell you that. But I'm not a fan of announcing these games years before they're ready and this actually makes the point for smaller E3 presentations with only more immediate titles being presented.

This gen has for MS and Sony been a lot of long-winded announcements for games that take ages before they're ready. Show the game when its ready to be shown, not before.

Bloodborne 2
DMC 5
Ni No Kuni 2
Sony Japan JRPG
The Last Guardian launch trailer
Ace Comabt 7 gameplay
Gravity Rush 2 demo
3rd party Japanese exclusives (Nier, Nioh, etc)
Resident Evil 7 trailer
Yakuza 6 localization (pls Gio)
FFVIIR gameplay
Death Stranding Mads Mikkelsen reveal

PSX of dreams
Bloodborne 2 isn't in development nor is Miyazaki even interested right now.

Simo

Well that's disappointing news after not seeing or hearing anything really since E3 but oh well.

Thankfully, and hopefully, Red Dead will make up for it.
tumblr_ofd5fjDprl1ukholjo1_500.gif

Which ... doesn't exactly fill me with confidence when it comes to when the game will actually be released.

Going back to this list, this takes a lot of wind from the sails of Sony's E3 2016

Spider-Man - ???

Games take time to develop, a child could tell you that. But I'm not a fan of announcing these games years before they're ready and this actually makes the point for smaller E3 presentations with only more immediate titles being presented.

This gen has for MS and Sony been a lot of long-winded announcements for games that take ages before they're ready. Show the game when its ready to be shown, not before.

God Of War was always a 2018 game in my mind. Same for Spider-Man. I like to know what studios are working on so early announcements don't bother me. Same for a game like FFVII Remake. Just knowing that the games are being made is good enough for me.

Bloodborne 2 isn't in development nor is Miyazaki even interested right now.

I completely disagree. I think Bloodborne 2 is absolutely in development and would not be surprised to see it at E3 next year. I've had this argument before so I don't feel like rehashing it again today.

Well that's disappointing news after not seeing or hearing anything really since E3 but oh well.

Thankfully, and hopefully, Red Dead will make up for it.
tumblr_ofd5fjDprl1ukholjo1_500.gif

Already counting on this being delayed.

God Of War was always a 2018 game in my mind. Same for Spider-Man. I like to know what studios are working on so early announcements don't bother me. Same for a game like FFVII Remake. Just knowing that the games are being made is good enough for me.

I completely disagree. I think Bloodborne 2 is absolutely in development and would not be surprised to see it at E3 next year. I've had this argument before so I don't feel like rehashing it again today.

Already counting on this being delayed.

It's not an agree disagree thing.
He's literally said that he's not interested in sequels or spin offs to the souls series right now including Bloodborne.
They're working on 3 other games right now and they're hands are full with that.

Hoje0308

Banned
Lol Probably should of nixed the hopefully part. Of course it'll be there given the partnership and deal between Rockstar and Sony.

Maybe. I don't think it'll be there, but who knows, anything could happen. I'm talking about attaching hope to what is probably a 2018 game. Assume the worst when it comes to R* and release dates and you'll probably end up with realistic expectations.

It's not an agree disagree thing.
He's literally said that he's not interested in sequels or spin offs to the souls series right now including Bloodborne.
They're working on 3 other games right now and they're hands are full with that.

One of those games is Bloodborne 2. Agree to disagree. Don't need any quotes as I remember you were the same person I had this discussion with the last time so it would be a complete rehash. Neither of us is going to budge on this.

One of those games is Bloodborne 2. Agree to disagree. Don't need any quotes as I remember you were the same person I had this discussion with the last time so it would be a complete rehash. Neither of us is going to budge on this.
So despite Miyazaki literally saying he's not working on Bloodborne 2, he's working on Bloodborne 2 because reasons?

So despite Miyazaki literally saying he's not working on Bloodborne 2, he's working on Bloodborne 2 because reasons?

Agree to disagree. I'm done. You can't provide an EXACT quote from him saying that because it was never said. And no Souls does not equal Bloodborne so don't waste my time.

You guys are delusional.

No you see what you want to see. He said they were working on a game that is expected, but because of your agenda you dismiss that game being a sequel to Bloodborne. I know yo don't want to miss out again. It's understandable.

Agree to disagree. I'm done. You can't provide an EXACT quote from saying that because it was never said. And no Souls does not equal Bloodborne so don't waste my time.

No you see what you want to see. He said they were working on a game that is expected, but because of your agenda you dismiss that game being a sequel to Bloodborne.

GameSpot said:
Miyazaki also told us about how there are no plans, at least not right now, for a Dark Souls IV or Bloodborne 2. Additionally, he cleared up his previous comments about a potential Demon's Souls remaster and explained what he hopes the Dark Souls legacy will be.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-3-director-talks-franchises-legacy-poss/1100-6441636/

I'm sorry what was that?

"My agenda"
Sorry I hurt your ego pal.

well you know that developers do lie? Or did you expect Miyazaki to say: Yes of Course im working on Bloodborne 2 - sry for spoiling the Surprise Sony

I mean Naughty Dog also said there won't be an Uncharted Collection for Ps4
Rockstar about GTA 5 and the Next Gen
Nomura about Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 not coming to Ps4

LAM09

Bloodborne 2
DMC 5
Ni No Kuni 2
Sony Japan JRPG
The Last Guardian launch trailer
Ace Comabt 7 gameplay
Gravity Rush 2 demo
3rd party Japanese exclusives (Nier, Nioh, etc)
Resident Evil 7 trailer
Yakuza 6 localization (pls Gio)
FFVIIR gameplay
Death Stranding Mads Mikkelsen reveal

PSX of dreams

Y6 announcement seems unlikely to me. I expect Kiwami or nothing.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I actually hope this rumor about them starting from scratch are true.

E3 Demo got all of those views because it was pretty to look at. Gameplay looked extremely shallow and boring.

I don't necessarily think it looked shallow and boring. Quite the opposite if anything. For me it just didn't look like what I personally want from a God of War game. But again, I'm one of those who wasn't getting bored with the old formula despite Ascension not being great.

You seriously think that all the positive press, all the views and attention the game's received, and all the anticipation for more is just because the graphics are good?

I don't necessarily think it looked shallow and boring. Quite the opposite if anything. For me it just didn't look like what I personally want from a God of War game. But again, I'm one of those who wasn't getting bored with the old formula despite Ascension not being great.

It was entertaining to watch, but those dull, repetitive mechanics won't hold my attention for more than an hour. The old mechanics were great, so good that they even worked in Ascension's fun MP mode. I doubt this new game's combat will hold up well removed from the flashy graphics & setpieces of single player.

KingBroly

Banned
Spider-Man - ???

I hate saying this, but man...everything on that list besides Horizon...I don't think are making 2017. And I still think Horizon will get delayed til like May.

Lmao saving this post for later, oh boy will be fun.
Go right ahead. I've already posted my proof above.
Whatll be even more fun are those that ignore it and go "where the fuck is Bloodborne 2" when the writing has been plain.
It's not like even Dark Souls was intended to have sequels and no Sony isn't going to force them to make Bloodborne 2 if they don't want to.

Go right ahead. I've already posted my proof above.
Whatll be even more fun are those that ignore it and go "where the fuck is Bloodborne 2" when the writing has been plain.
It's not like even Dark Souls was intended to have sequels and no Sony isn't going to force them to make Bloodborne 2 if they don't want to.

did you miss my post from above?

Again for You -->

well you know that developers do lie? Or did you expect Miyazaki to say: Yes of Course im working on Bloodborne 2 - sry for spoiling the Surprise Sony

Kitase saying they are not working on a FF7 Remake

Jingo

I dont know if bloodborne 2 (just the name its great!) its in development or not, but it sure would be a waist since its sony biggest new ip, and we all know how hard its been this generation to start new ips( the order,driveclub...)

did you miss my post from above?

Again for You -->

Kitase saying they are not working on a FF7 Remake

Or he could've been ambiguous and said "we're not talking about it right now". Yes I saw your post, I ignored it because I didn't think it was worth replying to but since you insist.

Here are the facts based on what's been said:
-Working on 3 titles, kids game, Armored Core, Dark Fantasy ARPG
-Miyazaki is currently not interested in working on any sequels
-expressed numerous times his interest on working on new things
-the dark fantasy game is souls like
-the game is neither Dark Souls IV or Bloodborne 2

Feel free to speculate and continue to make conspiracy theories. But all of the above is more than enough evidence to it not being Bloodborne 2, could it be a Sony exclusive? Possibly and that's worth discussing.

But there is more evidence against Bloodborne 2 than there is for. Sony could've just asked From to make Demon Souls 2 because of the success of Dark Souls and the fact that they already own that IP, they didn't and let them do whatever they wanted and we got Bloodborne and I can see a similar situation happening with their next game. A spiritual successor with different mechanics and setting.

Memento

I think Bloodborne 2 will definitely happens. But I predict E3 2018 for the announcement, no way it is next year already.

Next year is Demons Souls Remastered by BluePoint, pretty please?

Head.spawn

Damn. So just to be sure, we're looking at 2018-2019 at the earliest, right?

I don't know why the hell I got it in my head that this might be a 2017 game.

Top Bottom