• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

Tomeru

It bothers me because it means many people are willing to pay $60 for absolute worthless mediocrity. And in turn, this will have an impact on what publishers think they can charge for shitty games.

When I read comments like this, I just don't know what to say. How do you explain to someone about opinions?

This is such a cop out. I don't think it's far from what most people expected, just that we expected the systems to be done far better, for there to be more to do than basically discover and babysit bars of stamina.

I didn't expect epic space trading, finally crafted worlds or epic space battles... but I did expect more than a bare bones survival game system built into a procedural universe.

You can have fun with what we got, for sure.. it's fun to explore and travel.. but the problem is, you are hampered by bad systems, shitty FPS moments and horrible space combat in a universe that is completely devoid of feeling alive.

I don't think it's a cop out. I did as much research as the next guy, I wanted to like the game because I liked the idea. But everything I saw told me that people were expecting too much, like there were game changers that they chose not to bring up in the previews for whatever reason. The things in bold were things that previews made apparent, and it didn't take playing the game to see that many of those things fell short of expectations. I tried to remain open minded until release, but my skepticism prevented me from a day 1 purchase.

Hopeford

Hmm, feel like I'll pass on the game until it's either on sale or they add the city building stuff they mentioned a while back. Fallout 4 settlement building was a drug to me so if I can have the equivalent of that in randomly generated planets it will totally be worth the money, but so far it just doesn't seem like the game has enough stuff I'm interested in to justify a purchase.

Tiops

I'm really liking the game, but it bothers me how some of these reviews appears to be trying hard to find some justification to give a higher score than they wanted to give.

"Yeah, it's boring and shallow and you'll never want to look at it again after some hours, but at the start it's pretty, and the music is nice, and such a small team..."

icespide

Banned
Well you lose automatically because Chuckee Cheese were for failing kids because its a place of torture and not fun lol

I was just saying the grading system works well with the scores for the most part.

7/10 is not a bad score and its not a good score.........same as a C or C-

eh its a fine comparison. I just wanted to make that joke

ChouGoku

Should we charge $60 for every procedural game on steam early access? You vote with your wallet, our collective purchases have an influence and consequence on the game industry as a whole.

Some people enjoy eating shit, doesn't mean that it tastes good! Anyway, glad you enjoy it (playing NMS not eating shit)!

Of course every procedural generated shouldn't be charged $60, but I am always down to pay $60 for a game that I like (as long as its around launch), I gladly payed $60 for Uncharted 4 which I know wont come close to the hours I will put into NMS. I think we should vote with our wallets and I think this was a good vote. A very good and engaging base game and I'm happy that my $60 will go to free(ish) DLC, which will means I will eventually get more content without paying more than the base price of the game. I really wish more games were like this.

fritzo

Oh there's not nothing do.

It's just that the game basically presents you with chores to do and you have to grind those same uninteresting chores fused with poor gameplay mechanics on every planet.

fair. understandable. but not the first time i've played a game like that. this isn't new.

ASIS

why do people think there's NOTHING to do? Because the game doesn't explicitly tell you to "do thing, get reward, continue". This game treats me like an adult gamer, it surprised me honestly.
I haven't played the game but it seems to me that
A) it's not that there isn't anything to do, it's that there's not enough variety.

B) The tasks I have seen all reward the player almost instantly. Getting feedback for your performance does not seem to be an issue in this game, like at all.

But if you could, I would like you to go a bit deeper in your opinion regarding feedback/ rewards in video games. Why is it a bad thing if a game rewards you?

Bolivar687

Banned
69 seems fair for an ambitious project where your mileage may vary. 9 positive reviews and 12 mixed ain't such a bad ratio.

This game is going to be very divisive. I'm loving it so far, but I'm not surprised that people hate it. Its quite different from anything else I've ever played.

I'm frankly baffled by how high many of the scores are. This is a $60 game and it has almost nothing to do. It's crazy.

I simply don't get it

You aren't the only one, but that's OK, because people like me who do get it, just got the game of their dreams.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Solid B tier game for me. The gameplay loop is really dull but I do enjoy playing when I got some time to kill. Wish there was more of a goal then
starting over
but saving for new ship, lucky out on finding a treasure planet, upgrading shit gives you small things to shoot for.

Can't stand the space combat, dunno if its because using a PS4 controller but I cant seem to hit anything. Sucks that it cuts out your engines when they show up, I end up just running now.

NMS probe be my goof off game of choice for a while (used to be causing mayhem in GTA5)

I'd feel better if it was a $30ish relase

fair. understandable. but not the first time i've played a game like that. this isn't new.
It's not my first time either.

I know the Minecraft comparison keeps getting thrown out there, but I couldn't help but think about it while I was playing yesterday. There's a similar amount of "chores" to be done there with mining, growing crops, harvesting resources, etc. But those are also all centered around a core mechanic of creation, i.e., I do these chores so that I can make some crazy, neat building.

In NMS, I'm not really sure why I'm doing these chores. There doesn't seem to be as entertaining of a "reason" holding them together.

Ducktail

I was going to wait for reviews glad i didnt as i would not have bought it am loving the game

I was actually thinking the same. Were I to read the reviews, I would have probably skipped the game.

I'm glad I bought it, though. It made me long getting home all week long so I could play it again.

The trouble is the game has been passed off as a £40 game, when it clearly is an indie title developed by a small team, you only have to watch a 2 minute clip to realise. Just because it's being billed as this vast game with endless worlds to visit, it doesn't suddenly warrant £40, its procedurally generated for goodness sake.

Compare this to something like Mankind Divided.......doesn't add up.

kewlmyc

It's an exploration game with no clear goal. Kinda like Rust and the ilk. Not for me and not for a lot of people so reviews being all over the place like this is expected.

fritzo

I haven't played the game but it seems to me that
A) it's not that there isn't anything to do, it's that there's not enough variety.

B) The tasks I have seen all reward the player almost instantly. Getting feedback for your performance does not seem to be an issue in this game, like at all.

But if you could, I would like you to go a bit deeper in your opinion regarding feedback/ rewards in video games. Why is it a bad thing if a game rewards you?

Didn't mean that rewards in games are bad. its just different in this game. I honestly I am not a fan of how and what the game rewards you with. It's hard to tell how much progress I'm making as I grind. All I know as far as progress goes is that I'm inching my way closer to the CENTER. I feel like in NMS I have to go seek those rewards. I need a new ship; either I buy one or go find a crashed one. I need 1 particular element (copper for instance), found and abundance of it on 1 planet, now I can't find any in any of the recent systems I've traveled. This game is just so different, I like that it is that way.

SRTtoZ

It sounds like its missing that hook, that thing that keeps you coming back after you turn it off. Glad I held off, especially at that price. Half the price and I have no problem dropping the cash on this now.

brau

Man is this guy always so insufferable? He's like that friend who doesn't have many friends, that when you finally bring him along to watch a movie or something, he plays the cynical pessimist to look cool in a desperate attempt to get you to like him.

I don't think so. TB is usually pretty mellow and gives good info on PC gaming. The game on his rig is running like shit, and that is on a really beefed up rig mind you.

He has reason to be that discontent. The game has him just shooting at plants and rocks, and walking around. Thats it. Obviously the game is not for him... and he is in his right to give out his impressions. He even said that his job is to give information about the game. Usually its the tech side, and some impressions he has on the game. Sooooooooo... yea. maybe you should go watch another stream that has someone more aligned to what you are looking for in a game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This game is tottally my cuo of tea

- I loved the exploration of both Xenoblade
- I have over 120hrs on both Endless Ocean

Is there anything that I might not like with this one?
I don't own NMS and do not even like XCX all too much, however, there is one difference that it obvious from the outside that may make a significant difference to you. The world in XCX is designed by humans, so even though I may complain a lot about missing interactivity and gameplay density in XCX, everything that exists in the world, exists because a designer designed it, ensuring a certain consistency and variety, that make the world visually pleasing and potentially interesting. NMS is procedurally generated and therefore you are lacking the quality ensurance a human design gives. In other words, there is a certain luck factor involved and you may never be quite as content with the worlds you encounter as in a human-designed world. Also, the core gameplay is quite different as far as I can judge, so this might also lead to a different perception of NMS when compared with XCX.

brau

Open the stream, literally the first thing I hear is "yeah I strongly suggest you don't buy this right now because it's broke as fuck"

Well then, guess that's it. TB has a pretty beastly PC too, doesn't he?

he does. he is running a 1080.

Kaversmed

Watching the stream now. Besides awful framerate, the gameplay looks really bland.

Well, tbh he kinda makes the gameplay look bland by repeating "is this all there is to it? how can anyone enjoy holding down a button for an entire game?". He's being extremely facetious. My guess is he already decided he didn't want to like the game before going into it. I do get his criticism with the framerate pops, though - that's awful. :/

Gestault

why can't indie games with small teams be $60?

Some of the price gripes I've seen don't have any substance (obviously, players who get into the groove of things will be getting a lot of hours of play out of it), but I can understand what some people mean when there are games with a similar enough structure that maybe excel in one area or another being sold closer to the $20-30 range. Experiences aren't interchangeable, but I get that reaction from people already into the genre.

Like, it's basically pointing out the actual content on offer feels out-of-line with the price. That's gonna vary for everyone.

Pretty much what we all expected no? Some people love it, some people hate it. But whatever side of the fence you sit on - everyone agrees it needs work and are anticipating what HelloGames add to it in the future.

Top Bottom