• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobody is playing titanfall.

Alx

It only dropped from the most played games list in September, after Diablo and destiny released (and right now FH2 seems to be what everybody is playing)
I admit I stopped playing it in that area too, but intend to get back to it. Best action game of the year as far as I'm concerned.

...then it should have retained players a lot better than it did.

I dunno which is more bullshit, what he said, or you claiming every single map and mode in a game that clearly didn't catch on as well as expected is "excellent".

Even the best shooters ever made have only a handful of truly great moments with maps and modes. I find it hard to believe Titanfall is literally nothing but DM on The Edge, CTF on Blood Gulch, or Defusal on Dust2.

CTF on Angel City and Relic is easily as good as anything. But I'd say the vast majority of maps with the proper mode are up there. The thing is, there isn't a single bad map to be found, and the vast majority are sublime. And the core gameplay loop is deeper than all of the above because you have many of the same principles and mechanics as those (albeit, sans weapon control), but deepened by what amounts to constant platforming at high level play and the sublimely balanced asymmetric warfare that Titans bring to the mix. It really is something else. I've mentioned it before, and I'll continue to say it, but the vast majority of players barely scratch the surface of the game's depth. I cannot stress enough that this is a game that is completely different when played by an experienced player.

Exhibit A;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4EePt37qYc - IGN noobs

Exhibit B:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfaNxIVgqcg&list=UUP66nnrsoxc01bZEh1UKEFQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4h2opmP-mE&list=UUP66nnrsoxc01bZEh1UKEFQ&index=9

Anyone who wants to know what they are missing, I HIGHLY recommend you check out the last two vids.

jadedm17

I just checked again on XBO

FD - 3218 WW
Attrition - 2875 WW
Hard Point - 306 WW
CTF - 320 WW
LTS - 248 WW
MFD - 135 WW
Pilot Hunter - 223 WW
Variety - 168 WW
Campaign - 562 WW

The DLC map packs all have less than 75 players WW.

It's not dead but it's not COD/BF/Halo numbers. More than enough players on to get a match going at all times.

The game is technically sound and a lot of fun it just suffered big time from being on the 2 limpest platforms out there, Origin and XBO.

I'd have bought it on PS4 day one. Settled for a few days with the 360 version from redbox after I scraped up some 48 hr codes from old games. Fun weekend.

EvB

It shows populations on each game mode now when you are choosing between them

Was that in the very latest update.

The player counts do fluctuate lots, Ive tried playing it during the day and haven't been able to get a game, but played it during peak hours and it's been fine

Was that in the very latest update.

The player counts do fluctuate lots, Ive tried playing it during the day and haven't been able to get a game, but played it during peak hours and it's been fine

The game took a hit in the last 2 months. It was heavily populated even in July. I personally think it had a good run.

Dabanton

TBH the level of skill in most matches now is pretty fun, you have a dedicated core of people playing. And imo TF is still the best FPS released this year so far.

The problem is CoD and BF still keep most of the FPS console players. it's a shame as TF is an amazing game people can moan about lack of content la,la,la but the core game and mechanics are still absolutely amazing.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's kind of astonishing that both Titanfall and Destiny bombed in creating a following, while CoD and Halo continue to be successful even when the old crews have been replaced with a new ones. Goes to show how big a role the publisher plays in building franchises. Similarily the offshoots of Rovio execs haven't yet turned to the next Angry Birds.

Vire

It's kind of astonishing that both Titanfall and Destiny bombed in creating a following, while CoD and Halo continue to be successful even when the old crews have been replaced with a new ones. Goes to show how big a role the publisher plays in building franchises. Similarily the offshoots of Rovio execs haven't yet turned to the next Angry Birds.

What the hell are you talking about?...

Bungie Weekly Update 10/10 said:
Destiny averages 3.2 million players each and every day.

Average playtime is still right around 3 hours a day, even on weekdays, one month after launch.

The average player plays Destiny 1.8 times a day.

The average player has played Destiny 20.9 times.

Over the past three weeks, we’ve had more players online in Destiny than we did during the same span for Halo 3 and Halo: Reach, combined.

BokehKing

Banned
I feel the game launch with half the content that it could have. Great game, and super fun. No sure why else it would have died like it did.
Because the game should have came out now... With all the content and modes that are on it now. The lack of content and game modes on this 'flagship' title led me to a rash decision that involved me selling my Xbox One (which now I wish I didn't because I want that D3 game)

That defensive game mode and pilot Hunter game mode should have been there since day 1

BokehKing

Banned
Um... Don't buy into the hate of Destiny on Gaf, the game is kind of huge, it may dip when COD and Halo come out (as expected) but then the first expansion comes out in December, then that non existent fan base you speak of will come back.

Um... Don't buy into the hate of Destiny on Gaf, the game is kind of huge, it may dip when COD and Halo come out (as expected) but then the first expansion comes out in December, then that non existent fan base you speak of will come back.

Now this i'm very curious about. Very curious to see how the expansion pack does. I've been playing Destiny pretty regularly since release and have zero desire to splurge on the expansion pack.

You gotta really love those raids i think to flop down another, what is it? 20?

Alx

Welp, tried it again, still fun.:)
It's true it took longer than usual to start the first game and it was 1 on 1 at first, but it quickly populated and we ended with complete teams for the next ones.

I really liked Titanfall on PC, however the game was FAR too big to keep on my gaming drive (SSD) and I loathe Origin. If the game was 1/3rd the size and on Steam I can definitely imagine keeping it around and frequently dropping in for a game!

Chittagong

Gold Member

The more you learn I guess! I was really under the impression that most people found it borning and dropped it after the first week but the numbers above would seem to indicate that was not the case. Maybe I will need to give it more time myself.

EvB

Fun fact. More playtine has been put into Titanfall in the last 7 days than Forza Horizon 2 since launch

Have a gif:
v946Wk.gif

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
I bought it for xbox one recently and love it. The best shooting mechanics in any console fps in my opinion, the aiming and traversal just feels so damn good. It's helped by the xbox one controller, which has the best analogue sticks I've ever used. (I almost don't want to play my ps4)

For now I'm satisfies with the amount of content. I don't give a shit about campaigns and single player stuff, I have 't even begun the SP campaigns on the last COD games and two BFs.

MaLDo

I've seen a lots of threads about TF numbers and about how dead is the pc version but everytime I want to play I have no problems finding matches in pc. And it's a blast with a 360 controller.

Don't have any consoles, only PC. Was mildly interested in TF.
Now I am worried with some saying PC population is the lowest. And with all my friends on Steam and not on Origin as well... hm.
PC numbers would be great.

EvB

Whoops. Missed a zero .
By the entire population

10942349 days of game have been played in Forza
2350659 In the last 7 days for Forza

1165705 days for Titanfall in the last 7 days
84210312 In total for TItanfall.

I'm not sure if these have been tracked since launch, I'd suspect not.

Don't have any consoles, only PC. Was mildly interested in TF.
Now I am worried with some saying PC population is the lowest. And with all my friends on Steam and not on Origin as well... hm.
PC numbers would be great.

Don't worry, I'll be your friend! PC population is still healthy.

I have the PC version. It can be a wasteland sometimes. I feel like it's going to get worse when Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Halo: Master Chief Collection come out.

T.O.P

Banned
Game is still tons of fun but i don't see it surviving Halo and CoD, wich is a shame because it has a rather distinct personality and gameplay compared to other fpses

jelly

Free map DLC should be happening. Even with a mega following paid DLC still kills communities. Publishers need to take a longer term approach and maximize the original game value instead of front loading sales and hoping for some DLC sales from core fans.

Hip Hop

True. I hate that companies are so willing to split their userbase. I would hope that in the future map packs are free and are used to keep games going. They can charge for cosmetic items like skins and camos and it would probably still be lucrative.

I really hope more companies turn to this. It's no use trying to split up the base. Pack in all the cosmetic shit you want, hell even add paid weapons. Map packs just fuck the whole thing up.

tuna_love

Banned
Whoops. Missed a zero .
By the entire population

Where do you get these numbers from?

Forkball

Well it had problems from day one on PC due to...

-Origin only
-No server browser
-Matchmaking split up into regions, so if you couldn't find a game in your region you had to back out and switch to a different one
-Adding to this split, you had to search through matchmaking by a specific gametype (which fractured the community so much they had to take out some of these game types in matchmaking outside of variety mode)
-Not well optimized
-50 gigs
-Having to wait 90 seconds once you're in a match to actually start. If some asshole leaves, guess what, it goes back to waiting 90 more seconds. Tack all this onto the previous attempts to even get into a damn match.

In short, it was too frustrating to find games on PC so a lot of people dropped it. If this game hit Steam and had servers on day one, I guarantee people would still be playing it.

Hip Hop

No, it's not. I don't think I'd be able to get in matches in less than in a minute in a wasteland.

Nah, it gets pretty dead depending on the time on PC.

Like right now on the U.S. servers.

There are only around 80 people on the new mode, 50 on Attritation.

Everything other mode is zero. And you really can't play in other data centers as the ping is substantially high. 200ms plus outside of the U.S.

jesu

Whoops. Missed a zero .
By the entire population

Where are you getting those figures from?

And they say Forza has been played more than Titanfall in the last seven days.
Yet you said Titanfall had been played more.
This is confusing :/

Nah, it gets pretty dead depending on the time on PC.

Like right now on the U.S. servers.

There are only around 80 people on the new mode, 50 on Attritation.

Everything other mode is zero. And you really can't play in other data centers as the ping is substantially high. 200ms plus outside of the U.S.

It's 3 in the morning PST. People sleep. Except me.

EvB

Where are you getting those figures from?

And they say Forza has been played more than Titanfall in the last seven days.
Yet you said Titanfall had been played more.
This is confusing :/

I made a mistake, I said that :p missed a zero off

Naked Lunch

The time to kill in TF is way too quick. Plus its simply not fun fighting titans as a pilot. The entire game was a flawed (failed?) experiment. I never played a game that got old so quickly - and I like competitive MP the most of any genre. The numbers dont lie.

Top Bottom