• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobody is playing titanfall.

The time to kill in TF is way too quick. Plus its simply not fun fighting titans as a pilot. The entire game was a flawed (failed?) experiment. I never played a game that got old so quickly - and I like competitive MP the most of any genre. The numbers dont lie.

TTK is still higher than most CoD's, and made even higher by skilled movement - can't kill what you can't track. To me there is nothing more thrilling than taking on titans (sometimes multiple) as a pilot on foot and winning. Each one is a mini-boss with many different possible avenues for victory.

Kill3r7

The time to kill in TF is way too quick. Plus its simply not fun fighting titans as a pilot. The entire game was a flawed (failed?) experiment. I never played a game that got old so quickly - and I like competitive MP the most of any genre. The numbers dont lie.

I disagree. If you learn the flow of the maps you can do very well against Titans. The gameplay overall is rock solid. If anything, I would argue Titans aren't powerful enough.

Alx

Fighting titans on foot is the best part in my opinion. It's much more fun than Titan vs Titan actually, since the size, power and mobility are so different.
A quick time to kill is important for a fast paced game like this too. You shouldn't have to exchange fire for several seconds when you should be running around. The Titans are there for the longer time to kill anyway.

Hip Hop

Yeah, I got no problem with TTK and Titans at all. I feel like people giving negatives on things like this really haven't got their skills up enough. You have to adapt.

This reeks of someone that didn't really delve deep into the game. Don't get offended but i despise people that think the way you do about shooters. The most engaging and competitive shooter last gen on the console was ShadowRun, but people like you killed the game.

Like Titanfall, there was nothing wrong with ShadowRuns' gameplay. It's amazing gameplay that lacked content casual people need to keep playing. That's it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
GOTY edition must be coming soon on both consoles or something. Game went belly up super fast.

Rymuth

Can only add my personal anecdote. Played this game for free with the 48 Origin deal and it was a desolate wasteland. Took me all through the 48 hours to find players on both sides in order for me to finish the 'campaign'

Game of the Generation, indeed...

I stopped after a week, low player count and dumb grunts make the game no fun.

If they ever make a sequel:
1. more real players, up to 12 vs 12
2. make titans harder to get
3. no grunts
4. traditional story mode

MP only was a huge mistake. There is an audience for MP only shooters, but there's also a lot of competition for that audience.

I can't imagine how a campaign would work in a sequel, the mechanics don't seem suited to the COD/BF style linear shooting gallery and what story there was didn't fire up anyone that I could see.

Pena

Neo Member
I don't kinda play it anymore, only because the rounds are too short. I don't want to spend my time staring menus.

3. no grunts

1. no. big team duels suck in almost every shooter other than BF.
2. I agree with this
3. Grunts serve a purpose, it allows you to move around the map more freely. This is a very calculated addition to the game.
4. sure. why not.

And when did you pick up this game? because it has had a heavily populated community since launch on the console. Only recently has it started to dwindle.

jesu

3. no grunts

Why not just ignore the grunts if they made the game no fun?

The Cowboy

As i said in the other thread, i recon they made the mistake of releasing the game to soon and unfinished.
---
This game had loads of potential, with just 6 months more they could have had the game release with everything it has now and then used the PvZ GW model for its DLC packs (free DLC funded by buying burn card packs/cosmetics whilst also earning them in game). It released with to little content, poor optimization, funnelling people into attrition (HP/CTF point changes etc), bad match making (also no browser on PC) AND then they released community splitting DLC - then add on pissing off PC players with removing modes (at least they added them back).

Its been great that they've supported the game with updates, but titanfall was mismanaged from the start and its no surprise its dropped its population so fast - especially on PC.
---
Like I've said before, they need to scrap the map packs/season passes and make all map packs available to all for free, in return give all map pack/season pass buyers a bunch of black market credits and cosmetics, then release a TF complete edition at a decent price and put the game on a good sale - If if they don't do something fast just think what will happen next month with the population numbers (COD release).

1. no. big team duels suck in almost every shooter other than BF.
2. I agree with this
3. Grunts serve a purpose, it allows you to move around the map more freely. This is a very calculated addition to the game.
4. sure. why not.

And when did you pick up this game? because it has had a heavily populated community since launch on the console. Only recently has it started to dwindle.

CoD had 18 max players in small maps, Titanfall has huge maps, 24 players will work. Grunts are just dumb cannon fodder that is the main problem of the game, it's not a substitute for real people. They're a stupid distraction which if you kill, reveals your location to camping cloaked real enemies and then proceed to killing you.

Running around an empty map for minutes trying to find a living soul to shoot is the flaw of Titanfall. It's especially bad in a CoD-like game like Titanfall as encounters with enemies could take milliseconds, it's even worse when people go in their titans and there are even less people to shoot at.

Special C

CoD had 18 max players in small maps, Titanfall has huge maps, 24 players will work. Grunts are just dumb cannon fodder that is the main problem of the game, it's not a substitute for real people. They're a stupid distraction which if you kill, reveals your location to camping cloaked real enemies and then proceed to killing you.

Running around an empty map for minutes trying to find a living soul to shoot is the flaw of Titanfall. It's especially bad in a CoD-like game like Titanfall as encounters with enemies could take milliseconds, it's even worse when people go in their titans and there are even less people to shoot at.

Grunts were never intended to be a substitute for real people.

jesu

So use a silencer if you insist on shooting grunts.

mcz117chief

Man, you really missed the point of the game, didn't you ? The player count is perfect. Can you imagine 24 titans on any of those maps ? That would be just pure BS ! Not to mention that you would COMPLETELY destroy the idea behind the game.

I think a lot of people just don't want t spend a lot of time on an online only game.

With Master Chief collection and COD AW coming soon why invest in something like destiny or titanfall?

Tomash

Bots are a great addition to the game. It completely kills camping, as you need to kill bots for points and/or to get titan fast, and you need to prevent other pilots and titans from killing your team's bots. And you won't be able to do that corner camping CoD-style. Pace is much slower in Pilot Hunter where scoring on bots is disabled, and it slows down to a crawl in pilot only mode Pilot Skirmish.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I played the shit out of it for the first month. It's still my favorite competitive FPS ever after MW2.

It was obvious that it was going to die quickly though. Lack of diversity and variety.

I sold it a long time ago, but you can bet I'll buy the next iteration on Day 1.
You want to praise it so much, but that is a failure for a multiplayer only FPS.

I played on PC during the recent free weekend and I had a hard time finding a game, even then it was rarely with more than 4 other people.

The lack of being able to choose a server is really discouraging. It's fun but no need to play it over like Battlefield 4.

So use a silencer if you insist on shooting grunts.

Silencers don't fit my playing style.

Man, you really missed the point of the game, didn't you ? The player count is perfect. Can you imagine 24 titans on any of those maps ? That would be just pure BS ! Not to mention that you would COMPLETELY destroy the idea behind the game.

You really missed the point of my comment didn't you? With 24 players, I also propose the idea of making titans harder to get, also restricting the number of titans that can be used at a time, making them more meaningful and more coveted to get.

FeD.nL

So I just recently got into Titanfall and for me it's the best mp shooter of the past few years. There are so many things it just nails. I play mostly Hardpoint and don't have any issues finding full matches. Furthermore reading over some of the suggestions it seems people want an entire different game. I like the bots for what they are, giving me stuff to do while decreasing my Titan cd. I also like the bots because they just increase the sense of conflict with the gunfights between the AI. Furthermore I was capping a point and 2 grunts come in the room and started a conversation with eachother about Spectre's. Something I just didn't expect and really gave some personality to these AI soldiers.

Making Titans harder to get, just why would they do that? They are not killstreaks, they are integral to the gameplay, it's not some bonus you get for fighting well it's part of the game. In my opinion the pilot vs. titan gameplay is very balanced, as a pilot mobility is your greatest weapon. The gunfights just get a whole new dimension with the movement provided in the game. The TTK is more than fine, you have to be smart about you movement use the jetpack and most of the time a skilled player can win a gunfight against 2/3 player opponents.

Hip Hop

People really don't get that the player count is perfect. 24 players would be a clusterfuck with that low TTK.

Ever play Ground War (aka 18 players) on Call of Duty?

Just death after death after death.

This game is way too fast faced, very fast death. The map size is perfect, you have the speed and tools to get to your spots and enemies quick. If you can't find anyone, that's on you.

Anion

At the most, I hope the next game has a no grunt mode with 16 players max. Anything more will be annoying as heck considering the fast pace of the game.
I would rathet have 12 tbh

People really don't get that the player count is perfect. 24 players would be a clusterfuck with that low TTK.

Ever play Ground War (aka 18 players) on Call of Duty?

Just death after death after death.
I completely agree.

Cod works with a higher player count because you cant just jump over walls and such.

jesu

Silencers don't fit my playing style.

You really missed the point of my comment didn't you? With 24 players, I also propose the idea of making titans harder to get, also restricting the number of titans that can be used at a time, making them more meaningful and more coveted to get.

If your play style is to shoot the grunts you find annoying and therefore reveal your location on the map to other players, then yeah I can see your point.

mcz117chief

No, I did not. You propose to increase player count which just doesn't work with the way the game is supposed to be played.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
No, I did not. You propose to increase player count which just doesn't work with the way the game is supposed to be played.

Plus making Titans harder to get defeats the whole.fucking.point of the game. I want to get the Titans as fast as possible, it's one of the reasons the game was so fun for me.. If you don't want Titans or want to minimise their time just play a different damn game.

mcz117chief

Plus making Titans harder to get defeats the whole.fucking.point of the game. I want to get the Titans as fast as possible, it's one of the reasons the game was so fun for me.. If you don't want Titans or want to minimise their time just play a different damn game.

exactly

Kill3r7

QaaQer

Is it possible most people prefere fps games without a lot of verticallity? The 10 000 000+ super popular fps games have always focused on a single plane. In fact, most super popular games are like that (wow, dots, lol, candy crush, diablo, borderlands, skyrim, etc).

I know critics want new experiences because they play like 100 games per year, and so are really tired of regular people games. Maybe there is a reason more people are playing COD/Destiny/BF4 even though they aren't revolutionary or whatever was being written last march about TF.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The fun in the game is the verticality and parkouring but it gets boring with no one to shoot at. The maps are empty.

The game feels to me that it was made for Hardpoint, you'll never not find a firefight in that mode as it's all centralised over a few specific points. With modes like Attrition I could see that but then I don't like that mode at all. Last Titan Standing and Hardpoint are the best modes of the game IMO. They have just the right mix of Titan and Pilot action and are extremely fast paced.

mcz117chief

The fun in the game is the verticality and parkouring but it gets boring with no one to shoot at. The maps are empty.

First of all the maps are pretty small so I never felt like I was looking for players and then you can shoot all the ai around: grunts, specters, ships, animals, etc.
Second, if you were to make Titans too hard to get or limit them then you would change them into Call fo Duty'esque killstreaks where the best players get the ability to dominate the other team even more. Titans are not supposed to be better, they are just different, if there were 4 titans against 8 pilots then the titans would be wiped in seconds.

On most maps with 6v6 the game it is far from empty.

I absolutely hate the COD mentality where it's small maps filled with tons of players, shooting someone every corner is also not fun.

Hyun Sai

I always said that releasing a competitive MP only shooter at that price tag was suicide considering the competition on console or even worse, PC.

No surprise here.

Thread title's hyperbolic, but the game could do with more players, especially on the new map packs. Hopefully the rumour about TF potentially going free to play is true.

axb2013

No one I played with in PC beta got the full game so I didn't either and we just went back to BF4.

Activision must be thinking that the difference between their 3/5 reviews and Titanfall 5/5 reviews was the exosuit, I don't think it's quite as simple as that. On the other hand, COD:AW might drive the final nail in the TF coffin simply due to timing.

I don't think the franchise can recover. Respawn took dat MS money, I'm positive the no PS4 clause paid off in the short term but in the process of cashing in, they bet on the wrong platform. They needed to get a foothold on all 3 platforms if they were to build a franchise.
Or gone MMO, the inital grind and no single player felt very much like an MMO.
By the time the sequel comes out, "copycat COD" and Destiny will make it an uphill battle for Titanfall to gain a player base.

biteren

No one I played with in PC beta got the full game so I didn't either and we just went back to BF4.

Activision must be thinking that the difference between their 3/5 reviews and Titanfall 5/5 reviews was the exosuit, I don't think it's quite as simple as that. On the other hand, COD:AW might drive the final nail in the TF coffin simply due to timing.

I don't think the franchise can recover. Respawn took dat MS money, I'm positive the no PS4 clause paid off in the short term but in the process of cashing in, they bet on the wrong platform. They needed to get a foothold on all 3 platforms if they were to build a franchise.
Or gone MMO, the inital grind and no single player felt very much like an MMO.
By the time the sequel comes out, "copycat COD" and Destiny will make it an uphill battle for Titanfall to gain a player base.

i really really want titanfall to come to playstation in some form, i hope EA can see the market potential there. if titanfall were to just dissipate like that then that would be a major bummer.

Kordelle

3. no grunts

no
no
no
yes please

Many people (including me) like it the way it is, dont need a Battlefield with Mechs instead of tanks.

I never understood why this game doesn't have cross play between platforms. Would've helped it stabilish a community so much.

But to be honest, it shouldn't matter if there are 4000 or 4000000 players as long as the community is loyal. Metal Gear Online survived with 2000~4000 concurrent players for years.

Apt101

A friend was just complaining about this the other day. He threw it into the X1 after getting off early hoping to get in some quick games, and could only find people to play one particular map for about an hour. 3 PM-ish EST on like a Tuesday, so not the most ideal time, but still. I can find a game anytime I want MP Killzone Shadowfall. So I was surprised, considering how well this game sold. Maybe their matchmaking system has been having issues.

Rembrandt

Banned
Haven't had problems finding any games, minus campaign a while back. Even then, I found matches, they were just uneven by a player or two. I swear by the way you see a portion of this site talk about titanfall, you would think it's a 3/10 game

Top Bottom