• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not confirmed: Dark Souls 3 PC framerate to be locked at 30 fps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much entitlement and hyperbole in one thread. Kind of embarrassing.

You guys. Time to shut down this thread. Dad's here to tell the millenials what it was like before the 1080p's and multiple hertz's. You kids these days feel so entitled to be mad about products not meeting your expectations. In my day we took our 30 frames and we were grateful. There were starving kids overseas with no frames per second.

You guys. Time to shut down this thread. Dad's here to tell the millenials what it was like before the 1080p's and multiple hertz's. You kids these days feel so entitled to be mad about products not meeting your expectations. In my day we took our 30 frames and we were grateful. There were starving kids overseas with no frames per second.

lol.

It's been a long day at work, my sarcasm detector isn't working and this shit is just hilarious.

Spinifex

Ironically games were almost universally 60fps/Hz prior to the 3D era.

RevenWolf

What's even worse is the children without enough polygons to have emotion! :(

But seriously being upset at a locked frame rate is a pretty valid feeling considering it's the platform where choice and options are considered the most important.

Ironically games were almost universally 60fps prior to the 3D era.

Listen here, Missy. When I was a kid took whatever frames they gave us and we were grateful. These days the millenials are always up in arms about frame rates and resolutions. If they would just get a job instead of feeling so entitled they could graduate wtihout student debt and gratefully accept the high quality graphics they are given. When I graduated college I took an entry level job and bought a 30 fps house and a 480p car. Did you hear me complaining? No. I worked and was grateful for what I had. Kids these days!

Related.

Wow this thread is awesome! Not even confirmed and there is like a 10 page hurricane.

I'm not mad at you SoulsGAF. You want what you pay for.

RevenWolf

Wow this thread is awesome! Not even confirmed and there is like a 10 page hurricane.

I'm not mad at you SoulsGAF. You want what you pay for.

I think things are also tense after batman, and this being most likely the last Dark Souls game. (Dark souls not souls esque)

So people are worried that'll it'll face plant instead of having a glorious last ride situation.

Vex_

Banned
I think things are also tense after batman, and this being most likely the last Dark Souls game. (Dark souls not souls esque)

So people are worried that'll it'll face plant instead of having a glorious last ride situation.

I think it is also puzzling. Like, why would this even happen again? I'm not even getting this game on PC and I just want to walk up to the dev studio and ask...

"Why are you doing this...?" Ya know, real journalism at work.

Like, I know we don't have confirmation yet, but we all know it is likely to happen which is why this thread is so large. It is sad that we have to be so paranoid like this...

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Even if it turns out to be capped, I'll just allocate more resources to improving image quality and enjoy playing a good game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vex_

Banned
Even if it turns out to be capped, I'll just allocate more resources to improving image quality and enjoy playing a good game. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

...and if it has terrible performance @30fps and is locked to 1080p with no graphics options other than windowed and high and low "mode"?

...and if it has terrible performance @30fps and is locked to 1080p with no graphics options other than windowed and high and low "mode"?

tumblr_mn4p7ckqcg1sreq5lo1_500.gif

gdt

No way this is capped. It'd be a huge shitstorm after DSII.

At least, I can't believe it'll be capped. DSII is a dream at 60fps.

I dont know why From just doesnt come out from the start and say PC will be framerate unlocked. No reason to cap it even if it does have performance issues.

Grief.exe

I dont know why From just doesnt come out from the start and say PC will be framerate unlocked. No reason to cap it even if it does have performance issues.

Yes there is.

They want journalists to play the game and comment on their experience, having massive performance problems would inherently harm the overall experience and potentially twist the narrative.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Fuck it if it's locked @ 30fps by the devs, I'm not buying, Durante fix or not.

I can't support dev fuckery anymore.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck it if it's locked @ 30fps by the devs, I'm not buying, Durante fix or not.

I can't support dev fuckery anymore.

This x1000. Everyone should just buy and refund it to send a message.

Yudoken

What are they doing with PS4/XBOne then? Also 30 FPS? Gross.

Dude, on console be glad it's not 792p without anastrophic filtering.

There is a big difference between pc and console, even similar weak pc's with 750ti's still manage to run games with with higher visuals and higher/stable framerate.

Most of the times they can't even can get stable 30fps with their custom made low/medium settings.

Stop even mentioning the console version, it's embarrassing.

Plum

So when the Japanese release happens will we know for sure then how the PC port is? Any people here planning to import the PC version or use a VPN to buy it on Steam?

Peltz

Listen here, Missy. When I was a kid took whatever frames they gave us and we were grateful. These days the millenials are always up in arms about frame rates and resolutions. If they would just get a job instead of feeling so entitled they could graduate wtihout student debt and gratefully accept the high quality graphics they are given. When I graduated college I took an entry level job and bought a 30 fps house and a 480p car. Did you hear me complaining? No. I worked and was grateful for what I had. Kids these days!
I gotta admit, this cracked me up.

tcrunch

So when the Japanese release happens will we know for sure then how the PC port is? Any people here planning to import the PC version or use a VPN to buy it on Steam?

PC gaming isn't really a thing in Japan afaik. The PC release there comes out at the same time as the worldwide release. You can only import the console ver for the three weeks early release.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Do you mean actual terrible performance or just PC gamer terrible performance like imperfect frame times or drops to 28 fps?

If it's actually broken I'll get a refund. If not, I'll play it at 1080p running off my SSD and I will enjoy it in proportion to how good a game it is.

I don't understand why so many of you are upset. Did you honestly believe that something like this wouldn't happen again?

I never bought into the narrative that DS1 was frame locked because they didn't take a PC version into account when the game was developed or they were inexperienced.

When this happens it's one of two reasons, incompetence or apathy, and I always lean towards apathy.

On top of that, they know we're going to buy the game. Whether it be 30, 60 or 144 it doesn't matter, everyone here complaining and whining is going to buy the game. I wouldn't be surprised if some of their devs were looking at this forum and laughing at us.

Plum

PC gaming isn't really a thing in Japan afaik. The PC release there comes out at the same time as the worldwide release. You can only import the console ver for the three weeks early release.

Damn, so unless we get an official announcement it's all just speculation until April. Hoping Namco says something soon.

fastmower

Dude, on console be glad it's not 792p without anastrophic filtering.

There is a big difference between pc and console, even similar weak pc's with 750ti's still manage to run games with with higher visuals and higher/stable framerate.

Most of the times they can't even can get stable 30fps with their custom made low/medium settings.

Stop even mentioning the console version, it's embarrassing.
This is a joke, right?

I will not even comment on the comments made by certain users on this topic. So, instead...

"Wherefore" means "why" or "for what reason", not "where" or "from where".

While we're on this topic, one thing that annoys me about FROM's games is that the localization misuses "thee and thou" and the like in every game. It's so annoying, the text reads like the translator just googled "old sounding words" and threw them indiscriminately into certain characters' dialogue.

One example:
Dusk of Oolacile said:
My Faith reneweth
This doesn't mean, "my faith was renewed!" It means, "you [should] renew my faith." If it means anything at all because the syntax is kinda poor in context.

It's the new buzzword.

It's one of the few effective anti consumer ploys to infect forum talk. Expecting something that is absolutely a standard in a game that would benefit from it is "entitlement". To that I say, well, yeah, people are entitled to the product they want and companies generally provide that if they want to make money. I really cant think of any other sort of product where the word entitlement is thrown around like this because if you tried to pull that shit you'd just get laughed out of the room.

I mean if we're not entitled, who is, the companies asking for our money? FFS people.

tl;dr fuck calling people "entitled" ask for more not less.

epmode

I don't understand why so many of you are upset. Did you honestly believe that something like this wouldn't happen again?

Considering the improvement in port quality between the first and second games, you'd be silly to think otherwise.

If there's a 30 FPS lock in the final PC build, I'm out. Not going to make excuses for From after Dark Souls 2's lovely port.

Kieli

This post is perfection. I love it.

They already fucked us over with the downgrade of DS2 that they were completely silent about until the game released. To this day we still don't know what happened there and why the vertical slice was so far apart from the final product, and whether this was Namco's or From's fault and why neither never acknowledged a downgrade until practically launch day remains a complete mystery.

Maybe people are like "naaaah this can't happen! Naaaah they won't do that!" already forgot about that debacle. And yes, still in that thread people called everyone who was bothered by this shallow, or "not true souls fans", or whatever other canned dismissal they could come up with. To me this is history repeating itself, and I really hope the worst case scenario doesn't come to pass this time unlike the last. It killed my hype and I ended up going from "buying day 1" to getting Scholar for PS4 on sale for $15 nearly two years later. It's not the first time I've taken a stand on pre-launch fuckery and it won't be the last.

So yeah, I'm ready to say I'm not buying DS3 on launch day if the framerate is capped. I'll get it at some point down the line, but it'll be for such a low price and so much after the launch that it'll be irrelevant in Namco's eyes. I don't support this at all.

That pic is kinda bullshit anyway. Steam groups are sorted by in-game users. That group was massive and the screenshot only showed the first page.

I was in the group and I certainly didn't buy MW2.

That was pointed out literally the first week that image started making the rounds, but still people continue to post it to this day. It's baffling why some continue to think it's a clever image.

I'm trying to think to DS2 pre-release and I'm pretty sure we didn't know how good PC version was till Gaintbomb had a Quick Look which was a few weeks before it released. I don't think we knew about the frame rate either. Just kinda seems to be how From operates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom