• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not confirmed: Dark Souls 3 PC framerate to be locked at 30 fps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as A team/B team goes, This game has staff from both but I think a major portion of the programming etc. was taken up by the DS2 team after SofFS launch because the rest were on Bloodborne.

As far as A team/B team goes, This game has staff from both but I think a major portion of the programming etc. was taken up by the DS2 team after SofFS launch because the rest were on Bloodborne.

If this is the case unless it was rushed or had some kind of engine problem I have absolutely no idea why it would be locked at 30 frames.

Aurongel

What if they have a ton of systems tied to the framerate ?
It's pretty well documented that their animation system (which affects things like hit boxes and parry windows) is HEAVILY affected by boosting the frame rate. DS2 ran well but had many, many subtle differences when the frame rate went above 30.

I've never considered the A team/B team comparison to apply to the technical acumen of either "team". I've always considered it a difference in terms of level design and gameplay philosophy.

Hypron

These motherfuckers better not lock it at 30fps.

60fps with good frame pacing was one of the major reasons I was looking towards this port.

But considering FROM's past technical "expertise" nothing is certain at this point. I love their games but they all have issues.

If this is the case unless it was rushed or had some kind of engine problem I have absolutely no idea why it would be locked at 30 frames.

From has always primarily been a console dev and the majority of their games run at 30fps. The DS1 port was a rush job thrown out there because of the demand people showed.

Ds2 clearly uses a very different engine/animation system compared to DS1/BB/DeS/DS3 so it may have been easier to get it up and running to 60fps. Even then there were things like ridiculously fast enemy animations and the durability bug.

We all know the little bugs Ds1 runs into when you apply the Dsfix. And BB was built for 30FPS with small drops and frame pacing issues. If we assume that DS3 is using the BB engine it makes sense why they would have a bit more trouble getting it to run well at 60.

This isnt an excuse for FROM because they should know by now what the PC community wants and should be able to plan accordingly. But people acting surprised that 30fps is a possibility from FROMSOFTWARE are being quite funny.

I've never considered the A team/B team comparison to apply to the technical acumen of either "team". I've always considered it a difference in terms of level design and gameplay philosophy.

Also this. People using technical aspects to try and downplay the disparity in quality between DS2 and the others design wise are being disingenuous.

Kama_1082

Banned
Pretty sure SoulsGAF doesn't go around calling Miyazaki a "dumbfuck"

This is just SteamGAF flipping out because of a comment made by someone not involved in the development of the game.
Either way, this whole thread is a disaster.

I'll be quadruple dipping on this game

I'm pathetic

From has always primarily been a console dev and the majority of their games run at 30fps. The DS1 port was a rush job thrown out there because of the demand people showed.

Ds2 clearly uses a very different engine/animation system compared to DS1/BB/DeS/DS3 so it may have been easier to get it up and running to 60fps. Even then there were things like ridiculously fast enemy animations and the durability bug.

We all know the little bugs Ds1 runs into when you apply the Dsfix. And BB was built for 30FPS with small drops and frame pacing issues. If we assume that DS3 is using the BB engine it makes sense why they would have a bit more trouble getting it to run well at 60.

This isnt an excuse for FROM because they should know by now what the PC community wants and should be able to plan accordingly. But people acting surprised that 30fps is a possibility from FROMSOFTWARE are being quite funny.

I don't think we know the engine that DS3 is running on. Bloodborne and DS3 were in dev at the same time. That said, I think 30 fps is a real possibility because BB and DS3 seem to share some striking similarities. I don't think that precludes 60 fps but I do think it makes it a possibility. On top of that, Namco's failure to talk about it is a VERY bad sign.

Kama_1082

Banned
I don't think we know the engine that DS3 is running on. Bloodborne and DS3 were in dev at the same time. That said, I think 30 fps is a real possibility because BB and DS3 seem to share some striking similarities. I don't think that precludes 60 fps but I do think it makes it a possibility. On top of that, Namco's failure to talk about it is a VERY bad sign.
From my untrained eye..with the use of BB menus, and prompts, I think it's using the BB engine

mcrommert

Banned
It kinda makes me sad that the possibility of it being modded is what is going to prob push quite a few copies. I don't think Souls 1 would have gotten anywhere nearly the numbers it had without DSfix.

My patience with From Software is wearing very thing at this point.

Seriously...

Lister

Banned
Why would they tie anythign to frame rate?

Why? Someone explain to me the reasoning behind a programmer looking at an update loop and saying, yep, let's counts the frames!

Explain!

Yeah. We'll see I guess. Would really be a huge bummer as the last souls entry.

I don't think bamco will dare lock it.
If they are it's gonna start a huuge shitstorm.

Huge shitstorm, right?

There will be a thread about how it's unacceptable.
There will be a fix in less than two days.
Everyone who wants the game will still buy it.

This is how it always goes.

Huge shitstorm, right?

Ive been wondering when we would have our first Souls panic thread. This one came pretty late in the cycle compared to the other releases lol.

Plum

Why? Someone explain to me the reasoning behind a programmer looking at an update loop and saying, yep, let's counts the frames!

Explain!

It's more of a company culture thing now than technical, sort of like Bethesda's love affair with Gamebryo. From had been an exclusively console developer up until Dark Souls so with a fixed ecosystem tying animation to framerates could be seen as easier than the alternative.

Explain!

You don't get it. It's.... hmm.... an artistic decision.

The game will be 60 fps at the end, we're just filling some forum pages here cause we are all bored.

Huge shitstorm, right?

I'm curious about this. I am hearing that DX 11 makes fixes much harder? Is a fix really a given for a game based on more current tech like this?

Lister

Banned
It's more of a company culture thing now than technical, sort of like Bethesda's love affair with Gamebryo. From had been an exclusively console developer up until Dark Souls so with a fixed ecosystem tying animation to framerates could be seen as easier than the alternative.

Two issues with that: console frame rates aren't written in stone either, and the souls games specifically, going back to Demon Souls suffered from huge frame rate drops. Frame rates aren't stable and so logic woudl dictate you shouldn't base logic on them.

This isn't just about animations, it's also about game logic. Neither should be coupled to frame rate, IMHO. No, not just IMHO, that should be a RULE.

UrbanRats

And why is that, exactly? BB was assumed to be 30 just because of console limitations.
Just like people assumed DkS3 on console to be 30 anyway.

Were BB to come out on PC, people would've expected it to be 60fps too.

Randam

Lttt(late to the thread): could it have something to do with weapon durability, which was fast with 60 fps in Dark Souls 2?

Tain

Explain!

You're writing a Famicom game and you know your logic will run every time the TV shows an image. Do you bother spending time and hardware resources doing deltatime stuff? Nah. You just make the player move 3 units to the right every update.

Take that approach, which made perfect sense in those days, and bake it into a 30+ year industry-wide practice among Japanese developers (who are almost always working on games that target single closed platforms).

It's a bad habit that is just starting to chip away.

Huge shitstorm, right?

The community should not have to fix this game. If there was a reason the game was locked to 30 there is reason to believe a 60 FPS version would be buggy. DS1 got a pass because it was ported quickly cause of demand. After the game's success on PC and the great job DS2 did this shouldn't even be a discussion right now.

Takuan

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. It's not a deal-breaker for me, I thoroughly enjoyed DS1 at 30.

Totes regretting not buying it at $30 from CDKeys a while back, but I should probably beat DS2 SOTFS before jumping into 3 anyway.

silva1991

No one does.

the A/B talk was never about the Souls games performance.

The community should not have to fix this game. If there was a reason the game was locked to 30 there is reason to believe a 60 FPS version would be buggy. DS1 got a pass because it was ported quickly cause of demand. After the game's success on PC and the great job DS2 did this shouldn't even be a discussion right now.

It won't be locked at 30 anyway
. I'm speaking hypothetically.

CrazyHal

Ive been wondering when we would have our first Souls panic thread. This one came pretty late in the cycle compared to the other releases lol.

Oh this is far from the first souls panic thread. There were interviews for Dark souls 1, 2 and bloodborne all with the person been interview saying that they wanted to make the games more accessible and my god did people lose their shit. Every. Single. Time.

The paranoia of the souls community is really something to behold. On the other hand, it shows how passionate we are for this franchise.

Oh this is far from the first souls panic thread. There were interviews for Dark souls 1, 2 and bloodborne all with the person been interview saying that they wanted to make the games more accessible and my god did people lose their shit. Every. Single. Time.

The paranoia of the souls community is really something to behold. On the other hand, it shows how passionate we are for this franchise.

S/He means first panic thread for DS3.

Finalow

a) it's not confirmed b) if it's actually true (and I'd be surprised considering DkS2 pc port), it sucks, but it probably can be fixed.
at this point I don't really see much of a reason to scream and ye- wait, I'm posting on gaf, nvm.

Are you talking about Bloodborne? Because there's no chance the hitboxes in BB were worse than DS2.
nah, Bloodborne has 2 pigs and a couple of other enemies with some weird / slightly bigger than what it should be hitboxes, which clearly means the whole game has ''shitty hitboxes''. A team learn2code! etc.

Ellite25

Hmm if it's only 30 fps maybe I'll just get it on PS4 instead. I really liked DS2 at 60 fps.

Either way the game will be fucking awesome regardless of framerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom