• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nothing stops this train. PUBG surpasses [-46,278,233,054] concurrent users (!!!!)

HowZatOZ

Banned
Here's a quick guide on what and why PUBG is so successful.

Does it have jank? Yes, but it is excusable because it is in early access and as such still in development. The developers are continuing to fix performance issues as quickly and efficiently as they can.

Will it be abandoned or a "flash in the pan" like other titles before it? Any EA title has that chance, but so far Bluehole seems heavily committed to providing consistent updates and they actually changed their update methods to incorporate longer testing of major game improvements on PBE. With two new maps in production right now, addition of vaulting to the game for better verticality and most definitely new weapons the game is very much active for its development.

There's also one of probably the most important reasons why this game won't suddenly disappear: PlayerUnknown himself is heading this title, hence the game's title. He is the mastermind behind battle royale for gaming as we currently know it thanks to his efforts back in early DayZ Mod days through to ArmA 3 and H1Z1. Because he's able to project his true vision onto the project this is the one that I believe to be the bees knees and why we won't see it as a flash in the pan and some other title come up and be the next cool new BR game.

With that kind of commitment towards development it is understandable why it has sold 8 million plus and a record 800k concurrent users. It is big because it is doing things right, and while it might have miffed people with additions of cosmetic crates (which are at this time now gone and were only for testing purposes) or a eSports competition (which was again really all about testing their ability to actually do such a thing), it still continues to be in development with as much enthusiasm as when it launched.

So yes, it might not tick the right boxes for some, but it is very much a game of thrilling fun and shouldn't be knocked back just because of some jank or ugly graphics. Give it a try, check out a stream or gameplay video and just enjoy it. I mean, I could never have as much fun as I did last night with my mates in any other game like PUBG.

Durante

What game (Regardless of platform has the highest concurrent user at one time?)

My thoughts are WoW or League?
Regardless of platform it might be some F2P cell phone game. Otherwise it's probably LoL. Surely not WoW -- it peaked at ~ 12 million subscribers, and those certainly never logged on all at the same time.

It's more interesting perhaps to look at the paid game with the highest concurrent numbers. That might be WoW, or maybe some iteration of Call of Duty. Or, wait, Minecraft? Hard to say.

Darkrider

PUBG was tops today with respect to peak concurrent players.. pretty insane.

FCEifj8.png

Not sure what the performance complaints are about. I get solid 60fps on my 970 and 6600K. Most things on max. There are some lag spikes early on in a match but that's a server issue.

I wonder if dedicated servers is possible.

This game success makes me want Nintendo to try their own battle royale with Breath of the Wild physics and world when the player first exits the resurrection cave in the Great Plateau.

13ruce

Banned
I still don't get the appeal played it a few times and was bored.

Ohwell i never liked COD, Overwatch too.
Only GTA online, COD zombies, Splatoon and Battlefront and field and online coop multiplayer wise from time to time.

Ohwell great to see dota and counterstrike finally beaten same for LoL.

Rather have a shooter game on top:p that's atleast a bit more enjoyable to watch then a topdown Moba.

Only GTA online, COD zombies, Splatoon and Battlefront and field and online coop multiplayer wise from time to time.

Rather have a shooter game on top:p that's atleast a bit more enjoyable to watch then a topdown Moba.

LoL is not beaten...not even close

Nzyme32

pubgjfjme.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?

Probably at 1 million next weekend

Doing pretty good.

Also new peak for Steam concurrent users despite it not even being the peak day. Expect higher numbers on Sunday.
1 million on PUBG seems quietly likely over the next fortnight on one of the weekends. Beating Dota's peak of 1.2 million (the highest concurrent users a game has had on Steam) is very possible this month. Curious to see how the game will do longer term.

Bring it to PS4 now!!!

Calm down. Looks like MS has this one paid up

LoL is not beaten...not even close

It isn't even remotely close to beating LoL. LoL concurrent users has been higher than Steam's entire concurrent users - it's huge

So am i looking at the stats right? The rip-off of the 4th game in the list is the most played game on PC right now?

If you don't know what you're talking about (and you certainly don't) then maybe keep the declarations of what is and isn't a rip off to yourself. For fucks sake.

No, PUBG isn't a ripoff of King of the Kill. It's a standalone game designed by the same guy who designed King of the Kill (with myriad differences - those being why PUBG is so much more successful), and who created the ARMA BR mods before it, which you probably knew nothing about.

Id enjoy this more if I could get my damn mic to work on PC.

Also, I still cant tell where bullets are coming from and it paranoids me :(

Saty

Durante was banned? :eek:

Will PUBG retain its momentum now that it is facing the immortal nemesis that is School?

I mean, I don't get the appeal of shooting the walls and floor but I don't go in Splatoon threads to shit them up for the boring gameplay. What is even the point of this? lol

Syf

Banned
Probably only LoL and COD are on their own level. If I recall correctly the Black Ops games have done over 2 million concurrent before during the Holidays
LoL's last official update put it at 7.5 mil concurrent so CoD is impressive but not on the same level.

Kane1345

Recently bought it, brilliant game. Very tense and exhilarating, especially when it gets down to the final 10. Nothing scares me more than when I think it's dead quiet and then I get shot out of nowhere. It's akin to a jump scare in a horror game

Top Bottom