• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nothing stops this train. PUBG surpasses [-46,278,233,054] concurrent users (!!!!)

Just want to know, is it fun to play in solo? I want to see what all the buzz is about, but I am afraid that it is difficult to start as I will play it alone.

Backlogger

JaCiRd1.gif

alexbull_uk

how did the game thrive with such a crappy title?...PlayerUnknown's Battleground's?...worst title ever

My theory is that the name is so weird, it made people have a look at the game.

I feel like if it were just called 'Battlegrounds' (or similar) a lot of folks would have skimmed past it for being too generic.

Just want to know, is it fun to play in solo? I want to see what all the buzz is about, but I am afraid that it is difficult to start as I will play it alone.

It's absolutely fun solo, as long as you aren't the kind of player that expects a win every game. If you're ok with winning one in every hundred games on average, there's nothing stopping it being a blast solo.

It runs pretty well in new systems, and the only way it's "ugly" is if you're playing with everything on low.
Car physics are borked up, but ya know, it's a motherfucking early access game.

He did.

Yeah it's an early access game. That doesn't make his statements false. The game really needs optimization and it does look bad compared to other games. It's understandable but still his statements are correct.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah it's an early access game. That doesn't make his statements false. The game really needs optimization and it does look bad compared to other games. It's understandable but still his statements are correct.

What "other games" are you talking about? Which similar games with similar playercounts look better? I'd love to know
No shit it needs optimization. It still plays pretty damn well in new systems. Saying it doesn't is categorically false.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

I have to play on a mix of very low and low to keep above 60fps which is why it looks so ugly, every other game I play on a mix of high/ultra at much higher frame rates. I have a 144Hz monitor and most of the time I can hit the 100+fps sweet spot but it's not even close in PUBG. I'm playing it non stop and enjoy it a lot but it's a technical mess right now, and the servers suck but it's EA so there's still hope. Obviously people with insane PCs can brute force most of the issues, but the majority of people aren't using £500 - £600 GPUs.

fester

Banned
To be honest one of the things that Valve could ever regret is not having Minecraft on Steam. So having a game that could see success similar to that must be great for them in terms of royalties.

Comparisons to Minecraft are a huge stretch but regardless, it's way too early to tell if PUBG has legs or is just a flash in the pan.

"PUBG is doing amazing so that means CS:GO is dying!1111"

Some people man... lmfao.

Congratulations to the developers. I'm personally not a fan of the game but it's great to see such a success story. They took the concept of H1Z1/other games in the genre and showed people what it looks like when a developer actually gives a shit about their player base and improving the game.

It's absolutely fun solo, as long as you aren't the kind of player that expects a win every game. If you're ok with winning one in every hundred games on average, there's nothing stopping it being a blast solo.

As a Splatoon player, I am totally ok with not winning. :p
What should I know before getting started? Thanks in advance.

Comparisons to Minecraft are a huge stretch but regardless, it's way too early to tell if PUBG has legs or is just a flash in the pan.
What's your definition of flash in the pan? It's popularity is only growing, with probably 1 million concurrent players by the end of the year. Games that sell that well don't just drop off.

Hell for all the comments about CSGO dying in this thread, no one would call it a flash in the pan. It released 5 years ago.

jmizzal

This launches with Game Preview on Xbox One. It probably doesn't even have to be 100% ready.

Exactly, I dont know why people think it wont come out this year on Xbox one, its a Game Preview game most of those games are not close to being finished.

MS cant afford to delay another big game anyways too

As a Splatoon player, I am totally ok with not winning. :p
What should I know before getting started? Thanks in advance.
Take your time early on, scavenging what you can. Memorize the places on the map with the biggest lootable areas like the towns, as those will be the places with the most danger. Work on positioning like making sure you're not in open areas with no cover. People can snipe you when you least expect it. Airdrops are high risk/high reward items. You can get great loot but you will expose yourself in doing so.

Biggest thing is knowing when you can avoid a fight you can't win. Remember, the winner is not the one with the most kills. The winner is whoever is the last one standing. If you know this you can place high up in the scoreboard.

snap

Banned

yes. i was afraid of buying the game because i don't really play with friends and past mp-only games i've bounced off of for this reason (like overwatch) but i went ahead and bought it and it was definitely worth it. i imagine it's a bit more laid back and casual with friends, but playing solo it's still a lot of fun. i just got my first chicken dinner (finishing in first place), and oh my god the feel it gives you is so unlike other games. you really get tense--i started shaking after the match was over.

What "other games" are you talking about? Which similar games with similar playercounts look better? I'd love to know
No shit it needs optimization. It still plays pretty damn well in new systems. Saying it doesn't is categorically false.

It looks fine for what it is. The graphics are justified but in general, it's not good compared to other games he's used to playing regardless of the genre. I'm not shitting on the game or anything. I clocked 40+ hours on it this week alone. The jank is excusable yes but let's not pretend it's not there. The game is still fun!

Nah. You need ask yourself why you felt the need to reply to a post about Xbox with a post about PS4. Did you know you could post about PS4 without replying to a Xbox fan who merely stated he want to play this on Xbox? It's crazy.

And yet you still fail to explain why some can post about playing it on their console and others cant.
Careful, your agenda and set of double standards are showing,
The game will be on ps4. I posted about playing on it mine eventually.

Take your time early on, scavenging what you can. Memorize the places on the map with the biggest lootable areas like the towns, as those will be the places with the most danger. Work on positioning like making sure you're not in open areas with no cover. People can snipe you when you least expect it. Airdrops are high risk/high reward items. You can get great loot but you will expose yourself in doing so.

Biggest thing is knowing when you can avoid a fight you can't win. Remember, the winner is not the one with the most kills. The winner is whoever is the last one standing. If you know this you can place high up in the scoreboard.

yes. i was afraid of buying the game because i don't really play with friends and past mp-only games i've bounced off of for this reason (like overwatch) but i went ahead and bought it and it was definitely worth it. i imagine it's a bit more laid back and casual with friends, but playing solo it's still a lot of fun. i just got my first chicken dinner (finishing in first place), and oh my god the feel it gives you is so unlike other games. you really get tense--i started shaking after the match was over.

Thank you. I am going to buy it tonight. Excited to jump in!

And yet you still fail to explain why some can post about playing it on their console and others cant.
Careful, your agenda and set of double standards are showing,
The game will be on ps4. I posted about playing on it mine eventually.
Ok. Go ahead and show me where I said you can't post about playing this on PS4. I'll wait.

Shame Siege still can't catch a break. As much as I enjoy PUBG, I still find Siege a lot more rewarding moment-to-moment. Mind you, Ubi isn't handling it's relative success very proactively.

Also lol, last night watching the Siege finals, you could hear a crowd cheering while watching the PUBG tournament nearby.

I guess that tournament or invitational or whatever it was helped, but Jesus I'm happy. Love this game. Hoping it surpasses Dota 2 at least once by years end.

Ok. Go ahead and show me where I said you can't post about playing this on PS4. I'll wait.

Never said you did. You're coming across as extra salty about it though.

And since you're intent on playing forum cop I expect you will be issuing citations to folks you perceive as fanboys on all sides throughout the forum,
Better get started, you have tons of work to do.
So get over it, live with it or the ignore button. Your pleasure.

Never said you did. You're coming across as extra salty about it though.
Well now you're just engaging in revisionist history. From just half an hour ago. That's got to be a record.

And since you're intent on playing forum cop I expect you will be issuing citations to folks you perceive as fanboys on all sides throughout the forum,
Better get started, you have tons of work to do.
So get over it, live with it or the ignore button. Your pleasure.
Now this is what I call extra salty. You should take your own advice and get over it. After all, you're the one taking an extra paragraph to throw insults. It's quite childish.

Niosai

I have a mid-tier laptop with integrated graphics. Can I possibly hope to play this at the lowest settings? I've been wanting to try it but my computer has been stopping me.

Eggiem

I guess that tournament or invitational or whatever it was helped, but Jesus I'm happy. Love this game. Hoping it surpasses Dota 2 at least once by years end.

I'm happy too. I played this game for like 100h and now the honeymoon phase is over. Not enough new content for my taste+ old early access problems.
HOWEVER: I was able to get sooo much steam wallet funds out of this game because of the high item price fluctuations. It's not even funny anymore.
Let me give you only one example: Bought 50 gamescom crates for 1.10€ each. Sold 25 for 2.55€ one week later. Still 25 left.
Crazy.

Well now you're just engaging in revisionist history. From just half an hour ago. That's got to be a record.

Now this is what I call extra salty. You should take your own advice and get over it. After all, you're the one taking an extra paragraph to throw insults. It's quite childish.

Yes Im salty, even though you're the one upset someone plans to play it on ps4.
The mind of upset fanboys.....
Back to your forum police work, gaf needs you!
After all whose going to look after all the poor non ps4 fans if not you ?

Yes Im salty, even though you're the one upset someone plans to play it on ps4.
The mind of upset fanboys.....
Back to your forum police work, gaf needs you!
After all whose going to look after all the poor non ps4 fans if not you ?
Well now you're just making up lies. When was I upset that people plan on playing this on PS4?

Are you ok? You're arguments are deteriorating and now you're just throwing insults. Perhaps you should hit the ignore button and move on if you're gonna act this way.

Zia

I'm amused that Valve seems to not give a shit about their own shooter being overtaken by an early access shooter. This is the latest patch notes:

CSGO

Happy Birthday CS:GO! Activated Party Mode.

Rumor has it:

With party mode, chickens are now participating in the birthday bash, Zeuses shoot confetti (they're still standard price), and bomb defuses will have balloons

Valve doesn't give a shit about anything except Dota 2 and Steam, only one of which they work on.

Head.spawn

PUBG next week taking that crown:

giphy.gif

Well now you're just making up lies. When was I upset that people plan on playing this on PS4?

Are you ok? You're arguments are deteriorating and now you're just throwing insults. Perhaps you should hit the ignore button and move on if you're gonna act this way.

I saw you from over yonder, persecuting the hell out of him. Don't pretend you didn't.

Vipu

Banned
please no FPS vs TPS war here

and just to be clear on the topic:
do you also prefer Destiny as FPS over The Division or Anthem as TPS?
so even in those genres?
i need to know, if i have to block you right now ;)

I have no interest in those games so I dont prefer any.
For competitive PVP game I would pick FPS over TPS 100%

PUBG next week taking that crown:

giphy.gif

I saw you from over yonder, persecuting the hell out of him. Don't pretend you didn't.
Well I wasn't. I called him out for bringing in console war bs. Not because I was upset that people played on PS4.

I agree though this argument has gone one way too long and I'm partly to blame. I should have stopped replying at some point.

Bluth54

I'm amused that Valve seems to not give a shit about their own shooter being overtaken by an early access shooter. This is the latest patch notes:

Why would Valve care if another game on steam becomes more popular then one of their own games? Do you think Microsoft or Sony are unhappy when a third party game becomes more popular than one of their games?

Also what exactly is a patch to enable birthday more on CSGO's anniversary supposed to prove exactly?

Why would Valve care if another game on steam becomes more popular then one of their own games? Do you think Microsoft or Sony are unhappy when a third party game becomes more popular than one of their games?

Also what exactly is a patch to enable birthday more on CSGO's anniversary supposed to prove exactly?

People were expecting a more significant update for CSGOs 5th anniversary and use that as an excuse as to why Valve doesn't care about the game.

Top Bottom