• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 8th

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I have the impression that MS is always very fast when it comes to communicating a win, while Sony is much slower.
On the other hand, as sales numbers are not important for MS any more - why bother.

The problem is: WHY MS don't care any more?
Then, you go... ;)

DieH@rd

Banned
Rise of the Tomb Raider couldn't even rank in the Top 20 but a 2 year old Need For Speed Rivals did? That is hilariously sad.

Rivals was heavily discounted [as were majority of games on that list], RotTR was not. Low pricepoint is king during BF.

Chobel

It's from a list from users of their software and from those users only ones who shared their receipts. It's another data point, it's not inaccurate but shows what infoscout users bought.

The only company that really has released more market oriented news for BF is Adobe.

Oh, I know. But there's no way that list is representative for the whole market.

-------------------------------

About the PR; even when MS dominated last year Black Friday, they didn't release any PR about it. So not PR from them this year doesn't necessarily mean they lost.

Oh, I know. But there's no way that list is representative for the whole market.

About the PR; even when MS dominated last year Black Friday, they didn't release any PR about it. So not PR from them this year doesn't necessarily mean they lost.

Yes. Only Adobe has released news that are representative of overall market till now since their data comes from 80% of top online retailers.

Knuf

Sarcasm? If not:
MS doesn't release numbers anymore because they pale in comparison to Sony's worldwide. Hence why they switched to talking about XBL subscriptions and Halo 5 revenue.

They did? Where?
IIRC they only talked about MAU numbers last time.

N.Domixis

Banned

why do you doubt sony winning? They were the same price.

why do you doubt sony winning? They were the same price.

XboxOne had gift cards and it seems that they just had more stock all around (judging from the anecdotal evidence in this and BF threads).
Everything is still possible.
I am sure we will soon get reliable info.

Fehyd

Banned
Worth noting that black Friday deals, uncharted ps4 looks to have outsold 299 xbone by about 3 to 1.

There is a LOT of MS stock sitting in warehouses but it looks like nobody is really buying the more expensive 1tb skus.

Keep in mind this is from one retailer and one subset of this retailers stores. So this might not be indicative of any trend country-wide.

mejin

Worth noting that black Friday deals, uncharted ps4 looks to have outsold 299 xbone by about 3 to 1.

There is a LOT of MS stock sitting in warehouses but it looks like nobody is really buying the more expensive 1tb skus.

Keep in mind this is from one retailer and one subset of this retailers stores. So this might not be indicative of any trend country-wide.

Well, we do know Microsoft over ships XB1 since ever.

gtj1092

How many stores and what region? Are you allowed to state your retailer?

Rand6

Yeah. There's a few thousand of the 1tb holiday bundle sitting in a local warehouse. Looks like that's the one MS is hedging their bets on.

I don't get it. Why stores are ordering so much Xbox One? Can you return them to Microsoft?

allan-bh

Sony just announced $299 for Uncharted and Battlefront bundles between december 06 and 19.

Microsoft will have to respond or Xbox One will be crushed in december.

stryke

Sony just announced $299 for Uncharted and Battlefront bundles between december 06 and 19.

It's hardly two months, but I'm wondering if this could backfire in January.

allan-bh

The problem with this Sony move is discourage people to buy the console at $349 when the price go back, the same thing that happened when MS tried to sell Xbox One for $399 after temporary price drop.

Are less days at lower price, but still there's a risk.

Fehyd

Banned
I don't get it. Why stores are ordering so much Xbox One? Can you return them to Microsoft?

It wouldn't surprise me if we see a drop for the holiday bundle in the coming months/xmas. Last time there was this much stock in warehouses MS did the permanent price drop last year.

The problem with this Sony move is discourage people to buy the console at $349 when the price go back, the same thing that happened when MS tried to sell Xbox One for $399 after temporary price drop.

Are less days at lower price, but still there's a risk.
*if

I am thinking Sony was planning a $100 price drop all along. They just managed to take advantage of the $350 price point because it was their first official price drop.

After the amazing holiday sales, they can just say, "Due to the incredible reception of the $299 bundles, we are happy to announce the 500GB PS4 will remain at $299. With games like Uncharted 4, Street Fighter 5, Ratchet and Clank and *insert relevant third party title* on the way, now is a great time to join the Playstation community" or something of that nature.

Somnia

Everyone shocked at how low Battlefront is, but I've been saying for awhile in the prediction threads how Battlefront fell off the cliff hard and fast just a couple days after launch. It barely moved on Black Friday and that Saturday. The hype for the game got deflated real fast by bad word of mouth.

Not saying it won't sell well, but the people suggesting it was going to be some behemoth are in for a shock.

Welfare

*if

I am thinking Sony was planning a $100 price drop all along. They just managed to take advantage of the $350 price point because it was their first official price drop.

After the amazing holiday sales, they can just say, "Due to the incredible reception of the $299 bundles, we are happy to announce the 500GB PS4 will remain at $299. With games like Uncharted 4, Street Fighter 5 and *insert relevant third party title* on the way, now is a great time to join the Playstation community" or something of that nature.

2 price drops in the span of 3 months? Not happening.

Javin98

Banned

Damn, Battlefront bundles as well? Great timing. Star Wars Episode VII is coming out around that time, right? The Battlefront bundles will be flying off shelves at $299 during that time. PS4 is going to have an incredible December.

*if

After the amazing holiday sales, they can just say, "Due to the incredible reception of the $299 bundles, we are happy to announce the 500GB PS4 will remain at $299. With games like Uncharted 4, Street Fighter 5 and *insert relevant third party title* on the way, now is a great time to join the Playstation community" or something of that nature.

Right, making the price drop sound promotional raises purchase urgency. Good strategy actually, if true.

Fehyd

Banned
*if

Might not be the uncharted bundle that goes to 300.

It's probably a placeholder since the number is insane, but there are more battlefront PS4s warehoused than holiday xbones.

allan-bh

*if

It's strange drop the price in october and in january again. Not sure that's the Sony's plan.

Also in the christmas week (a huge week for sales) the price will go back, so this sounds a strategy to maximise december sales selling more pre christmas and not a future permanent price drop

2 price drops in the span of 3 months? Not happening.

It's strange drop the price in october and in january again. Not sure that's the Sony's plan.

Also in the christmas week (a huge week for sales) the price will go back, so this sounds a strategy to maximise december sales selling more pre christmas and not a future permanent price drop
It is technically two price drops but I am more saying Sony really had a $100 price drop for the public but split it up to get as much profit out of the $350 price point before going to the actual price of $299.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to say that. They ruthlessly copied the superior strategy from MS's textbook.
Shame on them. Desperate Sony in defense.

If it works, what's so shameful about using it? It's a tactic, not intellectual property theft. It'd be stupid to not try and emulate successful strategies.

Javin98

Banned
Just wanted to say that. They ruthlessly copied the superior strategy from MS's textbook.
Not only that, but when the PS4 crushes the XB1 in December, Sony is going to get complacent again. They will charge $499 for an Uncharted 4 bundle and you know people will still buy it. How do they get away with it?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

The industry has been ruthlessly copying itself for ages. For relatively recent examples, we have Sony with trophies after Microsoft found success with achievements, Microsoft with "Games with Gold" after Sony found success with PS+ offerings, and Microsoft with the entire relaunched marketing effort for the Xbox One as a core machine for core gamers after Sony found success with that same cue for PS4. Now Sony is doing a bundle deal remarkably similar to Microsoft's from last year, and I don't see why that would prompt anyone to belittle Sony over it. Nor would I do the same if the roles were reversed.

Elios83

I really don't think that Sony is planning to make the 299$ price permanent before Uncharted 4 hits at the earliest.
People are overreacting, this is just two weeks of promotion to maximize sales and cash in on Star Wars.
Promotions like this are commonly done in Europe by Sony as well.
MS last year kept the lower price for two full months and the system was not moving at all at the higher price so the outcome was obvious.
This is a different situation.

Not only that, but when the PS4 crushes the XB1 in December, Sony is going to get complacent again. They will charge $499 for an Uncharted 4 bundle and you know people will still buy it. How do they get away with it?

They will even sell Uncharted 4 bundles with Uncharted 2 in it and noone will notice!

Greenberg and Major were tweeting about it last year, so, they didn't necessarily bite their tongue, but I don't think there was official PR speak, like you said...

sense

the idea could very well be that closer to christmas people are in a last minute rush to get gifts and they will pay the extra 50 bucks if need be

I really don't think that Sony is planning to make the 299$ price permanent before Uncharted 4 hits at the earliest.
People are overreacting, this is just two weeks of promotion to maximize sales and cash in on Star Wars.
Promotions like this are commonly done in Europe by Sony as well.
MS last year kept the lower price for two full months and the system was not moving at all at the higher price so the outcome was obvious.
This is a different situation.
Sony has been at the $399 price point for nearly two years. I just think they are able to go with a full $100 cut by now.

Top Bottom