• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 8th

Elios83

Sony has been at the $399 price point for nearly two years. I just think they are able to go with a full $100 cut by now.

I also think they are. Probably at 299$ they are around break even or a slight loss on the hardware alone but still very profitable overall with games and subscriptions.
But they are also maximizing their profits for the whole Sony group and making two consecutive price drops doesn't make a lot of sense. They really see this as a time limited promotion imo.

Death2494

I also think they are. Probably at 299$ they are around break even or a slight loss on the hardware alone but still very profitable overall with games and subscriptions.
But they are also maximizing their profits for the whole Sony group and making two consecutive price drops doesn't make a lot of sense. They really see this as a time limited promotion imo.
It makes sense if the 299 price point was the goal all along.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If you people all agree that this is a $100 price cut then Chobel got another prediction wrong. Lol

Elandyll

Banned
Sony just announced $299 for Uncharted and Battlefront bundles between december 06 and 19.

Microsoft will have to respond or Xbox One will be crushed in december.
I so called it, as it just made sense to re ignite sales for Dec

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/01/two-ps4-bundles-just-299-99-each-starting-december-6th/

Whatever sales they lose this week by anouncing early will be more than made up by the rush as we near Xmas starting this Sunday...
Nice deal on the BF bundle (I got a slightly better deal with the Kohls GC), I hope stocks will be there.

gtj1092

Well the wording of the price drop announcement was funny. They didn't say a new base price just that the bundles are getting $50 cuts.

Think they will have a $299 sku with no game in January.

I thought they would go to $299 in September didn't happen but always felt they could easily sell it at $299 without taking much of a hit.

Death2494

Well the wording of the price drop announcement was funny. They didn't say a new base price just that the bundles are getting $50 cuts.

Think they will have a $299 sku with no game in January.

I thought they would go to $299 in September didn't happen but always felt they could easily sell it at $299 without taking much of a hit.
Sony increased their profit margins when they released the other PS4 sku (not the 1Tb) but we dont know by how much. With this latest price drop, im sure they are still profitable. They are gearing up for VR where they can be in a better position to have a majority of the market share

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I really truly have no idea what to predict.

The BF deals were pretty close this time around as opposed to last year where the PS4 was $50 more and the Xbox One had the hype of a $150 pricecut from its original Kinect price.

Pre-orders are a major factor, but the preorder gaps between the XBox One and PS4 for the same games from the last few months for november released won't be that big, and traditionally the majority of sales are in november around the BF period.

Because of this, it makes the 1% gap between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 impressive, and still gives it eligibility to possibly win November.

Given the software charts, I say my previous prediction is spot on number wise, with the only possible changing factor being who won.

hey guys, i dont know if this was noted but in amazon this deal is going on

wIlDVTi.png

sounds good to me.

Exactly, sounds good. but from all options to add value this is really the cheapest.
We saw extra controllers, gift cards, games and everything.
Half a year of subscription is pale.
But, I admit, better than nothing and a very simple way to add value. No extra handling of physical goods needed. that's nice.

Man both Sony and MS are going to be ecstatic about November. Its so nice seeing the industry rocking like this. Crazy month.

Also btw MS has more of their "Holiday Strategy" deals coming. Just a heads up

Fat4all

Banned
Exactly, sounds good. but from all options to add value this is really the cheapest.
We saw extra controllers, gift cards, games and everything.
Half a year of subscription is pale.
But, I admit, better than nothing and a very simple way to add value. No extra handling of physical goods needed. that's nice.

It's not black friday anymore, value-added stuff is more limited.

This sounds like a fine deal, no one ever has 1-year of plus for 25 bones.

DieH@rd

Banned
:O :O :O :O :O :O :O

12311212_181416528872074_1432104950229119298_n.jpg

I agree. :O Uncharted Collection bundle is #1 even with $350 price.

This is IMO proof that Sony does not need to make $299 price point permanent. They will maybe extend their December promotion until Christmas, but they will then end it hard. No further extensions.

Target has the $25 save on a PS+ sub and a free The Last of Us Remastered with the $349.99 Uncharted Collection bundle.

Any other retailers doing something like that?

Fat4all

Banned
Wii U needed to be $249 since earlier this year, but it still wouldn't of helped it unfortunately. Super solid sales right now seem to be thanks to Super Mario Maker and Splatoon, I've heard non-gamers talking about those titles in public.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
If Wii U outsells XB1 this month I'll take that as the first of the Seven Signs of the Apocalypse.

Let's see a possible scenario...

XB1 this November: 900,000 ( i personally predict 1.02m )

Wii U this november: 400,000 ( i personally predict 325k)

Now, last year, Wii U got a 140% boost November to December, ( 242,000 -----> 580,000 ), and XB1 only 5% boost ( 1,230,000 -------> 1,290,000 ).

IF we will see those sales in November, and we will see the same boost of last year, then the December result will become:

Wii U: 400,000 + 140% = 960,000
XB1: 900,000 + 5% = 945,000

Ok, not gonna happen, but lmao if will. :p

I would say mission accomplished for Sony. Looks like they have successfully prevented Xbox from making any significant gains in market share this holiday season(if any at all) despite not having any "major exclusives." Shows how much those really matter to the average consumer.

Boke1879

I would say mission accomplished for Sony. Looks like they have successfully prevented Xbox from making any significant gains in market share this holiday season(if any at all) despite not having any "major exclusives." Shows how much those really matter to the average consumer.

It's seeming like Sony came out of this holiday virtually unscathed. Truly amazing, and it sets up the stage next year for them perfectly. Would not be shocked at 35-36 million sold by years end.

Gurish

It's seeming like Sony came out of this holiday virtually unscathed. Truly amazing, and it sets up the stage next year for them perfectly. Would not be shocked at 35-36 million sold by years end.

Well they did lower the price + sold the system for 300$ at Black Friday, so it's not really a big surprise if they are close to MS, it's even a little disappointing I would say considering how much better the PS4 sold when the XB1 price was the same.

Fat4all

Banned
Well they did lower the price + sold the system for 300$ at Black Friday, so it's not really a big surprise if they are close to MS, it's even a little disappointing I would say considering how much better the PS4 sold when the XB1 price was the same.

They did exactly what they needed to do to keep the gap in the US relatively the same.

Last year the gap closed like crazy and through the year it slowly widened. This time next year I can only imagine how large the gap will be.

Elios83

Close for BF doesn't mean close for November+December though.

RexNovis

Banned
:O :O :O :O :O :O :O

12311212_181416528872074_1432104950229119298_n.jpg

If you are going to reference the Amazon charts you need to give us more context and not just a screencap. Is this the monthly chart or hourly? Or is it the "best sellers" chart? Is it for November or December? All of these are important. Simply referencing amazon charts with a picture tells us basically nothing. You should know better.

Edit: So looking into it this screencap is from the "hot new releases" chart which basically means absolutely nothing as it only ranks "new releases" and its ranking metrics are completely unknown. We dont know if this is an hourly update or if its a cumulative update. Hell we dont even know if it ranks by sales since it isnt a "best seller list." You might as well link the "mover and shakers list. Which by the way looks like this:

And then say:
ZOMG GAIZ THE ORDER IS #3 :O :O :O :O

Do you seriously not see how utterly ridiculous that is? We honestly shouldn't be reading anything out of this or any other non monthly or yearly "best seller" list and frankly shame on you Ryng_Tolu for linking it like we should.

If you are going to reference the Amazon charts you need to give us more context and not just a screencap. Is this the monthly chart or hourly? Or is it the "best sellers" chart? Is it for November or December? All of these are important. Simply referencing amazon charts with a picture tells us basically nothing. You should know better.

Edit: So looking into it this screencap is from the "hot new releases" chart which basically means absolutely nothing as it only ranks "new releases" and its ranking metrics are completely unknown. We dont know if this is an hourly update or if its a cumulative update. Hell we dont even know if it ranks by sales since it isnt a "best seller list." You might as well link the "mover and shakers list. We honestly shouldn't be reading anything out of it and frankly shame on you Ryng_Tolu for linking it like we should.

It's the hournly sales chart, I believe:
http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=sv_vg_12

Edit: So looking into it this screencap is from the "hot new releases" chart which basically means absolutely nothing as it only ranks "new releases" and its ranking metrics are completely unknown. We dont know if this is an hourly update or if its a cumulative update. Hell we dont even know if it ranks by sales since it isnt a "best seller list." You might as well link the "mover and shakers list. Which by the way looks like this:

And then say:
ZOMG GAIZ THE ORDER IS #3 :O :O :O :O

Do you seriously not see how utterly ridiculous that is? We honestly shouldn't be reading anything out of this or any other non "best seller" list and frankly shame on you Ryng_Tolu for linking it like we should.
...tell em how u really feel

RexNovis

Banned

The hourly is honestly no better. Its not an accurate barometer of anything and should never be referenced as such. The only thing we should be looking at for reference as far as amazon is concerned are the monthly and yearly charts on which the bundle in question is not even ranked on which, unlike hourly chart rankings, actually tells us something.

...tell em how u really feel

You're damn right I will. You think its an accident that Ryng posted that screencap that cut off the name of the chart and then proceeded to not clarify which chart it came from? I don't. And misleading bullshit like that should not be condoned in a sales thread.

Top Bottom