• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Sir Phillip W. Spencer III has destroyed Xbox, who do you think should replace him?

GHG

Gold Member
Xbox isn’t dead

They checked into the hospital with a persistent cough during the Xbox One days

They then developed a fever during the launch of the Series consoles and their condition has deteriorated as of late and have been moved to the ICU

Their next gen consoles look to be some of those experimental therapies you only get by traveling to 3rd world countries

Their survival is unknown at this point

2025 Xbox coming back to seduce gamers after a year away in Turkey:

plastic_surgery_fails_10.jpg

Last edited:

RickMasters

Bringing back Peter moore or j allard would be great. Outside of Them….. maybe Bobby kotick because he would probably be aggressive with exclusives….. but on the other hand he has no real love for games and how they are made.

Ideally somebody with a creative flair…. Strong leadership skills. Believes in the brand, and recognises that ultimately exclusive content sells platforms. Somebody who appreciates quality. Somebody who looks at the competition and tries to not only put do them but play to their own strengths simultaneously.

With all the studios and resources they have they should be the number 1 in the console space. An insane amount of studio. They could outspend Nintendo and Sony in R&D easily for any new gen hardware at any time. They have the money to outbid them on every deal……

And yet for all that. MS just can’t seem to get any of the crucial things Right. It’s laughable that it’s this bad. I just have no words for it. Honestly se or red a lot better, for them after acquiring Bethesda and ABK.

With the right management…. They would be a power house of a 3p publisher with stuff like COD and their GASS games. While also having the Xbox be treasure trove of exclusives made specifically for the hardware, with all those studio under one umbrella. Phil spencer and co completely lack balls and any sense of vision. They need somebody who lives the brand and loves to compete. Somebody who features to be number 1. I never get that impression with the current team. They all seem better off working in the windows or surface departments. They lack the claws, teeth and aggression to really compete against Nintendo and Sony. But that would change with the right management.

Sony never beat Xbox. Xbox management just keep holding xbox back from what it could have been. And that will continue to be the case until they find a leader with believes in xbox and can walk that line of also being a 3p publisher with some of its games. Instead they are putting games on other consoles and continue to do things that diminish Xbox. They all need to be fired.

Infact. Let me run xbox🤔. It would be a massacre in that board room meeting. Only the devs would be safe. 💯

No one. Might as well keep him at this point. All the Xbox crew seem to love him despite his failings. Besides, I'm enjoying the show.

iu

Last edited:

RickMasters

I understand the community likes to make fun of Don Mattrick (mainly because of Xbox One launch), but the dude made a lot more with a lot less money for Xbox than Phil Spencer ever did.

The thing is Kinect and and Xbox ones luanch will always be the shit stains on his career. Honestly in hindsight they have not had good upper management since Peter Moore left. Mattrick was like “here’s more gears, forza and halo”

The milking of their three big franchise instead of broadening their catalog of exclusives…. Kinect…. The Xbox one launch…. Still not understanding that they need more than three big IP….. it’s amazing how much they try to just….. think they can somehow find some other around that for Xbox to succeed. None of them seemed to get it, except Peter noire and the ones before.

Phil has deffo been worse though. He was given so much more to work with. And just fumbled and lied and double spoke his way through two console gens. Talk about failing your way to the top. There’s just a certain stupidity to MS management you can never really ignore. It’s always present in the things they do with Xbox. Damn shame.

Time for fresh blood to run the ship.

I understand the community likes to make fun of Don Mattrick (mainly because of Xbox One launch), but the dude made a lot more with a lot less money for Xbox than Phil Spencer ever did.
Phil Spencer surfed the wave left by Don Mattrick even in games. When Phil Spencer management took effect, the results for the players were terrible but good for MS.

backward compatibility
launch games on PC through the Play Anywhere program
create gamepass
cancel Scalebound , Fable Legends
make the S and X consoles.
making stupid statements like 'cancelling games is good for games' or saying that single play games are dead then praising Sony for some single play game they made

This is Phil Spencer administration

If Don Mattrick had continued to lead the xbox, he would have made exclusive games like sony did in ps3 era not Android look games, this killed the xbox the desire to profit from low-budget games and launch its games on PC . MS Directors realizing that the xbox had no chance (due to Phil Spencer's incompetence) approved the purchase of ABK and released a budget to subsidize the GP, now the Directors want results and Phil Spencer doesn't have them, so he fires people and closes studios This is Phil Spencer administration.

Last edited:

Oof85

All Microsoft will do is replace him with a diversity hire and continue to ram the brand into the dirt.
See...

This is my exact problem with people who chant DEI when someone looks differently from what a developer/publisher/studio talking head is SUPPOSED to look like.

Phil will be replaced with a diversity hire yet for the last ten years people have been saying he's ineffective and incompetent at his job.

If ineffective and incompetent is what someone with the "right look" gets you, how dare you say what you just did!

I'm so sick of small mindedness from gamers. Full stop.

Said that shit without even a hint of irony.

Last edited:
See...

This is my exact problem with people who chant DEI when someone looks differently from what a developer/publisher/studio talking head is SUPPOSED to look like.

Phil will be replaced with a diversity hire yet for the last ten years people have been saying he's ineffective and incompetent at his job.

If ineffective and incompetent is what someone with the "right look" gets you, how dare you say what you just did!

I don't mind someone that looks different. I just don't want Sarah Bond because we pretty much know she'll run things just like Phil.

I'm not sure it matters. Microsoft culture is Microsoft culture. I have doubts that MS is going to hire any trailblazers here.
That's why I kind of think firing Phil does nothing. He might actually be better than whoever replaces him. I'm guessing we just see more of this consolidation within Xbox until Bethesda has been reduced to the major IPs. That's how Phil actually looks at these companies anyway.

Topher

Gold Member
That's why I kind of think firing Phil does nothing. He might actually be better than whoever replaces him. I'm guessing we just see more of this consolidation within Xbox until Bethesda has been reduced to the major IPs. That's how Phil actually looks at these companies anyway.

If Phil sticks to consoldiating "within Xbox" and leaving everything else alone then that's probably the best we can hope for. The part of this I hate the most is that he dragged in Bethesda to Microsoft's madness.

If Phil sticks to consoldiating "within Xbox" and leaving everything else alone then that's probably the best we can hope for. The part of this I hate the most is that he dragged in Bethesda to Microsoft's madness.
They were already driven mad. If anything, he just added madness to madness.

Metnut

This exercise is sort of like picking a Byzantine emperor after the crusader sack of 1204. It doesn’t really matter who the emperor was afterward. The damage was done.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Games lead the brand for Xbox don’t show me some corporate head, they weren’t shown during the ps2/xbox era it’s once “Major Nelson” arrived eyes were on these corporate head now it’s “phil spensor” and not games.

MH3M3D

Someone who knows what gamers want and knows how to FORCE developers to create games that will actually sell.

Now that's a tale of redemption I didn't expect to see. I'm hooked now. Tell me more.

Funny story though, even though the Don was a complete ahole with his replies in interviews, under his leadership Xbox actually did really well. There were nice hardware gadgets, the hardware itself was good, there were good exclusive games etc. After Phil took over everyone did go down the drain pretty fast 😢.

Funny story though, even though the Don was a complete ahole with his replies in interviews, under his leadership Xbox actually did really well. There were nice hardware gadgets, the hardware itself was good, there were good exclusive games etc. After Phil took over everyone did go down the drain pretty fast 😢.
It was all short-term gains that resulted in long-term crap for Mattrick's decisions. I don't see how you say he did a good job in the end.

Adam Boyes, or any of the old PS guys.
Yeah this, ps3 era Sony had best staff! Dude turned around the ps3 launch failure and exceeded the 360, then bring the brand back to prominence and launched the ps4..
They were gamer focused, had no woke shit and the adverts that launched then were iconic.
Both of them aren't at Sony anymore...

tretton.0.1549616111.jpg
Jack Trenton with VP of marketing: Kevin Butler (i know he is just a hired actor, but come on. It was hilarious):

Kevin_Butler.jpg

Last edited:

Hudo

He also completely destroyed Microsoft's PC gaming business while he was at it. Closing Ensemble and FASA because they "weren't fitting into the strategy" is still something I am salty about.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
P3 is going to fall on his sword in a public display of “learning and growing…but also accepting ultimate accountability”.

In reality he was neutered last year when lost his composure during a YouTube podcast “thing” and said Xbox lost the most important generation of their existence.

Last edited:

Hestar69

xbox is far from dead but it's not looking good. their june show GOTTA be huge.

but maybe phil does need to go and someone else needs to take over who can get these companies to make great 1st party games. the IPS are there!

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Peter Moore is from a different era of gaming...

..but an era I think we kind of need to revert back to. Smaller scopes, higher rate of output, less bloat. Not the forced co-op and online shit from that era but blockbusters with the scope of Uncharted 2 or something, which felt way better paced and less bloated than UC4 for example. Same goes for the first 2 or 3 Gears of War games compared to 5.

The stakes are way too high now, budgets are so ridiculous that if a game doesn't sell like 4 million in the first week the publisher is on suicide watch.

See...

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for a new person to take his place, but I’d rather have an industry veteran rather than Gay Connie, the mentally unstable transgender time bomb with blue hair, that also happens to be black.

There are people out in the world that have the knowledge and experience, like Corinne Yu an Asian programming genius that worked at NASA and helped 343i for a while. Maybe even John Carmack the rocket scientist that pioneered a powerful game engine that still exists in some games today. Both of these people have a ton of experience in the industry. But the last thing I want is quite literally someone that checks the wrong boxes, those boxes being race, sexuality and gender. Who the fuck cares about that? Give me someone that will move the platform forward and not be a trophy to say “hey look, we’re inclusive!”

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Yeah this, ps3 era Sony had best staff! Dude turned around the ps3 launch failure and exceeded the 360, then bring the brand back to prominence and launched the ps4..
They were gamer focused, had no woke shit and the adverts that launched then were iconic.
Both of them aren't at Sony anymore...

tretton.0.1549616111.jpg
Jack Trenton with VP of marketing: Kevin Butler (i know he is just a hired actor, but come on. It was hilarious):
Eh, you're thinking of Kaz Hirai and Andrew House. Jack Tretton was CEO of SCE America, not the whole thing.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm not sure it matters. Microsoft culture is Microsoft culture. I have doubts that MS is going to hire any trailblazers here.
It's Microsoft culture that's killing Xbox. Putting a Microsoft lifer yes man at the helm dulled any edge Xbox may have had from the OG and early 360 days. Nobody looks at Microsoft and thinks "fun" or "excitement" so it was baffling when they started moving everything to Microsoft Gaming. They need to distance gaming from the office image and put someone at the helm that's more relatable because as it is they're sucking the fun out of the room.

Top Bottom