• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If SSB: BRAW was using the Wiimote there would have been Riots? Why is it not using the Wiimote you think? it is one of the biggest games.

Correction: It IS their biggest [console] game.

Haunted

Kabuki Waq said:
which Genre has the wiimote actually proved to be better for?

mini games dont count as a genre.

*looks at plethora of examples above.* :p

But listen, I realise nothing I say will convince you that the Wiimote can be better than analogue sticks, but you fail to see the important difference. The Wiimote is not only improving existing genres, it (and stylus controls as well, for that matter) is opening up possibilities for all-new genre types to emerge. If that's nothing to get excited about as a gamer, I don't know what is.

taevii

firefoxsux said:
This is not spin.

Playstation = iPod

Playstation have ps1, ps2, ps3, psp
iPod have 1G 2G 3G mini shuffle nano

It is a happy family. ps3 will soar in 2007-2008. iPod launch was expensive and sold less to Creative.

who won the ruler of mp3? :)

ucantspinthisrq9.jpg

Kabuki Waq said:

And exactly why do mini games not count? Mini games are allocated and organized using the same genre compartments as 'full' games, they're just demo versions of the bigger thing. So if the Wii-mote is fundamentally better for mini-games as you've alluded to, then it should be just as fundamentally superior for their extended versions (barring developer incompetence), right?

Epiphyte

Arsenal said:
I'm sure MS is also targeting the handheld market as well. Nobody is going to touch the DS this gen (and probably next too), but that doesn't mean there isn't money to be made and value to be had by establishing a portable platform even if you are not the market leader. The handheld market is only going to get more important in the future and this isn't something that MS is going to walk away from.
I disagree with this, as the market the DS is trying to corner doesn't interest MS. Their primary focus is ensuring that whatever multifunction phone/pda/ipod device that breaks out in the next 5-10 years is running Microsoft software. Right now, their biggest concern is the iphone, not the DS.

In the home console space, MS only showed an interest when Sony began the initial steps towards an integrated set top box (Although most of it didn't materialize, early hype for the PS2 indicated it would support a ton of multimedia/computing features). They will likely take a similiar tack in the portable device market. As long as Nintendo stays in their narrow "game machine only" track, MS has little reason to try and topple them. Meanwhile, by releasing games for the DS, they can help it continue to clamp down on the PSP, which is, ostensibly, a multipurpose device.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
page 37: Checks in to see if the thread has become a stream of consciousness and irrecoverably derailed.

Yep.

How many Dreamcasts were sold?

You know, all i'll say on this matter is anybody who wonders how Nintendo fans got so rabid and nonsensical should read this thread.

Because slowly but ever so surely, the transformation is happening to the Sony fans.

Stinkles said:
page 37: Checks in to see if the thread has become a stream of consciousness and irrecoverably derailed.

Yep.

How many Dreamcasts were sold?
you can't put a price on a babies laugh or a warm summers breeze...

ylvis_

Banned
November 06 Wii Software Sales US:

1. LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS - 412K
2. RED STEEL - 107K
3. SUPER MONKEY BALL: BANANA BLITZ - 64K
4. RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS - 55K
5. CALL OF DUTY 3 - 48K
6. MADDEN NFL 07 - 46K
7. TRAUMA CENTER: SECOND OPINION - 43K
8. MARVEL: ULTIMATE ALLIANCE - 41K
9. EXCITE TRUCK - 39K
10. DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 2 - 27K
11. TONY HAWK'S DOWNHILL JAM - 20K
12. SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS: CREATURE FROM THE - 13K
13. GT PRO SERIES - 10K
14. RAMPAGE: TOTAL DESTRUCTION - 10K
15. AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER - 10K
16. NEED FOR SPEED: CARBON - 10K
17. CARS - 8K
18. HAPPY FEET - 8K
19. MONSTER 4X4: WORLD CIRCUIT - 6K
20. THE GRIM ADVENTURES OF BILLY & MANDY - 2K
21. RAPALA TROPHIES: PRO TOURNAMENT FISHING - < 1K
22. TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: DOUBLE AGENT - < 1K

December 06 Wii Software Sales US:

1. LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS - 519K
2. MADDEN NFL 07 - 133K
3. RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS - 129K
4. RED STEEL - 113K
5. SUPER MONKEY BALL: BANANA BLITZ - 111K
6. MARVEL: ULTIMATE ALLIANCE - 108K
7. CALL OF DUTY 3 - 105K
8. EXCITE TRUCK - 88K
9. TRAUMA CENTER: SECOND OPINION - 69K
10. TONY HAWK'S DOWNHILL JAM - 64K
11. NEED FOR SPEED: CARBON - 63K
12. ELEBITS - 61K
13. DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 2 - 57K
14. RAMPAGE: TOTAL DESTRUCTION - 45K
15. SUPER SWING GOLF - 32K
16. METAL SLUG ANTHOLOGY - 31K
17. CARS - 31K
18. GT PRO SERIES - 30K
19. SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS: CREATURE FROM THE - 29K
20. RAPALA TROPHIES: PRO TOURNAMENT FISHING - 29K
21. AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER - 29K
22. MONSTER 4X4: WORLD CIRCUIT - 27K
23. HAPPY FEET - 26K
24. TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: DOUBLE AGENT - 25K
25. FAR CRY: VENGEANCE - 15K
26. THE GRIM ADVENTURES OF BILLY & MANDY - 9K
27. OPEN SEASON - 8K
28. ICE AGE 2: THE MELTDOWN - 8K
29. WORLD SERIES OF POKER : TOURNAMENT OF CH - 7K
30. BARNYARD - 6K
31. DISNEY'S CHICKEN LITTLE: ACE IN ACTION - 4K
32. ANT BULLY - 3K

January 07 Wii Software Sales US:

1. WARIOWARE: SMOOTH MOVES - 201K
2. LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS - 189K
3. RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS - 81K
4. MADDEN NFL 07 - 56K
5. RED STEEL - 41K
6. CALL OF DUTY 3 - 39K
7. SUPER MONKEY BALL: BANANA BLITZ - 35K
8. EXCITE TRUCK - 33K
9. TRAUMA CENTER: SECOND OPINION - 28K
10. ELEBITS - 26K
11. MARVEL: ULTIMATE ALLIANCE - 26K
12. NEED FOR SPEED: CARBON - 24K
13. DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 2 - 20K
14. RAPALA TROPHIES: PRO TOURNAMENT FISHING - 20K
15. RAMPAGE: TOTAL DESTRUCTION - 16K
16. SUPER SWING GOLF - 16K
17. TONY HAWK'S DOWNHILL JAM - 16K
18. METAL SLUG ANTHOLOGY - 15K
19. MONSTER 4X4: WORLD CIRCUIT - 14K
20. GT PRO SERIES - 14K
21. TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: DOUBLE AGENT - 9K
22. CARS - 9K
23. FAR CRY: VENGEANCE - 8K
24. SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS: CREATURE FROM THE - 7K
25. HAPPY FEET - 6K
26. AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER - 6K
27. WORLD SERIES OF POKER : TOURNAMENT OF CH - 5K
28. OPEN SEASON - 4K
29. ICE AGE 2: THE MELTDOWN - 3K
30. DISNEY'S CHICKEN LITTLE: ACE IN ACTION - 3K
31. BARNYARD - 3K
32. THE GRIM ADVENTURES OF BILLY & MANDY - 3K
33. ANT BULLY - 1K

These are not VGCharts numbers but from Donny over at the IGN Boards. He gets the NPD numbers from a source he can't tell.

This is not spin.

Playstation = iPod

Playstation have ps1, ps2, ps3, psp
iPod have 1G 2G 3G mini shuffle nano

It is a happy family. ps3 will soar in 2007-2008. iPod launch was expensive and sold less to Creative.

who won the ruler of mp3?

(Mostly) Irrelevant fact: Creative is the only Singaporean company to have made any impact whatsoever on an international scale.

Merovingian said:
That doesn't even make any sense. You watch a videogame as much as you play it. I'm sorry if like to get connected to what i'm doing on a bigger level than just doing math on my head. Sorry if ever since the PS1 i trully fell in love for videogames, because here it was, a medium that would let you experience adventures, be a hero, a medium that would be the next step in interactive entertainment.

Sorry if i want more than tetris and super mario bros. I trully am sorry. Sorry if i don't want to feel disconnected from the world in a videogame. But i aknowledge that i do have very different opinions from the normal nintendo fan, just the other day some nintendo fan in this board was saying how Online gaming didn't matter. And that just....it confuses me.

See i don't believe that coming home and not spending time with my family or go out and spend more time with my friends, playing sports and whatever...to play what i believe is a very very minimalistic game, specially when you add in the factor of no online, is a good thing. The only kind of games that are a good excuse to do that for me, are the ones that get me involved in some way, either by how awesome the damm online multiplayer is, wich will actually make me play it with friends, or if the single player is an immersive edge of your seat experience.

There's very simple examples to illustrate this. GRaw 2 on the 360, i loved that game, it was immersive and fun...i can't imagine that game working on the Wii. Because the Wii doesn't have the capability to deliver that kind of experience.
It's a very simple example of a game that isn't close to being the best game of the year or anything like that. Trauma Center? Excite truck? Its the kind of games that i would see me playing in home when i was a kid, or now in my DS when i'm out of the house and want to kill some time.

If this passes as a troll post, if i am banned because i state my honest opinion of what i think, my hobby should be like...well, what can i say? You guys can be there saying what you want, saying how the future should be like, and then a guy comes in and says "No, i don't want it to be like that" and suddenlly he's the problem, he doesn't belong here.

I'm sorry but when i come to this forum i don't see "Nintendo World" in the front page. I own every console on the market because i can, and i only buy the games worth buying, i'm not a defender of any console, i'm a defender of games and features, and sorry if yesterday i had a smile on my face because the future of the industry seemed exciting, and now it doesn't.

I'm terribly sorry.

The problem is that GRAW2 is as generic and dull as they come, i've played it in my brother's top of the line PC and its shoot this shoot that and nothing more, and he(beeing a PC gamer) even said that this game is boring as hell and not very different from other identical games besides its great graphics(i do hope you end up buying BioShock now that's a compelling and different next gen game with good graphics), it could be said that the lack of original games in the industry is because there is too many hardcore gamers buying the same game........heck i could even blame Sony for the end of sega/nintendo days with all the cool gaming thngy which brought much more crap games at that time....

Evlar

Banned
Wii Sports Bowling is the best bowling simulation I've ever played. Really, ANY game that might use information like rate of acceleration and trajectory has at least the possibility of being improved on a motion-sensitive controller. A button press or deflection from center on an analog stick cannot adequately model that, so if your game depends on simulating real-world hand movements the Wii has an edge.

And the pointer functionality is a decent stand-in for mouse-pointing functionality, and the PC is filled with examples of games that benefit from that kind of control (and that have always suffered in the transition to D-Pad or analog control on consoles). I'm not even necessarily talking about FPS here... both RTS and TBS thrive with direct-pointing type of controls.

P90

Kabuki Waq said:

LoZ: TP turned out well despite being rushed. Otherwise it is too early to tell. To steal a Sony-ism, the potential is there to revolutionize action games, StarWars games for sure, weapon-based fighters...

Jeez, it's just over four months outside of launch, and really, I think the only realistic time-frame to expect something that truly validates (games like Wii Sports, Excite Truck and Trauma Center prove the potential is there) the Wii's new control method like Kirby Canvas Curse or Ouendan did for the DS, would be in the latter stages of the next twelve months. Rome was not built in a day, people.

Kabuki Waq said:
plays just as well even better in some aspects with the GC controller.

Complete bullshit. And I own both versions. Unless you have some sort of phobia about using the Wiimote as a sword, the aiming mechanics alone make it a better game on Wii.

lancubap

moku said:
Yup. It's just like Zelda, worldwide will outsell Gears, but that one will be close.

BTW, how close are Zelda(BOTH platforms GC/Wii) and Gears? It has to be REALLY close.

What is the Zelda LTD worldwide ? (Europe is apporx, I know it)

maynerd

Banned
ylvis_ said:
These are not VGCharts numbers but from Donny over at the IGN Boards. He gets the NPD numbers from a source he can't tell.

Hey Junior. I don't think you can post this info here. You might get banned.

psy18

Tim the Wiz said:
Jeez, it's just over four months outside of launch, and really, I think the only realistic time-frame to expect something that truly validates (games like Wii Sports, Excite Truck and Trauma Center prove the potential is there) the Wii's new control method like Kirby Canvas Curse or Ouendan did for the DS, would be in the latter stages of the next twelve months. Rome was not built in a day, people.

Yes, but we are talking about destruction here.

I'm going to swing for the fence and say that any game that has an object as the extension of your hand will be better on Wii once people nail the controls.

This includes:

Bowling
Tennis
Golf
Football
Baseball

and possibly Soccer , Hockey and Basketball.

Trauma Center is great proof of this because the Wiimote is an extension of your hand by way of the surgical tools you use.

ramses01

Banned
Wiitard said:
Well, Sony is also one price cut away from mass market. Just cut the price of 20 gig to, say, 300.

So Microsoft cuts price of core to 199. before is was going to sell x million consoles at a profit p. Now they are selling a x+y million consoles at a loss of at least $100 for console.
You get a bunch of people buying the core and never downloading arcade games, never buying life - very profitable customers.

So how much do you they would sell with core at $199? Say 15 million? That is a loss of 1.5 billion. How much would they have sold without that (you know, Halo 3 coming and all that)? At least some 7 million, right. And now they are making something like $40 on hardware (premium). So they go from a profit of 280 million to a loss of 1.5 billion in just one year. That is HALF of what they invested in the original Xbox right there. In just the first year of this brilliant policy. Yeah, core at 199 for the win...

MS is probably making a lot more than $40 on the premium. With the new 65nm models, MS could probably sell $199 cores at close to break-even on a bill of materials basis. Combine that with ridiculous profits on accessories, high-attach, and strategic advantage from expanding its market leadership, MS has a great rationale to announce a price cut effective immediately at E3, which just happens to be right after the end of their fiscal year. Given the first party line-up 2008 fiscal year, MS should easily meet their goal of being in the black for 2008.

Arsenal

Epiphyte said:
I disagree with this, as the market the DS is trying to corner doesn't interest MS. Their primary focus is ensuring that whatever multifunction phone/pda/ipod device that breaks out in the next 5-10 years is running Microsoft software. Right now, their biggest concern is the iphone, not the DS.

In the home console space, MS only showed an interest when Sony began the initial steps towards an integrated set top box (Although most of it didn't materialize, early hype for the PS2 indicated it would support a ton of multimedia/computing features). They will likely take a similiar tack in the portable device market. As long as Nintendo stays in their narrow "game machine only" track, MS has little reason to try and topple them. Meanwhile, by releasing games for the DS, they can help it continue to clamp down on the PSP, which is, ostensibly, a multipurpose device.

I agree that MS is going to care more of the multipurpose handheld market, but any kind of mass market device is going to get their attention since its a platform that you can extend into other areas. Like you mention, there are already other serious players here like the PSP and Apple gadgets. MS is not going to give up that market to its competitors without a fight and the handheld market will continue to gain in importance as the capabilities of those machines improve.

gkryhewy

Merovingian said:
You guys can be there saying what you want, saying how the future should be like, and then a guy comes in and says "No, i don't want it to be like that" and suddenlly he's the problem, he doesn't belong here.

No, you have it backwards - people were generally engaged in that exact discussion; you're the one who entered as a belittling prick to anyone who disagreed with YOU.

sonycowboy said:
My take

DS: I'm am still stunned by the DS performance. Almost 500k units in February. I know there were shortages, but DAMN! Given that the PS2 is still selling well in the US and Europe after 6 1/2 years, it probably won't have the longevity to pass the PS2. But, it's certainly had the best 2 year performace ever.

Wii: The Wii is still supply constrained and right now, looks like the system to beat in all 3 regions. It's clearly #1 in Japan and Europe and I don't doubt once it gets past it's shortages in the US that it will still have high demand and be ahead of the 360, at least until a price drop.

PS2: Still great numbers and still not at $99. This system will end up selling 130M units by the time this generation is over.

360: A good showing. The number in and of itself isn't great, but it is February and these system has been @ $400 for 16 months now, it's doing quite well.

PSP: Good HW numbers, given it's now at 2 years with no real price drop, but as we all know SW numbers are horrible. At this point, I see no reason for publishers to do anything with the system. There's absolutely no reward and significant risk.

GBA: Slowing down, but still putting money in Nintendo's pockets.

PS3: Worse than anyone could have imagined months ago. I felt it would be bad, but still bumped up my prediction to 160k. I was going to go with 150k. Motorstorm, F1, & Oblivion will likely severely underperform as they aren't going to sell systems and from what I've heard, March sales are just as bad as February's to this point. Only a price drop might help, but a) I don't know if Sony can afford it and b) I don't know how much still having a $500 system is going to help as the premium is what folks think they want.

IMO, the DS and the Wii are the next-gen leaders by a fairly large margin. 360 may have the installed base, but the Wii has ALL of the momentum and could pass the 360 by the end of the year easily. Things can change, but I don't see how Sony being able to significantly better their competitive issues in 2007 and just hope they can stay in the Wii & 360's rear view mirror.

As always, you're the most objective guy here. I totally agree.

If anyone cares, Nintendo made a killing in Canada.

http://www.metronews.ca/storyCP.aspx?pg=./z031527A.xml

Paced by Nintendo, video game sales surge in first two months of 2007
NEIL DAVIDSON

TORONTO (CP) - It appears more Canadians are opening their wallet and grabbing a controller.

Canadian consumers spent $152 million on the video game industry the first two months of 2007, up 61 per cent over the same period last year, with Nintendo leading the way - while helping bring new gamers into the fold.

Nintendo's next-generation Wii console topped Canadian unit hardware sales in February and Nintendo's games accounted for six of the top 10 selling titles in the month, according to The NPD Group, which tracks the industry.

The healthy 2007 sales figures follow a record year in which Canadians spent $933 million on video game hardware, software and accessories - up 22 per cent from 2005. The boom was sparked in part by the November introduction of the Nintendo Wii and Sony's PlayStation 3, plus strong sales of the Xbox 360 and Nintendo's handheld DS system.

Darrel Ryce, director of technology and entertainment for the NPD Group, says Nintendo appears to have attracted a new audience with the Wii.

"You're getting non-traditional gamers who are more than willing to spend $300 to get a system and use it," Ryce said in an interview Thursday.

"I think that's the key difference here. The PlayStation 3, with its price point, is really geared towards the traditional gamer who has no problem spending that kind of money to get into a system."

At $279.99, the Wii is cheaper than its next generation rivals ($399 and $499 for the Xbox 360 and $549 and $659 for the PlayStation 3 depending on model). Plus its innovative controller, which can be used to simulate on screen everything from a fishing rod to a baseball bat, has proved popular with consumers.

The Wii was the top-selling console in February in terms of unit sales, followed by the PlayStation 2 - with consumers taken advantages of lower prices for the PS2 machine.

The Nintendo DS was third, ahead of the Xbox 360, the PSP, Nintendo's GameBoy Advance and the PlayStation 3.

The Wii controller was also the top-selling accessory in February.

In terms of hardware sales revenue, the Wii also led the field in February with the Xbox 360 second and the PS3 third.

"The 360 is doing very well," said Ryce. "They have some top titles in the market as well."

The 360 game Crackdown ranked second in February sales, behind only Nintendo's Wii Play. Lost Planet was No. 6 and Gears of War was No. 9 - both for the 360.

Traditionally, video game sales peak in the holiday season at the end of he year. December 2006, for example, accounted for 29 per cent of the entire video game industry for the year.

Ryce expects 2007 figures to stay hot - despite the normal lull in advance of fourth-quarter releases - as consumers continue to buy new hardware and add to their software collection.

"All three new console systems are doing well, holding their own and definitely selling product," Ryce said.

The lone PS3 game in the top 20 February sales chart was Resistance: Fall of Man at No. 20, although Sony had two PS2 games on the chart (Guitar Hero 2 at No. 10 and EA's made-in-Canada NHL 07 at No. 11) and a PSP title (Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters at No. 16).

Games for Nintendo hardware (Wii, DS, GameCube and GameBoy Advance) occupied 11 of the 20 places on the sales chart with Xbox 360 claiming the remaining five.

© The Canadian Press, 2007

ylvis_ said:

Either take one for the team, or edit those numbers out of your post double-time, quick-march and post-haste, ol' chump or chumpette.

chase

People asking about what the Wii controller is good for: it makes games more intuitive (not necessarily, though sometimes, easier), immersive, and fun. This doesn't happen automatically. Let's go through those three things.

More intuitive: few would argue that swinging your hand to make a character swing a tennis racquet is less intuitive than pressing a button. Same with aiming the bow in Zelda. Pointing at the item you want to select, etc. I'm not going to go through every example for all these things.

Immersion: not the System Shock 2, Metroid Prime types of immersion. I'm talking about aiming in Zelda, throwing the football in Madden. These things are not only more intuitive, but when done right, they feel better than their equivalents. Wii Sports Tennis is a much better game for it, and easily the best Tennis game I've ever played...even though you don't control your character.

Fun: for lots of people, the much-decried waggling is, in all it's 'kiddy gayness,' fun. For me, it harkens back to the days when I went outside and shot Commies with my toy gun. I didn't go out and pretend to press buttons; I went out and waggled. I'm sure some of you have allowed your soul to die a little bit in your hurried rush to adulthood (missing the point entirely), but lots of people have not. For those of us who grew up but kept a bit of our childish spirit, what the Wii does, in part, brings us back to those days and lets us enjoy that feeling again. I sound like the worst of Nintendo fanboys here, but I can't help the fact that, in my case at least, it's true. And it's easily Nintendo's biggest victory.

At this point the Wiimote still has definite weaknessess as well, ones I feel should have been ironed out before Nintendo (rightly, apparently) banked their future on it. For example, FPS controls should have been nailed in-house and documentation sent out to any studio that requested it. I don't know what else because I only have Zelda and Wii Sports.

I'm with you complainers on the technical side. And the fact that there are no great games for the system, and only a few good ones. And the online system. What we're seeing on Wii now is pathetic. I hope all these sales make for a kick in the head for publishers and we'll start seeing good games with some effort put into them. I haven't turned my Wii on for over a month.

Wiitard

Banned
ramses01 said:
MS is probably making a lot more than $40 on the premium. With the new 65nm models, MS could probably sell $199 cores at close to break-even on a bill of materials basis. Combine that with ridiculous profits on accessories, high-attach, and strategic advantage from expanding its market leadership, MS has a great rationale to announce a price cut effective immediately at E3, which just happens to be right after the end of their fiscal year. Given the first party line-up 2008 fiscal year, MS should easily meet their goal of being in the black for 2008.

A lot more then $40 on premium? Counting money they spend to honor the warranties? Don't think so.

Losing $100 buck right now if the sold Core at 199 is optimistic, even considering profits from memory card.

You mentioned high attach rate. You realize, of course, that people who buy premium at $400 might have a slightly different attach rate that people who would buy a core at 199.

Finally, Core at 199 will pretty much mean entering into price war with Nintendo. I see exactly zero evidence right now that MS is anxious for this fight - competing against a 179 Wii without Wii sports with Nintendo ramping up the production and dropping the price.

Now comes the 65mm. Are you saying in will reduce the cost of procucing the core by over $100? Do you have a source for that? How much does the stuff excluding the processors cost: you know RAM, drive, power unit, motherboard?

Well, Sony is also one price cut away from mass market. Just cut the price of 20 gig to, say, 300.

You'r avin a larff aitcha?
[/MichaelCaine]

The PS3 is at *least* 2 price cuts away from $300 - there isn't a hop in hell that they will get the 20gb to $300 by even end of 2008, let alone 2007. And this is the 20gb which doesn't seem to be available much...

I'd be one seriously pissed PS3 owner if the cut $200 off in one price cut. Not feasible.

Wiitard

Banned
gollumsluvslave said:
You'r avin a larff aitcha?
[/MichaelCaine]

The PS3 is at *least* 2 price cuts away from $300 - there isn't a hop in hell that they will get the 20gb to $300 by even end of 2008, let alone 2007. And this is the 20gb which doesn't seem to be available much...

I'd be one seriously pissed PS3 owner if the cut $200 off in one price cut. Not feasible.

Relax, that was a joke. Although in Japan, not so much.

andthebeatgoeson

Boilerbird said:
Didn't we have this very same argument in the PSP/DS wars, back when they were competitive? "OMFG NON-GAMES ARE RUINING THE INDUSTRY," etc. etc.?

In all honesty, Sony, and to a much lesser extent Microsoft, have advanced technology to the point where it's no longer feasible for the average game consumer to purchase one of their consoles. People here are complaining that the rise of Nintendo means that there won't be any new advances in hardware. That isn't true. It just means advances in hardware will, in the future, more closely follow what consumers will pay for that hardware.

In short, the market can't support Sony's $600 price. That much is blatently obvious. HD graphics and enhanced DVD (Blu-ray) should've been released when Sony could price it at $300/console. The Wii pretty much came in and took Sony's market, because Sony decided not to sell to their market anymore.
Nobody ever gets mad at Sony or MS for pushing the envelope too far. Not on this board. Except me. If you (not you boiler) are upset that Sony's sales are falling off and they risk losing 3rd party support, you ever think of blaming Sony for the decisions they made? They raised the asking price by 100% in NA. 100%. That's a Big Mac for 6 bucks, a Honda Accord for 40 Grand, a bus ride for 4 dollars. Newspaper, 2 dollars each day. Car wash, 20 bucks. Haircut, 30 bucks. Condoms, 8 dollars. Lambskin condoms, 20 dollars. Cheapo computer, 2000 US dollars. Gaming computer, 4000 bucks. New Air Jordans, 360 dollars. 40 inch Plasma screen. I've seen some go for 2 grand. Double it, to 4 Grand.

Does any of those seem ridiculous? Do all of them seem ridiculous? Screw what they put into them. You could plate the new Air Jordans with platinum and gold but you'll still wear them out in a year. They could jerk me off on a $4 bus ride but i still only travel the same distance. A $40,000 Honda Accord? **** off. So, why don't we get even more upset at Sony?

Eteric Rice

skinnyrattler said:
Nobody ever gets mad at Sony or MS for pushing the envelope too far. Not on this board. Except me. If you (not you boiler) are upset that Sony's sales are falling off and they risk losing 3rd party support, you ever think of blaming Sony for the decisions they made? They raised the asking price by 100% in NA. 100%. That's a Big Mac for 6 bucks, a Honda Accord for 40 Grand, a bus ride for 4 dollars. Newspaper, 2 dollars each day. Car wash, 20 bucks. Haircut, 30 bucks. Condoms, 8 dollars. Lambskin condoms, 20 dollars. Cheapo computer, 2000 US dollars. Gaming computer, 4000 bucks. New Air Jordans, 360 dollars. 40 inch Plasma screen. I've seen some go for 2 grand. Double it, to 4 Grand.

Does any of those seem ridiculous? Do all of them seem ridiculous? Screw what they put into them. You could plate the new Air Jordans with platinum and gold but you'll still wear them out in a year. They could jerk me off on a $4 bus ride but i still only travel the same distance. A $40,000 Honda Accord? **** off. So, why don't we get even more upset at Sony?

To be honest, it wasn't the price that turned me against Sony, it was the arrogance. The shit they said about how customers would get a "second job" to get a PS3. I knew right then and there that they had lost their ****ing marbles.

ramses01

Banned
Wiitard said:
A lot more then $40 on premium? Counting money they spend to honor the warranties? Don't think so.

Losing $100 buck right now if the sold Core at 199 is optimistic, even considering profits from memory card.

You mentioned high attach rate. You realize, of course, that people who buy premium at $400 might have a slightly different attach rate that people who would buy a core at 199.

Finally, Core at 199 will pretty much mean entering into price war with Nintendo. I see exactly zero evidence right now that MS is anxious for this fight - competing against a 179 Wii without Wii sports with Nintendo ramping up the production and dropping the price.

Now comes the 65mm. Are you saying in will reduce the cost of procucing the core by over $100? Do you have a source for that? How much does the stuff excluding the processors cost: you know RAM, drive, power unit, motherboard?

Ummm, you might consider reading comprehension FTW. I said on a bill of materials basis. The November iSupply breakdown had the premium at $323 and the core at $280. Given 8 months of cost reductions and the switch to 65nm, $230 and $275 or less is not unreasonable.

Of course, $250 and $350 bundles with Gears and Viva Pinata are also pretty hot.

andthebeatgoeson

DeaconKnowledge said:
You know, all i'll say on this matter is anybody who wonders how Nintendo fans got so rabid and nonsensical should read this thread.

Because slowly but ever so surely, the transformation is happening to the Sony fans.
It's glorious. Because it's all so scripted. Same shit we heard years ago, we are see now. Kabuki...I don't know. He seemed like a level headed guy. Now this. But then again, you never know what'll really piss people off (all friend codes and no universal list make skinny something something). This thread is destined for greatness and a lock and a few bans. Like ylvis. You better hope the leak is true. But I see a ban a coming.

Top Bottom