• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

Fredescu

Leondexter said:
You couldn't be more wrong. Mario is probably the only thing the Wii Sports / Wii Play crowd is going to flock to, outside of the Wii titles themselves.
I'm talking about the Wii Health (actually Wii Fit or something?) crowd, which admittedly are non existent at the moment. They will exist though - in droves.

Shompola

Banned
maynerd said:
Are you saying that the X360/PS3 graphics will improve over time but the Wii will not? Interesting.

No, but the ceiling over how much they can improve is probably greater on Xbox360 and PS3.

duk

Banned
Shompola said:
No, but the ceiling over how much they can improve is probably greater on Xbox360 and PS3.

that's an understatement, the leap in technology from GC to Wii isn't that great at all.

Shompola

Banned
duk said:
that's an understatement, the leap in technology from GC to Wii isn't that great at all.

Well of course. But I ment that if the greatest looking game on Wii is X amount good and the greatest game on Xbox 360/PS3 is Y amount good, I would believe that the best looking game on Wii will improve by v percent at the end of the generation, and the best looking game on Xbox 360/PS3 would improve by w percent, where w > v.
I might be talking pure bullshit here but I believe this is true.

I hope I did not confuse anybody :lol

Fredescu

duk said:
I thought there was a GAF thread where a guy was using all sorts of technical words to say that it was theoretically five times more powerful than the GC. Three times in real world terms more likely. Not that there is a standard you can use to say "hmm, I would say that game is approximately 2.8 times more technologically advanced than that other game". So I think both yours and his arguments are pointless until we're still seeing Ninjabread Man Graphics as the norm in three years time.

duk

Banned
miguel_c_hammer said:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you mean graphics technology.

gfx, cpu, bandwidth, memory, you name it... a Wii to a GC is a bit like a car with a low boost bolt on turbo kit

edited my analogy

Eteric Rice

Someone was talking about the Wii's hardware in another thread. They said it could pull off some pretty impressive things, especially since RAM is what was holding the GC back.

Now, you won't see PS3 quality stuff, but you'll likely see some very nice things in the future.

SHIT load is rather accurate. While there are some fun ones like Sonic, Zelda, Trauma Center, etc, the majority is UbiSoft shovelware and movie licensed cashgrabs. The system has so very little going for it from third parties and it's clear that this was going to basically be a system supported by only Nintendo until last May.

True, but the same can be said for the PS2. It had a shit load of bad games, but in that load was quite a few gems. I think that's basically how it works for popular systems (DS hi).

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
duk said:
gfx, cpu, bandwidth, memory, you name it... a Wii to a GC is a bit like a car with a low boost bolt on turbo kit

edited my analogy

You're missing that the Wii has a NEW graphic card, which really makes a difference. The CPU and the RAM aren't that upgraded, but the new GPU offers a ton of new effects to make greater graphics. Now, we just need developers to make use of the tech behind the Wii.

F-Zero GX, Rebel Strike and Star Fox Adventures demonstrates that the Wii is a MONSTER.

Hilarious.

Edit: And RE4, and Metroid Prime... forgot any other GCN effort?

duk

Banned
tanasten said:
You're missing that the Wii has a NEW graphic card, which really makes a difference. The CPU and the RAM aren't that upgraded, but the new GPU offers a ton of new effects to make greater graphics. Now, we just need developers to make use of the tech behind the Wii.

F-Zero GX, Rebel Strike and Star Fox Adventures demonstrates that the Wii is a MONSTER.

Hilarious.

all at an amazing 480p! :D

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
duk said:
all at an amazing 480p! :D

So this is bad? isn't those games graphics amazing?

When I play them, I 'm yet wowed about the spectacular graphics. having and improvement is good, but wasn't needed. They should put the effort on the content more than on the sharpness.

Shompola

Banned
tanasten said:

When I play them, I 'm yet wowed about the spectacular graphics. having and improvement is good, but wasn't needed. They should put the effort on the content more than on the sharpness.

Why not both?

tanasten said:

Yes, those games look great, I'm still amazed by them (and by SSBM). But the X360 and PS3 are both far, far beyond that, even at 480p. The HD means little to me, the graphical improvement makes a much larger difference than the higher resolution.

On the other hand, the Wii can definitely improve A LOT. Most games on it so far look like not-so-great PS2 games, which is sad--I expected the minimum to be at least on par with the average Cube game. And there's still nothing on it that looks as nice as the games mentioned, except Zelda in some ways (the scale is breathtaking sometimes). But we know there are games coming that look better than the best Gamecube games, like Mario Galaxy and SSB Brawl. And I'll bet there's room for some improvement even beyond that.

Hang on a minute.

If PS3 sells as many as they can make, could we possibly bankrupt Sony?

I have an idea.

Yes I know they lose more money if they make them and nobody buys them, don't question my logic!

Nintendo DS 485,000
Wii 335,000
PlayStation 2 295,000
Xbox 360 228,000
PlayStation Portable 176,000
Game Boy Advance 136,000
PlayStation 3 127,000
GameCube 24,000
Xbox 480

wiihaakz9.gif

Wiiiiii ! :D

Just another point to No6, if you compare the Wii 3rd Party sales to the PS3's the Wii completely blows the PS3 out of the water. There are 5 Wii games over 200k, then guess how many are over 200k on the PS3? One ****ing game, and it is Madden. In general, the Wii's 3rd Party sales are pretty spread out, besides for the crappy licensed games like Barnyard. Trauma Center will end up over 300k, which would make it Atlus' most popular game ever in America. Ubisoft has stated many times they are happy with both Rayman and Red Steel's sales, so I don't see what the big fuss is. Publishers should be a lot more worried about the PS3's sales than the Wii.

Jammy

Banned
Stopsign said:
Just another point to No6, if you compare the Wii 3rd Party sales to the PS3's the Wii completely blows the PS3 out of the water. There are 5 Wii games over 200k, then guess how many are over 200k on the PS3? One ****ing game, and it is Madden. In general, the Wii's 3rd Party sales are pretty spread out, besides for the crappy licensed games like Barnyard. Trauma Center will end up over 300k, which would make it Atlus' most popular game ever in America. Ubisoft has stated many times they are happy with both Rayman and Red Steel's sales, so I don't see what the big fuss is. Publishers should be a lot more worried about the PS3's sales than the Wii.

Don't pour salt on the wound, but it does seem kind of funny considering almost all of the games announced in the past three or so months have been for the Wii (Project Treasure Hunter Z, Opoona, Manhunt 2, Metal of Honor: Vanguard, etc. What little PS3 game announcements we hear are first party (LBP, Ratchet and Clank).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Jammy said:
Don't pour salt on the wound, but it does seem kind of funny considering almost all of the games announced in the past three or so months have been for the Wii (Project Treasure Hunter Z, Opoona, Manhunt 2, Metal of Honor: Vanguard, etc. What little PS3 game announcements we hear are first party (LBP, Ratchet and Clank).

Manhunt 2 and medal of honor vanguard are multiplat. you can play both of those on the PS3.

AdmiralViscen said:
sonycowboy, can you tell us what percentage of PS3s sold in February were the 60GB? Is it around 98% like January?

Yes. If not higher. The average selling price for the PS3 was $598.10. The average selling price of the Wii was $248.16.

Jammy

Banned
davepoobond said:
Manhunt 2 and medal of honor vanguard are multiplat. you can play both of those on the PS3.

I'm not sure about Medal of Honor: Vanguard, but I sure as hell know I'd rather play Manhunt 2 on Wii. The game should be so controversial because of the control gestures in addition to the gruesome content. Playing something like that with any other controller should just feel dumbed down.

I've never played the original Manhunt, but am I wrong to assume that Manhunt 2 on Wii is going to cause greater controversy than almost any game to date?

With all the mainstream talk about how Wii makes certain games "feel just like the real thing!", added to its developing mainstream success, I think this could surpass even GTA levels of backlash.

I've always thought these kinds of arguments were bullshit, but even I think Nintendo should tread carefully with this one.

vasuba said:
1ups podcast says SSX blur was only tracked 1 day for NPD feb. so 18K in 1 day isnt bad at all

They're wrong. They like many folks are incorrectly using the calendar month, not the retail month. SSX Blur was released on the 27th (which would be two days in any case for the month not 1, although I guess 1st grade math would get you one day 28-27=1).

But, in truth, the retail month ended on the 3rd, giving the game 5 days of sales.

sonycowboy said:
Yes. If not higher. The average selling price for the PS3 was $598.10. The average selling price of the Wii was $248.16.

Thanks for the info.

There's no way Sony's blaming of the retailers can hold water. If retailers were seeing sales THIS shitty, there's no way they'd avoid ordering a cheaper one.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I seriously don't know why the wii is so popular.

I mean, its games lineup is the worst among the 3 consoles, and almost all of the good ones are made by nintendo anyway.

I've been burned by the N64, so I skipped the GC, which was a wise choice. The wii is so GC like at this stage of the game its not even funny.

I guess i'll just watch this play out before i make my decision on which console to buy. Though i am leaning on the PS3 at the moment cuz of its lineup.

Wiitard

Banned
sonycowboy said:

???? How? Where is the retailer stupid enough to discount a product which spends minutes on the shelf, if not seconds. What is the explanation?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
bobbytkc said:

I mean, its games lineup is the worst among the 3 consoles, and almost all of the good ones are made by nintendo anyway.

I've been burned by the N64, so I skipped the GC, which was a wise choice. The wii is so GC like at this stage of the game its not even funny.

I guess i'll just watch this play out before i make my decision on which console to buy. Though i am leaning on the PS3 at the moment cuz of its lineup.

Dude. Are you serious? A fourth grader can figure out why the Wii is so popular. Could it be the motion controller?

Jammy

Banned
:lol
bobbytkc said:

Well, you can think the Wii as the worst line-up of the three new consoles out there (many people think that but it's because they generally don't like the TYPES of games on the system), but then you go on to say you're leaning towards buying a PS3 because of its line-up at the moment. :lol I'm not saying the PS3's line-up is bad, but right now it's generally widely regarded that the 360 has the best line-up if you think your OMG TEH HARDCORE.

And skipping out on the GCN might be one of your best reasons yet to check out a Wii. There's a good handful of must-haves for the system that you've most likely missed out on. Just consider that, because I wouldn't want you to get burned again. :lol

duk

Banned
bobbytkc said:

never doubt the buying mindset of the mob

AniHawk

sonycowboy said:
SSX Blur was released on the 27th (which would be two days in any case for the month not 1, although I guess 1st grade math would get you one day 28-27=1).

In which case, you'd be wrong, since games almost always arrive the day after "release." It shipped on the 27th and arrived in stores on the 28th. So it was only on sale one day for February.

Wiitard

Banned
Leondexter said:
You couldn't be more wrong. Mario is probably the only thing the Wii Sports / Wii Play crowd is going to flock to, outside of the Wii titles themselves.

Actually, I would not be so sure of that. First and foremost there are sports titles and even, by extension from boxing, some fighters. Transition from Wii Sports to Fight Night Wii is far more obvious an direct that from Wii Sports to Mario.

Perhaps, if not for the gaping flaw that people have no idea what "Fight Night" is, while they stand a far greater chance of knowing who 'Mario' is.

Man, Mario Tennis could clean up.

AniHawk said:
In which case, you'd be wrong, since games almost always arrive the day after "release." It shipped on the 27th and arrived in stores on the 28th. So it was only on sale one day for February.

It was in stores on the 27th. At least, in my store (which is true for almost all EA games -really almost all games except Sony). Your mileage may vary.

Although, the one day isn't as important than the fact that it was available for 4-5 days.

Zaptruder said:
Wrong. It's all a matter of perception. If some loud cheap bastards keep shouting its too much; and it keeps getting repeated, the rest of the world end up thinking the same.

Thus, the cheap syncophants have won. They've gotten what they wanted. A console with 6 year old hardware dominating.

The hardcore gamer in me cries.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Karma Kramer said:
When do you think Nintendo will catch up with the Wii demand?

I hope its soon... cause I will probably grab one when I can actually find one.

I think the Wii´s going to prove to be a bigger phenomenon than people are predicting right now. I exptect it will take more than a year.

----

Banned
Jammy said:
:lol

Well, you can think the Wii as the worst line-up of the three new consoles out there (many people think that but it's because they generally don't like the TYPES of games on the system), but then you go on to say you're leaning towards buying a PS3 because of its line-up at the moment. :lol I'm not saying the PS3's line-up is bad, but right now it's generally widely regarded that the 360 has the best line-up if you think your OMG TEH HARDCORE.

And skipping out on the GCN might be one of your best reasons yet to check out a Wii. There's a good handful of must-haves for the system that you've most likely missed out on. Just consider that, because I wouldn't want you to get burned again. :lol
Objectively speaking, going by average review scores on Metacritic, the Wii has the worst overall lineup. Only 8 Wii games have a good score, 17 for PS3, and 74 for Xbox 360. Wii has a system selling game in Zelda, while PS3 does not have a system seller yet. Besides Zelda, the controller and the price are the main motivating factors for consumers.

AniHawk

sonycowboy said:
It was in stores on the 27th. At least, in my store (which is true for almost all EA games -really almost all games except Sony). Your mileage may vary.

Although, the one day isn't as important than the fact that it was available for 4-5 days.

Maybe SoCal gets screwed. We always get games at least one day late.

bobbytkc said:

I agree with this. I also don't understand DS's popularity, guess people are really digging those non games especially brain age

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Doom_Bringer said:
I agree with this. I also don't understand DS's popularity, guess people are really digging those non games especially brain age

Yeah, those non-games like NSMB, Mario Kart, the upcoming Dragon Quest, etc.. :lol :lol :lol

AniHawk

Doom_Bringer said:
I agree with this. I also don't understand DS's popularity, guess people are really digging those non games especially Nintendogs

For accuracy. Well, in NA at least. Brain Age is the big seller in Japan.

AniHawk said:
For accuracy. Well, in NA at least. Brain Age is the big seller in Japan.

Don't forget those nongames like Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Tetris, etc.

Oh, yeah, FF3 just became a nongame the other day. That too.

Sean*O

Amazing how this thread has grown. The prevailing spin seems to be that Sony doesn't care about the PS3 because they only want to push Blu Ray. Well, look at those low totals, and see that Sony is not propelling Blu Ray anywhere. It's a niche format, and it has about a 1% chance of usurping good old DVD.

There isn't going to be a place for any physical based media to dominate for another 10+ years after DVD goes away (which isn't anytime soon.) Eventually all movies will move toward a model similar to MP3.

Sony has pretty much killed itself with Blu Ray. I don't know why they have always had such tunnel vision as a company that they MUST dominate the media side of the market? Hopefully this Blu Ray disaster-in-the-making will hurt their bottom line so badly that they will never again attempt to control the home video or audio market and just stick to making good hardware.

Their greed and their obsession over owning the video marketplace has resulted in them crippling one of, if the most prized and profitable part of their business.

You can bet they did not plan for things to go this way. They are too arrogant, tell too many lies and have an unhealthy disdain for the intellect of their customers. Try and play your market (fans) like poker chips and this is what happens.

bill0527

Sean*O said:
Sony has pretty much killed itself with Blu Ray. I don't know why they have always had such tunnel vision as a company that they MUST dominate the media side of the market? Hopefully this Blu Ray disaster-in-the-making will hurt their bottom line so badly that they will never again attempt to control the home video or audio market and just stick to making good hardware.

Sony and Phillips secured the patents to the compact disc 20-something years ago. This has been a huge revenue stream for Sony. Many of those patents are set to expire soon and that's why Sony has tried so hard to come up with another dominating media format. When Sony's CD patents expire, they no longer get a licensing fee on every compact disc that is manufactured. I'm sure you can see why they're so persistent in trying to come up with something else to replace that revenue stream they're going to lose.

LJ11

Sean*O said:
Amazing how this thread has grown. The prevailing spin seems to be that Sony doesn't care about the PS3 because they only want to push Blu Ray. Well, look at those low totals, and see that Sony is not propelling Blu Ray anywhere. It's a niche format, and it has about a 1% chance of usurping good old DVD.

There isn't going to be a place for any physical based media to dominate for another 10+ years after DVD goes away (which isn't anytime soon.) Eventually all movies will move toward a model similar to MP3.

Their greed and their obsession over owning the video marketplace has resulted in them crippling one of, if the most prized and profitable part of their business.

You can bet they did not plan for things to go this way. They are too arrogant, tell too many lies and have an unhealthy disdain for the intellect of their customers. Try and play your market (fans) like poker chips and this is what happens.

Just curious, but are you Sean_O from AVS, a guy who happens to be an ardent supporter of HD-DVD?

Top Bottom