• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

Wiitard

Banned
Deku said:
And :lol if you think the players in the industry haven't already shifted their strategy and resource allocations based on these sales data.

There is still the Euro launch.

After that, I think we would see some announcements regarding ports. 360 right now has about 10 mil of Western install base. If PS3 western install base is not seen moving out of the under 2 million fast (with a substantial fraction of those also 360 owners), I can see how a lot of publishers would think twice about whether it's worth porting their games to the very complicated Cell architecture (and make less money per copy because of Blu-Ray costs).

Loss of two or three major ports would be very big news indeed and might happen soon depending on the Euro results.

Kosma

Banned
Wiitard said:
Loss of two or three major ports would be very big news indeed and might happen soon depending on the Euro results.

Euro launch still isn't sold out (through pre-orders) 1 week before launch. You can draw your own conclusions.

Shiggy

oo Kosma oo said:
Euro launch still isn't sold out (through pre-orders) 1 week before launch. You can draw your own conclusions.

And these launch day units seem to be much less than one million, as those are shipments for the whole launch period (~1-2 months).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
oo Kosma oo said:

Now the question is how many units are available first day? If its a lot, then the PS3 might still be selling very well..if not, then Sony is in big trouble.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Deku said:
And :lol if you think the players in the industry haven't already shifted their strategy and resource allocations based on these sales data.
I can assure you this has already started to some degree at many companies. I don't think any massive shifts have happened yet though, it's still too early for that.

Wiitard

Banned
Shiggy said:
And these launch day units seem to be much less than one million, as those are shipments for the whole launch period (~1-2 months).

I for one hope that with Sony pretty much out of the picture MS might maybe show some interest in competing with Nintendo which might maybe possibly put a little tiny fire under their ass - something which is kinda lacking right now.

Neomoto

Shiggy said:
I thought it was for the first week? If that's true than Euro shipments are not so impressive tbh, and as I stated before I wouldn't bet on it that Europe will turn the tide.

Shiggy

Neomoto said:
I thought it was for the first week? If that's true than Euro shipments are not so impressive tbh, and as I stated before I wouldn't bet on it that Europe will turn the tide.

Well, the first week is in the launch period, but that one lasts a little bit longer ;)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, didn't notice the hardware numbers until now. Sony really need to do something...of course, there's the "10 years plan", but I don't think 3rd party developers are willing to wait that long. Maybe things will get better once they get some more good games out but...what they really should be doing is lowering the price fast. They should basically work their asses off to come up with a way to cut the price of the PS3 fast.

I think Sony are doing some things right with Home and Little Big Planet, but it will all be a waste if things don't change for the better sales-wise. Which would be a shame now that they're actually trying something.

Resident Guru said:
This logic kind of depends on one's financial situation. $600 is about 3 days of work for me, and I live in an area with a very low cost of living. For others it might be more than a couple of weeks worth of pay.

IMHO Even is I was making 600 bucks in 3 days I still think 600 bucks for a video game system is too much money. It's entertainment and I just don't feel it's worth that much money, again especially with how quickly these systems are replaced. The average person doesn't make 200 bucks a day that they can spend on entertainment, and I think Sony extremely underestimated this fact and it's biting them in the ass now.

DS and Wii sitting on top = o_O
PlayStation 2 still being a monster = o_O

I think PS3 will see similar underperformance in Europe once launch furore dies down. I think this console's userbase is gonna be slow-burning... but it will take off in a big way eventually. Its inevitable imo.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Kobun Heat said:
Uh. No. The entire industry is going to be affected by this. And has been already. Whether or not Sony mounts a comeback in 2008 can certainly change the extent to which the balance of power in the industry will be altered. But the damage has been done. No takebacks.
Yeah, wait and see does not apply when publishers decide on which projects to pursue. If you want games in 2008, then those decisions need to be made RIGHT NOW.

neoxavean

Banned
jesuschristou5.jpg

Flyguy

So SSX Blur: 18K

Wow. Wii owners complain about 3rd party games not being designed around the strengths of the Wii, and when one is built from the ground up for the Wii they don't buy it. I realize this is a generalization, so spare me that argument.

Was there a MS press release that I missed?

schuelma

Flyguy said:
Wow. Wii owners complain about 3rd party games not being designed around the strengths of the Wii, and when one is built from the ground up for the Wii they don't buy it. I realize this is a generalization, so spare me that argument.

Well, that was only for 2-3 days.

Still a bit disappointing..I'm sure the mixed reviews didn't help...

Sony is doing things right but their most important problem right now is that f***ing high price. They need to get it down.

Add to that a not so good launch line-up (compared to the 360 one that was prepared with much care) and that it has a crowdy market to conquer and you got it.

If I were Sony I would try to release the games as soon as possible. They need to convince the consumer that their games are original, unique and imposible to find on the competition. The price drop is nowadays an imposible thing IMHO.

EDIT: and of course they have to count on (let's see if I can get it right): Forza, Shadowrun, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Bioshock, Too Human, Halo 3, PGR4, Lost Oddysey. Sony, 2007 it's going to be a hell for you in NA. It's fairly possible they gain a lot of momentum with the 2008 releases though.

Flyguy

schuelma said:
Well, that was only for 2-3 days.

Still a bit disappointing..I'm sure the mixed reviews didn't help...

It's SSX. It's not going to get 10's. Most of the reviews seemed solid enough. I didn't realize it was only out for 3 days in February. That said, it should still do better than 1% of the user base. Especially given the relative paucity of releases since launch.

Jammy

Banned
Flyguy said:

Those were sales for one or two days. If the game had been out for more than a week, I'm sure its sales would have been comparable to Virtua Fighter 5. :lol

ylvis_

Banned
Flyguy said:

Hey, it was only out for a couple of days, so don't judge its sales after at least the March NPD.

vasuba

Banned
yeah as others said SSX blur had like 3 days of sales for Feb NPD. 6K or so sales a day isnt that shabby really. so at that pace it would have made 42K in a week. not bad really.

Flyguy

ylvis_ said:
Hey, it was only out for a couple of days, so don't judge its sales after at least the March NPD.

Looks like it was out 5 days. It's not like it's suddenly going to move 100,000 units during March. At best it might move another 20,000-30,000 units. Still woefully inadequate. Fair enough though. I'll hold off my derision until next month.

schuelma

Flyguy said:
Looks like it was out 5 days. It's not like it's suddenly going to move 100,000 units during March. At best it might move another 20,000-30,000 units. Still woefully inadequate. Fair enough though. I'll hold off my derision until next month.

If Tiger Woods sells poorly then maybe you're on to something..I personally think its going to do very well.

Wiitard

Banned
Flyguy said:

Bad piece of new almost certainly. But, you know, it was far, far, far from an obvious fir for Wii with far from obvious controls.

Why are people ignoring Sonic sold 80k? And to be honest, SSX Blur has NO advertising from what I've seen. I at least saw Sonic commericals (empty amusement park because poeple are playing Sonic in one tent)

Jammy

Banned
Yes, people are ignoring that Sonic and the Secret Rings came out and sold over 80,000 in a tad over one week. Also, both Zelda: TP and Wario Ware: SM sold over 100,000, not to mention Wii Play sold nearly 400,000. Add to that the popularity of the Virtual Console (which took off with great releases the past month or so) and everything's running real smoothly from the software end.

schuelma

Zoramon089 said:
Why are people ignoring Sonic sold 80k? And to be honest, SSX Blur has NO advertising from what I've seen. I at least saw Sonic commericals (empty amusement park because poeple are playing Sonic in one tent)

I actually thought it would do a bit better..I mean its not bad or anything, but I thought it might really break out.

No6

Zoramon089 said:
Sonic selling 80k isn't too good, either, considering how the GC entries sold and the overall power of the franchise (as weakened as it is).
Yes, people are ignoring that Sonic and the Secret Rings came out and sold over 80,000 in a tad over one week. Also, both Zelda: TP and Wario Ware: SM sold over 100,000, not to mention Wii Play sold nearly 400,000. Add to that the popularity of the Virtual Console (which took off with great releases the past month or so) and everything's running real smoothly from the software end.
Wario selling as well as it did was interesting, but Wii Play isn't an indicator of anything more than a desire to get a new remote. I'd like to see some VC sales #s before I agree with "taking off", considering how the "new market" that Nintendo is going after isn't too likely to buy nostalgia-loaded NES games over an online service.

Either way, the software sales posted a few pages back did not paint a rosy picture for 3rd party games. Not PSP terrible, but certainly nothing to tell publishers to start investing lots of cash into Wii development. Hell, if Wii Play actually sold for the game then prepare for a scaling back of Wii development dollars as money is funnelled into the greatest PopCap-clone cycle in gaming history.

manzo

I just spent the whole friday evening from 8pm to 12pm reading this thread, while my friends were out drinking beer.

I wish we'd have NPD every friday. :)

No6

vasuba said:
1ups podcast says SSX blur was only tracked 1 day for NPD feb. so 18K in 1 day isnt bad at all
If comments regarding Crackdown are to be believed, Crackdown sold a couple hundred thousand in one day. Day one sales are usually the largest and a decent indicator of longer-term sales. If SSX had sold 50k or so, that would be a decent indicator, but 18k means that there was no serious demand for the game at launch by the "hardcore" (who are also much more targetted by SSX than casuals).

sangreal

vasuba said:
1ups podcast says SSX blur was only tracked 1 day for NPD feb. so 18K in 1 day isnt bad at all

I don't know when SSX came out, but the NPD period ended March 3. The 1up guys generally seemed to talk like it ended the 28th

Neomoto

Jammy said:
Don't forget they make an absolute killing on accessoires right now. Controllers (packed in with Wii Play or not), nun-chucks, VC points, Classic Controller.. It's all doing really well (and as you said also on software side, and of course hardware side so Nintendo should be most pleased).

Sonic did pretty good. SSX not so much but I'll wait for march sales to be sure. Tiger Woods seems to be selling very well so I'm interested in what it'll do in the next npd.

schuelma

Flyguy said:
According to Sonycowboy these figures run through March 3rd. It launched on February 27th, so 27, 28, 1, 2, 3 = 5 days.

Though technically it launched on the 27th, I would say 99% of stores didn't get it in until the 28th...so 4 days :)

ylvis_

Banned
Flyguy said:
According to Sonycowboy these figures run through March 3rd. It launched on February 27th, so 27, 28, 1, 2, 3 = 5 days.

Okey, fair enough, but I still think you should wait for the March NPD before you can give any reasonable opinions on SSX Blur's sales.

No6 said:
Sonic selling 80k isn't too good, either, considering how the GC entries sold and the overall power of the franchise (as weakened as it is).

Wario selling as well as it did was interesting, but Wii Play isn't an indicator of anything more than a desire to get a new remote. I'd like to see some VC sales #s before I agree with "taking off", considering how the "new market" that Nintendo is going after isn't too likely to buy nostalgia-loaded NES games over an online service.

Either way, the software sales posted a few pages back did not paint a rosy picture for 3rd party games. Not PSP terrible, but certainly nothing to tell publishers to start investing lots of cash into Wii development. Hell, if Wii Play actually sold for the game then prepare for a scaling back of Wii development dollars as money is funnelled into the greatest PopCap-clone cycle in gaming history.

Considering Rayman is the 3rd best selling game on the console right now, I would say that it is doing decently well with 3rd parties. Expect Sonic, Tiger Woods, and SSX to be on the top of the charts in March, all selling over 100,000 a piece.

As for Sonic on the Gamecube, most of those games were very back-loaded, as in they sold most of their sales at discount prices. Sonic has put up similar numbers compared to other Sonic games on all systems so far, and should exceed them next month.

schuelma

Stopsign said:
Considering Rayman is the 3rd best selling game on the console right now, I would say that it is doing decently well with 3rd parties. Expect Sonic, Tiger Woods, and SSX to be on the top of the charts in March, all selling over 100,000 a piece.

As for Sonic on the Gamecube, most of those games were very back-loaded, as in they sold most of their sales at discount prices. Sonic has put up similar numbers compared to other Sonic games on all systems so far, and should exceed them next month.

I think Tiger Woods is going to sell great and Sonic should be strong as well, but I would be very surprised if SSX gets close to 100K in March.

Flyguy

schuelma said:
Though technically it launched on the 27th, I would say 99% of stores didn't get it in until the 28th...so 4 days :)

Unless you have specific evidence to the contrary in this instance, when a game releases on a Tuesday, it's typically there the day before or at the latest the morning of. We're spilitting hairs here anyway. Whether it was there for five days or one day, 18K is a disaster. Perhaps it's not a bellweather game, but I was expecting more out of it. The lack of marketing surely didn't help.

Top Bottom