• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

Flyguy

Stopsign said:
Considering Rayman is the 3rd best selling game on the console right now, I would say that it is doing decently well with 3rd parties. Expect Sonic, Tiger Woods, and SSX to be on the top of the charts in March, all selling over 100,000 a piece.

As for Sonic on the Gamecube, most of those games were very back-loaded, as in they sold most of their sales at discount prices. Sonic has put up similar numbers compared to other Sonic games on all systems so far, and should exceed them next month.

You're smoking crack if you think a game that sold 18K units in its first 5 days to sell 100,000 the next month.

Flyguy said:
Unless you have specific evidence to the contrary in this instance, when a game releases on a Tuesday, it's typically there the day before or at the latest the morning of. We're spilitting hairs here anyway. Whether it was there for five days or one day, 18K is a disaster. Perhaps it's not a bellweather game, but I was expecting more out of it. The lack of marketing surely didn't help.
most games ship on tuesday and end up in stores on wednesday, not the other way around.

occasionally a game will have a street date and be shipped before hand (like crackdown) but more often than not, games ship on tuesday, and hit stores on wednesday.

Flyguy

plagiarize said:
most games ship on tuesday and end up in stores on wednesday, not the other way around.

occasionally a game will have a street date and be shipped before hand (like crackdown) but more often than not, games ship on tuesday, and hit stores on wednesday.

I can't remember the last game that released on a Tuesday that I wasn't able to walk in and pick up on a Tuesday (barring games that sold out).

yvlis_ said:
80k for Sonic is definitely not dissapointing. It's pretty good considered that it was only out for 12 days of the February NPD. Not only will it sell over 100k in March but the game will, like all other Sonic games on Nintendo consoles, sell well over time.

Sonic isn't doing 100,000 units in March. 2 weeks in the launch month>the following month.

No6

Stopsign said:
Considering Rayman is the 3rd best selling game on the console right now, I would say that it is doing decently well with 3rd parties. Expect Sonic, Tiger Woods, and SSX to be on the top of the charts in March, all selling over 100,000 a piece.
3rd best selling, including Xmas, with a total of... a little over 250k? Without knowing Feb #s, Rayman, Monkeyball, Madden, and Red Steel are the only games to crack 200k, with Rayman being the only game to even approach 300k. Not too good. SSX is unlikely to do much better and Tiger is also competing with itself on both 360 and PS2.

As for Sonic on the Gamecube, most of those games were very back-loaded, as in they sold most of their sales at discount prices. Sonic has put up similar numbers compared to other Sonic games on all systems so far, and should exceed them next month.
Later ones, maybe, but I'm pretty sure the first SA on GC sold well right at the beginning.

ylvis_

Banned
Stopsign said:

80k for Sonic is definitely not dissapointing. It's pretty good considered that it was only out for 12 days of the February NPD. Not only will it sell over 100k in March but the game will, like all other Sonic games on Nintendo consoles, sell well over time.

When it comes to Tiger Woods and SSX, I highly doubt SSX will sell over 100k next month. You never know though and I could be wrong, but I think it'll sell in the 60k-80k area. Tiger is a tough call, it could take off 'cause of the TV ad + it's a casual friendly game. But then again, it could bomb.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Tiger is also competing with itself on both 360 and PS2.

Huh? Tiger Woods on Wii is a completely different animal than on those consoles.

ylvis_

Banned
No6 said:
3rd best selling, including Xmas, with a total of... a little over 250k? Without knowing Feb #s, Rayman, Monkeyball, Madden, and Red Steel are the only games to crack 200k, with Rayman being the only game to even approach 300k. Not too good. SSX is unlikely to do much better and Tiger is also competing with itself on both 360 and PS2.

Later ones, maybe, but I'm pretty sure the first SA on GC sold well right at the beginning.

I think third-party games are doing just fine on the Wii. The third-party situation is at least better than the PS3's third-party situation.

Edit: Rayman LTD uptill January NPD: 265K

schuelma

ylvis_ said:
I think third-party games are doing just fine on the Wii. The third-party situation is at least better than the PS3's third-party situation.

Sonic outsold Resistance and VF5 for cripes sakes :lol :lol :lol :lol

March should be interesting- a ton of 3rd party games out, no Nintendo ones.

I think Tiger Woods, Sonic, and a wildcard like Cooking Mama or MOH will do well.

Bildi

ylvis_ said:
When it comes to Tiger Woods and SSX, I highly doubt SSX will sell over 100k next month.
I have no idea how SSX will sell, but I hope it sells some good numbers - it really deserves to after the atrocity of On Tour to show EA we are happy with the direction.

Also, expanding the SSX fanbase is always a good thing and an exclusive usually helps in that regard.

Bildi said:
I have no idea how SSX will sell, but I hope it sells some good numbers - it really deserves to after the atrocity of On Tour to show EA we are happy with the direction.

Also, expanding the SSX fanbase is always a good thing and an exclusive usually helps in that regard.

QFT. I rented both this and Sonic to get me through spring break and I ended up buying SSX after I had to return it

Flyguy said:
I can't remember the last game that released on a Tuesday that I wasn't able to walk in and pick up on a Tuesday (barring games that sold out).

Where do you live? Somewhere in California? (or in Redmond). I'm in Las Vegas. Games arrive a day after their listed release date at best. Let's say Monday release, they arrive Tuesday. That's to Gamestop, etc. Other stores will generally have them out either Wednesday or Thursday, at their leisure.

Xeke

Banned
According to NPD data, February 2007 showed a 67% increase in retail dollars generated year-over-year for SCEA in the US with total sales of $377 million. With this increase, the PlayStation brand remained the number-one revenue driver for the month in the industry owning 38.5% of total sales.

:lol

Kobun Heat said:
Not to mention the fact that this is only technically true because of the phrase "the PlayStation brand." If you add up all the Nintendo brands you get 39.4%.

Even if the DS and Wii were the same "brand", then Sony'd just shift to "most sold *console* brand". I wonder if anyone actually falls for that crap.

Xeke

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Not to mention the fact that this is only technically true because of the phrase "the PlayStation brand." If you add up all the Nintendo brands you get 39.4%.

They should teach classes on how to spin like this.

Evlar

Banned
Flyguy said:
It happens to me with virtually every game sold. The only exceptions are the blockbuster releases (the yearly Madden, Halo 2, WoW:Burning Crusade, and so on). You're lucky to get it the day after release... EBStop sometimes gets it in but they've been understocking recently, so only pre-orders get games on Day 2. Big Box retailers generally don't get games stocked unitl late on Day 2 or on Day 3.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Cruceh said:
So instead of talking about inadequate ps3 sales, we're talking about wii third party games failing again?

I don't see why not, especially considering the PSP will hardly sustain third party sales forever.

No6

schuelma said:
Huh? Tiger Woods on Wii is a completely different animal than on those consoles.
Tiger Woods Wii is still, at heart, Tiger Woods on PS2, just with different controls. The majority of gamers and casuals (TW is very casual friendly) would have bought the PS2 or 360 versions last year when it was released or now when it's much cheaper, rather than wait for the $50 Wii version.

Edit: Rayman LTD uptill January NPD: 265K
"Better than PS3" is not something to be proud of. And 265k is what I consider "a little over 250k".

schuelma

Tiger Woods Wii is still, at heart, Tiger Woods on PS2, just with different controls. The majority of gamers and casuals (TW is very casual friendly) would have bought the PS2 or 360 versions last year when it was released or now when it's much cheaper, rather than wait for the $50 Wii version.

I respectfully disagree. People buying the Wii for the most part are buying it for the unique controls..Tiger Woods Wii is a COMPLETELY different game than the PS2 version, and your throwaway comment "just with different controls"is about as big a understatement as you can make.

Xeke

Banned
Cruceh said:
So instead of talking about inadequate ps3 sales, we're talking about wii third party games failing again?

You mean the ones that were out for a week in February. Don't be a ridiculous person, please.

No6 said:
"Better than PS3" is not something to be proud of. And 265k is what I consider "a little over 250k".

Well, I think that's more of a testament to Microsoft's one year lead on everyone else than an inability of the Wii to push third-party sales.

And in any case, what exactly DOES a game have to do to be a successful third party game on the Wii? If Namco has to have 500,000 unit sales on a PS3 to break even, and it is known that PS3 development is above and beyond the cost of Wii development, why should they be judged by the same ruler? It's the same situation as the DS. Companies can sell 100,000 to 150,000 units on a game that was probably developed with a team numbering in the single digits (or slightly above) and make a good profit off of the investment.

Add to the fact that both the Wii and the DS are not nearly as risky as creating a big title for the HD consoles (simply due to risk of development costs), and you can see why third parties would stick with the Wii/DS even if they aren't pushing 500,000 or even 300,000.

Link316

Banned
Stopsign said:

that remains to be seen, Red Steel is one of those games that is considered to have sold "well" on the Wii and yet it has already been quickly discounted to $29

AniHawk

Link316 said:
that remains to be seen, Red Steel is one of those games that is considered to have sold "well" on the Wii and yet it has already been quickly discounted to $29

Wow. It's like a PSP game.

ylvis_

Banned
So Rayman sold 60k in February, which means the LTD for the title is now 325K.

Also:

Top 10 Handheld SW - Feb 2007

1. NDS DIDDY KONG RACING - 262K
2. NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS - 94K
3. NDS MARIO KART - 71K
4. GBA FINAL FANTASY VI ADVANCE - 64K
5. NDS BRAIN AGE: TRAIN YOUR BRAIN IN MINUTES A - 64K
6. NDS KIRBY SQUEAK SQUAD - 60K
7. PSP RATCHET & CLANK: SIZE MATTERS - 55K
8. NDS NINTENDOGS: DALMATIAN & FRIENDS - 49K
9. NDS YOSHI'S ISLAND 2 - 47K
10. PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES - 43K

PkunkFury

Link316 said:

Where can I get it for 29$? I've been waiting for a price drop on this

AniHawk

Barry Lightning said:
seriously, wii is going to look retarded in 2 years when ps3/360 games start really knocking shit out the box

Wii looks retarded now. I was baffled to hear a guy say Excite Truck had "awesome graphics" when the ****ing 360 was right next to him playing the Gears of War commercial.

Barry Lightning said:
seriously, wii is going to look retarded in 2 years when ps3/360 games start really knocking shit out the box

And yet the Miis will probably get more attention than most generic action men. Funny that.

farnham

Banned
AniHawk said:
Wii looks retarded now. I was baffled to hear a guy say Excite Truck had "awesome graphics" when the ****ing 360 was right next to him playing the Gears of War commercial.
sacarsm regained :)

AAK

Barry Lightning said:

By that time, Nintendo will probably have already annuonced the release their next next gen console that will run Crysis as a launch title.

.dmc

Banned
Barry Lightning said:

This needs to be reiterated again & again, but the wii already looks far more primitive than the PS3 + 360, and so far it doesn't matter. This difference isn't going to grow any tangibly larger than it already is either. Wii games will start looking better, ps360 will start looking better, and the gap between them will never close but it's never going to any worse than it is right now either.

Fredescu

Ridiculous unwarranted predictions:

Wii Health will explode the market. Wii Health 2 and 3 will sell gangbusters too. Third party exercise games will come out and do well. Personally I hope to see an RPG where you level up based on calories burnt. Wii hardware will have <Borat>great success</Borat>.

A lot of people that buy the Wii for these titles though, won't be gamers, won't give a crap about Mario, and won't know who Zelda is. They might pick up the odd trad game here and there, but it will be mostly of the brain training ilk. The best tie ratio will go to the 360, which will remain the domain of traditional gaming, with many top selling titles.

PS3 is the Gamecube, a platform which people buy because they enjoy the first party titles, and there's nothing wrong with that. Except to people that like to attack other peoples tastes I guess, or people who let sales figures affect their fun. PS3 won't get out of third place, but it's not going to kill Sony. They will learn their lessons and be out for blood with the PS4.

Jammy

Banned
How the **** are people like No6 downplaying Wii's software sales? Do you really think over 80,000 for a Sonic game in a little over a week is bad? Do I need to pull out comparisons to the 360 or PS3 (LOL) versions?

We've got Rayman: RR and Red Steel over 300,000 in the U.S. alone and Super Monkey Ball: BB nearing that mark. Trauma Center Wii has already outsold its DS counterpart, and pretty much every multi-console game for Wii and PS3 has sold better on Wii with the exception of Need for Speed and possibly Madden (we don't know what this month's figures are).

What exactly are you using to deduce that these sales are mediocre? Surely you aren't comparing them to 360 software sales with a year head start. And Sonic has been shat on numerous times since he first debuted on the GCN. People weren't wary of the series five or six years ago like they are now. The only thing we can compare Sonic's sales to now is other games that have been released in the same time frame or for other systems, and in those categories, Sonic Wii has performed well.

And how can you think the Virtual Console is not picking up? Nintendo announced they had sold 1.5 million games back in January and its really the only classic games service of the three systems that anybody is talking about. Until XBLA and the PSN network get three or four games a week and have threads about them with well over 100 pages, keep quiet.

Eteric Rice

AniHawk said:
No. That actually happened. Excite Truck is a very EXCITETRUCKING game, but the graphics aren't "next gen" by any means.

And thus the point that casual gamers either don't care, or can't see it, prevails...

AniHawk

Eteric Rice said:
And thus the point that casual gamers either don't care, or can't see it, prevails...

It was just one guy, but yeah, I don't think it REALLY matters a whole lot outside of the hardcore gamer group.

Eteric Rice

AniHawk said:
It was just one guy, but yeah, I don't think it REALLY matters a whole lot outside of the hardcore gamer group.

Same.

What's really amazing, is I went to Wal-Mart today to pick up a head set for my PC. I passed by the games section, and the Wii already has a shit load of games available. The whole wrack that used to make up the gamecube is now nearly completely Wii.

AniHawk

Eteric Rice said:
Same.

What's really amazing, is I went to Wal-Mart today to pick up a head set for my PC. I passed by the games section, and the Wii already has a shit load of games available. The whole wrack that used to make up the gamecube is now nearly completely Wii.

SHIT load is rather accurate. While there are some fun ones like Sonic, Zelda, Trauma Center, etc, the majority is UbiSoft shovelware and movie licensed cashgrabs. The system has so very little going for it from third parties and it's clear that this was going to basically be a system supported by only Nintendo until last May.

maynerd

Banned
Barry Lightning said:

Are you saying that the X360/PS3 graphics will improve over time but the Wii will not? Interesting.

.dmc

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

The point that GAF/the hardcore frequently miss is that games last-gen looked great, and that they are 'good enough' for most, especially when the alternative is 2/3x the cost. I mean, consider this from the R&C:Future thread..

295631.jpg

202952.jpg

Quark's PS3 model is a hell of a lot nicer, but it really isn't conveying much more than the ps2 model. People act like we're holding onto n64 graphics for another generation, but it really isn't the case, there is plenty of potential for great/good storytelling/graphics on the Wii.

PS3/360 graphics are insanely better than the Wii's, but I think the market really doesn't mind, because they didn't ask for the graphic fidelity of next-gen, especially at the price Microsoft/Sony are charging.

Fredescu said:
A lot of people that buy the Wii for these titles though, won't be gamers, won't give a crap about Mario

You couldn't be more wrong. Mario is probably the only thing the Wii Sports / Wii Play crowd is going to flock to, outside of the Wii titles themselves.

dfi

vasuba said:
1ups podcast says SSX blur was only tracked 1 day for NPD feb. so 18K in 1 day isnt bad at all

If ssx blur sells badly, I'm personally going to blame Skip's totally unjustified and just plain awful review.

Its a fantastic game with great controls.

Top Bottom