• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

Gears of War franchise has sold more than Uncharted & Last of Us. It has sold 22 million as of Jan. 2014 and Uncharted got to 21 million in June 2015. They're all in the same ballpark though for sure and The Last of Us has probably sold more than any individual Gears game with the PS4 remaster and bundling, but Gears 1 is getting a remaster and bundle as well later this month so it will probably end up being a wash basically.

Each UC game has sold more than the last one .
The series is growing unlike gears where each one sold around the same number.
Looking at the over all sales don't tell you the full truth.

Also TLOU sold 7 million before remaster came out .
It must be around 8.5 million by now which makes it much bigger than gears

EDIT also gears number contain 4 games while UC one is 3 .
Both numbers out of date gears being more so .

meaning Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 sold more than Gears 2 and Gears 3.

I'm not so sure that this is actually the case because we don't have a breakdown of the split of the Gears games and the Uncharted numbers are more current than the Gears figure. I agree that they're all on the same basic level though.

Each UC game has sold more than the last one .
The series is growing unlike gears where each one sold around the same number.
Looking at the over all sales don't tell you the full truth.

Also TLOU sold 7 million before remaster came out .
It must be around 8.5 million by now which makes it much bigger than gears

TLoU could easily be at 10 million right now.

Boke1879

Microsoft had a easy time last year because Sony did almost nothing, just a GTA V bundle for BF.

This year Sony will have better bundles and a possible price cut. With this I doubt MS can have a 600k+ victory again.

The good news is that PS4 and Xbox One should sell tons on holidays, will be a great time to buy one of them.

Yup. Xbox could still very well win but they won't have a 600k+ victory with everything considered. If Sony plays their cards right they could very well win November and December.

That was over 750k so maybe not. Idk early buzz for a MGS mainline title feels tiny. There is no advertising anywhere and I just don't hear anyone in "real life" talk about it.

Not impossible, who knows maybe it does a mil but as of now I'm thinking it does under MGS4. Maybe like 600k or something along those lines.

That said September NPD is 5 weeks which will help it. Also launches on September 1st so has the whole month to sell.

Idk I could see it going wither way. If they do a last minute marketing push and it reviews well that will help a lot

Edit: Arkham Knight NPD was what 1.1 million? MGS will be well under that.

Or was AK 1.3? Cant remember now. Either way MGS will do less than Batman so 1 mill is the absolute best it could do imo if everything goes great for it

MGS4 did 775k (almost 1M with 80GB MGS4 bundles included) on a PS3 install base much smaller than the current PS4 install base. I find it extremely hard to believe that MGSV launching on 5x the platforms of MGS4 somehow struggles to pull similar numbers. 1M+ is easily a lock considering the game will have the full 5 weeks of September to sell and the increased amount of availability. MGS as a series has a long storied history, I don't believe that marketing will be needed for the game to pull impressive numbers. The core gamers who will have made up most of the sales for the series all know the game is coming out on 9/1, and don't need to be marketed to in order to purchase the fourth sequel in a series they've been following for the better part of two decades.

Steroyd

MGS4 did 775k (almost 1M with 80GB MGS4 bundles included) on a PS3 install base much smaller than the current PS4 install base. I find it extremely hard to believe that MGSV launching on 5x the platforms of MGS4 somehow struggles to pull similar numbers. 1M+ is easily a lock considering the game will have the full 5 weeks of September to sell and the increased amount of availability. MGS as a series has a long storied history, I don't believe that marketing will be needed for the game to pull impressive numbers. The core gamers who will have made up most of the sales for the series all know the game is coming out on 9/1, and don't need to be marketed to in order to purchase the fourth sequel in a series they've been following for the better part of two decades.

I'd argue because it's coming out on more platforms, is a bigger reason to advertise heavily, no point hitting 1 million sales in September if 90% of those sales are on PS4.

Also Konami is the last company to rely on advertising anything, they couldn't even do basic publishing a couple of years ago.

You are assuming more people care about MGSV now than people cared about MGS back when 4 launched. Idk if thats the case. Just because there are more consoles on the market in the same time frame doesn't mean there are more gamers that actually want the game. Franchises decline all the time

Maybe it does a million. I'm just really not convinced yet. Not saying its impossible as its still a bit out so tougher to guess performance till it hits the market.

Boke1879

You are assuming more people care about MGSV now than people cared about MGS back when 4 launched. Idk if thats the case. Just because there are more consoles on the market in the same time frame doesn't mean there are more gamers that actually want the game. Franchises decline all the time

Maybe it does a million. I'm just really not convinced yet

I could be wrong but I don't know why it wouldn't sell well. It comes out September first and is pretty much the only AAA releasing that month. The thing with MGS is that it's a known quantity at this point. and with all the gameplay videos you know what the game looks like.

Javin98

Banned
So Sony just announced Star Wars bundles for the holiday season? Damn, those will sell incredibly well if priced well. I predict $349 for the 500GB standard bundle and $399 for the 1TB limited edition bundle

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Yup. Xbox could still very well win but they won't have a 600k+ victory with everything considered. If Sony plays their cards right they could very well win November and December.

The only way Sony could win is by selling PS4 cheaper than Xbox One this holiday. Which isn't happening.

blakep267

I could be wrong but I don't know why it wouldn't sell well. It comes out September first and is pretty much the only AAA releasing that month. The thing with MGS is that it's a known quantity at this point. and with all the gameplay videos you know what the game looks like.
September has nba 2k, Fifa and residual madden sales. Far from 1 Aaa releasing

Fdkn

The only way Sony could win is by selling PS4 cheaper than Xbox One this holiday. Which isn't happening.

what makes you think that selling at the same price would make them lose when they are winning every month being more expensive?

Maybe it does a million. I'm just really not convinced yet. Not saying its impossible as its still a bit out so tougher to guess performance till it hits the market.

I honestly can't really imagine a scenario where less people care about MGSV now then people did MGS4 back then. Yea, there's a lot of hate towards Konami, but I don't really see much towards MGS and/or Kojima.

I think it'll pretty easily be a million seller given any sort of marketing campaign.

If Sony and MS are both at $299, PS4 is going to win pretty easily. That is to say, an even price point is in favor of Sony.

Definitely not the only way. Consumers will buy the console they prefer if they see the value in it. Your argument is poor also because the PS4 has been outselling the XBO this year despite the latter being $50 cheaper.

Boke1879

Sony has a chance to bundle many games this holiday. They could very well have a Battlefront+1 or 2 games bundled in together. If the value is right people will buy. And if the PS4 dropped to $350 just for the base model it would still move units.

Again I see this holiday being very interesting. It's not clear cut for the Xbox this fall. It'll be interesting to see how much Halo can push.

Boke1879

September has nba 2k, Fifa and residual madden sales. Far from 1 Aaa releasing

2k comes out at the end of the month correct? I'm just saying for a new release MGS pretty much has 5 full weeks all to itself. Also I don't really see NBA, Fifa and Madden to compete with a game like MGS. Two different markets. Could very well be overlap in people who buy those sports games and MGS.

Quazar

Microsoft had a easy time last year because Sony did almost nothing, just a GTA V bundle for BF.

This year Sony will have better bundles and a possible price cut. With this I doubt MS can have a 600k+ victory again.

The good news is that PS4 and Xbox One should sell tons on holidays, will be a great time to buy one of them.

They had the Destiny bundle and marketing tie-in. Not getting your post.

That's not necessarily the case.
I'm not so sure that this is actually the case because we don't have a breakdown of the split of the Gears games and the Uncharted numbers are more current than the Gears figure.
For it not to be true, there are only a few options: Golden Abyss sold millions more copies than Judgment, or Gears as a whole has sold millions of copies in the past year. Neither of those seems very likely to me at all...but you're correct that we don't know for an absolute certainty.

I'm not sure that can be so certain. The only precedents we have are one console more expensive than the other during the holidays; we haven't seen what might happen if they're the same price.

The 5 weeks may save MGS from the "dissapointing" posts. Thats possible. It launching on the 1st and having the full 5 may do the trick for it.

There is literally no indication this would happen? I'm predicting Sony will have $349 standard SKU bundles starting September, and XB1 will eventually have $299 bundles, maybe at the end of October to coincide with the release of Halo 5.

Who knows what will happen on Black Friday.

I honestly can't really imagine a scenario where less people care about MGSV now then people did MGS4 back then. Yea, there's a lot of hate towards Konami, but I don't really see much towards MGS and/or Kojima.

I can only talk for my self and people i know but were are not as hype for MGS5 because it a prequel.
I am wondering if that going to effect sales since this is the first MGS game i won't get at launch .

Chobel

I noticed something: all PS4 bundles are 500GB, MS is going for the 1TB bundles. Both offerings are likely to end up at the same base price.

Boke1879

Also MS didn't just win last year because they dropped the price to $350. It helped a lot sure but they created bundles with insane value. COD, Halo MCC, AC. If you were looking to get a next gen system Xbox no doubt offered the best value.

This year there is definitely more parity this Holiday. The deals and bundles Sony have in place almost insure they won't get spanked for 600K+ like last year. Xbox has Halo which will be a big mover and I'm sure they have Fallout 4 marketing. Xbox would be dumb not to have some sort of bundle with that.

Again Xbox could win the holidays. I'll never count that out but I will say things can get interesting. Sony has put themselves in a position to sell more consoles and I feel that Battlefront bundle will be a huge mover this holiday with Star Wars fever sky high. Hell I'm thinking about trading in my standard PS4 towards it.

Star Wars Bundle means there won't be any sort of " win " for MS this holiday season.

Anyone who underestimates how huge Star Wars is going to be this holiday season is going to be for a surprise.

BeforeU

what makes you think that selling at the same price would make them lose when they are winning every month being more expensive?

I think it'll pretty easily be a million seller given any sort of marketing campaign.

If Sony and MS are both at $299, PS4 is going to win pretty easily. That is to say, an even price point is in favor of Sony.

Don't see any logic in this post...

Definitely not the only way. Consumers will buy the console they prefer if they see the value in it. Your argument is poor also because the PS4 has been outselling the XBO this year despite the latter being $50 cheaper.

Not really, they only need to match the price of XBO.

Sony has a chance to bundle many games this holiday. They could very well have a Battlefront+1 or 2 games bundled in together. If the value is right people will buy. And if the PS4 dropped to $350 just for the base model it would still move units.

Again I see this holiday being very interesting. It's not clear cut for the Xbox this fall. It'll be interesting to see how much Halo can push.

For it not to be true, there are only a few options: Golden Abyss sold millions more copies than Judgment, or Gears as a whole has sold millions of copies in the past year. Neither of those seems very likely to me at all...but you're correct that we don't know for an absolute certainty.

I'm not sure that can be so certain. The only precedents we have are one console more expensive than the other during the holidays; we haven't seen what might happen if they're the same price.

There is literally no indication this would happen? I'm predicting Sony will have $349 standard SKU bundles starting September, and XB1 will eventually have $299 bundles, maybe at the end of October to coincide with the release of Halo 5.

You mean like now where PS4 cost more and still sells more?

Halo Halo Halo.

Backward compatible - Huge initiative for people to upgrade

Just because Sony is marketing Battlefront, people are not blind to an extent you guys think. GAF is making it sound like Battlefront and COD will ONLY sell on PS4 lol.

Its going to sell both hardware, will move little more PS4 because of the bundle but then you got Fallout and Tomb Raider bundle. But the megaton will still be Halo and going to move shit ton of units if game is well recieved.

Wynnebeck

Banned

I agree that Sony will have a better holiday season, but no I expect MS to outsell them again unless Sony has a bonanza of a price drop.

Also MS didn't just win last year because they dropped the price to $350. It helped a lot sure but they created bundles with insane value. COD, Halo MCC, AC. If you were looking to get a next gen system Xbox no doubt offered the best value.

This year there is definitely more parity this Holiday. The deals and bundles Sony have in place almost insure they won't get spanked for 600K+ like last year. Xbox has Halo which will be a big mover and I'm sure they have Fallout 4 marketing. Xbox would be dumb not to have some sort of bundle with that.

Again Xbox could win the holidays. I'll never count that out but I will say things can get interesting. Sony has put themselves in a position to sell more consoles and I feel that Battlefront bundle will be a huge mover this holiday with Star Wars fever sky high. Hell I'm thinking about trading in my standard PS4 towards it.

You act like Xbox doesn't have any of its bundles this year. People are in for a real surprise again

MS would be crazy to not have a LE Fallout 4 bundle. Bethesda still seems to do big businesses on Xbox and they need something to combat the Battlefront / possible COD bundle Sony is launching

Very smart post. I do see the Sony price drop in Paris tho.

MS would be crazy to not have a LE Fallout 4 bundle. Bethesda still seems to do big businesses on Xbox and they need something to combat the Battlefront / possible COD bundle Sony is launching

Exactly and tomb raider bundle as well. Fallout will be LE. People act like MS has no bundles or plans. I don't get it

Halo Halo Halo.

Just because Sony is marketing Battlefront, people are not blind to an extent you guys think. GAF is making it sound like Battlefront and COD will ONLY sell on PS4 lol.

Its going to sell both hardware, will move little more PS4 because of the bundle but then you got Fallout and Tomb Raider bundle. But the megaton will still be Halo and going to move shit ton of units if game is well recieved.

Backwards compatibility is a bandaid solution to prevent 360 gamers from migrating to the PS4. However, it's not going to appeal to newcomers nor PS3 gamers.

There are 3 Battlefront bundles, which will not only get the benefit from Sony's marketing, but also the movie that will be airing in December. You are quite blind to how big Star Wars is. Battlefront and COD will be on the XBO, too, but can you get a Battlefront or COD XBO bundle?

Fallout 4 will also move some PS4's. See what I did there? Also, Tomb Raider preorders haven't been so good, so it won't help the XBO as much you think.

BeforeU

Backwards compatibility is a bandaid solution to prevent 360 gamers from migrating to the PS4. However, it's not going to appeal to newcomers nor PS3 gamers.

There are 3 Battlefront bundles, which will not only get the benefit from Sony's marketing, but also the movie that will be airing in December. You are quite blind to how big Star Wars is. Battlefront and COD will be on the XBO, too, but can you get a Battlefront or COD XBO bundle?

Fallout 4 will also move some PS4's. See what I did there? Also, Tomb Raider preorders haven't been so good, so it won't help the XBO as much you think.

@ Bold, looking at the game sales on Xbox 360, there seems to be a lot of user base on that console that still needs to upgrade. So yeah it will do very well.

And I don't know what you did there, but you did prove my point that just like Fallout will sell PS4s, COD and Battlefront WILL sell Xbox Ones. I know what you guys are saying that movie and the game momentum at the same time. But you assuming that EVERYONE will only think that its on PS4. We have seen Microsoft marketing in past, during when Destiny launched. There is always a way to do market awareness without bundling, which isn't as effective as bundling I get it. But they can still give away free battlefront games with the console. Didn't Destiny sell almost similar number of copies in states despite that crazy Sony marketing? Well shooters tend to do well on Xbox One no matter how you look at.

COD player won't one day just wake up and think its exclusive to PS4 so I need to buy PS4 now. There are also shooter fans out there would think well which console where I can get Halo, COD, Battlefront, Fallout. And there are MORE shooter fans on Xbox than on PlayStation.

I agree with your first point as Golden Abyss was a Vita game so I'd be very surprised if that was the case. As for your second point, Judgment just released in 2013 so it is not at all unlikely that the franchise as a whole sold an additional 1-2 million+ by now over the course of 20 months(when we last received figures)

However, we both acknowledge that the franchises are similar in size anyway so there's no real point in furthering this topic :p

Wynnebeck

Banned
And I don't know what you did there, but you did prove my point that just like Fallout will sell PS4s, COD and Battlefront WILL sell Xbox Ones. I know what you guys are saying that movie and the game momentum at the same time. But you assuming that EVERYONE will only think that its on PS4. We have seen Microsoft marketing in past, during when Destiny launched. There is always a way to do market awareness without bundling, which isn't as effective as bundling I get it. But they can still give away free battlefront games with the console.

Anecdotal, but a story. When Destiny originally came out last year, we had tons of people complain that they weren't buying Destiny because of Bungie. When we inquired why, most people were angry that Bungie had "betrayed Microsoft" by making Destiny exclusive to PS4. Sony's marketing was so strong that people literally thought Destiny was on one system. Let that sink in. Yes, we've seen MS's marketing in the past and while it has been effective this is the first time that MS is going into a holiday season with no major marketing outside of Tomb Raider and Fallout 4, etc. Sony has Destiny, Star Wars, Call of Duty, etc. almost every other anticipated game this holiday season. Sony is about to go HAM this holiday.

With that said, MS are masters of the holiday rush and will make some bundle that will be almost impossible to refuse. That's why I think MS is going to go 2/2 for the last few holidays.

Boke1879

Halo Halo Halo.

Backwards comp is a great bullet point and great for the consumer but I doubt it'll have a huge impact in shifting units.

I already said Halo will be their big mover but it still has to go up against COD and Battlefront. Of course COD and BF will sell on Xbox. But seeing as 3rd party games have been generally selling better on PS...

Again I'm not saying the Xbox can't win but there is definitely more parity this year. The marketing has already been huge for Star Wars and Playstation and this bundle solidifies it. Someone walking into a store from Nov. 17th through the end of the year will be met with a Star Wars PS4 bundle. And with Star Wars fever being at an all time high this Bundle will no doubt be a big console mover. Because not only will potential gamers buy it. Collectors will be after it as well.

Chobel

Halo Halo Halo.

The only factor that in your post that can make XBO win against PS4 (same price) is Halo 5, however I doubt the huge hype and the big buzz around Halo will last for 3 NPD months, not while CoD and Battlefront exists.

Exactly and tomb raider bundle as well. Fallout will be LE. People act like MS has no bundles or plans. I don't get it

We don't. Sony will have Star Wars, BOPS3 and Assassin's Creed bundles.

Microsoft will have Halo, Fallout 4, Tomb Raider and more.

It will be all about which of these boxes appeal the most, and the prices.

Star Wars is undoubtedly the most well known out of all these franchises, and the average customer in the store may not know it's available on Xbox too. But Xbox will likely have more bundles, more exclusives and may have the lowest price standard bundles.

Again I'm not saying the Xbox can't win but there is definitely more parity this year. The marketing has already been huge for Star Wars and Playstation and this bundle solidifies it. Someone walking into a store from Nov. 17th through the end of the year will be met with a Star Wars PS4 bundle. And with Star Wars fever being at an all time high this Bundle will no doubt be a big console mover. Because not only will potential gamers buy it. Collectors will be after it as well.

It's no doubt going to be a very interesting Holiday for sales. I'm thinking Xbox will win, unless Microsoft is stupid and has price parity 1TB bundles to Sony's 500GB bundles.

It will also depend on anything special they do on Black Friday.

Boke1879

It's no doubt going to be a very interesting Holiday for sales. I'm thinking Xbox will win, unless Microsoft is stupid and has price parity 1TB bundles to Sony's 500GB bundles.

It will also depend on anything special they do on Black Friday.

Will definitely be interesting. Sony has a lot they could do really but I'm sure Sony isn't interested in "winning" the Holiday more so than they are hitting their numbers and helping their bottom line.

I honestly hope the One gets another temp price drop this holiday lol because I wouldn't mind owning one right now BUT Then this SW bundle just got announced. Seriously considering trading in my current PS4 towards it when it releases. Love the console look and I think the bundle has value. Deluxe edition of BF plus the voucher for the ported games.

Plus it's the new model PS4 so it uses less energy

BeforeU

The only factor that in your post that can make XBO win against PS4 (same price) is Halo 5, however I doubt the huge hype and the big buzz around Halo will last for 3 NPD months, not while CoD and Battlefront exists.

What you mean by 3 NPDs? It releases on Oct 27. Anyways, if its well received critically that is exactly what's going to happen. It will be a good seller through the year.

Anecdotal, but a story. When Destiny originally came out last year, we had tons of people complain that they weren't buying Destiny because of Bungie. When we inquired why, most people were angry that Bungie had "betrayed Microsoft" by making Destiny exclusive to PS4. Sony's marketing was so strong that people literally thought Destiny was on one system. Let that sink in. Yes, we've seen MS's marketing in the past and while it has been effective this is the first time that MS is going into a holiday season with no major marketing outside of Tomb Raider and Fallout 4, etc. Sony has Destiny, Star Wars, Call of Duty, etc. almost every other anticipated game this holiday season. Sony is about to go HAM this holiday.

With that said, MS are masters of the holiday rush and will make some bundle that will be almost impossible to refuse. That's why I think MS is going to go 2/2 for the last few holidays.

Not exactly sure what you trying to say but this is proving my point that even though lot of people though Destiny was exclusive to PS4, it did similar number on Xbox One and PS4. (In states)

Backwards comp is a great bullet point and great for the consumer but I doubt it'll have a huge impact in shifting units.

I already said Halo will be their big mover but it still has to go up against COD and Battlefront. Of course COD and BF will sell on Xbox. But seeing as 3rd party games have been generally selling better on PS...

Backward comp would be a huge factor in deciding, at least for parents who have kids with 360 and gamers who have huge 360 collection. Small things like these add up for marking purchase. Not a deal breaker but still a good enough reason for gamers who are on fence.

3rd party games selling better on PS? I agree. But 3rd party shooter gap, at least on NPD data. Is very close.

Again I am not at all saying PS4 won't move units with Battlefront, they will A LOT. And Sony even has more bundle this holiday than last time. But then AGAIN. So does Microsoft.

So I don't see the argument of Sony will crush Microsoft with their bundles.

Top Bottom