• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

Intrigue

Banned
Halo Halo Halo.

Backward compatible - Huge initiative for people to upgrade

Just because Sony is marketing Battlefront, people are not blind to an extent you guys think. GAF is making it sound like Battlefront and COD will ONLY sell on PS4 lol.

Its going to sell both hardware, will move little more PS4 because of the bundle but then you got Fallout and Tomb Raider bundle. But the megaton will still be Halo and going to move shit ton of units if game is well recieved.

Ofcourse Halo will be well recieved, They got a pass with MCC which was well recived and it is the most broken game ever released.

MSFT will win Nov/Dec almost guaranteed, in the US but won't be as big of a win as last year especially if Sony finally do their price drop. However Worldwide the gap will continue to be 2:1 favoring Sony,

@ Bold, looking at the game sales on Xbox 360, there seems to be a lot of user base on that console that still needs to upgrade. So yeah it will do very well.

And I don't know what you did there, but you did prove my point that just like Fallout will sell PS4s, COD and Battlefront WILL sell Xbox Ones. I know what you guys are saying that movie and the game momentum at the same time. But you assuming that EVERYONE will only think that its on PS4. We have seen Microsoft marketing in past, during when Destiny launched. There is always a way to do market awareness without bundling, which isn't as effective as bundling I get it. But they can still give away free battlefront games with the console. Didn't Destiny sell almost similar number of copies in states despite that crazy Sony marketing? Well shooters tend to do well on Xbox One no matter how you look at.

COD player won't one day just wake up and think its exclusive to PS4 so I need to buy PS4 now. There are also shooter fans out there would think well which console where I can get Halo, COD, Battlefront, Fallout. And there are MORE shooter fans on Xbox than on PlayStation.

A huge portion of 360 sales came from MS's push of Kinect. However, Kinect games will not be backwards compatible with the XBO, so you can throw the 360 casual audience out the window. Not to mention, 40% of the PS4 userbase did not have a PS3 last gen. A lot of 360 gamers have already migrated to the PS4 and that number continues to rise. B/C is more of system justifier than a system seller.

Last year, MS released the Assassin's Creed bundle and COD: AW bundle, and cut the entry price from $399 to $349. They had marketing rights to two of the largest 3rd party franchises. Sony had marketing rights to Far Cry 4 and GTAV, but they only bundled the latter game for Black Friday, maintaining the entry price at $399 while MS reduced it down to $329.

This holiday season, MS has Halo 5 and possibly Fallout 4 bundles. Tomb Raider won't do much based on low preorders. Sony will have 3 Battlefront bundles and likely a Black Ops 3 bundle with a possible $50 cut on the entry price. Oh, and did I mention that Sony also has marketing rights to Assassin's Creed Syndicate? Sony's position heading into this holiday season is substantially different from last year's.

As for your last paragraph, citation needed. The Blacks Ops 3 beta and DLC will go on PS4 first, then XBO and PC later. Sony is also running COD tournaments from now on, so the competitive COD base is going to move to the PS4. So when you take DLC, tournaments, and a COD bundle into account, the COD fan will find the PS4 version more appealing.

So I don't see the argument of Sony will crush Microsoft with their bundles.

We were challenging your opinion that the only way the PS4 can outsell the XBO is if it is priced lower. Most of us were not arguing that Sony will crush Microsoft so I have no idea where you got that from.

It's no doubt going to be a very interesting Holiday for sales. I'm thinking Xbox will win, unless Microsoft is stupid and has price parity 1TB bundles to Sony's 500GB bundles.

It will also depend on anything special they do on Black Friday.

I dunno man - I have both system and been feeling the X1 more lately espeically now that i have Win 10. I can see Sony taking it - they may not have any big 1st party AAA this year but they have a lot of big 3rd party AAA marketing rights to.

That is gonna help them a ton, but you never know. I just hope they both do well.

What marketing rights does MS have besides their own 1st party games?

Boke1879

I dunno man - I have both system and been feeling the X1 more lately espeically now that i have Win 10. I can see Sony taking it - they may not have any big 1st party AAA this year but they have a lot of big 3rd party AAA marketing rights to.

That is gonna help them a ton, but you never know. I just hope they both do well.

What marketing rights does MS have besides their own 1st party games?

Most likely Fallout 4 which will be HUGE and Tomb Raider

Wynnebeck

Banned
Not exactly sure what you trying to say but this is proving my point that even though lot of people though Destiny was exclusive to PS4, it did similar number on Xbox One and PS4. (In states)

Not really. It looked similar because NPD doesn't report bundles towards a game's SKU sales. So the launch month had Destiny like [XB1, PS4, 360, PS3] when in reality, the PS4 bundles with the game pushed it out ahead of the Xbone. Even so, Bungie has a strong connotation with MS and the fans support it. Taken King is still going to to sell the best on PS4 in any case.

Chobel

What you mean by 3 NPDs? It releases on Oct 27. Anyways, if its well received critically that is exactly what's going to happen. It will be a good seller through the year.

Oct, Nov and Dec. And I'm not talking about the sales of the game, but how many consoles the game is gonna sell.

And let's not forget, Halo 5 bundle will be limited and a bit more expensive than the other SKUs.

Not exactly sure what you trying to say but this is proving my point that even though lot of people though Destiny was exclusive to PS4, it did similar number on Xbox One and PS4. (In states)

It sold a lot of PS4 consoles though, which is what we are discussing here: consoles sales and not software sales.

A FO4 custom LE Xbone is every bit as big as a LE Battlefront PS4. If MS don't capitalize on that they are insane

Star Wars is bigger than Fallout. Especially in the mind of the average shopper.

Microsoft would indeed be very stupid not to have a Fallout 4 bundle this holiday though.

Boke1879

A FO4 custom LE Xbone is every bit as big as a LE Battlefront PS4. If MS don't capitalize on that they are insane

Even if it's not a LE bundle. Just a console and game bundle will be enough and add in Tomb Raider as well.

If they don't bundle FO4 with the Xbox they are insane lol

lord_lad

Banned

i beg to differ. you guys kept forgetting the Star Wars Ep7 is gonna release in december and the marketing of star wars franchise as a whole will be in full swing then.....

the entire world will be on star wars fever and as big as fallout is in the gaming world...it's not star wars big in the general public's eye.

At that star wars franchise marketing blitz will help on the star wars bundle.

my 2 cents.

Star Wars is bigger than Fallout. Especially in the mind of the average shopper.

Microsoft would indeed be very stupid not to have a Fallout 4 bundle this holiday though.

Haha. FO4 will set the record for the largest opening in the history of the RPG genre.

We are talking millions of copies in 1 month

Boke1879

i beg to differ. you guys kept forgetting the Star Wars Ep7 is gonna release in december and the marketing of star wars franchise as a whole will be in full swing then.....

the entire world will be on star wars fever and as big as fallout is in the gaming world...it's not star wars big in the general public's eye.

At that star wars franchise marketing blitz will help on the star wars bundle.

my 2 cents.

Yup. FO4 is HUGE in the gaming world but to your average consumer Star Wars will be the hotness. Like you said the Star Wars marketing blitz will be huge and I think start as early as September. Rumor is thats when a lot of the toys are getting released.

King_Moc

Banned
Haha. FO4 will set the record for the largest opening in the history of the RPG genre.

While I agree that it's bigger than Star Wars in videogames, there's no way it's beating the likes of Skyrim in it's first month. There's nowhere near as many people with a next gen console as there were 360's and PS3's when that came out.

We agree to disagree then. In line with what above posters said though, I think gamers will be talking about FO4, but everyone will be talking Star Wars this Holiday.

Death2494

Halo Halo Halo.

Backward compatible - Huge initiative for people to upgrade

Just because Sony is marketing Battlefront, people are not blind to an extent you guys think. GAF is making it sound like Battlefront and COD will ONLY sell on PS4 lol.

Its going to sell both hardware, will move little more PS4 because of the bundle but then you got Fallout and Tomb Raider bundle. But the megaton will still be Halo and going to move shit ton of units if game is well recieved.

Fallout is going to cut into Tomb Raider sales there is no doubt about that. About those 3rd party bundles your mentioned, just look at what Destiny and Watchdogs did for ps4 sales. Even the more recent Arkham Knight Bundle moved units and is still performing well.

Also let's not act as if the Call of Duty bundle isn't a big deal either. In America, Halo will definitely had Xbox One the victory in October. September will be Sony's because of the Destiny Taken King bundle in NA and MGSV bundle in EU and JPN. November is COD/Star Wars, even MS knows what that means.

lord_lad

Banned

you are not seeing this objectively but subjectively...yes, Fallout is 'bigger' from the gaming world but Star War is 'the shitz' in the REAL world....

Wynnebeck

Banned

I think you are severely overestimating FO4. Yeah, it's highly anticipated, but it's not that anticipated. I could easily see that going to FFXV or KH3.

You do know that fall out 3 only ship 4.7 million copies the first month WW on a much larger install base.

I am more than aware of how big the FO IP is. Far more than aware.

November NPD will likely look like this

COD
BF
FO4

But it will be amazing how much closer its gonna look than what people in here are thinking. In fact its more than possible FO4 outperforms BF

Maniel

Banned
I think you are severely overestimating FO4. Yeah, it's highly anticipated, but it's not that anticipated. I could easily see that going to FFXV or KH3.
Both can set a record. FO4 can set the record, and then in 2016/17 FFXV or KH3 could break that record

Haven't WRPGs done much better on the PS4, though? Didn't the PS4 version of Witcher III sold about twice as much as the XBO version in the US/UK?

To be fair, FO4 is also a shooter, so obviously the split is not going to be skewed. However, you need to take into the account that FO4 not only appeals to shooter fans, but also WRPG fans.

But it will be amazing how much closer its gonna look than what people in here are thinking. In fact its more than possible FO4 outperforms BF

Based on what, though? Unless Abdiel comes here and says FO4 preorders are substantially higher than BF preorders, we don't really have any evidence that suggests FO4 outperforming BF.

COD
BF
FO4

Guess we will see but i don't see FO beating BF with SW hype going .
I should note that we might not get the full figures with both being bundle .

It doesn't matter as much for marketing deals but it still matters. Marketing dollars would be most effective if they were spent targting the platform with the biggest sales. Marketing obviously has an effect or else it wouldn't be done. Don't you think someone would have noticed by now if say having an exclusive Destiny marketing deal didn't affect software sales?

You are thinking about this from the perspective of someone who closely follows games. I'm pretty sure advertising has little effect on you, and you already have a list of the games you want to buy. Most people aren't like that which is why advertising works. If they see a game they might like, but it is advertised for a system they don't have, or don't plan to get, they will discount that ad. They could do so because they simply don't want to get excited about a game they aren't sure they can play, or they could be console fanboys fighting the good fight.

Either way targeting an ad towards a specific console has costs associated with it. The smaller that console's userbase, the higher the associated costs.

As for why Sony and Microsoft have their strategies, my theory is that Sony is throwing some of their resources at Morpheus and combined with some game delays left a whole in their exclusive schedule. That forced them to emphasize third party more. Microsoft on the other hand needs exclusives more than Sony as an additional excuse to buy the XB1. It seems that they only emphasized their exclusive strategy, along with reduced cost, relatively recently once it became evident that the XB1 was falling way behind the PS4. And yes, I think that reduced marketshare increased their costs to do third party deals to the point where they weren't worth it to them.

I don't think that people necessarily discount a game because of what platform has end-caps during advertisements. As has been stated before, I think the consumer is generally a little more informed than what is generally believed-- especially for people that already own a current-generation console. The people that would believe a game is exclusive because of its marketing would be the people who probably don't already own a console and are more likely to get a PS4 or XB1 because of that game being marketed (or not get a console at all).

I do agree with your reasoning about the new "philosophies" or both companies, but I think they will persist beyond the holidays. Hopefully, under the new leadership at MS, Xbox will continue to try to cultivate first-party IP, as unlike third-party relations, which are ephemeral and can change hands frequently, first-party games will always be system-sellers for Xbox and PS.

I think both of you are right, to an extent. Fallout 4 is going to be huge among previous gamers, but its possible that Star Wars will bring in new consumers who weren't necessarily hardcore gamers to bring in. Extending this thought to Xbox and PS in general, I think the Xbox One this holiday is going to bring in a huge amount of 360 owners, but the PS4 might bring in a significant amount of "casual" gamers who don't have much experience with the medium (especially if it comes with a significant price-cut).

Three

COD
BF
FO4

I think that Black ops 3 will be the clear winner. By a landslide. Between BF and FO4 I actually think FO4 has a chance of charting NPD higher than Starwars but when you include bundles then BF will be higher. I think BF will be less frontloaded too. It may sell more over the entire tracking period but have lower launch day/preorders.

I think that Black ops 3 will be the clear winner. By a landslide. Between BF and FO4 I actually think FO4 has a chance of charting NPD higher than Starwars but when you include bundles then BF will be higher. I think BF will be less frontloaded too. It may sell more over the entire tracking period but have lower launch day/preorders.

Black Ops 3 will have a gargantuan performance no doubt, unless people hate the Beta. For sure it will be No 1 in November

Boke1879

Yes. Yes. Keep them coming. Who else wants to throw in? Come on folks leeeeeeeeets go!!! Thread is heating up now

If this makes any sense. I can see FO4 software sales selling more than BF for NPD considering FO4 releases a week earlier. But I think BF could potentially sell more PS4's. If that makes any sense.

Fat4all

Banned
I have a feeling that unless some announcements are made, the only company that won't make a shitton of cash this November/December will be Nintendo.

If this makes any sense. I can see FO4 software sales selling more than BF for NPD considering FO4 releases a week earlier. But I think BF could potentially sell more PS4's. If that makes any sense.

If we count both November and December, I think BF will sell more and move more PS4's than FO4 will with the XBO. It will be backed by Sony's marketing and Episode VII. Disney will no doubt, pitch in a lot of marketing, too. In the short-term, FO4 will sell more.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft only has the Halo 5 bundle for the holidays. They have Madden / Gears this month and Forza / Fifa in September. Sony has the Destiny TTK bundle in September, the Star Wars bundles in November and there's still an expected but not definite bundle for COD.

The only negative I see from Sony is that they didn't include the 1TB hard drive which they should have because at $400, it would be a steal especially for those who are collectors and whatnot.

Halo 5 will be big but not as big as Star Wars or COD. Bigger fan bases for COD and Star Wars (plus the movie comes out the same time) will sell the PS4. Two other factors is 1) Halo 5 is being developed by 343 and I seriously doubt that Halo fans have the same confidence in them as they did Bungie especially after the disaster that was Halo: MCC and 2) The Halo 5 bundle is $500 which is insane. Seems like Microsoft is hoping to suck an extra $100 for each bundle since they've basically been giving away Xbox One consoles since last November.

And to think, this is WITHOUT Sony having any top tier AAA first party exclusives after Until Dawn for the rest of the year. Yeah, there's Uncharted Collection but im not going to count that.

Even if Xbox One outsells PS4 the last quarter of the year, it won't be by the 600K+ margin that it was last year. And Microsoft screwed up anyway by going after Tomb Raider to be a timed exclusive when they should have went after Fallout 4 which would have made a hell of a lot more sense especially since it has MOD support on day one for Xbox One.

Either way, just have to wait and see what happens these next few months.

If I'm making a long term forecast bet I say BF outsells FO

I also think ya'll are grossly underestimating how big FO4 will be.

Its entirely possible November is the biggest month in the history of this industry

Chobel. Pls
based on what exactly? sales, money earned? because neither will come close to the records. or are you saying november is usually the biggest month, because that also isn't true

Chobel

Microsoft only has the Halo 5 bundle for the holidays. They have Madden / Gears this month and Forza / Fifa in September. Sony has the Destiny TTK bundle in September, the Star Wars bundles in November and there's still an expected but not definite bundle for COD.

The only negative I see from Sony is that they didn't include the 1TB hard drive which they should have because at $400, it would be a steal especially for those who are collectors and whatnot.

Halo 5 will be big but not as big as Star Wars or COD. Bigger fan bases for COD and Star Wars (plus the movie comes out the same time) will sell the PS4. Two other factors is 1) Halo 5 is being developed by 343 and I seriously doubt that Halo fans have the same confidence in them as they did Bungie especially after the disaster that was Halo: MCC and 2) The Halo 5 bundle is $500 which is insane. Seems like Microsoft is hoping to suck an extra $100 for each bundle since they've basically been giving away Xbox One consoles since last November.

And to think, this is WITHOUT Sony having any top tier AAA first party exclusives after Until Dawn for the rest of the year. Yeah, there's Uncharted Collection but im not going to count that.

Even if Xbox One outsells PS4 the last quarter of the year, it won't be by the 600K+ margin that it was last year. And Microsoft screwed up anyway by going after Tomb Raider to be a timed exclusive when they should have went after Fallout 4 which would have made a hell of a lot more sense especially since it has MOD support on day one for Xbox One.

I'm sure they'll have more bundles for TR2 and Fallout 4.

based on what exactly? sales, money earned? because neither will come close to the records. or are you saying november is usually the biggest month, because that also isn't true

Unit sales volume. I should mean for November though as December will eclipse it in dollars.

November NPD this year is possible to have the highest software total for any November ever. Could not as well of course.

But that trifecta of BO3, BF, and FO4 is soooooooo damn big.

Edit: though digital is so much stronger now. In terms of what we will see at NPD we can already shave off about 10 - 15% of sales so that makes biggest software in November more difficult

Ascenion

Serious question....has a Bethesda game ever been bundled at launch with a console? I know Skyrim was bundled with 360s like the following year but not in 2011. I'm expecting a Tomb Raider:DE/ROTR budle over a Fallout 4 bundle if not simply a Halo 5/MCC basic bundle.

As Chobel and Fat4all have stated, it's very likely that MS will have more Xbox bundles focused on Tomb Raider and Fallout for the holidays. It's a bit disingenuous at this point to state that MS "only has the Halo 5 bundle for the holidays", especially when the Battlefront bundles were only announced today!

Battlefront and COD will definitely sell a lot of PS4s, but they will also sell many XB1s (this is especially the case for COD). As I said before, end-caps in trailers switching platforms will not eliminate the history COD has had with Xbox. Close to 300K XB1s were sold during Destiny launch month in NPD; only exclusives have the power to push one console exclusively (heh). With Battlefront, ironically, the XB1 will have the benefit of offering the 5-days early access through EA Access, but that's besides the point.

I doubt that Sony would have pushed as hard for 3rd-party marketing deals had they actually been releasing big first-party games this holiday. In fact, I wouldn't say it's completely absurd to state that MS would have retained marketing rights to COD and AC and maybe even pushed harder to get SW marketing rights had Halo 5 not been releasing this October!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure they'll have more bundles for TR2 and Fallout 4.

I don't think that they will. GamesCom was really the last chance for them to announce bundles for NA and they have in Aug/Sept plus whatever bundles that they've already had. I was expecting a TR2 bundle announcement at GamesCom but it never happened and despite what they say, I think they've pretty much given up on TR2 selling Xbox One consoles. Pre-orders for the PS4 version have already surpassed the Xbox One version despite it being over a year away. Great deal for SE but Microsoft basically threw money away there. Don't see a Fallout 4 bundle either because why not announce it at E3? That would have been huge especially since it's supposed to have MOD support day one where as PS4 won't. Microsoft should have paid for Fallout 4 to be a timed exclusive instead of TR2. Huge mistake in my opinion.

If they do have bundles for these two games, I think that it would be more of a "thrown together" at the last minute than actual themed console bundles.

All I know is that between Halo 5, COD, Star Wars and Fallout 4, TR2 is going to be the game that gets lost in the crowd. Don't think it will do anything whatsoever sales wise regardless of reviews and scores. In my opinion, Microsoft went with the wrong franchise.

Elandyll

Banned
There is no indication so far of a big marketing deal between MS and Bethesda, beside ads and a mod function coming "some time later after release, console first".
Heck, FO Shelter is avail on MS's two biggest competitors (IOS / Android) but afaik a win 10 version has not even been announced.

TR and Halo 5 will be the big ones imo (alongside some more minors like Madden, Fifa, and Forza 6).

(Same thing in the US for MGS 5 and Sony btw. In Europe there is a marketing deal but no sign in the US, again afaik.)

I don't think that they will. GamesCom was really the last chance for them to announce bundles for NA and they have in Aug/Sept plus whatever bundles that they've already had. I was expecting a TR2 bundle announcement at GamesCom but it never happened and despite what they say, I think they've pretty much given up on TR2 selling Xbox One consoles. Pre-orders for the PS4 version have already surpassed the Xbox One version despite it being over a year away. Great deal for SE but Microsoft basically threw money away there. Don't see a Fallout 4 bundle either because why not announce it at E3? That would have been huge especially since it's supposed to have MOD support day one where as PS4 won't. Microsoft should have paid for Fallout 4 to be a timed exclusive instead of TR2. Huge mistake in my opinion.

If they do have bundles for these two games, I think that it would be more of a "thrown together" at the last minute than actual themed console bundles.

All I know is that between Halo 5, COD, Star Wars and Fallout 4, TR2 is going to be the game that gets lost in the crowd. Don't think it will do anything whatsoever sales wise regardless of reviews and scores. In my opinion, Microsoft went with the wrong franchise.

Not necessarily. Microsoft announced the AC, COD:AW, and SSO bundles last October.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Not necessarily. Microsoft announced the AC, COD:AW, and SSO bundles last October.

And how did those bundles do? All three games came out in late October/early November and having only one month notice in regards to announcing a bundle is a bad move and should be announced at least three months in advance. Have to let consumers look over the bundles and make their decision. Announcing a bundle close to the game's release is a mistake.

Boke1879

And how did those bundles do? All three games came out in late October/early November and having only one month notice in regards to announcing a bundle is a bad move and should be announced at least three months in advance. Have to let consumers look over the bundles and make their decision. Announcing a bundle close to the game's release is a mistake.

Those bundles a long with the price drop MS announced won them the Holidays in a big way

As Boke said, MS also cut the entry price from $399 to $349. SSO was super limited, but the AC bundle took last holiday season by storm.

Top Bottom