• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

donny2112 said:
360 is doing better than the Xbox. The PS3 is slightly ahead of the GameCube, maybe, but the GameCube will pull ahead after December. PS3 should pull away again with next year's price cut, though.
PS3 is about 400k ahead of Gamecube right now launch-aligned. As you say, it will be behind after December; Gamecube had a very good third Christmas, and PS3 won't.

Tiktaalik

Speevy said:
Remember last generation when we used to argue that our favorite systems' sales were a reflection of the games that came out during the month, and the library currently available?

That was fun.

:(

Honestly I would be pretty surprised if Killzone 2 managed to break 500k in February. Their first party games are just not connecting like they should.

Captain Smoker said:
Why's noone complaining about M$ or SONY?
Because clearly Microsoft and Sony are releasing core games out of the kindness of their hearts, not to make money, therefore they are the only ones who aren't evil!

sonicmj1

grandjedi6 said:
The difference of course is that Nintendo made a profit on the gamecube and N64 while Sony is suffering extreme losses with the PS3. And that makes a world of difference.

Did they?

I know Nintendo made a profit during the period when the Gamecube and N64 were on the market. But at the same time, they also had an incredibly lucrative monopoly on the handheld industry with the Game Boy and Game Boy Advance.

I remember taking a peek at reports, and finding no way to distinguish the money Nintendo made from handhelds from the money Nintendo made from consoles. Maybe I didn't look hard enough?

Does anyone have a source that proves that the Gamecube and the Nintendo 64 specifically made Nintendo money, and that their profits didn't just come from the Game Boy and Game Boy Advance?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Zeouterlimits said:
HOLY SHIT, I just checked,
the PS3 sold 466,000 in November 07, meaning it sold 88,000 less this year!

Someone compared the PS Family sales between November 2007 and November 2008 already in this thread. Every console sold less.

Fladam

Two million is insane. Just freaking insane.

One out of every in 150 people in America bought a Wii in November.

INSANE.

jett said:
I think it's about time Sony gives Insomniac the middle finger. Good for absolutely nothing they've been this gen. Other studios could benefit from that funding.

They've made some good games. Surely better than a lot of devs can claim this gen. The PS3 is a failing system. Sony has only themselves to blame.

Insomniac doesn't have any blame in this.

Pachael

Well, the Blu-Ray crowd must be happy with the extra 400K players that are in the market

One saving grace: Looks like Sonic Unleashed went the way of the werehog?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Spike said:
Oh please. Surely they thought they would have done better than they did. I mean, they're looking at the PS3 as a media hub, and not just a gaming system. Do you really think they'll be happy with, or were expecting, those kind of numbers for their "media hub?" They thought Blu-Ray would have pushed them ahead, but with these $250-300 dedicated Blu-Ray players out there, there is nowhere for the PS3 to go. They needed a price cut this year. They did not need another $499 bundle. They shot themselves in the foot. Period.

And I know the economy has tanked. Guess what? It's only going to get worse before it gets better. This was the chance that they could have sold some systems if they had dropped the price. If they do a price drop for, let's say, March. Do you think people will be willing to spend $300 on the system after another three months of recession has hit?
Actually with the US economy tanking, droping the price would be stupid of Sony.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gregor7777 said:
They've made some good games. Surely better than a lot of devs can claim this gen. The PS3 is a failing system. Sony has only themselves to blame.

Yup. Insomniac's output is impressive and is held back by the userbase it is selling to.

Spike said:
Oh please. Surely they thought they would have done better than they did. I mean, they're looking at the PS3 as a media hub, and not just a gaming system. Do you really think they'll be happy with, or were expecting, those kind of numbers for their "media hub?" They thought Blu-Ray would have pushed them ahead, but with these $250-300 dedicated Blu-Ray players out there, there is nowhere for the PS3 to go. They needed a price cut this year. They did not need another $499 bundle. They shot themselves in the foot. Period.

And I know the economy has tanked. Guess what? It's only going to get worse before it gets better. This was the chance that they could have sold some systems if they had dropped the price. If they do a price drop for, let's say, March. Do you think people will be willing to spend $300 on the system after another three months of recession has hit?

No ... I don't think it's going to get better for them. I also think they shot themselves in the foot. I said I HOPE they knew what was going to happen. Remember they stated that market share isn't as important to them as profitability right now. One would think that making a statement like that would also mean they understand they were going to get slaughtered this holiday season.

donny2112 said:
PS2 will be up again once they lower the cost to $99. The problem is that the losses on the PS3 is what's probably keeping them from lower the cost on the PS2.

But Jack Tretton said there was no point lowering the cost to $99 as those people dont buy games.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Sony really dropped the ball marketing LBP though, you really can't deny that. I've seen 2 commercials for it, maybe.

They had a potential hit and they let it slip through the cracks.
!

I personally saw more LBP ads and even billboards than any other game in recent memory. Even my non-gamer gf commented on them.

Now, were the ads done well? That's another story.

Crayon

jett said:
I think it's about time Sony gives Insomniac the middle finger. Good for absolutely nothing they've been this gen. Other studios could benefit from that funding.

ill drink to that.

Kunan

WasteLand Soldier said:
holy CRAP at wii hardware. WTF tho how can you sell 2 million units and have SHIT software sales like that? thats not good IMO.
People will never get it will they? Have you ever seen Boom Blox in the top 10? Did you know its sold more than Resistance 2 so far? Does that last sentence boggle your mind, cause it does for me.

gregor7777 said:

Rare? Is that you?

Fredescu

Captain Smoker said:
They own the rights and they publish the games, outsourcing is normal.

Why's noone complaining when M$ & SONY do this?
Because MS and Sony continue to make loads of internally developed software aimed at gaming enthusiasts too. The Wii's success has brought none of the predicted software support, not even from Nintendo themselves.

RJT

grandjedi6 said:
Actually dropping the price isn't necessarily the best answer. Sony's goal is profit maximization cutting their losses. So lowering the price isn't going to help unless they have a large enough increase in sales to get a larger revenue than initially.
That is incorrect. You have to factor in the margin they have currently and the margin they would have with a price drop. A severe price drop would most likely mean they would lose money on every sale.

Maybe the job cuts were made to finance a PS3 price drop, but I somehow doubt it...

gregor7777 said:

This.

Tom_Cody

spoiler.png

Aaron Strife said:
Because clearly Microsoft and Sony are releasing core games out of the kindness of their hearts, not to make money, therefore they are the only ones who aren't evil!

Only because of graphics, because that's clearly what they can do better than last gen.....unfortunately....

Kusagari

Those Resistance numbers really are pathetic. Sony's premier shooter this fall should not be outsold by L4D which came out so much later in the month.

FirewalkR

Holy Hell!!! I'm cleaning my laptop's monitor because I actually spat when I saw 2 million. :lol

Wait a sec, why did I do that, I wasn't even drinking anything. o_O

Sony needs price drop nau

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
weren't there some sony fans here awhile back that said Resistance 2 would outsell Gears 2?

:lol :lol

you know who you are

suffah said:
I personally saw more LBP ads and even billboards than any other game in recent memory. Even my non-gamer gf commented on them.

Now, were the ads done well? That's another story.

Thats the other thing, the ads were confusing and weren't very compelling. Also I think some of the launch issues hurt sales as well as word of mouth. I had it figured doing at least 300-400k though, so this really is a shame. Hopefully it will have legs and sell under the radar for awhile....

TheListener said:
Bastards killed gafffWWWAH??? 2 million??? Holy jesus.
360 nice
Ps3 not horrid

Gears 2 = Huge
COD: Jingoism and bad taste = of course
No LBP
L4D 360 > Resistance 2

I guess Guitar Hero World Tour didn't flop.

Sorry, I can't understand that at all, those PS3 figures are a complete disaster. Being outsold by the competition by more than 5:1 is just outright embarrassing. Heck even the second place competitor is well above outselling them 2:1.

The Wii is a product that will go down in business and marketing history, this thing will be in text books for centuries to come, and I can honestly see it as the prodct that defines our times. Its just that damn successful, and at a time where every other part of the economy is collapsing all around it.

Cerrius said:
360 over 800k: :D
Third parties on 360: :D

leading the industry again

Wii shouldnt be considered a game system IMO, its more of a interactive toy.

Just like all other gaming systems?

WasteLand Soldier said:
2 million systems in 1 month you'd think you have stuff cracking 750k. especially something like mario kart. no 3rd party titles either. its like wii sports and wii play are all these people are buying.

Keep 'em coming guys, keep 'em coming.:lol

X26 said:
Some will argue that the Wii is making the pie bigger and that in the long run some of the new consumers will branch out and also purchase things other than uber casual titles.

Others say it's more likely Microsoft and Sony will adapt Nintendo's low cost, low quality, super casual approach and those who like games to have effort put into them and appeal to more than just kids (say, the average GAFer) will be left with less to look forward too and the insudtry as a whole will become completely casual.

Who's right? Who really knows, time will tell. But honestly, the most likely and probable otucome is going to be the latter, companies are motivated first and foremost by profit afterall, and if they can accomplish that without having to invest in quality it's all the better.

Wii = the next gen sweatshop

Serious games sell well on the Wii though. Look at Zack and Wiki, No More Heroes, Guitar Hero, Smash Bros, Sin & Punishment (first NA so successful that a sequel spawned), Tales of Symphonia 2, and Super Mario Galaxy.

sonicmj1 said:
Did they?

I know Nintendo made a profit during the period when the Gamecube and N64 were on the market. But at the same time, they also had an incredibly lucrative monopoly on the handheld industry with the Game Boy and Game Boy Advance.

I remember taking a peek at reports, and finding no way to distinguish the money Nintendo made from handhelds from the money Nintendo made from consoles. Maybe I didn't look hard enough?

Does anyone have a source that proves that the Gamecube and the Nintendo 64 specifically made Nintendo money, and that their profits didn't just come from the Game Boy and Game Boy Advance?

idk about the N64 but I do know that Nintendo posted profit with the Gamecube console itself. And if the GC did the N64 should have as well.

Kyoufu

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Honestly I would be pretty surprised if Killzone 2 managed to break 500k in February. Their first party games are just not connecting like they should.

I thought Sony's first party games under-perform because of the lack of marketing put behind them.

Look at the craptacular ads their games have gotten. Its abysmal. Of course, KZ2 has been hyped ever since E3 2005 and delivers on most of that hype. The graphics alone will sell that game. It *should* do over 500k first month IMO.

Top Bottom