• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

Grecco

polyh3dron said:
What are all these Wii owners going to do when they see the footage for all these awesome PS3 games during the VGAs on Sunday?

The Same thing you are going to do? Watch a shitty awards show?

d+pad said:
I'm amazed Animal Crossing didn't sell more in its first half-month, considering how popular the first installment was (and the DS version, too.). Maybe it was in the top 20? I wonder how it will do in December.

It'd be nice if NOA stopped with the ads featuring adult women and get some other demographics in there...

Probably Top 20, but we'll find out once that chart comes out. It was a crowded month.

I foresee it being leggy, but not on the level of Mario Kart or Wii Fit.

Frillen said:
Shit software sales? I see 5 Wii games in the top 10.

2 million systems in 1 month you'd think you have stuff cracking 750k. especially something like mario kart. no 3rd party titles either. its like wii sports and wii play are all these people are buying.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Maybe word got out that even though LBP is a masterpiece in terms of creativity, its gameplay mechanics suck... That'd explain its poor sales, IMVHO.

Cygnus X-1

EviLore said:
Dollar sales data and Anita Frazier's analysis added to OP.

Anita Frazier said:
All three of the newer generation console systems have something to brag about. The expanded supply of Wii systems at retail was clearly evident in the sales figures this month. The 360 realized a nice unit sales bump over last November and the PS3 year-to-date unit sales growth is impressive.

I understand that Frau Frazier has to comment as neutrally as possible, but holy hell, what she says is just so pathetic to read.

X26

Banned
PseudoKirby said:
thats at a Dollar A Piece...

it would be $510,000,000.00

I am really hating the sales situation this gen

the wii releases NO new games period and can do this

whats going to happen next gen if everyone starts following nintendo's gameplan?

as a CEO of a company what are you going to do if you can make a console and 2 GAMES ONLY and have those games sell like crazy to mass market casuals for 5 years

no wonder nintendo doesnt wanna put out anymore hardcore games

its easier to please casual

Some will argue that the Wii is making the pie bigger and that in the long run some of the new consumers will branch out and also purchase things other than uber casual titles.

Others say it's more likely Microsoft and Sony will adapt Nintendo's low cost, low quality, super casual approach and those who like games to have effort put into them and appeal to more than just kids (say, the average GAFer) will be left with less to look forward too and the insudtry as a whole will become completely casual.

Who's right? Who really knows, time will tell. But honestly, the most likely and probable otucome is going to be the latter, companies are motivated first and foremost by profit afterall, and if they can accomplish that without having to invest in quality it's all the better.

Wii = the next gen sweatshop

Speevy

Banned
Remember last generation when we used to argue that our favorite systems' sales were a reflection of the games that came out during the month, and the library currently available?

That was fun.

WasteLand Soldier said:
2 million systems in 1 month you'd think you have stuff cracking 750k. especially something like mario kart. no 3rd party titles either. its like wii sports and wii play are all these people are buying.
Oh God you're right Nintendo going third party confirmed

Kujo

schuelma said:
For everyone complaining about bomba's etc..remember that the bar is very high this month to make it to the top 10.

A game could do over 250K and not chart.
Yep.

Lebron

Cerrius said:
360 over 800k: :D
Third parties on 360: :D

leading the industry again

Wii shouldnt be considered a game system IMO, its more of a interactive toy.
Ah man, why you got to stir the pot?:lol

Angelus said:
My shiny new PS3 cried today. Atleast the 360 and PS3 can live in harmony,sharing their sorrows with a beer together in my apartment while Nintendo's Matrix takes over the rest of the world,Jesus Christ.

Good for Nintendo.
But damn this scares the graphics whore in me.
I really hope Sony and Microsoft don't do Wii like ideas next time around:(

Dear lord no. I fucking hate the Wii. Nothing against the system, it's just not my cup o tea. I would rather see Sony and MS join forces since it appears as though the HD market is a little saturated.

WasteLand Soldier said:

Guitar Hero 1st party title confirmed! :O

Linkhero1

polyh3dron said:
What are all these Wii owners going to do when they see the footage for all these awesome PS3 games during the VGAs on Sunday?
I'll probably be busy playing Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

Sadist

WasteLand Soldier said:
... ... ... name one big third party release. And is that Guitar Hero WT for Wii that I spy with my little eye?

X26 said:
Some will argue that the Wii is making the pie bigger and that in the long run some of the new consumers will branch out and also purchase things other than uber casual titles.

Others say it's more likely Microsoft and Sony will adapt Nintendo's low cost, low quality, super casual approach and those who like games to have effort put into them and appeal to more than just kids (say, the average GAFer) will be left with less to look forward too and the insudtry as a whole will become completely casual.

Who's right? Who really knows, time will tell. But honestly, the most likely and probable otucome is going to be the latter, companies are motivated first and foremost by profit afterall, and if they can accomplish that without having to invest in quality it's all the better.

Wii = the next gen sweatshop

360's software sales every month tell them that there's a solid market for their approach.

Spike

Fenderputty said:
In all fairness ... who expected different? The PS3 is way more expensive than the options. There isn't any sales or bundles worth a damn. The economy is in the toilets. I'm pretty sure Sony expected this when they decided that a price drop for market share wasn't what they wanted to do. At least I hope they expected this. I sure know I did.

Oh please. Surely they thought they would have done better than they did. I mean, they're looking at the PS3 as a media hub, and not just a gaming system. Do you really think they'll be happy with, or were expecting, those kind of numbers for their "media hub?" They thought Blu-Ray would have pushed them ahead, but with these $250-300 dedicated Blu-Ray players out there, there is nowhere for the PS3 to go. They needed a price cut this year. They did not need another $499 bundle. They shot themselves in the foot. Period.

And I know the economy has tanked. Guess what? It's only going to get worse before it gets better. This was the chance that they could have sold some systems if they had dropped the price. If they do a price drop for, let's say, March. Do you think people will be willing to spend $300 on the system after another three months of recession has hit?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
polyh3dron said:

Casuals watch video game award shows? :lol

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
polyh3dron said:

Wii gamers won't be watching them. Because it's past their bedtime amirite.

Are people really happy that Little big Planet bombed, you people need help.

Crazy numbers, PS3 needs a price drop like yesterday. Wii is amazing, record breaking holiday coming right up.

skyfinch

Families are buying 2 Wiis at a time, so they can engage in hand to hand combat with each other since there's no games to play.

It's great to see Wii Music doing so well, as it's a fantastic game. I knew everyone was jumping the gun last month when they insisted that it was a major bomb. It should do pretty well next month, too. Casual games, in general, have longer legs than hardcore titles do. On a related note, I find it pretty funny to see people now describing Animal Crossing as a bomb. I'm sure that game will be alright in the long run.

jett

D-Member
I think it's about time Sony gives Insomniac the middle finger. Good for absolutely nothing they've been this gen. Other studios could benefit from that funding.

CommancheRaisinToast said:
im really glad, and pleasantly surprised, that the game industry did better in sales than last november with the way the economy is affecting consumers. i wish this could somehow cause a lot of these layoffs to be a little more restrained in light of the numbers. doubtful though.

ps3... boo. sucks, but i'd really like to see a comparison of sony's last 2 november numbers. only reason is that ps3 could end up being a psp this gen and just keep a steady, mild, pace the rest of it's life- with a few brief spikes from monster hunter portable type stuffs.
HOLY SHIT, I just checked,
the PS3 sold 466,000 in November 07, meaning it sold 88,000 less this year!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
BenjaminBirdie said:
360's software sales every month tell them that there's a solid market for their approach.

There is definitely a market, but it seems pretty high risk/high reward.

Activision is sitting pretty with CoD, but you have EA in big trouble because their big budget projects didn't hit very hard.

Sony really dropped the ball marketing LBP though, you really can't deny that. I've seen 2 commercials for it, maybe.

They had a potential hit and they let it slip through the cracks.

And Valve stated L4D pre-orders were tracking above the orange box so it's no surprise to see it selling well. Hooray, we have another valve franchise to embrace and nurture!

farnham

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Most Wii owners don't even know what the VGAs are.
yeah and they are better off not knowing what those horrible awards are

Shalashaska said:
Pretty sure it's not the same demographic there.
so if you own a wii you are not allowed to watch VGA..?

man im so lucky i have one :D :D

Frillen

WasteLand Soldier said:

Umm... Mario Kart has been out for like 8 months now, but somehow you manage to spin Mario Kart's performance into something negative. :S:S:S:S

Oh, and GH4 is there.

GeoramA

Speevy said:
Remember last generation when we used to argue that our favorite systems' sales were a reflection of the games that came out during the month, and the library currently available?

That was fun.
Why haven't you sold your PS3 yet? It's in 3rd place!

2 million whooooooooooooo!

Top Bottom