• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

Grecco said:
Both?

Doesnt stop both from looking like cool games for next year

Wrong, Sin & Punishment 2 is a co development between Treasure and Nintendo, just like the original. So it IS being developed by Nintendo. Punchout however is a 3rd party developed game (Next Level Games)

Beyond the primary and obvious reason - price - Sony's other major failure is marketing.

They could have spent the last month advertising what was actually special about LBP. They could have talked about how it was universally acclaimed. Instead, they spoke about french fries.

They could have said "hey, our online is free" or talked about Blu-Ray, but instead they chose random projections of The Dark Knight on a building and showing someone's living room getting shot up.

Overall, I think it'll be a good lesson for Sony. Perhaps in the next gen, they'll pull a Nintendo - mildly upgrade the hardware and focus on how people interact with the machine.

Grecco

duk said:
this is just sad

sighs

Its not to me. L4D amazing. I got to kill Amirox :p

Nuclear Muffin said:
Wrong, Sin & Punishment 2 is a co development between Treasure and Nintendo, just like the original. So it IS being developed by Nintendo. Punchout however is a 3rd party developed game (Next Level Games)

I thought it was made just by Treasure.

I still want both though.

meppi

PseudoKirby said:
I am really hating the sales situation this gen

the wii releases NO new games period and can do this

whats going to happen next gen if everyone starts following nintendo's gameplan?

as a CEO of a company what are you going to do if you can make a console and 2 GAMES ONLY and have those games sell like crazy to mass market casuals for 5 years

no wonder nintendo doesnt wanna put out anymore hardcore games

its easier to please casual
keep those tears coming. :lol

I think it's about time Sony gives Insomniac the middle finger. Good for absolutely nothing they've been this gen. Other studios could benefit from that funding.

(neutral) jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 01:18 AM)
Reply | Quote

Don't try too hard.

(damn thread is moving fast :D)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wii 2.04M

awesome.gif

Kunan said:
People will never get it will they? Have you ever seen Boom Blox in the top 10? Did you know its sold more than Resistance 2 so far? Does that last sentence boggle your mind, cause it does for me.

Holy shit, really?

Is there a source for Boom Blox numbers?

Luckyman

Banned
jett said:
I think it's about time Sony gives Insomniac the middle finger. Good for absolutely nothing they've been this gen. Other studios could benefit from that funding.

Insomniac just had their biggest first month ever :lol

xbhaskarx

VALIS said:
Nov. 2007 / Nov 2008 = Differential
Playstation 3: 466K / 378K = -88K
Playstation 2: 496K / 206K = -290K
PSP: 567K / 421K = -146K

Sony needs to make some serious changes.

NPD analyst Anita Frazier said:
All three of the newer generation console systems have something to brag about. The expanded supply of Wii systems at retail was clearly evident in the sales figures this month. The 360 realized a nice unit sales bump over last November and the PS3 year-to-date unit sales growth is impressive.

I'm confused, in what is supposed to be an analysis of November NPD numbers, is Frazier talking about PS3 sales for the full year instead just for November?
NPD analyst or Sony PR?

industrian said:
Someone compared the PS Family sales between November 2007 and November 2008 already in this thread. Every console sold less.
Ah, my apologies, CommancheRaisinToast asked and I had forgotten what you are refering to {which I had read in the thread, but slipped my mind}.

Cygnus X-1

Cerrius said:
360 over 800k: :D
Third parties on 360: :D

leading the industry again

Wii shouldnt be considered a game system IMO, its more of a interactive toy.

Quoted just to be noted. Actually, what thinks gaf about this point of view? :lol

Fredescu said:
Because MS and Sony continue to make loads of internally developed software aimed at gaming enthusiasts too. The Wii's success has brought none of the predicted software support, not even from Nintendo themselves.
And Nintendo isn't?

Just research who's responsible for "Casual-Games" @ Nintendo and which studio is currently developing what.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Kusagari said:
Those Resistance numbers really are pathetic. Sony's premier shooter this fall should not be outsold by L4D which came out so much later in the month.

I hope Sony learns something from this regarding K2. They better push, promote, and basically advertise the hell out of the game.

RJT

"We would be remiss not to point out the strength of PC game sales this month as lead by the release of the latest World of Warcraft expansion pack. Wrath of the Lich King sold over 1.4 million units in the U.S. during its debut month at retail."
NPD needs to include PC sales in their charts... I wonder if L4D PC would make the Top 10 (probably not if they can't estimate Steam sales).

hokahey

I'm a "hardcore" gamer and I love my Wii. Millions of other people joined in this month. Cry GAF, cry. :lol :lol :lol

voltron

As usual, Im having trouble deciding when to bail out of the thread. Still entertaining but I dont want to be sucked into the blackhole that is the NPD thread:lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
what the fuck is anita frazer talking about ps3 yoy growth?

800k yoy yearlong is not particularly impressive. wow, you grew 70k per month! amazing!

Kuroyume

Banned
There are people out there that will say Sony is in this position because of a lack of JRPGs. They focused on shooters more than what made them successful in the past. Well, does anyone see any JRPGs in the top 10?

Speevy

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
Quoted just to be noted. Actually, what thinks gaf about this point of view? :lol

The interactive toy thing? I don't think anyone believes the Wii's best games (like Mario Galaxy) are even slightly the reason for its success.

At least, if they do, I haven't seen it.

womfalcs3 said:
Sony needs to cut price next month. :lol

If they were worried about market share, they should have cut the price two months ago. They stated they aren't worried about market share but rather about profitability.

So now it's Insomniac's fault that their well-reviewed shooter is underperforming compared to expectations? Doesn't some of the blame have to fall on Sony for not pushing it appropriately, or gamers for not giving a fuck?

I really want more numbers.

Far Cry 2?
Fallout 3?
ToS 2?
Fable 2?
Banjo?
Mirror's Edge?
Dead Space?

Wollan

jett said:
Besides the awesome games?

Resistance 2 should in some respects be a marketing dream being released in the election period with the whole theme of the game consisting of spelunking around and saving America.

Link

The Autumn Wind
This thread is moving a mile a minute, so I apologize if this has already been covered.

bloodforge said:
If 2million sales in one month doesn't kick developers in the ass to actually take the time and make some quality titles for the Wii then nothing will.

Great 360 and DS sales as well, PS3 not so much.
Nothing will.

mysticstylez said:
People need to calm down about the software sales though. Unless the GH in the top 10 is the Wii version, no other 3rd party Wii game made top 10. Wii can sell 2million every frickin month, 3rd party games still won't chart top 10.
Because there sure was a ton of quality third party titles released on the Wii, right?

Strike

Kyoufu said:
I thought Sony's first party games under-perform because of the lack of marketing put behind them.

Look at the craptacular ads their games have gotten. Its abysmal. Of course, KZ2 has been hyped ever since E3 2005 and delivers on most of that hype. The graphics alone will sell that game. It *should* do over 500k first month IMO.

If they actually show the game in the commerical...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
RJT said:
That is incorrect. You have to factor in the margin they have currently and the margin they would have with a price drop. A severe price drop would most likely mean they would lose money on every sale.
That's basically what I said.

farnham

Banned
When i look at NPD sales charts i wonder if nintendo ever published games like zelda TP, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros Brawl, Wario Land Shake, Super Paper Mario Animal Crossing etc..

Its like those games just magically disappeared ... oh wait.. they are casual so they dont count (or kiddie.. the old.. more honest "casual")

Pachael

Wii: This is the real November surprise! The change we all wanted!

L4D: Between the 400K on 360 and Steam sales (probably as much, if not more), I'm sure Valve and Turtle Rock are sitting happy.

camineet

Banned
Jesus fucking Christ @ Wii,
2+ fucking million!

OVER TWO FUCKING MILLION

GEN
ER
ATION
DOM
IN
ATION

This post brought to you by Wii

:jawdrop

hokahey

Cygnus X-1 said:

Fanboy/crybaby bullshit.

Typical mentality of a GTA/Madden gamer. Wario Warez?!!! Thatz fer the kidS!!!

Kuroyume said:
There are people out there that will say Sony is in this position because of a lack of JRPGs. They focused on shooters more than what made them successful in the past. Well, does anyone see any JRPGs in the top 10?

These are NPD's. People think their #'s are trash in Japan due to lack of JRPG's.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
at this point the 11-20 figures are all I want from this thread. Numbers for Fallout, ME and LBP are of the utmost importance

Fredescu

Captain Smoker said:
And Nintendo isn't?

Just research who's responsible for "Casual-Games" @ Nintendo and which studio is currently developing what.
Loads? No, no they are not. Do we really need another discussion about the lack of software releases for current Wii owners over the last six months? It's been done to death.

hokahey

farnham said:
When i look at NPD sales charts i wonder if nintendo ever published games like zelda TP, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros Brawl, Wario Land Shake, Super Paper Mario Animal Crossing etc..

Its like those games just magically disappeared ... oh wait.. they are casual so they dont count (or kiddie.. the old.. more honest "casual")

B-B-but the waggle...and...and the casuals...and and the kiddies! There's no real games for it!!!!1

Top Bottom