• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

Y2Kev said:
So why hasn't MS and/or Sony imitated Wii Play and made a controller bundle?

MS have, they're bundling in Viva Pinata Party Animals with 360 controllers. Anyway, we need numbers for the other games like Banjo, TOSDOTNW, LBP and such! The top 10 shows almost nothing of the whole industry!

itxaka

Defeatist
Stumpokapow said:
Best-selling single SKU titles of all time.

Wii Play (7.9)
GTA SA PS2 (6.9)
GTA VC PS2 (6.8)
Super Mario 64 (5.9)
GTA3 PS2 (5.6)

country. mile.

woah. I thougth the GTA were at the 8 million mark. Shit, Wii is gonna finish all the ps2 records at this pace.

Cygnus X-1

MIMIC said:
The Wii will sell 4 million in December. I'm calling it.

Actually, I don't think that it's possible since the number of people that can pass through magazine doors in a month isn't that high. :lol

Seriously, if we think that we're in the middle of the worse recession of last 100 years, Nintendo's performance is even more insane.

HOLY HELLLASPODKAJFSLDFJSKLDFHSIOB DSIBNOSDVOLSZMVLSVSMVLSIEJR

WHAT THE FUCK? Nintendo... there are no words.

Regulus Tera said:
ofx3td.gif
Also, who is this? Looks familiar.

botticus

justchris said:
Why are the 500 Internal Server-

Oh.

....no way in hell December for Wii is gonna be twice November.
You'd rationally think that, but few would have said November could be almost three times October.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
CcrooK said:
Seriously. If it wasn't for the exclusive games on the PS3 (Resistance, White Knight, Valk, R&C) I'd sell my PS3. But seriously. I live like in reverse land. I own a PS3/360/PC but no Wii. The hell am I missing here? :lol

not a great deal. you don't have to buy the thing thats selling a lot. and something selling not a lot doesn't make it shit.

PS3 has some great games. its a worthwhile console to own. and if it was cheaper a lot more people would own one.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
mr_bishiuk said:
Imagine if someone had predicted that 360 Left for dead would sell more in November than LBP did in October and November?

Both great games, but I thought Left for Dead was going to get overlooked, I mean its pretty online only and had nothing like the hype of LBP

I'm actually damn surprised at L4D. Completely under the radar IMO. Pretty curious how Mirrors Edge and LBP did, though.

I am late to the thread, so I have many tears to catch up on.

For now, all I can says is "Great job, Nintendo."

EDIT- Oh shit. Wii Music is a not-bomba! :lol :lol :lol

If 2million sales in one month doesn't kick developers in the ass to actually take the time and make some quality titles for the Wii then nothing will.

Great 360 and DS sales as well, PS3 not so much.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Linkzg said:
Dark Knight blu-ray sales. believe.

600K day one sales (20% total sales), over a million week one sales. It's shattered Blu-ray sales records.

But yeah, I'd expect a price cut soon.

Anyone realize that sometime in 2009, Wii Sports will be the #1 best selling game of all time? Never thought anything would come close to that game other than a new handheld bundled with a Pokemon title. Wow.

donny2112

itxaka said:
I demand (please? :p) a chart with the best selling games in US VS wii play and another with Wii and Ps2 date aligned please.

Banned without sources for the numbers. Maybe someone can do a shipped comparison, but it would probably combine platforms.

People need to calm down about the software sales though. Unless the GH in the top 10 is the Wii version, no other 3rd party Wii game made top 10. Wii can sell 2million every frickin month, 3rd party games still won't chart top 10.

Also, anecdotally, I know quite a few people who were going to buy a PS3, then immediately reversed that decision once they discovered BC was no longer available. Larger harddrives am fail?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
mrklaw said:
this'll get lost in the avalanche, but whatever...

does anyone have numbers for the last couple of gens from launch sales? I'd like to see how well PS3/360 are doing compared to established console sales patterns. Its irrelevant to compare them to wii and say they are failing as Wii is just something else. Its basically the Mamma Mia of the gaming world - which works as a 'normal people are buying it, not just movie fans' type comparison and also as a mario one :)

Brilliant!

Strike

grandjedi6 said:
Actually dropping the price isn't necessarily the best answer. Sony's goal is profit maximization cutting their losses. So lowering the price isn't going to help unless they have a large enough increase in sales to get a larger revenue than initially.

How about better deals on consoles(during black friday) and better advertising for your exclusives?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Viva Pinata Party Animals bundle is not what I mean. It's not a permanent bundle...it's a, "oh, some bombas, let's bundle it" type deal. When there is a permanent sku of minigames that showcase the 360's capabilities as a machine, we'll talk. I think the consumer isn't dumb. There is no major proliferation of this product obviously.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Holy Shit! 2 million!

Oh and it seems like WoW ended up being the number one seller this month (sold 2.8 million on the first day, not sure about the month.), not too surprising though.

Cynar

wow 2.04 mil, that's insane!

really bad numbers for ps3 for a holiday month, I was hoping it'd at least break 600k. :(

Cygnus X-1

Stumpokapow said:
PS3 numbers are awful. Substantially down YOY despite major software launches.

Wii's January - November: 8.05 million units.
PS2's best ever January - December: 8.39 million units.

Wii Play is now best-selling single SKU in tracked history by a country mile.

Quoted in order to be noted.

Two thoughts:

a) I can't remember the last time, if ever, that there's been such a successful game system that I've had so little interest in playing. These Wii numbers put the lie to the notion that you need a robust library of quality games to move hardware units.

b) Sony is fucked. They need to put all their R&D resources into inventing a time machine so they can go back and do everything differently because that's about the only thing that's going to save the PS3 at this point. Maybe a price drop to $299/249 but I doubt they can make those numbers add up and the time to do that would have been months ago anyway. Years from now the PS3 will go down in business history as a case study in how to mismanage a seemingly invincible brand into extinction.

I can't believe they sold so many Wii's. Well, I can believe it- I just don't want to.

Why people? Why?

Not bad sales for Microsoft, pretty bad for Sony.

Kusagari

mysticstylez said:
People need to calm down about the software sales though. Unless the GH in the top 10 is the Wii version, no other 3rd party Wii game made top 10. Wii can sell 2million every frickin month, 3rd party games still won't chart top 10.

Wii 3rd party budgets also aren't as expensive as 360 or PS3 budgets. They don't need top 10 chartings.

Grecco

mysticstylez said:

Its the Wii version

bloodforge said:
If 2million sales in one month doesn't kick developers in the ass to actually take the time and make some quality titles for the Wii then nothing will.

I'd like to think that but man both East and West are slacking like hell and Nintendo is probably the worst of all about it.

:-(

for Call of Duty Wii. It's not a great effort, but it's okay, and I was hoping it'd sell because I want more FPS games on the Wii.

Top Bottom