• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

mysticstylez said:
People need to calm down about the software sales though. Unless the GH in the top 10 is the Wii version, no other 3rd party Wii game made top 10. Wii can sell 2million every frickin month, 3rd party games still won't chart top 10.

You are needed in the OT.

F#A#Oo

Banned
VALIS said:
Nov. 2007 / Nov 2008 = Differential
Playstation 3: 466K / 378K = -88K
Playstation 2: 496K / 206K = -290K
PSP: 567K / 421K = -146K

Sony needs to make some serious changes.

Wow...Sony. Sony is in a really bad position...

donny2112

VALIS said:

PS2 will be up again once they lower the cost to $99. The problem is that the losses on the PS3 is what's probably keeping them from lower the cost on the PS2.

Dunlop

Damn, 2 million is insane. All this talk recently makes me want to open my kids x-mas present and fire up MK :lol

Not sure how the 360 selling 800k is just deemed as OK...

Sony needs a magic rabbit about now

Mrbob

Wii sales are omg amazing.

X360 is solid but not spectacular. About where it should be and where it will stay. X360 will never be the breakout hit the Wii is. But it should end up a decent number two in the usa.

PS3 is just abysmal. Nov drop YoY is pathetic. Sony needs to get the system down to $299.99 asap, but the damage is already done. They'll be lucky to eek out a second place win this gen.

Look at those Nov sales for Wii, if I were a 3rd party publisher I would start making 360/Wii games and then port them over to the PS3.

mrklaw said:
Its irrelevant to compare them to wii and say they are failing as Wii is just something else. Its basically the Mamma Mia of the gaming world - which works as a 'normal people are buying it, not just movie fans' type comparison and also as a mario one :)

Hero

Also find it hilarious that Wii Music is in the top 10 and Little Big Planet isn't. GAF eats crow again.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Case said:
7240h3.gif

/thread

Cygnus X-1

VALIS said:

They did actually. They cut 16'000 jobs.

Y2Kev said:
So why hasn't MS and/or Sony imitated Wii Play and made a controller bundle?
I've seen Army of Two bundled with an extra controller... wouldn't matter much since most PS3s (360s as well?) already come packed with an extra controller.

fabprems

Captain Smoker said:
Hardware LTD's:
PSP: 13.227.000
360: 12.449.000

I had never notice that PSP > 360 ...
Guess that the 360's owner are really hungry for AAA games, big games always top the charts...

Nintendo... even them wouldn't have called this one or two years ago, it's incredible... and I guess that the Blue Ocean turned Green by now :D

Kujo

Need numbers for:

Mirrors Edge
Banjo: N&B
LittleBigPlanet

#10 is 300K, so a Top 20 could be useful right now.

DuckRacer

mysticstylez said:
People need to calm down about the software sales though. Unless the GH in the top 10 is the Wii version, no other 3rd party Wii game made top 10. Wii can sell 2million every frickin month, 3rd party games still won't chart top 10.
EviLore updated the OP, GHWT is the Wii sku.

Kusagari said:
Wii 3rd party budgets also aren't as expensive as 360 or PS3 budgets. They don't need top 10 chartings.
Also, Wii titles have legs. Bloom Blox has already sold over 400k, yet it never charted in the top 10.

DogWelder

For those asking:

The highest console sales in a month is Dec 2002 when the PS2 sold 2.7 million.
The highest November sales were PS2's Nov 2002 total of 1.3 million.

Grecco

Y2Kev said:
Viva Pinata Party Animals bundle is not what I mean. It's not a permanent bundle...it's a, "oh, some bombas, let's bundle it" type deal. When there is a permanent sku of minigames that showcase the 360's capabilities as a machine, we'll talk. I think the consumer isn't dumb. There is no major proliferation of this product obviously.

It will happen if theres an Xmote then i guess No point in making a permantent sku to showcase 360 capabilities with a regular controler.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
smurfx said:
when sony drops the price of the ps3 next year nobody is going to give a damn. the economy will only get worse and nobody will be wanting to spend 300 on a ps3 when they can get a xbox 360 for 200 or wii for 250. now if sony dropped the price of the ps3 to 250 or 200 then they might pick up sales but that won't ever happen. sony's future in the video game market is looking bleak.

I disagree with this. Sony have shown with the PS2 that they don't need price parity to compete - in fact they seem to like being a 'premium' brand. But the gap is way too large right now. I still think there is pent up demand from people that are yet to replace their PS2 or who associate gaming with Playstation, but cant justify the current price. I think at $299 it'd do very well indeed - don't think it needs to match wii or 360

as for their future in videogames - well after N64 and gamecube you'd have said the same about Nintendo, and now look at them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
itxaka said:
woah. I thougth the GTA were at the 8 million mark. Shit, Wii is gonna finish all the ps2 records at this pace.

just because i'm nice, I'll pitch in the PS2+XBX Classic numbers for GTA

Wii Play (7.9)
GTA Double Pack, XBX (1.4)
GTA SA, XBX (1.1)
GTA SA, PS2 (6.9)
GTA VC, PS2 (6.8)
GTA3, PS2 (5.6)

If you combine either the double pack with GTAVC PS2 or both GTASA SKUs, they edge out Wii Play slightly. A few Maddens and GH3 are also in this ballpark if you combine all SKUs. Next month will change that. Wii Play is the best selling game of all time.

tak

Never in my wildest dreams last generation I thought the next Nintendo console would be doing this good. Who would have thought waggling your arms around would sell so well?

The Left 4 Dead sales shouldn't really surprise anyone. It's a FPS on the 360 made by Valve that had a massive advertising campaign. I've seen that L4D TV ad so many times.....

Sadist

mysticstylez said:
It is the Wii version of Guitar Hero WT.

Lord Helmet said:
Can't wait for the Sony spin this time.

In all fairness ... who expected different? The PS3 is way more expensive than the options. There isn't any sales or bundles worth a damn. The economy is in the toilets. I'm pretty sure Sony expected this when they decided that a price drop for market share wasn't what they wanted to do. At least I hope they expected this. I sure know I did.

Also ... WOW at the Wii.

Gary Whitta said:
b) Sony is fucked. They need to put all their R&D resources into inventing a time machine so they can go back and do everything differently because that's about the only thing that's going to save the PS3 at this point. Maybe a price drop to $299/249 but I doubt they can make those numbers add up and the time to do that would have been months ago anyway.
Well, what did you THINK Kutaragi was talking about with all that 4D mumbo jumbo?

Owzers

mysticstylez said:

Even Animal Crossing with marketing dollars backing it couldn't get in the top ten.

Speevy

Banned
The PS3's current failure is no reflection of my enjoyment of the system, but I can't even wrap my head around how devastating these numbers are.

As for the Wii, good for Nintendo. Are they EVER going to leverage this system's success for the sake of a library?

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
I just realized CoD outsold the PS3 version almost 3 TO 1!!!

:O
And the shooter genre is big enough for three shooters to chart on the same system in November: Left 4 Dead, CoD and Gears.

voltron

Gary Whitta said:
Two thoughts:

a) I can't remember the last time, if ever, that there's been such a successful game system that I've had so little interest in playing. These Wii numbers put the lie to the notion that you need a robust library of quality games to move hardware units.

but the Wii is aimed at the mass market who dont look at the games like true gamers do. I think the notion still stands. The Wii is an anomaly and as such any theories drawn around it pretty much apply to it and nothing else.

FrankT

Dunlop said:
Damn, 2 million is insane. All this talk recently makes me want to open my kids x-mas present and fire up MK :lol

Not sure how the 360 selling 800k is just deemed as OK...

Sony needs a magic rabbit about now

Eh, better than ok just not 2 mill. Heh, not much you can compare that with. I'm certain MS is pretty happey though with a YoY increase in the holiday month with a solid performance overall, and software leading the way.

botticus said:
2.7 million

Wii breaks that this month would be amazing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Strike said:
How about better deals on consoles(during black friday) and better advertising for your exclusives?
Sony doesn't have all that much control over the 1st part but the 2nd would obviously help.

But honestly, the videogame market is a bandwagon product. At this point there really isn't anything Sony can to do to save the PS3. All they can hope for is cutting their losses.

donny2112

mrklaw said:
does anyone have numbers for the last couple of gens from launch sales? I'd like to see how well PS3/360 are doing compared to established console sales patterns.

360 is doing better than the Xbox. The PS3 is slightly ahead of the GameCube, maybe, but the GameCube will pull ahead after December. PS3 should pull away again with next year's price cut, though.

Top Bottom