• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

mrklaw said:
not a great deal. you don't have to buy the thing thats selling a lot. and something selling not a lot doesn't make it shit.

PS3 has some great games. its a worthwhile console to own. and if it was cheaper a lot more people would own one.

i think hes right, if ps3 doesnt sell at least 4x what 360 sells than its not worthwhile. i know that if ps3 doesnt sell 2mil for december then i'm selling my ps3 right away, i just cant have fun playing games anymore if its not selling well.

Halvie

Banned
1cesc said:
For those asking:

The highest console sales in a month is Dec 2002 when the PS2 sold 2.7 million.
The highest November sales were PS2's Nov 2002 total of 1.3 million.

any clue what the price of the ps2 was that year....don't remember.

Fenderputty said:
In all fairness ... who expected different? The PS3 is way more expensive than the options. There isn't any sales or bundles worth a damn. The economy is in the toilets. I'm pretty sure Sony expected this when they decided that a price drop for market share wasn't what they wanted to do. At least I hope they expected this. I sure know I did.

Also ... WOW at the Wii.

I thought everyone predicted at least a slight YoY increase.

X26

Banned
Pretty rediculous all around. Wii is an ugly beast, and the PS3 is just sad. Glad the 360 did well enough, deserves it with the library it's got.

Toy Soldier said:
The Wii does have a meaty library of quality games, though.

:lol

Igo

PS3 is dead nonsense has already begun :lol I worry for these people.

People expecting them to drop the price in this economy with the yen so weak :lol

People being so apparently shocked that LBP didn't chart :lol (Does no one pay attention to the European sales?)

NekoFever

Wii 2.04M
Xbox 360 836k
PlayStation 3 378k
scaredcrygirl.gif

Yay at Left 4 Dead, though. I was pretty sure that it would be overlooked with such a crowded marketplace but those are pretty fucking amazing numbers considering the proportion of people who must have bought it on the PC and the competition in the shooter genre at the moment.

Jon

schuelma said:
The #10 game was at almost 300K.

It could have equaled its October sales and not charted and still be at almost 500K in the U.S

Not an overwhelming success but not a bomb.

This is very true, but I know many, many people considered LBP to be a surefire 1+ million seller in the US very quickly. Hence, by their expectations, it has been a disappointment.

X26 said:
Pretty rediculous all around. Wii is an ugly beast, and the PS3 is just sad. Glad the 360 did well enough, deserves it with the library it's got.

:lol

well maybe third partys will wake up.....but i guess graphics still count more than sales.....

Those people that supposedly associate gaming with the Playstation brand?

Yah, got news for you. They're getting crushed at retail by those of my generation that have always associated console gaming with Nintendo.

RIP Playstation. What a sorry ass performance.

EDIT:

And L4D > R2? :lol :lol :lol

Vilix said:
2.04 million. Hmmmm.

$2,040,000.00 HOLY SHIT!!!!
thats at a Dollar A Piece...

it would be $510,000,000.00

I am really hating the sales situation this gen

the wii releases NO new games period and can do this

whats going to happen next gen if everyone starts following nintendo's gameplan?

as a CEO of a company what are you going to do if you can make a console and 2 GAMES ONLY and have those games sell like crazy to mass market casuals for 5 years

no wonder nintendo doesnt wanna put out anymore hardcore games

its easier to please casual

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Fenderputty said:
In all fairness ... who expected different? The PS3 is way more expensive than the options. There isn't any sales or bundles worth a damn. The economy is in the toilets.
The economy may be in the toilets but people are spending more on games than ever before.

You're not making much sense.

Spike

PS3's killer app came out on December 9th. Let's see its sales next month. :lol

Okay, all kidding aside, are the third parties going to start taking the Wii seriously now? I mean, 2 million units. Wow. I was guessing 1.25-1.5 million tops, but this is unbelievable.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Speevy said:
As for the Wii, good for Nintendo. Are they EVER going to leverage this system's success for the sake of a library?

I think you're seeing it in Japan. Don't know what they can do to convince Western publishers though..they seem pretty happy in the hi def space.

itxaka

Defeatist
Stumpokapow said:
just because i'm nice, I'll pitch in the PS2+XBX Classic numbers for GTA

Wii Play (7.9)
GTA Double Pack, XBX (1.4)
GTA SA, XBX (1.1)
GTA SA, PS2 (6.9)
GTA VC, PS2 (6.8)
GTA3, PS2 (5.6)

If you combine either the double pack with GTAVC PS2 or both GTASA SKUs, they edge out Wii Play slightly. A few Maddens and GH3 are also in this ballpark if you combine all SKUs. Next month will change that. Wii Play is the best selling game of all time.

Goddammit. Thanks for the number man.

So,

Wii play - Best selling game
Wii - Best selling console

Damn. That's awesome.

Speevy said:
The PS3's current failure is no reflection of my enjoyment of the system, but I can't even wrap my head around how devastating these numbers are.

As for the Wii, good for Nintendo. Are they EVER going to leverage this system's success for the sake of a library?
Dragon Quest X.gif

PARANO1A

My forecast on the Sony spin.

PS3 2008 YTD vs 2007 YTD. It's the only metric that works.

PS3 Nov YoY fails.
Playstation family YOY... not sure.
PS3 vs competition fails.
Software sales fail. "LBP is bomba" thread revival incoming :D

TheOddOne

aj2good4you2 said:
i think hes right, if ps3 doesnt sell at least 4x what 360 sells than its not worthwhile. i know that if ps3 doesnt sell 2mil for december then i'm selling my ps3 right away, i just cant have fun playing games anymore if its not selling well.

Tha fuck...NPD makes the crazies come out

So NPD's analyst seemed reluctant to crap on Sony, claiming "impressive" year-on-year sales growth for PS3. Guess she got an early look at Sony's upcoming press release...

NekoFever said:
Yay at Left 4 Dead, though. I was pretty sure that it would be overlooked with such a crowded marketplace but those are pretty fucking amazing numbers considering the proportion of people who must have bought it on the PC and the competition in the shooter genre at the moment.

Left 4 Dead is a monster. My friends and I play it on 360 all the time. It plus Horde mode in Gears 2 are the first time since Xbox 1 that we've played this much online.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So....what are the odds the PS3 gets dreamcasted next year? Will it even be around when FFXIII comes out?

farnham

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:
holy CRAP at wii hardware. WTF tho how can you sell 2 million units and have SHIT software sales like that? thats not good IMO.
apparently the whole industry still thinks that the wii is a fad.. thats why thirdparties still dont support it as much..

Nintendo is doing a much better job releasing titles then with the GC

itxaka said:
Goddammit. Thanks for the number man.

So,

Wii play - Best selling game
Wii - Best selling console

Damn. That's awesome.

for 10 dollars/euros wii play is an awesome game

considered that..?

Talamius

I wonder when third parties will finally decide that the Wii's installed userbase is simply too large to continue ignoring them....but hey, I suppose it's their funeral. Judging from recent financial reports, a ton of them are bleeding out cash.

_Angelus_

Banned
My shiny new PS3 cried today. Atleast the 360 and PS3 can live in harmony,sharing their sorrows with a beer together in my apartment while Nintendo's Matrix takes over the rest of the world,Jesus Christ.

Good for Nintendo.
But damn this scares the graphics whore in me.
I really hope Sony and Microsoft don't do Wii like ideas next time around:(

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
For everyone complaining about bomba's etc..remember that the bar is very high this month to make it to the top 10.

A game could do over 250K and not chart.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I thought everyone predicted at least a slight YoY increase.

I didn't. The recession is killing people. Sony should have known they were going to get killed with their cheapest machine going for 399 bucks. Look the the 360's #'s after that Black Friday deal. In a sagging economy, people are naturally going to rush to the cheaper of their solutions for Christmas gifts. That isn't to say that each machine isn't great, just that people are going to go for the cheaper of the great options.

Top Bottom