• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

Barrett2

lowrider007 said:
That may be the case but it is blatantly obvious that people get carried away almost treating these figures as reflection of the WW market.

Just give it up and come over to the dark side with the rest of us. Its too exhausting trying to defend a system when you could just be mocking them all.

jeremy1456

.GqueB. said:
Gaming doom and gloom after one weak month where there were no big releases?

Comparing this years numbers to last years when GTA4 was about to be released?

Ignoring the fact this a month before people get their tax returns so especially now during a recession people are gonna wait for that check before they run out and blow money on game consoles?

Good job guys. Another great NPD thread. Retards.

It's kinda hilarious that you're so offended, especially when there have been other months with no big releases yet somehow, magically, they didn't have such a big drop.

Go cry in the corner.

Barrett2

.GqueB. said:

Ignoring the fact this a month before people get their tax returns so especially now during a recession people are gonna wait for that check before they run out and blow money on game consoles?

Truly. Nothing says well-informed like predicting game sales based on the purchase habits of delinquent income tax filers.

Jesus.....tapdancing.....christ...

AniHawk

Wait, those Excitebots numbers are from two days of sales. And those Klonoa numbers are from one day of sales when they were only available at Gamestop.

Johann

plagiarize said:
preorders have been pretty good so far. i'd be surprised if the 360 version didn't chart. PS3 version... I wouldn't be surprised if it did, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. it's a strong brand, but it's no SF or RE.

i'd certainly expect it to do better than Bionic Commando and InFamous.

It really took me by surprise when I heard a lot of my friends talking about UFC. I don't know if it'll chart but THQ is probably dying for a hit game.

Barrett2

Johann said:
It really took me by surprise when I heard a lot of my friends talking about UFC. I don't know if it'll chart but THQ is probably dying for a hit game.

Some analysts have predicted > 2m sales for UFC. Should be solid.

.GqueB.

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
It's kinda hilarious that you're so offended, especially when there have been other months with no big releases yet somehow, magically, they didn't have such a big drop.

Go cry in the corner.
lol MONTHS? There have been plenty of anticipated releases. KZ2, Halo wars, Street fighter, Resident evil. Where the hell have you been.

Aeana

Volcynika said:
How long was Klonoa tracked for anyways? Didn't really release until around the 5th.

(Only applies if this is just not guessing)
Some Gamestops got Klonoa a week early, which would explain why Klonoa is tracked and Jungle Beat Wii is not. So... here's hoping that it sold more after its real release date.

lowrider007 said:
You don't say !

That may be the case but it is blatantly obvious that people get carried away almost treating these figures as reflection of the WW market.

If your going to predict the failure or success of a console then you have to take all of the markets into consideration, not just NA.
Now that you mention it, I think I know a place where the PS3 always outsold it's competition.

SonyMetreon31.jpg

AniHawk

_Alkaline_ said:
Oh dear god. D:

See my latest post. Klonoa wasn't even officially out yet and Excitebots was only out for a couple of days. Not that I'm expecting great things from either one, but next month will give us a better idea for both.

jeremy1456

.GqueB. said:
lol MONTHS? There have been plenty of anticipated releases. KZ2, Halo wars, Street fighter, Resident evil. Where the hell have you been.

Hey genuis, I said 'months', not 'the last few months'.

But either way, continue your 'theory' on tax returns. It's entertaining.

AniHawk said:
See my latest post. Klonoa wasn't even officially out yet and Excitebots was only out for a couple of days. Not that I'm expecting great things from either one, but next month will give us a better idea for both.

That's reassuring then.

AniHawk said:
So this is how Klonoa ends. On the Wii.

You've failed me for the last time, society.
Don't worry, I'm sure some very talented fursuiters are working on Klonoa material for you to enjoy.

Rlan

Bu-Bu-Bu ExciteBots came with Plastic crap! It was meant to sell gajillions!

EDIT: Wait a fucking second. Klonoa came out on the 5th of May. How the HELL did it even sell anything beforehand?

Zero Hero

.GqueB. said:

Pretty much this.

Tax money was gone by the end of March though.

AniHawk

EmCeeGramr said:
Don't worry, I'm sure some very talented fursuiters are working on Klonoa material for you to enjoy.

I dunno. That used to work, but I need a little more than that these days.

Nintendo response:

Powered by the launch of the new Nintendo DSi™ hand-held system, the Nintendo DS franchise set a new all-time U.S. record for April hardware sales for any video game platform, according to the independent NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. Nintendo sold more than 827,000 Nintendo DSi systems in April and an additional 215,000 Nintendo DS™ Lite systems, for a combined total of more than 1.04 million. This brings life-to-date sales of the Nintendo DS franchise in the United States alone to more than 30 million.

At the same time, Nintendo’s Wii™ console remained the No. 1 home system in the United States, selling more than 340,000 in April, more than the other current-generation home console systems combined. Wii has sold through nearly 20 million in the United States since its launch in November 2006.

“Nintendo systems and software represented 56 percent of the industry total shares in April, indicating continued strong consumer preference for quality and value,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Looking ahead, we are excited to introduce active-play games like Punch-Out!! and Wii Sports Resort into the market.”

Six games published by Nintendo finished in the top 10 best-sellers of April, including the top four games of the month. These include Wii Fit™ at No. 1 with more than 470,000 sold, Pokémon™ Platinum Version at No. 2 with more than 432,000 sold, Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 3 with more than 209,000 sold, Wii Play™ at No. 4 with nearly 170,000 sold, New Super Mario Bros.™ at No. 7 with nearly 119,000 sold and Mario Kart™ DS at No. 8 with more than 112,000 sold.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
bmf said:
Now that you mention it, I think I know a place where the PS3 always outsold it's competition.

SonyMetreon31.jpg

I was referring to this statement tbh,

lawblob said:
Jesus, that really puts it in context. PS3 selling worse than original XBOX, and barely better than Gamecube. Unreal.

When in actuality in terms of WW sales this statement would be false.

AniHawk

Rlan said:
EDIT: Wait a fucking second. Klonoa came out on the 5th of May. How the HELL did it even sell anything beforehand?

Gamestop got early copies that NPD tracked for one day of sales. That's why Excitebots's numbers are so incredibly low too. There were only a couple days of sales. I think for a full month, Excitebots will do something around 30k-40k and Klonoa should do more like 20k.

Depending on shipments, of course.

Rlan

AniHawk said:
Gamestop got early copies that NPD tracked for one day of sales. That's why Excitebots's numbers are so incredibly low too. There were only a couple days of sales. I think for a full month, Excitebots will do something around 30k-40k and Klonoa should do more like 20k.

Depending on shipments, of course.

Excitebots came out on the 20th, so it still had a good 10 days of sales., at the very least.

lowrider007 said:
When in actuality in terms of WW sales this statement would be false.
Why do people keep doing this in NPD threads?

We have Media Create threads for Japan, NPD threads for the US and from time to time we get either Nintendo or Chart Track threads related to European numbers.

If none of those three are good enough, you can also talk about the shipped numbers reported in the financial results threads.

markatisu

Rlan said:
Excitebots came out on the 20th, so it still had a good 10 days of sales., at the very least.

To do what, Excite Trucks pretty much bombed in the grand scheme of things and it was a launch title

lowrider007 said:
And also PS3 127k @ $399 (cheapest sku) vs 360 175k @ $199 (cheapest sku), and people think the PS3 is in trouble.
I can spin this the other way and still remain pro-Sony.

The PS3 is a much better value that the 360 . . . it has built-in wireless, it has a built in hard drive, it has a motion sensitive controller, it can play Blu-Ray movies, and its internet service is FREE! All that for a mere $200 more . . . so why can't the PS3 outsell the 360??!?

I wish Nintendo actually promoted their games. While stuff like Mario Kart and Pokemon can essentially sell themselves, Excitebots and Rhythm Heaven could've easily made 100k+ this month had they been sufficiently hyped and marketed. They need that, or they will go completely unnoticed.

Either Nintendo doesn't get this or doesn't care. I'm thinking they don't care. They're content with having their big name Wii ____ and Mario software carrying their systems and letting everything else just fall to the wayside, where only the hardcore even notice and pick it up should they be interesting.

DSi's launch is stunning. Besides that, this is one of the lowest months of this generation. If I was Sony I would be thankful for PS2, but pretty much baffled. It's as if they're going backwards.

TheExodu5

Banned
Terrible month for everything but the DS and PS2.

Do you guys think the high PS2 sales are finally a sign of the recession having an effect?

Top Bottom