• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

jeremy1456

TheExodu5 said:
Terrible month for everything but the DS and PS2.

Do you guys think the high PS2 sales are finally a sign of the recession having an effect?

I think it's more a sign of the price drop having an effect.

Though I do expect PS2 to be Sony's highest performer again next month.

eatyobeans said:
I wish Nintendo actually promoted their games. While stuff like Mario Kart and Pokemon can essentially sell themselves, Excitebots and Rhythm Heaven could've easily made 100k+ this month had they been sufficiently hyped and marketed. They need that, or they will go completely unnoticed.

uhh...

So.. when do we get to start comparing KZ2 and Mad World sales. :lol :lol :lol

Please don't ban.. I'm really not usually this evil

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
itxaka said:
NPD NPD NPD

Did he refer to WW sales in his post?

It's obvious what he was trying to imply, loads of people do it every NPD day, they start coming out with "PS3 is teh doomed!!1!!1" type posts based on NA figures alone, do you actually believe that what these people really mean is "PS3 is teh doomed in NA only !111!1!" lol.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RBH said:
Good lord.

fwiw klonoa is early sales from gamestops that got the game early. not that the game is going to do well

FirstInHell said:
I think the experts here said there was nothing to worry about. Legs man....Legs.

8665a653656b52435a44cebdbbfafdb0.gif

how well do you think it did this month? because you're going to look pretty dumb if it did, like, 80k or something.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
TheExodu5 said:
Terrible month for everything but the DS and PS2.

Do you guys think the high PS2 sales are finally a sign of the recession having an effect?
People's old PS2s breaking + no BC PS3 = PS2 continuing to sell.

FtsH said:
If MS do not force start another next-gen in 2 years to completely knock SONY out, they lose the best chance....

Microsoft is in the catbird seat right now. It would be idiotic to start another generation right away.

People need to get over this dumbass idea that you win by knocking your competitors out instead of by making more money yourself.

brain_stew said:
I honestly fail to see the logic on them losing even more on the PS3 project at this point. They've already got something ridiculous like $4 or $5 billion to recoup. Why cut the price when it is plainly obvious that all it will achieve is to inflate that figure even more?

If it boosts sales enough, it'll make them more money on software.

:( at GTA:CW and Rhythm Heaven. Chinatown Wars deserves better and not because of all the "mature games can't sell on DS" crap, but because it's one of the best games released this year.

And I honestly didn't realize ExciteBots was already out until I read so in this thread. Did that get any advertising at all?

lowrider007 said:
It's obvious what he was trying to imply, loads of people do it every NPD day, they start coming out with "PS3 is teh doomed!!1!!1" type posts based on NA figures alone, do you actually believe that these people really mean is "PS3 is teh doomed in NA only !111!1!" lol.
So what's your argument here? That EU and Japan PS3 sales mean everything's kosher?

Balb

It's not like the PS3 is doing THAT great in Japan either. Sure it's currently beating the Wii in sales (barely), but at the end of the day neither console is performing well in Japan. As for European sales, I don't really know how the PS3 is performing, so until I see numbers I can't make a judgment.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
DeaconKnowledge said:
So what's your argument here? That EU and Japan PS3 sales mean everything's kosher?

No not kosher, but certainly not doomed or as bad as alot of people seem to be making out.

Barrett2

eatyobeans said:
I wish Nintendo actually promoted their games. While stuff like Mario Kart and Pokemon can essentially sell themselves, Excitebots and Rhythm Heaven could've easily made 100k+ this month had they been sufficiently hyped and marketed. They need that, or they will go completely unnoticed.

Premiere gaming forum commentary

FrankT

Balb said:
It's not like the PS3 is doing THAT great in Japan either. Sure it's currently beating the Wii in sales (barely), but at the end of the day neither console is performing well in Japan. As for European sales, I don't really know how the PS3 is performing, so until I see numbers I can't make a judgment.

We've seen the first three months of 09 in Europe thanks to Nintendo earnings report and it is third there as well. As for Japan it had a nice bump for a month or two, but this week it is back down below the Wii with relativaly no real SW movers for quite some time.

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Considering the price difference I'd say about about 75% more tbh.

What was the average monthly sales of the PS2 after being on the market for the same period of time?

75% ? That would put the 360 at or above PS2 level sales. So you are telling me the 360 is not doing good unless it is selling like the PS2 did in its prime? Good lord people. It was up 40% over the PS3 this month and 50% last month but somehow not doing good because it is not the PS2. Wow.

JoJo13

Banned
Karma said:
75% ? That would put the 360 at or above PS2 level sales. So you are telling me the 360 is not doing good unless it is selling like the PS2 did in its prime? Good lord people. It was up 40% over the PS3 this month and 50% last month but somehow not doing good because it is not the PS2. Wow.

wasn't the 360 outselling the ps3 2:1 not too long ago, though? started back in October and then continued through the holiday season and shortly thereafter, and has ever since lost that same momentum. Now it's down to 40% more?

Balb said:
Not last week.
Media Create thread said:
Wii 24,397
PS3 18,483

AniHawk

w3stfa11 said:
I thought Excitebots had like 12 days of tracking? It was released the 20th of April.

Oh, you're right. I read it as the 30th for some reason.

So yeah, Excitebots is a bomb.

Fuzzy

AniHawk said:
Oh, you're right. I read it as the 30th for some reason.

So yeah, Excitebots is a bomb.
Just like Excite Truck. People need to stop being surprised.

Chumly

Second said:
Klonoooooa :(

How well did the Ps2 version sell?
Its already been said but Klonoa wasnt even released in April. May 5th was the release date. The 2k sales are from a couple (All?) gamestops that got the game a week early and it was tracked for a day or two of sales.

Fuzzy said:
Just like Excite Truck. People need to stop being surprised.
I should really go buy excite bots. I was assuming that I could pick it up at my leisure, and it would pretty much always be available. I'm not so sure now.

lowrider007 said:
It's obvious what he was trying to imply, loads of people do it every NPD day, they start coming out with "PS3 is teh doomed!!1!!1" type posts based on NA figures alone, do you actually believe that what these people really mean is "PS3 is teh doomed in NA only !111!1!" lol.

Heh, well what do you call a product that both needs a price cut and can't afford one?

Anyway the PS3 isn't doomed. Shared multiplats with the 360 will keep it afloat.

lowlylowlycook said:
Heh, well what do you call a product that both needs a price cut and can't afford one?

Anyway the PS3 isn't doomed. Shared multiplats with the 360 will keep it afloat.
Unless Stringer decides to deep six it.

Talon

lowrider007 said:
No not kosher, but certainly not doomed or as bad as alot of people seem to be making out.
And so what? I don't see the point in being overly defensive (or vice versa) of a platform that is not doing well.

I understand part of it comes from the old extreme position must result in an opposite and equally extreme reaction rule, but it gets rather old to read console wars. Anyhow, I hope that the PS3 gets a price drop because it's in my interest as a gamer (shock!) for all three platforms to do well.

Sony fully realizes that they screwed up with multiple aspects of the PS3 (as did Microsoft to some extent, to be fair, but they succeeded with quality software up front) and hopefully they'll learn by next gen.

Here's to quality titles for ALL platforms.

AniHawk

The original Door to Phantomile didn't even sell 30k. Did a little over 28k. No wonder it's such a bitch to find.

I think Lunatea's Veil did a little over 100k.

EDIT: Excitebots actually sold close to 13k. Not that it makes much a difference.

And Madworld had a shitty second month.

legend166

I don't think Excite Truck bombed THAT bad.

I mean, under 9k is a bomb on the level of Rock Revolution.

It doesn't make sense though, people didn't seem to have any trouble finding online games for ExciteBots. I can't imagine that would be the case with only 9k sales.

Fuzzy

bmf said:
I should really go buy excite bots. I was assuming that I could pick it up at my leisure, and it would pretty much always be available. I'm not so sure now.
The only reason I think it'll stick around for a bit is the Wheel bundle.

Top Bottom