• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

Zhuk

Banned
This talk about WW sales has me interested, how is the PS3 selling in EMEA these days?? Microsoft have been crowing about sales successes there for a while, so it would be important to make the distinction about how the 360/PS3 are doing in those territories before one can make a judgement about how the PS3 is really doing in a global recessionary environment.

I know the Sony crowd considers Europe 'Sonyland' but is it really so in 2009?

-PXG-

GH: Aerosmith was only $10 at GameStop. If you got the 360 version, you got a FREE guitar too. Excluding the DS platform, sales were low because it's freakin' April. Spring and summer have always have lower sales. The AAA games don't come out 'til the Fall. There's really no reason to pick up a $300+ console in the middle of the year.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I thought Excitebots was a pretty good game? Well reviewed, well received? Published by Nintendo? How is it possible it didn't chart?

DAMN @ everything!

Consoles fall like a bag of rocks.

PS2 out selling the PS3.

Wii still selling more than both the console comp put together.

DS blazing like a STAR!

Nintendo all over the top 10.

Damn . . .

(Goes back to playing Pokemon PT)

AniHawk

jetjevons said:
I thought Excitebots was a pretty good game? Well reviewed, well received? Published by Nintendo? How is it possible it didn't chart?

Politics, y'know. It's all politics.

Lousy Democrats.

AniHawk

Rhythm Heaven's numbers are kinda funny (to me). And it looks like GTACTW might actually have legs unlike a certain black and white Sega game that I got a free shirt from (
the new Sonic
).

Aaron Strife said:
It's under nine thousand :(

Not really.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Ouch @ ExciteBots. I was really hoping the Wii Wheel pack in was gonna push it.

With those numbers, there's probably more pirates playing it than people who actually bought it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
legend166 said:
I don't think Excite Truck bombed THAT bad.

I mean, under 9k is a bomb on the level of Rock Revolution.

It doesn't make sense though, people didn't seem to have any trouble finding online games for ExciteBots. I can't imagine that would be the case with only 9k sales.
Pirates.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
AniHawk said:
Rhythm Heaven's numbers are kinda funny (to me). And it looks like GTACTW might actually have legs unlike a certain black and white Sega game that I got a free shirt from (
the new Sonic
).

Not really.

Thank goodness! What are the real numbers?

legend166

What's really sad is that I was hoping the Wii would be a bastion of hope for mid-budget games, against the HD twins which more and more really require big budgets to sell well.

But it seems not to be happening :(

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Imagine the Super Nintendo outselling the N64 three years into the generation. Wouldn't we be asking for a hardware revision instead of a price cut?

jett

D-Member
USD said:
The numbers are low, but they're just following the usual monthly and seasonal trends for hardware sales, with April generally being the low point of the year. This month seems to be the first indication of the Wii conforming to those trends.

Here's a chart with monthly console hardware sales numbers from November 2001 (EDIT: updated with the handheld numbers I have). Credit to chairmansteve from PVC for most of the numbers.

http://i40.tinypic.com/20h9ezo.png

Weird PS2 numbers for the 2004 holiday season...did the xbox really outsold it then? wat happen

lowrider007 said:
It's obvious what he was trying to imply, loads of people do it every NPD day, they start coming out with "PS3 is teh doomed!!1!!1" type posts based on NA figures alone, do you actually believe that what these people really mean is "PS3 is teh doomed in NA only !111!1!" lol.

so it goes from abysmal to mediocre if we include WW numbers?

yay?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wii
TimescapeMain_-_Picard_Narcosis.jpg

DS
Kirk_awesome.jpg

Xbox 360
Benjamin_Sisko_toasts_the_good_guys.jpg

Playstation 3
Janeway_Heartbroke.jpg

Playstation 2
Bujold-Janeway.jpg

PSP
Archer_with_Nazis.jpg

Interesting month huh... April is always low so we shall see for may but it is shaping up to be a slow summer.

No doubt Sony will drop the price at some point this year but I can easily see MS dropping to $179 or if they really want to make a point $150... I really can see a $99 price point for the 360 before the holiday 2010 season...

gonna be a crazy year for sure.

Saint Gregory said:
:( at GTA:CW and Rhythm Heaven.

Rhythm Heaven will do fine. Layton has picked up the pace since the Lisa Kudrow commercials started and I feel quite certain Rhythm Heaven will continue to sell for quite a few months without dropping off.

AniHawk

Loudninja said:
So whats this?

Seeing as it's an NPD sales results for April 2009 thread, these are the rankings of the cumulative totals of last month's media-create numbers, averaged in with IGN and Famitsu's reviews.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TheChaos said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Rhythm games only sell if there are popular songs people recognize on them.

I know this is a North American thread, but that doesn't explain how the same game became such a sensation in Japan, which is where the disappointment at the numbers comes from.

I'm guessing Rhythm Heaven is in the 11-20 range, so maybe it's just having a slower start than its Japanese debut. No mention of it in the Nintendo response makes me worried, however.

itxaka

Defeatist
Zhuk said:
This talk about WW sales has me interested, how is the PS3 selling in EMEA these days?? Microsoft have been crowing about sales successes there for a while, so it would be important to make the distinction about how the 360/PS3 are doing in those territories before one can make a judgement about how the PS3 is really doing in a global recessionary environment.

As far as I know, last time numbers were released xbox was 1 million over the ps3. Then Sony released an statement saying that they were 1 million over the xbox including other smaller regions.

So....no idea at all.

Loudninja

AniHawk said:
Seeing as it's an NPD sales results for April 2009 thread, these are the rankings of the cumulative totals of last month's media-create numbers, averaged in with IGN and Famitsu's reviews.

Oh ok thanks.

PantherLotus said:
Imagine the Super Nintendo outselling the N64 three years into the generation. Wouldn't we be asking for a hardware revision instead of a price cut?

It's all part of the 10 year plan. Once programmers figure out how to use the PS3 things will turn around.

scitek

So ExciteBots sold over 8,000 without the wheel bundled? I'm not really surprised since I had to hit up three stores just to find it without the wheel on launch day.

TheChaos

Regulus Tera said:
I know this is a North American thread, but that doesn't explain how the same game became such a sensation in Japan, which is where the disappointment at the numbers comes from.

I'm guessing Rhythm Heaven is in the 11-20 range, so maybe it's just having a slower start than its Japanese debut. No mention of it in the Nintendo response makes me worried, however.

I think it's just a difference and American and Japanese tastes. Can you name me a top selling game in North America with only in-house music. The original PaRappa? I dunno how much that sold though.

AniHawk

TheChaos said:
I think it's just a difference and American and Japanese tastes. Can you name me a top selling game in North America with only in-house music. The original PaRappa? I dunno how much that sold though.

PaRappa did a little over 200k and Um Jammer Lammy did less than half that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Regulus Tera said:

Well, technically Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter don't do very well in North America and Halo and Call of Duty don't do very well in Japan so there's actually a lot of precedence for this kind of sales disparity.

I imagine the art style is one of the largest things holding it back. After that, probably the music selection, since people in North America seem to prefer licensed songs in their music games.

MarkusRJR

scitek said:
So ExciteBots sold over 8,000 without the wheel bundled? I'm not really surprised since I had to hit up three stores just to find it without the wheel on launch day.
Excitebots probably did terrible due to the fact it has a shovelware name, shovelware boxart, and zero advertising. Also, I think that Nintendo's new plan of announcing things at the last minute is a terrible idea (sales wise). While this plan might work with bigger Nintendo franchises, their B games need more time for the average Wii owner to learn about. I messaged all of my friends on my Wii message board if anyone wanted to exchange friend codes for Excitebots and I was sent stuff like this back:

"Whats an excite bot? Is it like a robot dog?" <--- I think she thought it was a virtual pet game where you took care of robot animals. :lol

Literally none of my friends had it, and only 2 had heard of it (and they thought it looked like a "bargain bin game").

:(

Emotions

Awesome DS sales very deserving.
Alright Wii sales.
PSP, PS3 dreadful (weren't this year the Sony platform's year? specially PSP's?)
X360 sales not so good either specially with good quality titles recently released .
Rythm Heaven :( ....
Excibetos hopefully it sold more with the wheel bundle really good game.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Zhuk said:

Actually, the numbers released in Nintendo's Financial report show the 360 has outsold the PS3 every week except one for the first 17 weeks in Europe. Overall, they show the 360 with a lead of 1M in Europe and apparently growing now since the beginning of 09.

Top Bottom