• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

Olivier

blowii.gif

Sharp

dammitmattt said:
Most hardcore games sell a ton the first week and then start dying off after that. I don't see a huge sales bump for Metroid Prime 3 in the future.

Remember when Mario Party 8 sold about twice this much in the same amount of time?
Eh, I bought it after the NPD period ended, for what it's worth. I think Metroid Prime 3 is going to do quite well (unlike Madden Wii). Madden 360 and PS2 will probably still chart next month.

HolyStar

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
PS3 is widely expected to drop to $399 this year.

I doubt that Sony would drop the price by $100 especially since it doesn't have any system sellers this year. But then again because of Halo 3 Sony needs to do something drastic to soften the blow or the PS3 might never rise above above 200k units in America. Also Microsoft could drop the console price to $300 next year when PS3 gets its system movers.

Wollan

They won't drop the US PS3 price before spring.
The only region that might see a further PS3 price drop this year is Japan but I'm not totally sure if I would bet on that. In spring though I expect it to go down across the line.

Grecco

399 for PS3 in 07? Can Sony afford that? Were talking about a 200 dollar price cut less than a year since its launch. Unprecedented. I dont see it likely.

FF_VIII said:
Uncharted and Jak can't come soon enough.

The problem is that the very same thing has been said for the last few months, VF5, Heavenly Sword, Lair, Warhawk...

Now it's Uncharted, Jak and GT : Prologue. If these three don't sell well, then Sony will be in some serious bother.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Tabris said:
The tide is turning, it starts in Japan today and will follow up in NA, so enjoy your "victory" for now.

The fuck are you talking about?

traveler said:
Sales bring change. The 360 has the best lineup right now, but the future is still a toss-up.
:lol if i'm not wrong wii is probably the best selling console of all time so far and its 3rd party games STILL arent doing anything. :lol at the people who think madden wii is going to have legs. wtf? its a combination of price and wii sports being something new. Fn wii play being on the charts proves that and wii fit will be next. wii is in its own category as far as i'm concerned. again when we see 3rd party wii games lighting up the charts then we can declare wii the winner of the war. I think another 360 price drop will solidify 360s position as the leader.

Tiktaalik

Amused_To_Death said:
How much did Bioshock CE sell?

I'm pretty sure all they produced, however that much was. It's a good question. How limited was the limited edition? Are we talking about a bump of 50k? 90k?

FrankT

dammitmattt said:
I completely forgot about that. Did the numbers include the CE???

I doubt it considering it was a seperate SKU and NPD has tracked CEs before. LP CE was in the top ten for January while the regular SKU was number 1 IIRC.

Tabris said:
The tide is turning, it starts in Japan today and will follow up in NA, so enjoy your "victory" for now.
Y-you mean PS3's going to see a sales increase in Japan for the week? HOLY AWESOME.

I look forward to that!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Tabris said:

Welcome, stay a while.

traveler

Not Wario
MobiusPigeon said:
:lol if i'm not wrong wii is probably the best selling console of all time so far and its 3rd party games STILL arent doing anything. :lol at the people who think madden wii is going to have legs. wtf? its a combination of price and wii sports being something new. Fn wii play being on the charts proves that and wii fit will be next. wii is in its own category as far as i'm concerned. again when we see 3rd party wii games lighting up the charts then we can declare wii the winner of the war. I think another 360 price drop will solidify 360s position as the leader.

3rd parties were caught with their pants down. Where they decide to put their true support for this gen won't really be seen till next year.

Arguing about Wii's Madden sales versus 360 is really dumb. It's like buying a lottery ticket, winning the jackpot, and then complaining you didn't get the dollar back on your ticket in addition to the jackpot. Who cares if it sold worse? It still sold well for a Wii game, probably cost EA a lot less, and they'll keep making them irregardless. There are no consequences of this, except nitpicking. Madden's sold worse on every Nintendo system, ever, I think. Maybe the SNES version of Madden beat the Genesis version, but I doubt this still.

arne

mildewproduction said:
This is what makes me laugh. What people don't get is that Xbox 360 is eating up all of the people willing to spend $300-$400 on a next gen console. Haven't you all been seeing the 360's number slowly dwindle? It's because the market for those willing to drop $300-$400 on a next gen console isn't unlimited.

When Sony finally drops to $400, Microsoft will own most of those towing the line and drop down to < $300. Who will buy the PS3 at $400? Those that are extremely Playstation brand loyal who won't pay over $400. And I'll tell you the Playstation brand loyal isn't as big as those brand loyal to certain games that made the PS2 a hit.

So when GTAIV hits are the GTA lovers going to buy the <$300 XBOX 360 or the PS3?

CLIFFNOTES: When PS3 finally drops to $400, it will be too late and everyone will be saying if only they could get a $300 verstion.

On the GTAIV note, there's this interesting article I read earlier about how GTAIV would impact short term PS3 sales. I'm sure the lack of it isn't helping Sony going into October, but I think the one thing he doesn't touch upon which you do is that no matter what, there is a limited market for folks willing to pay a premium for their console. Much less pay a premium for two.

http://www.dailygame.net/news/archives/006591.php

EDIT: i can't believe i responded to your seriously. how was hibernation?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
You know what is the biggest irony, if Nintendo sold the console at $300 and was far more powerful than it is right now it would probably be selling even better than it is at the moment. I bet they are kicking themselves thinking that one of the biggest features they touted (cheap and low cost development) is biting them in the ass because developers translated that to Cheap, low cost development ports from PS2.

Seriously, EA didn't even try this year with the Wii version of madden. It wouldn't even sell because with sports games, graphics are the king.

Yeah, so sue me, I am still bitter about the Wii graphics, even if it will likely end up being the first of the current gen consoles I will buy.

Frillen

Tabris said:

Could you please give what you are smoking? It has to be fuckin AMAZING!

FrankT

Grecco said:
399 for PS3 in 07? Can Sony afford that? Were talking about a 200 dollar price cut less than a year since its launch. Unprecedented. I dont see it likely.

Well, maybe, some folks, including Pachter have guessed that this IPO Sony is selling off in October in Japan (their Insurance Group) is going to be used to raise about 3 billion in cash and that will go toward subsidizing another price cut this year.

MassiveAttack said:
PS3 is widely expected to drop to $399 this year.
This I find incredibly hard to believe. They still haven't cleared out their uber-expensive launch units and just made a big fuss about the $499 price move just over a month ago. I think they should do it if they value their third party publishers' perspectives on the platform, though.

And NPD keeps on delivering, no platform breakdowns yet, but some results I'm sure everyone will be interested in.

PS3 Lair = 46.5K
Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K

IMO, quite respectable and much better than I expected for LAIR (released early and most folks didn't know it, 2-3 days of sales) and Warhawk about what I expected, given it's online only and the majority of sales came from PSN. ( 4 days of sales)

Sharp

I forgot how awesome MC discussions become when Tabris gets involved.

Uh, Drinky, MP3 proves it's also for Nintendo acolytes.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hcoregamer00 said:
You know what is the biggest irony, if Nintendo sold the console at $300 and was far more powerful than it is right now it would probably be selling even better than it is at the moment. I bet they are kicking themselves thinking that one of the biggest features they touted (cheap and low cost development) is biting them in the ass because developers translated that to Cheap, low cost development ports from PS2.

Seriously, EA didn't even try this year with the Wii version of madden. It wouldn't even sell because with sports games, graphics are the king.

Yeah, so sue me, I am still bitter about the Wii graphics, even if it will likely end up being the first of the current gen consoles I will buy.

I've been saying this for months. QFT and all that.

FrankT

sonycowboy said:
And NPD keeps on delivering, no platform breakdowns yet, but some results I'm sure everyone will be interested in.

PS3 Lair = 46.5K
Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K

IMO, quite respectable and much better than I expected for LAIR (released early and most folks didn't know it, 2-3 days of sales) and Warhawk about what I expected, given it's online only and the majority of sales came from PSN. ( 4 days of sales)

Any word on Bioshock CE.

Top Bottom