• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

Indeed

Jtyettis said:
Well, maybe, some folks, including Pachter have guessed that this IPO Sony is selling off in October in Japan (their Insurance Group) is going to be used to raise about 3 billion in cash and that will go toward subsidizing another price cut this year.

Wow pretty harsh.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
MobiusPigeon said:
:lol if i'm not wrong wii is probably the best selling console of all time so far and its 3rd party games STILL arent doing anything. :lol at the people who think madden wii is going to have legs. wtf? its a combination of price and wii sports being something new. Fn wii play being on the charts proves that and wii fit will be next. wii is in its own category as far as i'm concerned. again when we see 3rd party wii games lighting up the charts then we can declare wii the winner of the war. I think another 360 price drop will solidify 360s position as the leader.

I can't believe people still believe this.

And no, third p[arties sitll won't matter to the Wii's success. It's actually sad that you actually had to use the 360+PS3 combined chart to prove your point, when you align thier launch, the Wii is still beating both of them handilly.

How's it sad? My point was whether it's more attractive to put a main franchise game on the Wii, 360+PS3, or all three. And right now it looks like PS360 wins.

titiklabingapat said:
Incentive is that it will sell better than a rush job.
Granted Madden isn't a splendid barometer of this, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If a Wii version's main audience is those with only the Wii then there's very little reason not to rush it.

Hcoregamer00 said:
You know what is the biggest irony, if Nintendo sold the console at $300 and was far more powerful than it is right now it would probably be selling even better than it is at the moment. I bet they are kicking themselves thinking that one of the biggest features they touted (cheap and low cost development) is biting them in the ass because developers translated that to Cheap, low cost development ports from PS2.

Seriously, EA didn't even try this year with the Wii version of madden. It wouldn't even sell because with sports games, graphics are the king.

Yeah, so sue me, I am still bitter about the Wii graphics, even if it will likely end up being the first of the current gen consoles I will buy.
Buy MP:3 and tell me that the Wii's prowess sucks ass :p

traveler said:
3rd parties were caught with their pants down. Where they decide to put their true support for this gen won't really be seen till next year.
if EA cant do well on wii i dont see anyone else doing well. honestly its not a fault of the developers either. the wii is unique in the way that yeah it has this awesome new control scheme but the hardware holds it back when compared to the other 2. you cant port from ps360 and add waggle and last gen is done with. whats left for them to do if at this point games arent selling? its a risk and all that will lead to is junk. not saying there wont be those who take risks but meh. Nintendo will always do well because it's their baby.

Evlar

Banned
sonycowboy said:
And NPD keeps on delivering, no platform breakdowns yet, but some results I'm sure everyone will be interested in.

PS3 Lair = 46.5K
Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K

IMO, quite respectable and much better than I expected for LAIR (released early and most folks didn't know it, 2-3 days of sales) and Warhawk about what I expected, given it's online only and the majority of sales came from PSN. ( 4 days of sales)
Yeah, Warhawk performed well. Good for them.

Hahahaha!

Wow... Madden Wii completely bombed.

Wii still stealing away all the gamers, the 360 seeing a nice (very nice) boost, and the PS3 dropping.

America will be a Wii60 market no doubt. The masses will still get their Maddens, GTA's and Devil May Cry's, they just won't buy them on the market leading console it seems. I like this generation, full of piss and vinegar, sans the vinegar.

Crisis

Banned
sonycowboy said:
And NPD keeps on delivering, no platform breakdowns yet, but some results I'm sure everyone will be interested in.

PS3 Lair = 46.5K
Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K

IMO, quite respectable and much better than I expected for LAIR (released early and most folks didn't know it, 2-3 days of sales) and Warhawk about what I expected, given it's online only and the majority of sales came from PSN. ( 4 days of sales)

So that 58.6K figure comes from the boxed copy of the game in stores?

Olivier said:
blowii.gif

:lol :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok to those who were saying I was wrong about Japanese games selling PS3s here, here is the deal:

Ratchet, Uncharted, and Killzone won't do shit to bring the PS3 ahead of the 360, they won't move a lot of systems to begin with, that's for sure.

There are currently a LOT of PS2-only owners that have yet to buy a PS3 (like me). Why? Because the games they like have been on PS2 and PSP only, and the ones to come on PS3 are too far from release yet.

To name a few:

Ace Combat
Resident Evil
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy
Metal Gear Solid
Grand Turismo
A bunch of random RPGs like Nippon Ichi's, etc.
Some Dynasty Warrior games.
Shadow of the Colossus-like game
And more.

Basically, the PS3 doesn't feel like a successor to the PS2 when you look at its current lineup or its soon-to-be-released games, so a strong part of its hardcore userbase hasn't made the jump to PS3, and as the time passes the 360 is starting to look more and more like the PS2's successor lineup-wise (with many of the above to be released on it, add to this Dead Rising and Lost Planet, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, etc.).

So yes, if the PS3 had a much more Japan-oriented lineup with former PS2 big-names being released for it now, exclusively in at least a few cases, it would have made a huge difference. The camp would have remained divided as they were last gen, with the MS brand being mostly Western/PC games and the PS brand with mostly Japanese games (then add sports games to both consoles).

Sony made a huge mistake by not trying to keep at least the Japanese exclusives for its console.

I can't imagine how awful it will do this holiday compared to the 360/Wii, they have NOTHING for it.

its a combination of price and wii sports being something new. Fn wii play being on the charts proves that and wii fit will be next. wii is in its own category as far as i'm concerned. again when we see 3rd party wii games lighting up the charts then we can declare wii the winner of the war.

Yup. QFT.

sonycowboy said:

PS3 Lair = 46.5K
Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K

Not bad at all, but I think the negativity surrounding Lair has all but condemned it.

ksamedi

Drinky Crow said:
wii for social pseudo-gaming ONLY confirmed. gaf mods, please move all future discussion of wii product to the ot forum.

Metroid did quite well, its not like there are many options right now.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
sonycowboy said:

PS3 Lair = 46.5K
Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K

Hopefully PSN sales were insane for WOWhawk

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sonycowboy- interested in Tiger Woods breakdown and RE4 sales if available!

GDGF

Soothsayer
typo said:
What the hell is selling the Wii at this point?

The Wii sells itself, at this point. It's pretty much untouchable. Anything Nintendo does at this point release wise doesn't really matter. Hell, there is nothing Microsoft or Sony could do to bring sales down of the Wii either. The Wii is in a whole different league.

So now Drinky's resorted to dusting off his old material from the early days of DS dominance. Meh, it was a good joke then, I guess it's still good now.

sonycowboy said:

PS3 Lair = 46.5K
Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K

Is there any link to the Majority on PSN thing? I would have expected that most of the people in the know enough to blow $40 on a PSN game would know the headset bundle is a much better deal.

So people still aren't buying Wii games. I guess third party developers made the right choice when they decided to stay the hell away. At least for now.

sonycowboy said:

PS3 Lair = 46.5K
Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K

What are Blue Dragon's numbers?

MobiusPigeon said:
if EA cant do well on wii i dont see anyone else doing well. honestly its not a fault of the developers either. the wii is unique in the way that yeah it has this awesome new controll scheme but the hardware holds it back when compared to the other 2. you cant port from ps360 and add waggle and last gen is done with. whats left for them to do if at this point games arent selling? its a risk and all that will lead to is junk. not saying there wont be those who take risks but meh. Nintendo will always do well because it's their baby.
Activision can.

And so has Capcom, SE and Ubisoft.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Zerodoppler said:
So people still aren't buying Wii games. I guess third party developers made the right choice when they decided to stay the hell away. At least for now.

WTF are you talking about? Yes, Madden did poorly..but to say that no one is buying Wii games?!?

200K ninthings bought metroid prime 3? that's a pretty poor turnout for a 'hardcore' game in a well-known fan franchise in its first appearance on a new platform, even among the faithful.

Sharp

Lair did pretty okay, I suppose, though I can't see its sales picking up too much given the absolutely mindblowingly awful word of mouth. Warhawk = very nice considering most sales were on PSN.

I think Tiger Woods Wii will actually have legs, based on how the UK version is selling, but the UK has kind of weird tastes so who knows.

besada

Banned
How does 50k in sales look good for Lair, one of those games that was going to turn the tide? It's underselling launch titles, yes? For Warhawk, it's impossible to say until Sony mentions some numbers about the PSN. I'd think it's at least half and half, so maybe 100-130K for Warhawk, which IS respectable.

Raw64life

Raw64life said:
Some approximate Nintendo LTDs...

Pokemon D/P - 3,250,000
Wii Play - 1,950,000
Mario Party 8 - 1,155,000
Super Mario Strikers - 250,000

...Mario Party 8 joins the million seller club in the US.

This makes MP8 the best selling MP in the US since Mario Party 2. It's already outsold every Gamecube Mario Party.

And yes I quoted myself.

Top Bottom