• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Branduil said:
I'm not sure why NOA has done such a poor job marketing Brain Age. You'd think the success of Wii Sports, Nintendogs, and other games would clue them in.

they don't have a good emotional benefit attached to the game

its just "what is your brain age? find out with brain age 2!" which is more or less a product attribute which isn't always as effective

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Xisiqomelir said:
I love you, NPD day.

Space reserved for chartage

Picture21.png

So, why do people keep saying the PS3 is doing better than the 360 was at this time of it's launch?

HolyStar

Banned
I'm curious to see what the sales will be like in September. The Xbox360 is out selling the PS3 2:1 and after a $100 price drop.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Btw, I guess if it's any consolation, Madden Wii probably sold more than Ninja Gaiden Sigma, at least.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The funny thing is, I've only seen one Wii in the retail wild, so I'm thinking that supply is tight. Man, think about the sales when Nintendo fixes the supply problem...

mildewproduction

VALIS said:
Which seems odd since America adored the PS1 and PS2.

But it's not odd because the truth is what people have been saying for two years now: PRICE IS KING.

Sony really needs a $400 model for the holidays just so third parties don't start bailing in '08 and beyond.

This is what makes me laugh. What people don't get is that Xbox 360 is eating up all of the people willing to spend $300-$400 on a next gen console. Haven't you all been seeing the 360's number slowly dwindle? It's because the market for those willing to drop $300-$400 on a next gen console isn't unlimited.

When Sony finally drops to $400, Microsoft will own most of those towing the line and drop down to < $300. Who will buy the PS3 at $400? Those that are extremely Playstation brand loyal who won't pay over $400. And I'll tell you the Playstation brand loyal isn't as big as those brand loyal to certain games that made the PS2 a hit.

So when GTAIV hits are the GTA lovers going to buy the <$300 XBOX 360 or the PS3?

CLIFFNOTES: When PS3 finally drops to $400, it will be too late and everyone will be saying if only they could get a $300 verstion.

traveler

Not Wario
MobiusPigeon said:
the 360 will be the destination for gamers who want a well rounded pick of choice titles from both 1st and 3rd parties with exclusives thrown in for good measure and also make 3rd party devs happy with $$$. i mean come on the original xbox version of madden outsold the wii version and boogie is nowhere. :lol i just dont see the wii changing from the wiisports/nintendo hardcore machine.

Sales bring change. The 360 has the best lineup right now, but the future is still a toss-up.

Haunted

Raw64life said:
Some approximate Nintendo LTDs...

Pokemon D/P - 3,250,000
Wii Play - 1,950,000
Mario Party 8 - 1,155,000
Super Mario Strikers - 250,000

...Mario Party 8 joins the million seller club in the US.
:D

felipeko said:
I have to the end of the year to enjoy ;D
I still think permbans are stupid. What's the point of a ban-bet if you can't rub the wrong prediction into the face of the loser when he comes back? ;)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
traveler said:
Fixed. The Halo surge is next month.

Even if that were to happen, there's no way to measure a surge in HW based on a game during a price cut window.

baseball and rocket race on Forge

Lobster said:
Sad at 4 days of numbers? 4 days and it charted..you should be happy.

Most hardcore games sell a ton the first week and then start dying off after that. I don't see a huge sales bump for Metroid Prime 3 in the future.

Remember when Mario Party 8 sold about twice this much in the same amount of time?

Lobster said:
So just an estimate.

360 MADDEN NFL 08 896.6K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 643.6K
PS3 MADDEN NFL 08 336.2K
XBX MADDEN NFL 08 111.1K
WII MADDEN NFL 08 106.3K
PSP MADDEN NFL 08 040.2K

2134K Units of Madden sold.

PSP did much better than that. Of course, Madden only had 5 days of sales last year vs 19 this month. So, I'm thinking folks are going to be down on those sales.

mildewproduction said:
This is what makes me laugh. What people don't get is that Xbox 360 is eating up all of the people willing to spend $300-$400 on a next gen console. Haven't you all been seeing the 360's number slowly dwindle? It's because the market for those willing to drop $300-$400 on a next gen console isn't unlimited.

When Sony finally drops to $400, Microsoft will own most of those towing the line and drop down to < $300. Who will buy the PS3 at $400? Those that are extremely Playstation brand loyal who won't pay over $400. And I'll tell you the Playstation brand loyal isn't as big as those brand loyal to certain games that made the PS2 a hit.

So when GTAIV hits are the GTA lovers going to buy the <$300 XBOX 360 or the PS3?

CLIFFNOTES: When PS3 finally drops to $400, it will be too late and everyone will be saying if only they could get a $300 verstion.

PS3 is widely expected to drop to $399 this year.

Son of Godzilla said:
Obviously not, but if every multi-platform release sells poorest on the Wii what exactly is the incentive to even make a non-rush job Wii release? I mean, it might turn out decent overall with spin-off games exclusive to the system, but as much as Nintendo is positioning itself to make non-games, the Wii is being limited to them by the huge difference between it's competition.

What I'm saying is, that PS360 vs Wii chart is closer to reality than it is to a joke.
Incentive is that it will sell better than a rush job.

And no, third p[arties sitll won't matter to the Wii's success. It's actually sad that you actually had to use the 360+PS3 combined chart to prove your point, when you align thier launch, the Wii is still beating both of them handilly.

The Wii is scheduled to surpass both of them combined as early as March 2008.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Madden Wii sales are disappointing, no spin. But the reality is EA did a shitty job and provided absolutely no incentive for Wii owners to pick it up.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
mildewproduction said:

where did you get your marketing research from? you have some crosstabs you'd like to share?

traveler

Not Wario
Stinkles said:
Even if that were to happen, there's no way to measure a surge in HW based on a game during a price cut window.

baseball and rocket race on Forge

Giant soccer ball from Metropolis. GET. ON. IT!

MobiusPigeon said:
the 360 will be the destination for gamers who want a well rounded pick of choice titles from both 1st and 3rd parties with exclusives thrown in for good measure and also make 3rd party devs happy with $$$. i mean come on the original xbox version of madden outsold the wii version and boogie is nowhere. :lol i just dont see the wii changing from the wiisports/nintendo hardcore machine.
Are you seriously using Boogie to make your wii third party argument? Pathetic.

Evlar

Banned
sonycowboy said:
PSP did much better than that. Of course, Madden only had 5 days of sales last year vs 19 this month. So, I'm thinking folks are going to be down on those sales.
That's what I suspected. A few restless nights at EA?

FF_VIII

Banned
Thinking about it, I don't think $399 will make much difference. Maybe $350.

Uncharted and Jak can't come soon enough.

Livin_Lovin said:
TWO FUCKIN' WORLDS?!
:lol

You can't swing a dead cat w/o hitting a shooter on the 360 but it does have a shortage of WRPGs. You choices up until now was Oblivion (a good choice) or f**k off. :D

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
sonycowboy said:
NPD Thoughts:

360 - Now this is what a price drop is supposed to do for you, and people were grumbling at the $20, $30, and $50 price drops. Clearly a huge momentum shift for the 360.

Imagine if it would have hit 300K with the impending release of Halo 3. Regardless, still performed exceptionally for what it is: a $350 - $450 (not factoring in the "Core" as it's not sold ANYWHERE that I've seen as of late) high-definition console.

PS3 - Sales fall down to just about in-between pre and post price drop levels. And still no HW pushing SW on the horizon. Can they ride it out until March 2008?

No, I don't believe they can ride it out until March 2008 -- they have excellent software from their high-profile developers that has released/will release soon. Either Uncharted, Ratchet, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, and/or LBP make a splash or Sony is "screwed" for this generation. This holiday season will be the determining element in how things will progress from here. If the aforementioned first-party titles can't drive hardware sales, Sony will need to bundle their console with the second coming of Christ in order for it to sell.

Wii - What can be said. A phenomenon and it's still very hard to get your hands on one 10 months after release.

This bastard shows no signs of slowing down. I doubt the coming months will contradict this pattern in sales

DS - Nintendo has so many golden eggs, they have got to be coming to work with permanent smiles on their face at this point.

ditto (from Wii)

PS2 - SW sales dropped 33%, no more huge SW on the horizon. But, still the $99 drop in their pocket.

PS2's going to start winding down, as evidenced by this month. It will still sell better than the PS3 for some time to come, but give it another year and you'll see it drop off of the NPD like the xbox.

My impressions.

Tiktaalik

Branduil said:
I'm not sure why NOA has done such a poor job marketing Brain Age. You'd think the success of Wii Sports, Nintendogs, and other games would clue them in.

It's not necessarily marketing. After all there was a special DS system with case made for it. I'll agree that I didn't see as many TV or print ads this time around, but lower sales could also be attributed to the fact that Brain Age is sort of a curiosity of a game. A lot of people may have bought the first one because they were curious to see what the fuss was about and just picked it up on a whim because it was so cheap. However after finding that that they didn't care for it, they didn't buy the new one.

Top Bottom