• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
---- said:
Guitar Hero 2 = OMFG WTF?!?

Guitar Hero 2 suddenly looks like the most important game coming out Xbox 360 in the first half of the year.

Yeah, really impressive numbers. GH1 has been selling steadily for more than a year now (seems like it rarely left top 20), most likely through word of mouth. So the hype for GH2 has been building up at the same pace really. This is the impressive result we're seeing. :)

As for the 360 version, we'll see if the userbase is into this kind of game. I think it could go either way really, they've built up a strong fanbase on PS2 and the 360 version is coming out a few months later, outside the holiday rush.
But at least, with the higher price-point on games for 360 (along with the console), it seems to me 360 consumers wouldn't be too hesitant to spend money on a rather expensive game + guitar controller combination (especially if the number of high-selling $60+ games on 360 are any indication).

jj984jj said:
DS is just the DOMINANT system for the holidays and so many people are disappointed...?
GBA did better every December from 2001-2004. In recent months DS had been doing 2-3 times as well as 2005, but this month is just ~50% better than 2005. It's not exactly overwhelming.

nash said:
Eh, unless I missed something didn't Nintendo always say it would be a million by end of the year. Then retracted that statement, which implied supply problems.

But they've managed to achieve it anyway by the look of those figures.

Where were people expecting them to have magically manufactured another million from?
They said 4 million worldwide, but didn't get into how that allocated by region. They did retract a line saying something like "Far more than a million will be available by the end of the year.", but they never set a goal of 1 million for the US by the end of the year.

krowley said:
If i'm not mistaken, i think japan got more wii's than NA during december.. at least that's my memory.
Yeah, depending on the tracking service the Wii sold-through number in Japan through December 31 is 920 or 990K.

thefro said:
wal-mart-logo1.0.gif

Hi, I got at least 100k units of PS3 and Wii that weren't counted.

And Walmart did a ton of 360 bundles too.

J-Rzez

Wow did Sony make a killing as a whole... 1.4m PS2's, nearly 1m PSP's, and the PS3 is just the icing on the cake... I guess you can't expect them to push PS3's as much when their other two machines are selling like no others business... I guess we could expect a jump in PS3 numbers when last gen finally dies off for them ;)

The 360 sold slightly, slightly less than I expected it to...

DS sold more than I expected, and the Wii sold FAR less than I thought it would... obviously supply limited I'd believe...

ksamedi said:
Keep in mind that Nintendo did a WW launch, they probably also shipped to other parts of the world where we dont get sales data from, like south america and other countries. NA, Japan and Europe are not the only places in the world you know.

only MS can use that argument!

j/k

Haunted

mamacint said:
Not to be rude, but why did you buy Madden for every system?
Maybe he just really likes football.

Others in the US seem to do so. I can't believe that shitfest Madden is topping the US 200X list again. *shakes head*

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is this list ordered by how fun the games are? I refuse to believe Hanna Montana is the most fun DS game

And she didn't buy Elite Beat Agents? Your sister sucks :(

pilonv1

thefro said:
wal-mart-logo1.0.gif

:lol :lol It's like stepping back in time. Is it 2002 again? Do you think that Walmart didn't sell any 360s?

hadareud

The Translator
ChrisAllenFiz said:
No, That was why I appealed to a Mod. There is no point going official if you then flout in the first damn thread
I think they know what they're doing without our help.

Also, Bunkum deserves a little respect for all he provided in the last couple of years I think. Asking for a ban for a few games without numbers is not so nice.

thorns

Banned
I can see Gears becoming like Halo , i.e. selling constantly through 2007 with new system owners.. Not hard to imagine that it will pass 3mil sometime, and maybe even more. Congrats to GRAW also.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
bunkum said:
I don't own a DS but my sister does, she bought these for xmas
a list

holy shit? Hannah Montana? Seriously?

GO GO CASTLEVANIA. FUND A GOOD ****ING 3D GAME.

carz
catz
dogz

indeed

bunkum

Wario64 said:
So how did you like MGS:pO? Did you really really, like it, or was it a crappy game?

Use a scale of 1-300 if you need to.

Pretty poor 1'd give it 120 on a scale of 1 - 300

thefro said:
wal-mart-logo1.0.gif

Well, I dont know about PS3 but you cant find a ****ing Wii anywhere! Massive shortage or something going on here. You can find PS3s and you can find 360s but a not a SINGLE Wii at any Walmart, Target, Gamestop, etc. What the hell is going on??? What are you supposed to make of these numbers??

Wollan said:
If another thread by SonyCowboy is correct, Kaz said at CES that the 1 million would be in stores by ~today. I guess they finished producing those 1m before Dec 31st?

how long are you guys going to continue trying to spin the fact that the system isnt selling like anyone thought it would. there were reports of the system on shelves THE WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS and sony fans here kept trying to say people were just making stuff up. now the real numbers are out and you're still trying to save face? :lol its $599. its not flying anywhere anytime soon.

hadareud said:
I think they know what they're doing without our help.

Also, Bunkum deserves a little respect for all he provided in the last couple of years I think. Asking for a ban for a few games without numbers is not so nice.

I didn`t ask for a ban.

Odysseus

Banned
it can't be a npd thread without the wal-mart excuse being trotted out

let me be the first to say (again) that wal-mart is estimated into npd as well

but it will fall on deaf ears (blind eyes?), of course

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think I've gotten pretty much everything I needed to get out of this thread. Hopefully we get last weeks MC numbers tonight as well and we can all bathe in SALES-AGE goodness for another night.

See ya there, but this thread is going nowhere quickly.

So when Nintendo said the Wii sold better than they expected, they were lying through their PR teeth? Or was "better than expected" code for "better than half the 360 sold that month"? What the numbers indicate is that Nintendo couldn't reach their 4 million shipped by the end of 2006 goal, so there's no indication that they will reach 6 mil by March and consumers still won't be able to walk into stores and buy one unless they wait for the fedex truck to show up.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
PantherLotus said:
See ya there, but this thread is going nowhere quickly.

What are you talking about? I'm getting to know bunkum alot better by seeing his purchasing habits

Busty

Banned
Does anyone have firm numbers for the month's PSP software? By all accounts they're miniscule so they shouldn't take long to type. :D

gamergirly said:
Well, I dont know about PS3 but you cant find a ****ing Wii anywhere! Massive shortage or something going on here. You can find PS3s and you can find 360s but a not a SINGLE Wii at any Walmart, Target, Gamestop, etc. What the hell is going on??? What are you supposed to make of these numbers??

Get real, the Walmart I work at has plenty of all three. Its nowhere near like how it used to be and has been for quite some time.

JB1981

soul creator said:

Thank you. PS3, while being $200 more than the 360 but less supply constrained, outsells it in N. America and WW at launch. (in only 2 territories, i believe). Still, the rumblings that its widely available and not flying off the shelves (as 360 later did) is pretty troubling. I remember the 360 being impossible to find til around April of '06. Anyone know how many units MS had on shelves around April of last year?

KTallguy

Banned
I wonder if people are buying PSPs for use as a Media Device?
I really don't get it myself.

And :lol at PS3 numbers. 500-600 dollar machine with only one or two great titles and it moved a decent amount. I wonder how many people bought it as a Blue Ray player?

I wonder what'll happen when more games are released ...

Top Bottom