• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

GhaleonEB

sp0rsk said:
How much did Halo 3 sell in Europe? Surely not 3 million.
The tie ratio for Halo 3 to the installed base is very similar to what it is in the US, from what data we have recieved. In the US, that's 53%.

Last I read, NA 360 sales were about 2/3 of the WW total (put differently, the rest of the world is 1/2 what NA is.) It works out to be ~7.5m. 8.1 doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Everyone at my workplace has COD4................for the PS3. lol I can't get into the series myself but I guess if they had a demo up on XBL I might try once more.
Everyone I know has it for PS3 too. I'm shocked it is not in the top ten. Has to be 11, HAS TO BE.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
sonycowboy said:
Top 10 SW Sales
360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) *1 1.47 million
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY NINTENDO OF AMERICA NOV 2007 EVERYONE (E) 2 1.40 million
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) *3 1.25 million
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 4 1.08 million
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) *5 893.7 K
360 HALO 3 MICROSOFT (CORP) SEP 2007 MATURE (M) *6 742.7 K
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A NINTENDO OF AMERICA AUG 2007 EVERYONE (E) 7 659.5 K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS AUG 2007 EVERYONE (E) 8 655.2 K
360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 9 624.6 K
WII MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA OF AMERICA NOV 2007 EVERYONE (E) 10 613.0 K

An unbundled top 10 would put Mario at number 1 and Wii Play at number 2? Or would Wii Play be 3rd?

BelligerentOC said:
Their numbers arent too far off considering that not everyone reports to NPD. Amazon? Toys R Us? And I dont remember if their numbers included Canada...

They still include them through algorithms and other mathematical formulas. But honestly, I would think TRU would help the Wii numbers more than the PS3 numbers. Maybe Amazon too. Oh and also Wal-Mart would DEFINITELY help the Wii. And I don't think wal-mart is "included" in NPD either. But they are estimated.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BelligerentOC said:
Their numbers arent too far off considering that not everyone reports to NPD. Amazon? Toys R Us? And I dont remember if their numbers included Canada...
Didn't Nintendo fans always go to the "Bu-bu-bu NPD doesn't cover Walmart" defense in the GC days?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Odysseus said:
you're not getting it. a week of holiday shopping days was shoved from december into november. that's what made november the month that it was. if november cut off the saturday after thanksgiving as in prior years, the 360 number probably would have been ~550k.

add november and december together for 360, you're over 2 million, a nice 25%+ improvement over last year.

it's not world-beating, and it will never match the wii or the ps2. but take it for what it is.

Hmm, ok. Maybe I underestimated the effect of the week being shifted into November.

HW Sales

PlayStation 3 797.6 K 2.56 million

Xbox 360 1.26 million 4.62 million
Wii 1.35 million 6.29 million

Honestly, did anyone expect the 360 and Wii to be just 90,000 units apart? I sure didn't!

Mrbob

Before anyone is proclaiming doom and gloom for the PS3 some more, did you notice 1.1 million PS2s being sold in December? PS2 is still a damn beast. I almost think the continued success of the PS2 is hurting the PS3 more than anything else.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
HW Sales

Honestly, did anyone expect the 360 and Wii to be just 90,000 units apart? I sure didn't!
Shortages.

Odysseus

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
HW Sales

i didn't expect them to be too far apart. granted, my shot in the dark guesses at the numbers put them 300k apart, but the wii was a total guess. 360 came in a tad above my expectations (60k), wii didn't ship enough to meet them (150k short). such is life.

for one, you could find a 360 in a store. not so much for the wii. people can't buy what isn't there.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

I honestly expected 360 to come out ahead.

gkryhewy

Mrbob said:
Before anyone is proclaiming doom and gloom for the PS3 some more, did you notice 1.1 million PS2s being sold in December? PS2 is still a damn beast. I almost think the continued success of the PS2 is hurting the PS3 more than anything else.

Good thing you don't actually think it.

donny2112

ALeperMessiah said:
Wait, what's so bad about the 360 numbers again.

Less than some (most?) expected. It could be due to the reports of shortages for the Premium system that we've been hearing about, though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If it's possible, I'd like to request numbers for World of Warcraft and WoW: Burning Crusade. For some reason, I'm curious of the numbers for it in December.

Good numbers all around for all consoles. Wild stuff for games. Madden NFL returns...for the PS2. Where did the 360 version go?

Meier

Bricfa said:
Hopefully Uncharted is in the top 25.
it deserves to be in the top 10.

:lol Uncharted will be LUCKY to make it in the top 50 is my prediction. It might not even make it into the top 75.

Edit: Holy shit this thread is moving fast.

CALL OF DUTY 4

jam-1.gif
jam-1.gif
jam-1.gif
jam-1.gif
jam-1.gif

doicare

perfectchaos007 said:
I told you guys Sony's PR was a lie. None of you guys believed me. Especially the Sonybots who said You can't make up numbers. But with Sonys PR they made it seem they sold AT LEAST 800k this month. lol. I knew it all along. Shipped =/= sold once again Sony. just look at my prediction in the December NPD prediction topic.

:lol You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Sony's number weren't a lie, people just need to learn how to read. First of all these npd numbers are just for decemeber, sonys numbers were from black friday in november till the end of december. Plus sony's numbers were for all of america so you have to add canada's numbers when they finally come in, sony's PR for the numbers was 100% accurate.

Odysseus said:
i didn't expect them to be too far apart

for one, you could find a 360 in a store. not so much for the wii. people can't buy what isn't there.

I didn't expect the shortages to affect Nintendo that much. I expected it to hurt sales but not to put the 360 within reach.

If anything, this just shows MS that they have to take advantage of the shortages whenever they can, if they can. They had to pack in two games and slightly drop the price just to keep up.

methane47

Shepherd said:
PS3 numbers are terrible. Less than 800K in Dec? 360 beat it by 462,000 units. WOW.

seriously though.. its only 3k away.. More probably than not The sales that are not accounted for by NPD would have pushed the total over that mark..

BelligerentOC said:

In 2007 NPD added Amazon as a source of direct sales numbers. They lost Toys R Us.

Mrbob

Kintaro said:
If it's possible, I'd like to request numbers for World of Warcraft and WoW: Burning Crusade. For some reason, I'm curious of the numbers for it in December.

Good numbers all around for all consoles. Wild stuff for games. Madden NFL returns...for the PS2. Where did the 360 version go?

Yeah I noticed the X360 version of Madden did not get the December sales bump the PS2 madden games have always had.

I guess the casual madden fan hasn't hopped onto next gen yet. So much for Jeff Bell's chest thumping of outselling PS2 madden.

NekoFever

I've just noticed that COD4 on 360 actually sold less than it did last month (100,000 fewer copies), yet still managed to hold on to top spot. PC devs am cry.

MechDX

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I didn't expect the shortages to affect Nintendo that much. I expected it to hurt sales but not to put the 360 within reach.

If anything, this just shows MS that they have to take advantage of the shortages whenever they can, if they can.

$199 Arcade sku right before GTA4 launches.

Game, set and match for the PS3 if this happens.

Top Bottom