• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

doicare said:
:lol You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Sony's number weren't a lie, people just need to learn how to read. First of all these npd numbers are just for decemeber, sonys numbers were from black friday in november till the end of december. Plus sony's numbers were for all of america so you have to add canada's numbers when they finally come in, sony's PR for the numbers was 100% accurate.
We calculated that all in the thread where they were originally announced... and they're still off.

fernoca

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Honestly, did anyone expect the 360 and Wii to be just 90,000 units apart? I sure didn't!
One is supply constrained, the other is not..
One sold in line to what it did last year, even with a reduced price..the other one sold nearly twice what it did last year and with the same price...

Overall amazing numbers...and wtf? at Brain Age 2?? :lol

Frillen

I'm relly glad to see both Galaxy and CoD4 selling so extremely well. I've never played a better multiplayer online game in my entire life. Hats of to IW!

womfalcs3

Banned
Decent for PS3... within the range of expectations. Good for DS and PSP. X360 did well as well. I thought the Wii would be higher.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I didn't expect the shortages to affect Nintendo that much. I expected it to hurt sales but not to put the 360 within reach.

If anything, this just shows MS that they have to take advantage of the shortages whenever they can, if they can. They had to pack in two games and slightly drop the price just to keep up.
What do you mean it wouldn't be hurt much? 1.35 is what went onto shelves and that's the same number that came off them.

WinFonda

I traveled into the future during December and bought a PS3 because of Warner going Blu-Ray in January.

If only more people were as amazing as I am.

Chinner

Banned
I saw this chart on YCS. I know everyone loves charts here.
gamecubevsps3saleslol.png

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
donny2112 said:
1.2 million PS3s in North America from November 23 - December 31.

So is it possible they sold 402,400 from November 23rd to December 1st? They did 466,000 the entire month of November.

Mrbob said:
Before anyone is proclaiming doom and gloom for the PS3 some more, did you notice 1.1 million PS2s being sold in December? PS2 is still a damn beast. I almost think the continued success of the PS2 is hurting the PS3 more than anything else.

It would only hurt PS3 sales if a customer planning on purchasing a PS3 decides on a PS2. I don't think that is a common occurrence. The difference in price and power convinces me that they are serving 2 different types of consumers but removing BC on the cheaper model doesn't really help Sony leverage the power of that monster they created.

Dunno what's with all the doom and gloom for PS3 here, 800k to 360s 1.2 mil seems pretty good compared to past history. I honestly expected 360 to be further ahead. And 1.1 mil PS2s still sold, which is maybe the most surprising number of all for me. PS3's never gonna win cause PS2's never gonna die! PS3 software is a total disappointment though. Where's Uncharted :( :( :(

MechDX

_leech_ said:
Manufacturer totals since they're never in the OP :)P)

Nintendo: 3.82 million
Sony: 2.16 million
Microsoft: 1.26 million

Forgot to add in PC's running Windows. MS wins.:lol

Crushed

Fry Daddy
methane47 said:
seriously though.. its only 3k away.. More probably than not The sales that are not accounted for by NPD would have pushed the total over that mark..
In fact... if you ran out right now and asked all your local stores, they'll probably tell you that they sold 30k PS3 each in December.

Very suspicious of the NPD, I'm sure.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
doicare said:
:lol You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Sony's number weren't a lie, people just need to learn how to read. First of all these npd numbers are just for decemeber, sonys numbers were from black friday in november till the end of december. Plus sony's numbers were for all of america so you have to add canada's numbers when they finally come in, sony's PR for the numbers was 100% accurate.

Sony's P.R said it sold 1.2M until the end of the december. Let's say Canada is 10%, so it was 1.05M for the U.S alone. Now, let's take out Black Friday week sales. Let's say it was 150K. So it seems to me that for the 4 weeks of December, if you were to believe Sony's P.R, it should have been 900K sold. Now, add in the first week of January...I dunno, another 50-75K at least? If Sony's P.R was correct, they should have been close to a million IMO.

Shepherd said:
So is it possible they sold 402,400 from November 23rd to December 1st? They did 466,000 the entire month of November.

Well they said North America, right? So that would include sales from the rest of the continent in the same time frame.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Shortages really hit the Wii and might of hit the 360. Solid numbers for both not great but solid. DS is just insane and the PS3 is a complete disaster. A price drop, new model, 3AAA exclusives 5 week month and it did not come close to the 360 totals last year.

felipeko

From IGN
Just short of the top 10 best-sellers for the month was Guitar Hero III for Wii (#11), which managed to tack on another 500,000-plus in sales, putting Activision's Wii music entry well beyond the million-seller point.

Snah

Banned
PS3 sales are quite strong. The numbers for the entire month of all hardware (sans the DS) look a bit low, however.

360, in its third Christmas season and with Halo 3 and other exclusives, only managed to outsell the PS3 by 460k with the lowest price point of entry being significantly lower than the PS3, and the PS3's most adopted model being the $499 version. Looking at it in terms of revenue, the PS3 outsold the Wii.

Pretty impressive numbers for the PS3, that's definitely sure. Now, given the sales gap in the US, it's pretty much guaranteed that worldwide the PS3 is outselling the 360. 2008 is where, in North America, PS3 starts outselling the 360 (especially as we get closer to the fall), barring any significant pricedrops by Microsoft.

spwolf

Son of Godzilla said:
An unbundled top 10 would put Wii Play at fucking 0.

it would, wouldnt it?

My comments:
DS - woa, woa, woa... I participated in that one and my wife is happy!
Wii - it begins.
360 - good
PS3 - keeping up
PS2 - woa. woa.
PSP - what happens when GPS and Skype get released in US?

Now, arent those ancidotal reports of Wii selling in hundreds while 360 and PS2 do few sales and PS3 none, really, really funny now? Sure, Ninty could have sold 2 million more, but they did not.

laserbeam

Banned
jetjevons said:
What a boring NPD thread. No bitter tears. No meltdowns. No number spinning.

we have had a mini spin with someone claiming blu ray announcement made in Jan somehow made December PS3 sales "climb"

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
fernoca said:
One is supply constrained, the other is not..
One sold in line to what it did last year, even with a reduced price..the other one sold nearly twice what it did last year and with the same price...

Overall amazing numbers...and wtf? at Brain Age 2?? :lol

Uh? Xbox 360 was -very- supply constrained

just because they had the halo and arcade packs which no one wants doesn't mean there is stock. There wasn't. Elites and premiums were very hard to find

Top Bottom