• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Meier

super funk said:
What the hell is Brain Age 2 doing there? Were stores giving away free?

I bought it for my dad personally. I imagine a lot of people did.. perfect gift for a parent who you bought a DS or Brain Age 1 for previously.

legend166

Chinner said:
I saw this chart on YCS. I know everyone loves charts here.
gamecubevsps3saleslol.png

I'd like to see that graph till the end of the respective holidays.

mood

Snah said:
PS3 sales are quite strong. The numbers for the entire month of all hardware (sans the DS) look a bit low, however.

360, in its third Christmas season and with Halo 3 and other exclusives, only managed to outsell the PS3 by 460k with the lowest price point of entry being significantly lower than the PS3, and the PS3's most adopted model being the $499 version. Looking at it in terms of revenue, the PS3 outsold the Wii.

Pretty impressive numbers for the PS3, that's definitely sure. Now, given the sales gap in the US, it's pretty much guaranteed that worldwide the PS3 is outselling the 360. 2008 is where, in North America, PS3 starts outselling the 360 (especially as we get closer to the fall), barring any significant pricedrops by Microsoft.

:lol :lol :lol

tjhooker

Banned
Snah said:
PS3 sales are quite strong. The numbers for the entire month of all hardware (sans the DS) look a bit low, however.

360, in its third Christmas season and with Halo 3 and other exclusives, only managed to outsell the PS3 by 460k with the lowest price point of entry being significantly lower than the PS3, and the PS3's most adopted model being the $499 version. Looking at it in terms of revenue, the PS3 outsold the Wii.

Pretty impressive numbers for the PS3, that's definitely sure. Now, given the sales gap in the US, it's pretty much guaranteed that worldwide the PS3 is outselling the 360. 2008 is where, in North America, PS3 starts outselling the 360 (especially as we get closer to the fall), barring any significant pricedrops by Microsoft.

Yup MS will be disappointed.

This is the last holiday NPD where 360 will sell more than PS3 and it only amounted to 400K.

A difference which was more than made up by PS3 sales in Japan and Europe in Dec.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Snah said:

Sony P.R needs men like you

mysticstylez said:
I bet Epic's looking at those Halo 3 and CoD4 numbers saying to themselves, "we fucked up".

Why? They sold 4 million copies and have a crack at Dec 2008 if they play their cards right.

Odysseus

Banned
Snah said:

you auditioning for scea pr or something?

donny2112 said:
You don't read replies much, do you? NPD numbers are an estimate for 100% of the market. There's not some missing representation that isn't at least attempted to be compensated for. These numbers are U.S. only.

Well, his assumptions are wrong, but I think everyone was expecting 800k for the PS3, and they're right about there. I say the numbers are within the margin of error. A solid showing for the PS3, given the fact that it's the PS3.

Wii sold less than everyone was expecting obviously, but I can't imagine that it's going to slow down for a while. The 360 did very well, in my opinion. DS = :O kermitcrazy.gif karatethrowmanexplode.gif etc.

Snah said:

When the PS3 starts outselling the 360 as far as software is going, then we can talk.

Snah said:

You should get paid.

Snah said:

That is some interesting logic you have right there.

Bookey

Professional Monk
Good sales all around, and what were people ragging on ps3 #'s expecting to fly off the shelves? stealth mission ut3?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Snah said:

Here we go again...

Snah said:

You're the best. I mean that.

tjhooker said:

This is the last holiday NPD where 360 will sell more than PS3 and it only amounted to 400K.

A difference which was more than made up by PS3 sales in Japan and Europe in Dec.

You really are tiresome.

ith3r

Banned
Snah said:

:lol

Feep

Banned
I don't know if this data could be obtained, but I'd imagine 2.47 million hardware units is an all-time record for any portable or home console. Holy hell.

Well done Wii and DS, and well done SMG :D

As for PS3, being the only console not to hit a million sales at least in a 5-week holiday period speaks volumes to me.

Kolgar

Snah said:

You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between...!

Hehehe, all in good fun, Snah.

jman2050

Snah said:

Taking your idiocy from the Blu-Ray thread to here I see.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
doicare said:
NO they are not off, sony's pr was accurate.

Sony's P.R said it sold 1.2M until the end of the december. Let's say Canada is 10%, so it was 1.05M for the U.S alone. Now, let's take out Black Friday week sales. Let's say it was 150K. So it seems to me that for the 4 weeks of December, if you were to believe Sony's P.R, it should have been 900K sold. Now, add in the first week of January...I dunno, another 50-75K at least? If Sony's P.R was correct, they should have been close to a million IMO.

ijm72

jetjevons said:
What a boring NPD thread. No bitter tears. No meltdowns. No number spinning.

Snah said:

Rolf NB

T Ghost said:
PS3 is lagging more and more in the US...
Ahahahahaha.

August: 131K PS3, 277K XBox 360; PS3=0.47*XBox 360
September: 119K PS3, 528K XBox 360; PS3=0.225*XBox 360
October: 121K PS3, 366K XBox 360; PS3=0.33*XBox 360
November: 466K PS3, 770K XBox 360; PS3=0.605*XBox 360
December: 797K PS3, 1m26 XBox 360; PS3=0.633*XBox 360

Believe it or not., in December the PS3 continued to gain marketshare in the USA.
The yearly share got bumped up a final time to 35.6%*. Now that no PS3 software made it into the top 10 is a bummer, but we've seen in previous months that attach rates are roughly the same. Chances are that CoD 4/PS3 did a bit above 500k in December, which didn't suffice for a top-10 entry but should still make Actiblizzion a little bit happier than they would otherwise be.

*counting share between the two HD consoles only because I don't care about anything else tbh

TheDuce22

Banned
tjhooker said:

When should we expect PS3 to start oustelling the 360 here?

methane47

Psychotext said:
Oh... and here's the original thread where the Sony PR was discussed:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225058

more than 3.9 million units in North America during the critical holiday sales window (Friday, November 23, 2007 to December 31, 2007)

3.9 million sales(Friday, November 23, 2007 to December 31, 2007)

(Friday, November 23, 2007 to December 31, 2007)

November 23, 2007 to December 31, 2007

I dont see why you guys are upset about the PR if the PR was for a different period.. It's only One week yeah..

But the first week of January IS A WHOLE LOT different than the LAST week of November

harSon

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Why? They sold 4 million copies and have a crack at Dec 2008 if they play their cards right.

They failed to release a game for the system with the current largest following. With proper marketing and the Xbox 360 fanbase, Unreal Tournament 3 would have been a sales success.

DopeyFish said:
Uh? Xbox 360 was -very- supply constrained

just because they had the halo and arcade packs which no one wants doesn't mean there is stock. There wasn't. Elites and premiums were very hard to find

Yeah, I think MS missed a real opportunity to cross streams with the Wii here if they were able to keep the channel full of premiums and elites. Which, going by anecdotal evidence, they failed at.

mood said:

:lol I knew there was a reason I had him on ignore.

Chinner

Banned
X360 was supply constrained didn't you see all those useless x360 halo editions laying around that's practically the same as supply constrained.

Also my sources say that Mass Effect outsold Uncharted.

harSon said:
They failed to release a game for the system with the current largest following. With proper marketing and the Xbox 360 fanbase, Unreal Tournament 3 would have been a sales success.

You're right of course...hell I forgot about it and assumed he meant Gears.

jet1911

Snah said:

That's some impressive spin right there. :lol

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Snah said:

ONLY 460K. :)

Top Bottom