• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Mrbob

Tom Penny said:
So even though basically the PS3 is never going to catch the X360 in the US is it a bad sign that the X360 sold only like 116,000 more than the year before?

Not really...MS held onto some higher pricepoints for way too long. I think the 360 will come out in Jan selling much better than it has in the past.

opiate said:
6) Of the PS3/360 titles in the top 10 for the year, all are shooters save Madden at number 9.

So, out of the top 4 best selling 360/PS3 games, one's a FPS, ones a third person shooter, one's an action sandbox, and one's a sports game. I'm sure the industry is doomed after that revelation.

Honestly I'd be more concerned over the quality and nature of the other 5 games in the top 10.

Kenka

Opiate said:
I think we all know the answer is fairly obvious: very limited supply. Nintendo sold what they shipped.

The other option is completely unrealistic: all of a sudden there was a massive downturn in Wii demand, so that the product only sold 105% of its November total when products commonly sell 175-200%.

I'm not suggesting that Wii demand might not lessen -- obviously it will within 5 years, at least -- but demand doesn't just fall off a cliff in the span of a month. It will be a gradual and eventual lessening.

I'm not wanting to appear ridiculous, I'm talking about a logical fact. Nintendo is able to turn the tap of supply the way they want, right ? So, my question is why they actually supplied America less during December than during November. The 4 weeks/5 weeks makes the whole picture disturbing. Did Nintendo fuck up their planning by flooding the market too early ? Is it a planned strategy for being sure to be able to post positive year-over-year growth trend next year ? Did NPD fuck it up ? Is Wii really supply-constrained.

Well, the last hypothesis could be true. But I don't like this straight answer. There are a whole bunch of unanswered questions behind.

Kusagari

By the way, I have to ask this question.

Is Gears 2 seemingly unexpected plunge proof of how big a contingent hardcore gamers are on 360? You can say CoD is more casual which I agree but it doesn't explain why Gears seems to have flailing legs in sales AND Xbox Live. The original Gears held up on the Xbox Live charts extremely well for months on end. Gears 2 reached #1 it's first week and since then has dropped like a rock.

The only theory that makes sense is how wide the outcry on the internet has been over the glitches and multiple problems for Gears. I can't think of anything else that would explain why it's collapsing like this. I mean, I know anything over 700k in a second month is still amazing but look how close L4D is and how much more WaW sold. Not impressive after the first Gears and how marquee a title it was supposed to be.

[Nintex]

:lol The Killzone 2 thread is indeed some kind of refugee camp it's like reading comments about something that happened on another forum.

Arde5643

FtsH said:
yeah NPD should release a chart of total polygons output by each console per month.
That's a good idea - if that was accepted by the chair and investors, Sony'd probably have done that all this time. :lol :lol

Opiate

This is the first year of Ubisoft not having a breakout hit in a while, at least on PS3/360. Assassin's Creed, GRAW and Rainbow Six we're carrying them; this year, Rainbow Six did acceptably but was stagnant, GRAW is now nonexistant and the theoretical equivalent to Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, has clearly done much worse.

I'll be interested to see how their revenue breaks down on their financial report this month.

FtsH

Puck said:
I mayswell join into the ridiculous trolling.

500k of those 360 sales were from people whose RROD 360 was out of warranty.

try this: those 700k of PS3 sales were from people whose RROD 360 was out of warranty and turned to SONY instead.

graphusa01e.png

Banned
[Nintex] said:
:lol The Killzone 2 thread is indeed some kind of refugee camp it's like reading comments about something that happened on another forum.

Like I said it is their Alamo. :lol

Mrbob said:
To be fair, PS3 sales aren't horrible. They are just flat....this is what happens when you sell a 400 dollar console (and an added value LULZ of a 500 system for the holiday season) when the economy is on the decline. PS3 year over year is actually halfway decent for the price the system is at....just pathetic compared to what the Wii is doing and to a smaller extent the 360.

Sony needs to cut the system to $299.99 asap. The days of the PS3 becoming the next PS2 are over, now sony needs to ramp up the install base. I would also pack in LBP with this 300 dollar system.

At least I can thank Sony for sacrificing the PS3 to help make HD movies mainstream. Will be interesting to see if it was worth it to destroy the console market for the movie market...we'll see how far Blu Ray can go! Love my PS3 as a blu ray movie player. :D

uuhhh no.

Sony needs to now worry about profitability.

Not some bullshit imaginary trophy for 2nd place.

Arde5643

Son of Godzilla said:
So, out of the top 4 best selling 360/PS3 games, one's a FPS, ones a third person shooter, one's an action sandbox, and one's a sports game. I'm sure the industry is doomed after that revelation.

Honestly I'd be more concerned over the quality and nature of the other 5 games in the top 10.
The goalpost - they've been a-moved!! :lol :lol :lol

YYZ

Pasco said:
Also, anybody trying to spin the PS3 numbers as positive, 38% YoY increase from last place turns out to still be last place.
do you understand how percentages work?

DMeisterJ said:
This thread isn't fun. There are no meltdowns here!

I was hoping for an upset to see some meltdowns, but it looks like people have either A) lowered their expectations or B) are too busy to care for sales-age (never!), or C) are trying to ignore it...

Pick one GAF!

Well, what everyone expected to happen happened. Its hard to have meltdowns when the numbers were already obvious. The only thing left to do is laugh at Sony for being last. The NPD threads arent ever interesting unless something strange happens.

Mrbob

I really wish NPD would move Wii Play and Wii Fit to hardware sales.

With only 10 numbers total, it is a waste of space having these two in the software list month after month when they aren't purchased as software endeavors.

Zophar

Kusagari said:

Is Gears 2 seemingly unexpected plunge proof of how big a contingent hardcore gamers are on 360? You can say CoD is more casual which I agree but it doesn't explain why Gears seems to have flailing legs in sales AND Xbox Live. The original Gears held up on the Xbox Live charts extremely well for months on end. Gears 2 reached #1 it's first week and since then has dropped like a rock.

The only theory that makes sense is how wide the outcry on the internet has been over the glitches and multiple problems for Gears. I can't think of anything else that would explain why it's collapsing like this. I mean, I know anything over 700k in a second month is still amazing but look how close L4D is and how much more WaW sold. Not impressive after the first Gears and how marquee a title it was supposed to be.
Gears 2 was intended to ride the coattails of the first one. It's not particularly fresh and doesn't hold up as well as the first one did, IMO.

Tron 2.0

Kusagari said:

I can only speak for myself, but I got bored with it very quickly. Also, it was buggy as all get-out and I haven't bothered to go back since they patched it.

TJ Spyke

Opiate said:
Thank you for the thorough drubbing on Guitar Hero, guys. That will teach me to make a mistake on NPD day!

Serious question, now that it's been brought up: has any third party Wii game other than Rock Band / Guitar Hero ever made the top 10 in America? Any non music games?

I believe Mario and Sonic has. Anything else?

All third party top 10's:
June 2007- Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition was #9 at 150K
October 2007- Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock was #3 at 286.3K
November 2007- Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock was #8 at 426K
December 2007- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games was #10 at 613K
January 2008- Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock was #3 at 239.6K
February 2008- Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock was #5 at 222.9K
March 2008- Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock was #7 at 264.1K
April 2008- Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock was #9 at 152K
May 2008- Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock was #8 at 116.8K
June 2008- LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures was #8 at 294.5K
July 2008- Rock Band was #8 at 165.8K
August 2008- Madden NFL 09 was #9 at 115.8K
September 2008- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed was #9 at 223K
November 2008- Guitar Hero World Tour was #7 at 475K
Decemer 2008- Guitar Hero World Tour was #5 at 850K

Mrbob, there is zero reason to do that. They are both games that have accessories included with them (not the other way around).

Kusagari said:

Gears 2 multi is basically broken and unplayable. That might explain some of what you're saying.

Zachack

Tom Penny said:
So even though basically the PS3 is never going to catch the X360 in the US is it a bad sign that the X360 sold only like 116,000 more than the year before?
It's a sign that MS needed to stop dragging their feet with the pricedrops. They've repeatedly waited until well beyond the point where they needed to and only now have kinda/sorta made it so the tard pack isn't so tard-y.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Bearillusion said:
I'm probably alone but I think those PS3 sales are pretty good.

You know, I think you might be right.

I mean, without all the spin etc., it increased by like 300 THOUSAND UNITS from last month. And the month before that it had increased from the previous month, etc. If sales going up 3 months in a row doesn't show momentum, what does?

I think Sony has to be reasonably pleased with these numbers, especially given the price point which is still not in the "mainstream". I think a 150 dollar price drop in time for Killzone 2 will do wonders.

Zhuk

Banned
[Nintex] said:

I'm scared to go into that thread :lol :lol they all have their tin foil hats on and lynching ropes ready for anyone who steps out of line

Weisheit

Mrbob said:
I really wish NPD would move Wii Play and Wii Fit to hardware sales.

With only 10 numbers total, it is a waste of space having these two in the software list month after month when they aren't purchased as software endeavors.
:lol

Arde5643

Opiate said:
This is the first year of Ubisoft not having a breakout hit in a while, at least on PS3/360. Assassin's Creed, GRAW and Rainbow Six we're carrying them; this year, Rainbow Six did acceptably but was stagnant, GRAW is now nonexistant and the theoretical equivalent to Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, has clearly done much worse.

I'll be interested to see how their revenue breaks down on their financial report this month.
At the rate they're going - I'm just worried they'll try to churn out more Imagine lines to pay for the development of HD games.

herod

Tom Penny said:

Maybe. Wasn't 2007 a Halo year though?

legend166

Kenka said:
I'm not wanting to appear ridiculous, I'm talking about a logical fact. Nintendo is able to turn the tap of supply the way they want, right ? So, my question is why they actually supplied America less during December than during November. The 4 weeks/5 weeks makes the whole picture disturbing. Did Nintendo fuck up their planning by flooding the market too early ? Is it a planned strategy for being sure to be able to post positive year-over-year growth trend next year ? Did NPD fuck it up ? Is Wii really supply-constrained.

Well, the last hypothesis could be true. But I don't like this straight answer. There are a whole bunch of unanswered questions behind.

Of course not. Nintendo doesn't control the entire supply chain. It's dependent on other part suppliers.

In terms of more in November than December: Think of it this way. All those people who bought it in November probably went and bought more software for Christmas. Unlike those who got it in December who will still be playing their first software purchases. That's just my theory, but it makes sense.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Arde5643 said:
Just because someone posts numbers, statistics, or charts, do not mean said person actually knows what they're talking about.

In sales threads, normally you'd only trust few regulars who have shown time and time again their reliability.

Hoffman is one the many you'd never trust forever.

Ok that's cool, I'm not a 'uber geek' I don't know all this shit, I just wish people wouldn't get in your face for a simple miss understanding, I'm just a normal dude with an average IQ just trying to get involved a little, anyway just out of interest, I see everyone is making a joke in regards to his statistics but could someone explain what was wrong with them ?

Kusagari said:

Gears 2 is a big hit and will continue to sell. People are just now starting to understand that COD is a megafranchise at the moment.

Top Bottom