• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

AAK

Feel really sorry for Sony exclusive software devs. All that talent making arguably some of the best games reaching no one.

YYZ

bad thing about PS3 is that we can't see how many people are buying it for blu-ray, how many for games, and how many for both.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This thread's gonna be very entertaining tonight.

Do we have other game numbers such as LBP and Wii Music?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Hm, most of my guesses in the prediction thread weren't too far off. If I had only reversed those Wii and DS numbers, I'd have had this in the bag.
Shig said:
[360] 1490k
[NDS] 2370k
[PS2] 380k
[PS3] 620k
[PSP] 1150k
[WII] 2800k

FrankT

hulot said:
If you put it that way..........it's quite clear, especially with value like this:

51x2r9.jpg

Oh gah :lol

bmf said:
Pachter says April. I say November.

PACHTER that is right where is PACHTER.

[Nintex]

WretchedTruman said:
well, there is that whole profit thing that Sony's pretty dead set on.
Crunching their entire line-up in the last few months of the year didn't actually have anything to do with profit. They shouldn't have released all their big guns in the holiday season.

Frillen

Kenka said:
Nobody willing to talk more in depth about Wii sales ?.....

What is there to talk about? It was supply constrained as always and sold as much as Nintendo shipped.

Simple really. Really is simple.

Opiate

Kenka said:
Nobody willing to talk more in depth about Wii sales ?.....

I think we all know the answer is fairly obvious: very limited supply. Nintendo sold what they shipped.

The other option is completely unrealistic: all of a sudden there was a massive downturn in Wii demand, so that the product only sold 105% of its November total when products commonly sell 175-200%.

I'm not suggesting that Wii demand might not lessen -- obviously it will within 5 years, at least -- but demand doesn't just fall off a cliff in the span of a month. It will be a gradual and eventual lessening.

hulot said:
If you put it that way..........it's quite clear, especially with value like this:

51x2r9.jpg

Friend to play with $150 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Stitch

Gold Member
oh damn forgot that it is NPD day. and i was wondering why there were so many 500 server errors :lol

Nintendo
2iru16b.gif

Microsoft
1442mb9.gif

Sony
2craia8.gif

Hoffman's at it again.:lol

TouchMyBox said:
over 700k is horrible now? :(

Welcome to 2009. The gaming market has grown. Especially since last year where the console has declined in sales.

Blu_LED said:
Its so sad that a MGS4 didn't chart for the year. I mean really. Best game released all year, and it couldn't beat out something like Madden, or Wii Play

Yeah I understand why. There no need to attack this post with you incredible gaming market knowledge

EDIT: I also find it gross that Guitar Hero and World at War are on that list.

It's called taste and opinion. I personally found MGS4 to be VERY disappointing.

zeloe326

Blu_LED said:
No PS3 is doing terrible. Hahaha you don't have shane to back you up now fucker!!!!!!

:lol

I'm like literally laughing my ass off here with all these comments. You guys seriously need help. :lol

Arde5643

Frillen said:
What is there to talk about? It was supply constrained as always and sold as much as Nintendo shipped.

Simple really. Really is simple.
He's just trying to stealth-troll the Wii sales although he's not sure how without going to a meltdown. :lol :lol

Puck

Banned
I mayswell join into the ridiculous trolling.

500k of those 360 sales were from people whose RROD 360 was out of warranty.

So despite having the worse software lineup, there are still more wii titles in top 10 than any other system. Wait, I thought wii owners only buy it for wii sports?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Arde5643 said:
The very fact you actually take any of PH's word/statistics/lies as truth says more about you than the rest of the posters here.

Dude I don't know these people personally or their on-line character traits like all you people seem to, I presumed if someone posts up a set of statistics then they would be right, are they wrong then ?

Private Hoffman said:
2008:

Wii 10.15 million (+61%)
360 4.73 million (+2.3%)
PS3 3.54 million (+38%)
PS2 2.50 million ( - 37%)
NDS 9.95 million ( +17% )
PSP 3.83 million ( 0% )

2007:

Wii 6.29 million
360 4.62 million
PS2 3.97 million
PS3 2.56 million
NDS 8.50 million
PSP 3.82 million

Notes:

Wii/DS sales monstrous. Wii in particular seeing tremendous growth.
360 sales relatively flat despite a large price cut to a mainstream price $199
PS3 sales up 38% for the year with no price cut.
PS2 seeing significant decline.
PSP sales nearly identical YoY

You sir are brilliant, PS3 was cheaper all year this year but I suspect you already knew that!

JdFoX187

Banned
hulot said:

51x2r9.jpg
*Mind blown*

Good numbers all the way around though, especially considering we're in a recession right now. I'm happy to see Left 4 Dead doing well, even though Gears of War 2 is slowing :(

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Hooray @ L4D sales. The PC sales for L4D are huge too, so I think we can officially chalk that game up as a big winner for Valve.

And the PS3 selling less than it did last December is just sad.

YYZ said:
bad thing about PS3 is that we can't see how many people are buying it for blu-ray, how many for games, and how many for both.
I highly doubt anyone is buying it for a Blu-Ray player anymore. You can buy and equally as good Blu-Ray player for $199 now. Why spend $399 on one that is slightly better, especially during these times.

legend166

zeloe326 said:
That seems like they're doing well to me, unless I'm reading into this thread incorrectly.

2007 was so horrifically bad, that for the PS3 not to be up on a Year to Year basis would have been a massive disaster basically meaning the console would be dead. Go have a look at the 2007 figures. Several months of <100k sales.

Edit: oops, meant 2007

Mrbob

To be fair, PS3 sales aren't horrible. They are just flat....this is what happens when you sell a 400 dollar console (and an added value LULZ of a 500 system for the holiday season) when the economy is on the decline. PS3 year over year is actually halfway decent for the price the system is at....just pathetic compared to what the Wii is doing and to a smaller extent the 360.

Sony needs to cut the system to $299.99 asap. The days of the PS3 becoming the next PS2 are over, now sony needs to ramp up the install base. I would also pack in LBP with this 300 dollar system.

At least I can thank Sony for sacrificing the PS3 to help make HD movies mainstream. Will be interesting to see if it was worth it to destroy the console market for the movie market...we'll see how far Blu Ray can go! Love my PS3 as a blu ray movie player. :D

Tom Penny

So even though basically the PS3 is never going to catch the X360 in the US is it a bad sign that the X360 sold only like 116,000 more than the year before?

bmf said:
Pachter says April. I say November.
same.

Maybe duplicate MS' solid approach and set off the fireworks in late September/early October. A $100 price cut in April leaves them with no momentum when the holidays rolls around.

A $50 price cut for each SKU in April would be suitable; maybe bundle the cheaper one with a blockbuster title, and you're set to limp by for a few months.

Arde5643

lowrider007 said:
Dude I don't know these people personally or their on-line character traits like all you people seem to, I presumed if someone posts up a set of statistics then they would be right, are they wrong then ?
Just because someone posts numbers, statistics, or charts, do not mean said person actually knows what they're talking about.

In sales threads, normally you'd only trust few regulars who have shown time and time again their reliability.

Hoffman is one the many you'd never trust forever.

DMeisterJ

Banned
This thread isn't fun. There are no meltdowns here!

I was hoping for an upset to see some meltdowns, but it looks like people have either A) lowered their expectations or B) are too busy to care for sales-age (never!), or C) are trying to ignore it...

Pick one GAF!

Private Hoffman said:
2008:

Wii 10.15 million (+61%)
360 4.73 million (+2.3%)
PS3 3.54 million (+38%)
PS2 2.50 million ( - 37%)
NDS 9.95 million ( +17% )
PSP 3.83 million ( 0% )

2007:

Wii 6.29 million
360 4.62 million
PS2 3.97 million
PS3 2.56 million
NDS 8.50 million
PSP 3.82 million

Notes:

Wii/DS sales monstrous. Wii in particular seeing tremendous growth.
360 sales relatively flat despite a large price cut to a mainstream price $199
PS3 sales up 38% for the year with no price cut.
PS2 seeing significant decline.
PSP sales nearly identical YoY

NEVERENDINGJOKER.jpg

Narcosis

Is it possible to get some numbers for Persona 4? I know it's a niche game that was never gonna chart in the top 10 range, but I'm still curious.

Pretty much nothing unexpected this NPD. I figured DS was gonna slaughter, I figured 360 would do almost 2X PS3 and I was thinking alot of people were overestimating Wii. With current exchange rates that hurt any foreign based company when shipping/selling in the US I didn't figure they'd pump 4 million units into the region like some expected. Whether they had 4 million units or not is another debate, but even if they did I wouldn't think they'd go for it in the current economic state.

Left 4 Dead has some impressive legs on the console front. Congrats Valve.

lowrider007 said:
Interesting.

Now watch people ignore that and continue predicting PS3 demise.

Those are numbers for the year though. The holiday numbers are actually down from 2007 so they are sliding backwards now. That's not exactly good news.

Pasco

Banned
xir said:
anyone know L4D's NPD sales for PC? Those don't count steam, right?

NPD never release numbers for PC as far as I'm aware, just a weekly top 10 ranking. And those don't include Steam, and Valve rarely gives out Steam numbers.

We have no way of knowing what L4D sold on the PC, but I'm betting 1 hojillion.

Also, anybody trying to spin the PS3 numbers as positive, 38% YoY increase from last place turns out to still be last place.

Zhuk

Banned
A great end to the year for the Wii and Xbox 360. The PS3 is in serious trouble, it has been since launch, unless there's some miracle Sony's machine will become increasingly irrelevant as consumer sentiment will only turn against it from now onwards.

It's been 2 years, no more excuses or waiting for next year or software to turn things around, the damage has been done, and it's irrepairable.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Opiate said:
I think we all know the answer is fairly obvious: very limited supply. Nintendo sold what they shipped.

The other option is completely unrealistic: all of a sudden there was a massive downturn in Wii demand, so that the product only sold 105% of its November total when products commonly sell 175-200%.

I'm not suggesting that Wii demand might not lessen -- obviously it will within 5 years, at least -- but demand doesn't just fall off a cliff in the span of a month. It will be a gradual and eventual lessening.

This.

And to those asking about Guitar Hero and Rock Band revenues due to the high bundle prices, didn't they say GH has already brought in 1 billion this year among all its products?

Top Bottom