• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Kilrogg said:
I think the real story here is that the 360 price cuts didn't do much for the system overall, as the system sold 100k more in 2008 than in 2007. However, it did impact PS3 sales big time, it seems.

I think MS really has to question whether it's worth it to drop their holiday bundles for the 3rd consecutive year.

And to be supply constrained during most of Q1 because of attempts to phase out said holiday bundle for the 3rd consecutive year.

Pack-in games seem to do just as much to help the 360's weekly sales as price drops do.

Pasco

Banned
First of all:

Holy fuck DS!
Holy fuck Mario Kart DS! In December and 2008 top 10? It was released in 2005, that's some legs!
Holy fuck Wii supply problems.
Holy fuck PS3 sold even less that its last pathetic Christmas.

Kuroyume said:
How is MGS4 not in the top ten for the year? I thought it would have done a few million by now.

Well, y'know, PS3

Link

The Autumn Wind
Private Hoffman said:
PS3 sales up 38% for the year with no price cut.
The price cut was at the very end of 2007. Meaning the PS3 was cheaper than the previous year for over 10 months.

DeZimatoR

Banned
AstroLad said:
i wish i knew every poster's post history on all forums from back around the ps2 release when they were shitting all over the dc and burying it so i could take that shit and dirt and rub it in their fucking faces now.

"year of the ps3!!!!11oneone"

:lol :lol

ps shane is no longer regularly podcasting fuckers

You have serious issues.

No really, you do.

Archie said:
"While some have wondered if the popularity of Guitar Hero and Rock Band is waning, both properties realized their best month yet in dollar sales, and combined represent 16% of total software dollar sales this month."

Yay Rock Band isn't dead.

I'm interested in seeing the top 20. RB2 on Wii had a few weeks out didn't it?

botticus

My DS and Wii expectations were pretty well opposite from reality, yikes.

At first I thought Mario Kart Wii was really low... and then I realized it was Mario Kart DS.

NYR said:
Sales-Age

Sales-Age

It's party time, excellent

waynes_world_15B15D.jpg

:lol

Imagined the scene with those lines :lol

FrankT

Yeh we forget 2007 sales so quickly heh.

Really have to wonder how this month is going to turn out now after these numbers. I did see a few Wii's today at the local Wally World. I wonder if they can keep a nice supply for the month.

Tron 2.0

Yeesh. Sony cannot be excited about those numbers.

Any of them. Software sales on the PS3 are abysmal.

skinnyrattler said:
I wonder what Castlevania sold YTD. Probably like 50K.
Are you talking about Order of Eccelsia? I believe it has been selling inline with the previous DS efforts.

Link said:
The price cut was at the very end of 2007. Meaning the PS3 was cheaper than the previous year for over 10 months.

And it did rather well comparatively at that price point until MS dropped again.

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Wii/DS sales monstrous. Wii in particular seeing tremendous growth.
360 sales relatively flat despite a large price cut to a mainstream price $199
PS2 seeing significant decline.
PSP sales nearly identical YoY

Up 38% over crap sales is not a great accomplishment. PS3 had 10 months in 2008 were it was cheaper than 2007. 360 had 4 months.

Private Hoffman said:
Notes:

:lol :lol

Mastperf

Puncture said:
(Points to every woman walking the earth).... wat?

Plz dont ban me

Also its just to soon for the DSI. Too soon over here man.

I was thinking the same thing when I typed that.:lol

To be fair, the PS3 has been bleeding a looooong time. It just aint natural..

donny2112 said:
That's the current saying but just you wait. The goalposts: they be a-moving! :lol

I thought it had been moved to "Wii owners don't buy third party games...aside from Guitar Hero, Rock Band and Lego games".

Cipherr

Gully State said:
So is the "wii owners don't buy games" argument dead? or are people going to still throw that one around with "wii is a fad, it'll die soon" and the "the wii only sells b/c of its price"

Arguments in console wars never truly die. The just transform. The goalposts are moved, but all in general remains the same.

Private Hoffman said:
2008:

Wii 10.15 million (+61%)
360 4.73 million (+2.3%)
PS3 3.54 million (+38%)
PS2 2.50 million ( - 37%)
NDS 9.95 million ( +17% )
PSP 3.83 million ( 0% )

2007:

Wii 6.29 million
360 4.62 million
PS2 3.97 million
PS3 2.56 million
NDS 8.50 million
PSP 3.82 million

Notes:

What the hell are those numbers? I don't get it.

TheFatOne

[Nintex] said:
So did Sony send Hideo Kojima a "thanks for the support and here's a billion dollar!" letter? If it wasn't for MGS4, the PS3 wouldn't have sold what it did. That's Sony's biggest fault this year, all the "Year of the PS3" bullcrap and they just couldn't keep their momentum. It started with the pricedrop effects, continued with the very succesfull MGS4 launch and the game had some legs and then Sony did.... nothing.

Really it all comes down to two things the price and the economic situation in the U.S. The price of the Ps3 is still to high and the recession hurt it this holiday season.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Private Hoffman said:

Interesting.

Now watch people ignore that and continue predicting PS3 demise.

somuchwater said:
Wow. That's weird. I guess that doesn't reflect at two-month YoY decline for the PS3, but we can now expect Sony to be touting this figure.

Wonder if the growth in PS3 sales and decline in PS2 sales actually ends up hurting, rather than helping, their bottom lines.

Also, MS must have made *way* more in SW sales in 2008 than in 2007, so I think they're still sitting in a good spot (compared to Sony, that is).

I'm curious to know how it's affecting their bottom lines as well.

On one hand, PS2 sales must be making a significant amount of money for Sony, so this decline has to hurt.

But on the other, PS3 has likely had significant cost reductions and they haven't lowered the price, so they are either losing less on the unit or making a slight return.

PSP sales are roughly the same.

PS3 software sales likely to be significantly up year over year. While LBP, MotorStorm 2, and Resistance 2 haven't necessarily lit the charts on fire, they are sure to have sold considerably more than 2007's lineup of Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, and Uncharted.

Last year they made a slight profit in their game division for this quarter. It'll be interesting to see what this year returns...I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

[Nintex] said:
So did Sony send Hideo Kojima a "thanks for the support and here's a billion dollar!" letter? If it wasn't for MGS4, the PS3 wouldn't have sold what it did. That's Sony's biggest fault this year, all the "Year of the PS3" bullcrap and they just couldn't keep their momentum. It started with the pricedrop effects, continued with the very succesfull MGS4 launch and the game had some legs and then Sony did.... nothing.
well, there is that whole profit thing that Sony's pretty dead set on.

Link said:

I think he's just being obtuse, it's pretty obvious that the PS3's YoY increase came from October-October, the only time the price's were different YoY, and down when the price was the same in November/December.

You also have to account for the Halo-bump and MGS4-bump if you're trying to create a realistic YoY sales analysis.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
lowrider007 said:
Interesting.

Score 1 for Private Hoffman!!!

hulot

Private Hoffman said:
If you put it that way..........it's quite clear, especially with value like this:

51x2r9.jpg

Arde5643

lowrider007 said:
Interesting.

The very fact you actually take any of PH's word/statistics/lies as truth says more about you than the rest of the posters here.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The DS sales are amazing. The Sony PR spin should be good.

:lol The gifs in this thread are awesome.

Opiate

I was a proponent of "YoY growth for PS3 is quite good" for a long time. January through September, that growth averaged over 100% YoY. It was particularly impressive for a system in third place -- typically, last place systems tend to begin sinking fairly rapidly, but the PS3 not only stuck around but grew significantly in that time frame.

But then a mediocre holiday period really took a bit out of that growth: YoY growth went from ~100% to 38% in three months. 38% growth is still growth, but it's not nearly what the PS3 was maintaining just a few months ago.

However, I expect PS3 to remain fully supported by third parties, as PS3/360 multiplatform strategy is effectively necessary to justify production cost.

Top Bottom