• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

zeloe326 said:
Is there anything really that surprising here. I don't really do NPD threads, but what is the big hoopla about?

360- 199
Wii - 249
PS3- 399

Isn't it obvious who would sell more. Maybe, I should just stay out of these NPD threads, not for me I guess.
Actually the PS3 is cheaper than the 360 because of all the hidden fees, where's that Sony chart at?

mood

The PS3 is going in the wrong direction...

And this all but assures long post release support for L4D on both platforms.

yoopoo

Banned
schuelma said:
TOP 10 FOR THE YEAR:

Top 10 Games of Calendar Year 2008

1. Wii Play w/ remote - Wii – Nintendo – 5.28 million
2. Mario Kart Wii w/ wheel – Wii – Nintendo – 5.00 million
3. Wii Fit w/ balance board – Wii – Nintendo – 4.53 million
4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Wii – Nintendo – 4.17 million
5. Grand Theft Auto IV - Xbox 360 – Take-Two – 3.29 million*
6. Call of Duty: World at War - Xbox 360 – Activision – 2.75 million*
7. Gears of War 2 - Xbox 360 – Microsoft – 2.31 million*
8. Grand Theft Auto IV - PS3 – Take-Two – 1.89 million*
9. Madden NFL '09 - Xbox 360 – Electronic Arts – 1.87 million*
10. Mario Kart - DS – Nintendo – 1.65 million

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/npd-nintendo-drives-08-industry-sales-past-21-billion-/?biz=1

Wii users don't buy games LOLZ
1up John was right...MK will end up selling more than both GTA 4s combined :O:O:O

Frankfurter said:
Is Wii the new official Guitar Hero machine or what? ~850k Guitar Hero World Tours, I said wow!

It was that way for GH:Aerosmith, I think. Fairly sure GH:3 ended up selling most on Wii as well.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Haunted said:
ea41uu.gif

:lol :lol Amazing.

doomed1 said:
well, for the first time, i'm on the first page of the NPD thread. edit: NOOOOOOO

What? You're on the first page.
Change your posting options to 100 per page, fool!

Aeon712

Resistance 2 is out of the top 10, hopefully Insomniac takes note...(R3 will be a L4D Clone) equipped with Chimerian Zombies >_<.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Nintendo should continue to hold back Wii supply until they have enough for a 10 million SKU sold next November/December. Just for the lulz.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I like how October sales came out, people said Wii Music bombed. I said wait for November. November sales came out, it sold well.

November sales came out, people said Animal Crossing bombed. I said wait for December. December sales came out, lolllllllzzzz to be had.

Jaruru

VALIS said:
2007 | 2008

Wii - 1.35m | 2.15m
Xbox 360 - 1.26m | 1.44m
PS3 - 797k | 726k

Awesome months for 360, Wii. Another year-over-year backslide for PS3. That console is in terrible shape right now.

Sony said those are only the early buyers. 3rd year and they're going downward....

GhaleonEB

SimpleDesign said:
Actually the PS3 is cheaper than the 360 because of all the hidden fees, where's that Sony chart at?
I'm sure it's incoming.

YoY changes are interesting, and similar to last month in terms of trend relative to last year.

RBH

Last year's December numbers in comparison:

DS – 2.47M
Wii – 1.35M
360 – 1.26M
PS2– 1.10M
PSP – 1.06M
PS3 – 797k

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
_leech_ said:
Can someone compare 2007 totals with 2008 totals? I think everything but the PS2 is up.

2007:

DS 8.430 mil
PSP 3.823 mil
360 4.618 mil
PS3 2.555 mil
Wii 6.289 mil

2008:

DS 9.951 mil
PSP 3.829 mil
360 4.735 mil
PS3 3.544 mil
Wii 10.171 mil

~Kinggi~

Banned
I remember earlier this year how the ps3 was turning it all around. They were convinced that Sony would from there on out outsell the 360 each month since 360 had no staying power. Oh my.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Valve has got to be pleased with Left 4 dead.

awesome sales.

Do I smell Counter-Strike 2 on consoles?

Not too surprising.

I'm more interested in software sales; specifically for Banjo, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, MotorStorm 2, Fable 2, Wii Music, etc.

I hope those numbers get released.

jman2050

I'm still flabbergasted at Mario Kart Wii's sales. Everything else you maybe could have seen coming. MKWii not at all, even moreso when you consider worldwide numbers.

Also interested in seeing how Pokemon finished.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So did Wii and/or DS break the previous best year held by PS2?

~Kinggi~ said:
I remember earlier this year how the ps3 was turning it all around. They were convinced that Sony would from there on out outsell the 360 each month since 360 had no staying power. Oh my.

It's amazing what a nice price drop will do for a console...

CiSTM

Banned
WII ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK 497K

Didn't see that at first look. It's good that this game is doing so well.

Wow @ Left 4 Dead, didn't expect to see that up there. Valve must be having a big circle jerk right about now.

Rest of the numbers look about what I expected, except the DS which is freakin' insane.

TJ Spyke

ghst said:
well. that was disappointing.

still, go go left 4 dead. by far the most successful new ip of the year [/spoiler]except wii fit
Technically Wii Fit is part of the "Wii ..." series (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Music, Wii Chess").

I have no doubt Wii would have sold more if they had more supplies.

Wow at the DS, the biggest month for a game system ever.

2008 was the year of the Wii, Nintendo had the 4 highest selling games of the year. :D

TheGreatDave, Harmonix has not done anything for Wii yet. Both Wii Rock Band games were done by Pi Games, not Harmonix.

RPS37

It's gotten really hard to tell how well real (tongue-in-cheek) games are doing when the only ones I see in the top 10 are: World at War, L4D, and GH:WT.

EDIT: Oops and Gears2

Top Bottom