• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

AmericanNinja said:
Playstation family once again out sold MS.

The goalposts just keep being moved.

Click said:
Sony didn't do anything wrong with PS3. People are just too cheap and/or poor to buy the more expensive, but more feature-packed PS3 compared to Wii and X360. But yet, they're willing to be ripped off by the likes of Apple and buy overpriced iPods and iPhones. Most of the hate against the PS3 stems from the fact that people don't have enough money or don't want to spend it to purchase the PS3, so they bash and troll to make themselves feel better about not having a good console and can't play the exclusive games that are on it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14360670&postcount=482

Haunted

Evilore said:
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 5.28M
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL 5.00M
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD 4.53M
WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL 4.17M
360 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV 3.29M*
360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 2.75M*
360 GEARS OF WAR 2 2.31M*
PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV 1.89M*
360 MADDEN NFL 09 1.87M*
NDS MARIO KART 1.65M

Holy fucking shit.

Linkhero1

RagnarokX said:
35hkdx4.gif
:lol :lol

FtsH

_leech_ said:
Holy shit...

360 up by 117,000.
PS3 up by 989,000.
Wii up by 3,882,000

All three seem to be doing really, really well. It's weird seeing that the 360 pretty much broke even when they had their price drop this year...

statistics is really a deep science :lol , now PS3 numbers look so healthy.

d+pad

Danthrax said:
at least Wii Music didn't chart :lol seems like half the other first-party games did, though

I wouldn't laugh just yet - I'm guessing it was in the top 20, which means it sold plenty of copies.

I'm just glad AC:CF made it into the top 10 :D

legend166

Geeze this thread is going slow. Come on GAF, I was expecting this to get me through work today. Someone have a meltdown or something.

Where's Tabris?

Anyone want to rant about how the Wii is destroying gaming? Anyone?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nice showing on PSP, the little fellow is hanging in there. I'd like to believe people bought so many of them just so they can play the awesomeness of SO2. But I highly doubt that :(

Also, is 3 mill for DS the record of single month sales of a game system?

Its amazing how Dec. '07 was higher than Dec. '08 for the PS3. What happened to the year of the PS3?

The Wii on the other hand...holy fuck

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
legend166 said:

I would, but I just came off a one month ban from the November NPD thread so I'll lay off.

methane47

RagnarokX said:

LOLOL awesome :lol

Oxymoron said:
A valiant effort at spinning.

You didn't quite pull it off, though.

not trying to spin just i was painfully oblivious to what everyone was expecting..
I thought everyone WAS expecting 700k for the ps3... Didn't know that it was really bad that the sold only that.

manueldelalas said:
PS Family = 2.156 M
Wii = 2.150 M

OMG!!! PS family > Wii!!

Something tells me their PR will actually not be that different from the post lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The NDS captures the top-spot for hardware sales this month, marking the first time that any hardware system has sold in excess of 3 million units in any single month."
Rising to the Heavens indeed

dkeane

NDS MARIO KART 1.65M
That's just this year? Legs!

And it's good to see that Smash Brothers continued selling.

Insane numbers all around.

Link

The Autumn Wind
AmericanNinja said:
Playstation family once again out sold MS.

lol @ all the doomsday PS3 posts you all are something else :p:lol
You're not allowed to laugh at anyone after that "PlayStation Family" comment.

Sadist

legend166 said:
Geeze this thread is going slow. Come on GAF, I was expecting this to get me through work today. Someone have a meltdown or something.

Where's Tabris?

The soldiers are worn out.

GhaleonEB

_leech_ said:
Holy shit...

360 up by 117,000.
PS3 up by 989,000.
Wii up by 3,882,000

All three seem to be doing really, really well. It's weird seeing that the 360 pretty much broke even when they had their price drop this year...
360 did great in the fall/holidays, but really badly the first 2/3 of the year. It's similar to the year before. That's one of the things I wonder about for 2009 - how can MS keep their sales up before the holidays?

Mastperf

PS3 limped into 08 and it limps into 09. Gotta give credit where it due...it impressive to see something bleed that long without dying.

HylianTom

Banned
Insane Metal said:
Wow.

The PS3 is in a delicate position.

It's way too expensive, but the actual financial position from Sony won't allow a price cut in the near future.

The future unfortunately is black for the PS3.

Hmm.. I think you mean red. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Private Hoffman said:
Not too surprising.

Uh Huh

You going to tell me with a straight face that after June/July 08 you would have predicted that PS3 would A) sell less this December than last and B) get outsold by about 700K compared to 360?

Right

CiSTM

Banned
LTD numbers for WiiFit (USA) ? Is there any info about what kind of revenues Wii Fit is making for Nintendo ?

Tom Penny

zeloe326 said:
Is there anything really that surprising here. I don't really do NPD threads, but what is the big hoopla about?

360- 199
Wii - 249
PS3- 399

Isn't it obvious who would sell more. Maybe, I should just stay out of these NPD threads, not for me I guess.

That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell at least between the PS3 and X360. Wii is just a juggernaut.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
TouchMyBox said:
over 700k is horrible now? :(
It's not the number, it's more that it sold less than the previous December, while the other platforms all managed to exceed the previous year's Dec sales.

methane47 said:
LOLOL awesome :lol

not trying to spin just i was painfully oblivious to what everyone was expecting..
I thought everyone WAS expecting 700k for the ps3... Didn't know that it was really bad that the sold only that.

Exactly, because everybody was expecting the worse escenario of PS3 sales.

It sold less than last year, which they were bad back then...

zeloe326

Mastperf said:
PS3 limped into 08 and it limps into 09. Gotta give credit where it due...it impressive to see something bleed that long without dying.
:lol

You guys are hilarious. Your not serious right?

Its so sad that a MGS4 didn't chart for the year. I mean really. Best game released all year, and it couldn't beat out something like Madden, or Wii Play

Yeah I understand why. There no need to attack this post with you incredible gaming market knowledge

EDIT: I also find it gross that Guitar Hero and World at War are on that list.

Opiate

Points of interest:

1) Wii sells significantly less than would be expected of a system that sold 2.1 million in November. Clearly this is an issue of supply, but whatever the cause, the problem is there.

2) Every single game the top 10 on PS3/360 is a shooter. Expect this genre to continue to dominate those platforms.

3) Four of the five Wii games in the top 10 are developed by Nintendo.

4) Mario Kart DS re-enters the top 10 in its

5) Looking at the top 10 titles of the year, the top 4 are all for Wii.

6) Of the PS3/360 titles in the top 10 for the year, all are shooters save Madden at number 9.

Edit: corrected by Sadist on point number 3.

TJ Spyke

CiSTM said:
LTD numbers for WiiFit (USA) ? Is there any info about what kind of revenues Wii Fit is making for Nintendo ?

Um, the game came out this year. So the 2008 sales (listed in the OP) is the LTD too.

opiate, take a look at the top 10 again. Nintendo did not develop Guitar Hero World Tour.

Insane Metal said:
Wow.

The PS3 is in a delicate position.

It's way too expensive, but the actual financial position from Sony won't allow a price cut in the near future.

The future unfortunately is black for the PS3.
their future looks red to me

Top Bottom