• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Road said:
I don't think NPD is combining Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus, but GH3 and San Andreas are good guesses. Thanks.

The "~" by the way doesn't refer to guesses, it refers to rounding which I am doing because we are not permitted to post NPD data and I have no desire to post data that would get anyone in trouble. The data on those is LTD from the last time there was a public forum leak of data--I do not have access to any non-public leaks or access to raw NPD data.

1-D_FTW

All this Silent Hill talk made me go to Gametrailers and watch the review on it. Didn't even know the game was released or what it was like, but I'm sold now. Will pick it up on the cheap.

People really can't be pissed about sales. I post on gaf and I didn't even really now the game existed, let alone got released and was really good. What do they expect from a game with no buzz or marketing?

sillymonkey321 said:
You people are in some bizarro world where third party wii efforts are no longer " good" no matter what they are.

Meh, personally I've always said EA Sports Active is a good game and is an example of what third-party developers SHOULD be doing -- the game is well-made and well-marketed.

But it's obvious that those kinds of efforts are few and far between on Wii. It's not even a question.

Whether they SHOULD is what the discussion is really about. Obviously third parties don't have the competencies to compete with Nintendo right now. The question is whether they should start developing them or face the realities of downsizing and accepting a more niche status in the overall market than they had before.

markot

Banned
You guys just dont get it, these Third Party execs know what they are doing, whats why their companies are making such huge prof.... well... Thats why their personal paychecks are so big!

Shadowlink said:
Holy Shit at the Wii sales.

No kidding! I thought that 3 million was going to be high! :lol

Also, quite the rebound for Bowser's Inside Story! It actually sold more than it did in its launch month!

boiled goose

good with gravy
bmf said:
It's a Mickey Mouse game, which is really only one step removed from a Mario game. Therefore it won't count.

Why are we even talking about epic mickey?
We don't even know if it will be a quality game or not... :/

UFRA

LOL @ The Lord of the Rings NPD ^^^ :lol :lol :lol

Edit: wow the pages add on fast...well, post 402 is what I was referring to.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
EA Sports Active has sold very well. I don't think that's the best example of 3rd party failure you can use.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Attack You said:
Honestly, I forgot to not combine SKUs of other top-sellers in my mind when I asked that.

Mario Kart Wii is currently the fifth best selling game of all time if you combine SKUs or ~tied for second if you don't. It eclipses every other "racer" in history. It will continue to do so.

Yes, it is safe that it'll be the best-selling racer this gen

My grandparents, who have never played a game in their entire life, don't own a computer and go to the library to read e-mail, and don't have cable, and are also pushing 80 bought a fucking NINTENDO WII over Christmas because "it looked like fun."

Got damn, Nintendo.

AceBandage said:
A spin off collectathon that is decent (but not great) in quality? Well, I dunno, ask the millions that didn't buy Nuts and Bolts.

Sorry dude, you just don't get to do this with every single third party game that isn't a port and still walk away with your point made in any way relevant. We'll see how Monster Hunter 3 does, and if Nintendo does give it a big push. Past that point, the excuse well should have completely dried up. Congrats to Nintendo for finally forging the market theyve always wanted (complete 1st party success and dependance), but don't expect third parties to particularly care beyond casual aimed stuff.

FrankT

As far as the Reggie thing goes who knows. I think it is safe to assume another 500k for MW2 360 this month. That would put the gap at 2.1 million. Could NSMB do that this month? Yea it might. Either way should be fun.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
chuckddd said:
We all knew the Wii was over 3 million and yet that number is still shocking.

Well, when a company says 'over 3m' you think...maybe 3.0-3.1m? Maybe 3.2m? You don't think 3.8m :lol With a number like that they could have said 'nearly 4m' (although it might have primed expectations the wrong way).

boiled goose

good with gravy
timetokill said:
Meh, personally I've always said EA Sports Active is a good game and is an example of what third-party developers SHOULD be doing -- the game is well-made and well-marketed.

But it's obvious that those kinds of efforts are few and far between on Wii. It's not even a question.

Whether they SHOULD is what the discussion is really about. Obviously third parties don't have the competencies to compete with Nintendo right now. The question is whether they should start developing them or face the realities of downsizing and accepting a more niche status in the overall market than they had before.

too late.
Who the fuck nows what can be done now.

Deku

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Some 3rd party games should be dragged along for the ride by sheer volume surely? Something like 1 in 25 new Wii owners would have to purchase a specific game last month for it to break 100k.

They haven't been?

schuelma

Its amazing how the Wii can still get more criticism in this thread than any other console when it just sold nearly 4 million units.

Unreal.

cvxfreak

NSMB Wii would have done even better, perhaps twice as much, if the game also hadn't been too busy tearing up Japan's charts.

Road

Stumpokapow said:
The "~" by the way doesn't refer to guesses, it refers to rounding which I am doing because we are not permitted to post NPD data and I have no desire to post data that would get anyone in trouble. The data on those is LTD from the last time there was a public forum leak of data--I do not have access to any non-public leaks or access to raw NPD data.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply you were randomly guessing. I should have worded myself better. Sorry.

Anyway, thanks for the numbers.

NeoUltima

AceBandage said:
Seems like such a simple concept that only Nintendo can grasp...
Having "Nintendo", "Wii", and "Mario" on their games certainly helps. Third parties just can't compete with brands like that...If you make a hardcore game on the Wii...it won't sell. If you make a casual game, even if its good, Nintendo will still one up you 95% of the time. There is no way they can create casual games that can compete with the Nintendo's brand image and selling power. EA Sports Active is one good example...Review-wise I believe it did better(or similarly) than Wii Fit, but it never lit up the sales charts. Raving Rabbids is another example.

Yes, Nintendo deserves it though.

edit: Epic Mickey does have a chance at monster success though, as it has the power of a brand and icon not too unlike Nintendo and Mario. Regardless, as long as its a good game, it will do well, maybe not NSMBW well, but we'll see.

vazel

Banned
So this explains the pages timing out. How do people always know to come to gaf at just the right time? Is NPD released on the 14th every month?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AceBandage said:
If they were good, then third parties wouldn't be having so much trouble succeeding on the Wii...
Can you go 5 minutes without posting a logical fallacy?

A spin off collectathon that is decent (but not great) in quality? Well, I dunno, ask the millions that didn't buy Nuts and Bolts.
See, this is what I'm talking about. No matter what game releases or how it sells, you'll always throw out excuse after excuse.

schuelma

NeoUltima said:
EA Sports Active is one good example...Review-wise I believe it did better(or similarly) than Wii Fit, but it never lit up the sales charts. .

It's over a million LTD in the U.S alone. I'd say that's a success for EA given the likely development costs, etc.

Lillster

Banned
Ladies and gentlemen, we are now at the dawn of a Nintendo golden age.

The 'True' golden age (the one where Nintendo can compete on a technological scale and 3rd parties pledge full support to the platform) is very close my Nintendo brethren, Yamauchi has foreseen this. Also Yamauchi says 3rd paries will suffer greatly for their desertion.

May the way of the Nintendo fanboy lead to enlightenment.

legend166 said:
Yeah, I read that and thought, "In what universe will there be any competition?"

I'm wondering how GT5 will do in comparison to Mario Kart. It probably cost 10X more to develop than mario kart yet it will be lucky to get half the sales of Mario Kart.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Road said:
Oh, I didn't mean to imply you were randomly guessing. I should have worded myself better. Sorry.

Anyway, thanks for the numbers.

No offense implied, I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't just pulling stuff out of thin air. NPD threads move quick and I figured I'd clarify as soon as I humanly could ;)

schuelma said:
Its amazing how the Wii can still get more criticism in this thread than any other console when it just sold nearly 4 million units.

Unreal.

You've been around for long enough.

The quality scale for sales discussion on the internet:
GAF MC threads on regular weeks >
GAF MC threads on bad weeks >
GAF NPD threads on regular months >
"Orbital" GAF sales age threads--publisher sales claims, discussions on million sellers, PR pissing matches >
GAF NPD threads on spectacular months >
Sales discussion anywhere else on the internet.

schuelma

Re: Rabbids- I expect it to do similarly to the last couple of entries in the franchise. I think its unrealistic to expect much more given that its a yearly installment and from the outside looks exactly like the other 3 games in the series.

Lillster said:
Ladies and gentlemen, we are now at the dawn of a Nintendo golden age.

The 'True' golden age (the one where Nintendo can compete on a technological scale and 3rd parties pledge full support to the platform) is very close my Nintendo brethren, Yamauchi has foreseen this. Also Yamauchi says 3rd paries will suffer greatly for their desertion.

May the way of the Nintendo fanboy lead to enlightenment.
I'm on team Nintendo, but you're a jackass.

Deku said:
They haven't been?

I'm saying they should.

We don't have the numbers. There should be a healthy handful of Wii 3rd party games filling out the 75k-200k range, especially in a month like this.

boiled goose

good with gravy
SecretBonusPoint said:
Sorry dude, you just don't get to do this with every single third party game that isn't a port and still walk away with your point made in any way relevant. We'll see how Monster Hunter 3 does, and if Nintendo does give it a big push. Past that point, the excuse well should have completely dried up. Congrats to Nintendo for finally forging the market theyve always wanted (complete 1st party success and dependance), but don't expect third parties to particularly care beyond casual aimed stuff.

ignore Acebandage's butthurtedness.

Rabbids go home will do over a million WW just like the other rabbids games.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
schuelma said:

Unreal.
Now now, you know very well that there is a difference between criticizing Nintendo itself and getting into arguments with their idiot fanboys. ;)

SecretBonusPoint said:

But that's just it, isn't it?
Every "big" third party game on the Wii isn't even a hundreth of the game that is a hit on the 360/PS3.
I mean, you have Dead Space vs Extraction.
Dead Rising vs Chop Till You Drop.
Assassin's Creed vs Rabbids Go Home.

Third parties don't get why their crap fails, yet everyone with half a brains sees it a mile away.

amtentori said:
ignore Acebandage's butthurtedness.

Rabbids go home will do over a million WW just like the other rabbids games.

I wouldn't be "butthurt" if third parties would just admit they fucked up and then shut up forever.

1-D_FTW

schuelma said:
It's over a million LTD in the U.S alone. I'd say that's a success for EA given the likely development costs, etc.

You got that right. There's no way EA is disappointed in that title. Small budget + million sales = Cha-ching.

schuelma

Sho_Nuff82 said:
We don't have the numbers. There should be a healthy handful of Wii 3rd party games filling out the 75k-200k range, especially in a month like this.

I imagine there will be.

[Nintex]

schuelma said:

Unreal.
I remember when I turned in my GameCube 'jacket' when the PS2 and Xbox outsold it.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
grandjedi6 said:
See, this is what I'm talking about. No matter what game releases or how it sells, you'll always throw out excuse after excuse.

Can you explain what's wrong with this particular excuse, though?

If Rabbids Go Home was on any other system than Wii, would we be having this discussion?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
schuelma said:
Re: Rabbids- I expect it to do similarly to the last couple of entries in the franchise. I think its unrealistic to expect much more given that its a yearly installment and from the outside looks exactly like the other 3 games in the series.

I think you're correct to argue that most potential purchasers are not going to realize that Rabbids Go Home is a different type of game than Rayman Raving Rabbids. I'm not sure how that'll reflect in overall sales because I don't know what the exact breakdown between informed and non-informed customers are and Ubisoft games tend to tank in price even more severely than other publishers so I don't think word of mouth will impact sales as much as it might for another hidden gem elsewhere.

Zachack

schuelma said:

Unreal.
Well, I look at the Top 10 and see a million units of Wii Play and not-a-million units of Super Mario Galaxy. It's disgraceful.

legend166

grandjedi6 said:
Then why doesn't Rabbids Go Home count?

Well, the only sales information we have on Rabbids Go Home is that it hung around number 20 on the UK charts pretty much all through December, debuted in the top 5 in Australia, and was described by an Ubisoft exec. as "taking off". Soooooooooooo.

Grecco

schuelma said:
EA Sports Active has sold very well. I don't think that's the best example of 3rd party failure you can use.

Yes EA sports Active sold very well.

Dont know how the pseudo sequel did though. I bought the first one (And still use it) but havent bought "More Workouts"

Calcaneus

Jesus, guys, there's already been like a million Wii third party threads this month. Not saying you guys shouldn't be discussing it, but man its like literally the same argument again.

Top Bottom