• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wii
o0j0y.jpg

DS
2ext455.jpg

Playstation 3
dd0vnr.jpg

Xbox 360
3449ksh.jpg

PSP
23jia9s.jpg

Playstation 2
11bnsqv.jpg

LCGeek

formerly sane
K.Jack said:
Shit there's still GAF members who have never owned one!

Is that sad?

Not at all I just want a black or blue version of Wii. I've had my fill of the system and I only get to play it when I'm with family. Give me my pc and 360XIM ownage it's more than enough to hold me over till I get a Wii and PS3.

TheChaos

Balb said:
The weak PSP sales are discouraging. I think it's time for a successor, despite what some stubborn NeoGAF users think. The software sales have been abysmal for a long time and the hardware sales have slowed down significantly.

I don't know. Western Devs treat handhelds like the Black Plague. It goes to show how crazy the DS is a huge success despite very little help from prominent Western Devs. Unless you like Japanese-made games, the PSP is a lost cause.

Jigsaw said:
he was asked "even the 360 version?" and he said "yes,i think so" or something like that
this is totally stupid and i can't believe it's being discussed again but it sounded to me like he was saying something like "outsell one version in the us through january? yes, I definitely think so" and geoff interrupted him in the middle to say, "you mean on the 360?!?!" and reggie just kept on talking so geoff took that as an answer

but anyway it's dumb because it was reggie giving a bullshit video game company pr response to a stupid video game non-journalist question, so the fact that people honestly want to prove him wrong or right is pathetic

Sadist

legend166 said:
I'm sorry, but at this point; I mean when a console sells 3.8 million pieces of hardware in a month, the conversation must shift from "Oh, poor 3rd parties can't sell any software on the Wii" to "Just how damn retarded are these people that they can't sell software on the Wii?"
This is going to be a looooong thread.

I agree though

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jigsaw said:
he was asked "even the 360 version?" and he said "yes,i think so" or something like that

and no he is not going to win it as the bet ends next npd,so nsmb need to sell like another 2 million in january

Well, it's already outsold the PS3 version and it'll obviously continue to, so I think we can make a fair assumption that he wins if that's the bet. You've also implicitly granted the idea that NSMBWii is going to outsell MW2 in January. You've also implicitly granted the idea that NSMBWii will eventually outsell MW2 360 in the US.

You are correct in that it does seem likely that by the end of January, NSMBWii will have a marginally lower US LTD than MW2 360.

I think that might be a Pyrrhic victory if you were really rooting against Reggie, though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Angelus Errare said:
Wait, PS3 outsold 360 for the year? Why don't I believe that?

I don't think it did...I think there's a ~400k difference or something like that YTD. It's outsold 360 since Slim but that's another story.

sphinx

the piano man
TSA said:
Where art thou, Spirit Tracks? Sales are tailing off way below Phantom Hourglass' numbers in Japan, and it doesn't look like Spirit Tracks will come anywhere close to Phantom Hourglass' numbers here in North America.

this.

and do we know the sales of Silent hill Wii?

Parl

Attack You said:
Mario Kart Wii is ricockulous. I hardly see used copies floating about. Is that destined to be the best selling racer this gen?
It's already the best selling racer of all time.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Bluemercury said:
i dont think that's nintendo fault to be honest.....

Nintendo deserves the success they have, their history and values are quite important. Plus they have courage to take risks and do what isn't cool.

It's nice to see a game company with balls for a change. Gives the market some variety, which is obviously greatly appreciated.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Somebody has to post that foreign magazine's "Death of Nintendo" cover. I just seems so appropriate after this month's NPD numbers. I can't find it anywhere.

Also, it seems like the more news about 3rd parties leaving Nintendo, the better Nintendo does.

Banned
gofreak said:
My musings were about Slim's performance...the whole point of slim was to push more hardware and make them more competitive (with the obvious knock-on for total software and so on).

Re. Europe, MS claimed they were 1m clear right at the end of August. Which is handy for post-Slim comparisons.

So I factor in a gap of 1m there.

IF Sony closed that gap since Slim's launch in Europe...which is maybe possible...then the WW gap shrank by 35% since slim's launch.

(US gap at end of August was 7,653,400 in 360's favour. Japan gap was 2,166,105 in PS3's favour. For a net gap of 5,487,295 in those territories. Gap is now 4,202,228 - reduction of 1,285,067 (23.4%). Don't worry though...the rate of change will slow considerably now we're out of the holiday :p)

Still dont see how you get the European numbers? Also, Hardware means nothing.

Paracelsus

elrechazao said:
Because it didn't happen? The chart above your post is conjecturefail.

It's NPD thread so I don't know why he said that here, but I guess it's pretty safe to say that PS3 ww YTD > 360's, although not by much.

boiled goose

good with gravy
legend166 said:
I'm sorry, but at this point; I mean when a console sells 3.8 million pieces of hardware in a month, the conversation must shift from "Oh, poor 3rd parties can't sell any software on the Wii" to "Just how damn retarded are these people that they can't sell software on the Wii?"

Or at least get big hits. I'm sure total third party software is ok.

Road

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26821/NPD_US_Game_Market_Declines_8_In_2009.php

2009 Top 10:

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward, Activision), Xbox 360
2. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo), Wii
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo), Wii
4. Wii Fit (Nintendo), Wii
5. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo), Wii
6. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo), Wii
7. Wii Play (Nintendo), Wii
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward, Activision), PlayStation 3
9. Halo 3: ODST (Bungie, Microsoft), Xbox 360
10. Pokemon Platinum Version (Nintendo), NDS

timetokill said:
Ubisoft: "Yeah, uh... like I said, we are going to focus on the 360/PS3, and .. wait, more than both of them combined? Well, that's just... fuck"

Hardware sales on the Wii are almost irrelevant to third parties at this point.

The hardware is driven almost entirely by Nintendo exclusive titles, and third parties haven't had much success at all with the rather fickle Wii audience.

In Ubisoft's case, they're best serving the PS360 demographic, as they are a bit more reliable/predictable when it comes to sales of blockbuster titles like Assassin's Creed 2.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Attack You said:
Mario Kart Wii is ricockulous. I hardly see used copies floating about. Is that destined to be the best selling racer this gen?

If not for Wii Play it'd be the best selling game this gen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Karma said:
Still dont see how you get the European numbers? Also, Hardware means nothing.

Well if software's important to you, then hardware does ultimately mean something - more users = more software sold with all the other knock-on effects that has.

And if you don't care, why you questioning me on it? :p

But the Euro gap comes from MS. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35663/360-1m-ahead-of-PS3-in-Europe That was right at the beginning of Sept, so it let's us get a pretty good idea of the WW difference in sales up to Slim's launch (factoring in NPD + MC).

Owzers

AceBandage said:
You know, I'm not asking for Dead Space or Assassin's Creed on the Wii.
I'm just asking for more than Petz and EA Active...

I mean, like I said before. Nintendo releases quality games that appeal to everyone. Third parties release shit aimed at retarded monkeys.
They don't have to make hardcore games, just good games that are aimed at everyone.
Seems like such a simple concept that only Nintendo can grasp...

What's wrong with EA Active?

"1UP

I am happy to say that EA Sports Active finally bridges the gap between house and gym, earning it top honors as the best exercise game currently out for the Wii."

You people are in some bizarro world where third party wii efforts are no longer " good" no matter what they are.

grandjedi6 said:
Listen, while 3rd parties could have definitely had a stronger lineup for the Wii, whatever hypothetical game you're thinking of wouldn't have done as well as you seem to think. There aren't a legion of secret hardcore gamers just waiting patiently for someone to release a so-called "real" game on the Wii.

I don't think that's true. Yes there isn't a legion of secret hardcore gamers, but there IS a legion of people willing to buy quality games if its sold to them properly.

Think of it this way -- if Wii is only selling to hardcore Nintendo fans and casuals disinterested in hardcore gaming the likes of which thrives on PS3 and 360 -- why are Nintendo games doing so well? If you say its because of Nintendo fans - where were they last generation as Nintendo floundered with the Gamecube? If you say its because of the casuals - why are they buying quality Nintendo games but not third party games?

Not a single third party publisher has put an exciting flagship hardcore series on the Wii, in an instance where it wasn't a port or a shitty spin off. ASIDE from maybe DQ and MH3. They treat the Wii cheaply because they see it and its audience as cheap -- and that as Yoda would say, is why they fail.

Nintendo just weren't able to move this much hardware AND software last generation. They're doing something right on both fronts here that the other manufacturers and third party publishers aren't.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
bmf said:
It doesn't count. It's a Mickey Mouse game.
appeals to the hardcore spectorites and the lamecore daddymums. the perfect test!!!!!

Chrange said:
They could try dropping the price on it. For crying out loud it launched at $299 and $399, and while what you get has changed pretty drastically, the price hasn't actually dropped all that much - $100 over the course of what's coming up on five years.

The PS3 launched here in Canada for $660 (I never saw a $499 20 GB unit here - maybe they didn't ship them up North?) and now you can get one for $299. If Microsoft was that ruthless with their pricing, maybe they'd be selling more.

To be fair, Canadian launch price was 399/499, and the Elite launch price was 599 (549 at Walmart, which is where I got mine). PS3 launched at 599/699. Both have dropped to 299 now. So its not like they havent been slashing prices. I think Sony gave us price parity at 399 before MS though.

Jtyettis said:
YoYs;

X360 4,735,400
PS3 3,544,900
Wii 10,151,000

X360 4770700
PS3 4325000
Wii 9584000

The Wii's Dec alone almost made up for it's slump this year. The PS3's sales from this year to next will be most interesting to watch. MS should be looking at atleast 6mil from 2010 with Natal/Reach/Price cut.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Road said:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/01/december-npd-the-nintendo-that-stole-christmas/

MW2 has sold 8.8 million between PS3 and 360 alone. Wii Play is above it, but what else?

If you're combining platforms, shit gets fucked, but I'll answer anyway.

Best-selling console games of all time, COMBINING SKUs:
Wii Play - 12.5 million
Wii Fit + Wii Fit Plus - 11.5 million
Guitar Hero 3 (* excludes PC/Mac) - ~10.1 million between PS2, Wii, PS3, 360
San Andreas (* excludes PC and Double Pack sales) - ~9.6 million between PS2 and Xbox, 8.5 million on PS2 alone.
MW2 (* excludes PC) - 8.8 million
Mario Kart Wii - ~8-8.1 million
Wii Fit - 8 million

I'm assuming they are saying Wii Play > GH3 > San Andreas > MW2 > MKWii as their top 5 as presented.

Road said:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26821/NPD_US_Game_Market_Declines_8_In_2009.php

2009 Top 10:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AceBandage said:
You know, I'm not asking for Dead Space or Assassin's Creed on the Wii.
I'm just asking for more than Petz and EA Active...

I mean, like I said before. Nintendo releases quality games that appeal to everyone. Third parties release shit aimed at retarded monkeys.
They don't have to make hardcore games, just good games that are aimed at everyone.
Seems like such a simple concept that only Nintendo can grasp...
Then why doesn't Rabbids Go Home count?

sillymonkey321 said:

"1UP

I am happy to say that EA Sports Active finally bridges the gap between house and gym, earning it top honors as the best exercise game currently out for the Wii."

You people are in some bizarro world where third party wii efforts are no longer " good" no matter what they are.

If they were good, then third parties wouldn't be having so much trouble succeeding on the Wii...

grandjedi6 said:

A spin off collectathon that is decent (but not great) in quality? Well, I dunno, ask the millions that didn't buy Nuts and Bolts.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cooljeanius said:
Adding up this month and last month, we get:

COD360 LTD: 5.83M
NSMB Wii LTD: 4.21M
CODPS3 LTD: 2.99M

So NSMB has already overtaken CODPS3 and still has a chance to overtake COD360 by the end of January.

Oh man. I can't wait until January NPDs and someone bumps that thread. Epic crow-servage for all. :lol

boiled goose

good with gravy
sillymonkey321 said:

"1UP

EA sports active sold quite well I believe.
Supposed to be a solid game.

grandjedi6 said:

It counts. I'm sure it sold quite well in December. Supposed to be a quality game, but lets not pretend that this katamari clone that was born from a spinoff franchise is AC...

Road

Stumpokapow said:
If you're combining platforms, shit gets fucked.

Wii Play - 12.5 million
Wii Fit + Wii Fit Plus - 11.5 million
Guitar Hero 3 (* excludes PC/Mac) - ~10.1 million between PS2, Wii, PS3, 360
San Andreas (* excludes PC and Double Pack sales) - ~9.6 million between PS2 and Xbox, 8.5 million on PS2 alone.
MW2 (* excludes PC) - 8.8 million
Mario Kart Wii - ~8-8.1 million
Wii Fit - 8 million
MW1 (* excludes PC) - ~7.3 million between 360 and PS3
I don't think NPD is combining Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus, but GH3 and San Andreas are good guesses. Thanks.

Road said:

2009 Top 10:

Daaaaayum

Dipswitch

I'm guessing there is much gnashing of teeth among the third party publishers who are seemingly unable to crack a market that just grew by almost 4 million families last month alone.

Top Bottom