• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

Currently Active Users: 5366 (1967 members and 3399 guests)
:')

tabus12.png

npd.png

And for those who missed it:

npd12.png

-viper-

Banned
jett said:
How exactly do you know this? It sold 550k in October, and seemingly less than 100k in November. Doesn't seem likely. The average PS3 owner is a stupid cocksmoker.
This is true.

The only games that those I personally know with a PS3 have bought MW2 and FIFA 10 in the last 6 months.

Banned
gofreak said:
End-of-year Slim musings:

Sony's pared nearly a quarter off of 360's lead (combining US and Japan) since Slim's launch.

Pared 150k off the US lead since Sept :lol 2.88m Slims vs 2.73m 360s.

WW, inc Europe, they may have taken up to 35% off of 360's lead.

Not bad at all for a few months (albeit a few holiday months).

How do you know the numbers in Europe? Also, Software and profit is the only numbers that matter.

Ridley327

Stumpokapow said:
Let's be clear that I don't have this month's NPD numbers. I have no magic leak and I certainly don't have a subscription.

That being said, I feel incredibly confident in asking you--are you sure you want Silent Hill numbers?

Well, they do say that the equation for comedy is tragedy plus time. Maybe we'll laugh at them together some day...

:-(

Road

These are the LTD I have. Wii Fit is missing December.

[WII] Wii Play with Remote - 12,500,000
[WII] Mario Kart Wii - 8,136,100
[WII] Wii Fit - 8,030,000
[WII] Wii Sports Resort - 4,529,300
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 4,210,000
[WII] Wii Fit Plus - 3,530,000

Cruzader

Banned
gofreak said:
End-of-year Slim musings:

Sony's pared nearly a quarter off of 360's lead (combining US and Japan) since Slim's launch.

Pared 150k off the US lead since Sept :lol 2.88m Slims vs 2.73m 360s.

WW, inc Europe, they may have taken up to 35% off of 360's lead.

Not bad at all for a few months (albeit a few holiday months).

Hey since you more informed about this stuff, will Sony meet that deadline they had that ppls thought they were out of their minds? Like 33M WW or something hardware?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kandrick said:
And the xbox 360 came out way before the PS3, so it selling as much as it is right now is a success for Microsoft anyway.

This really is not either good or bad news for Microsoft. It's true that in most generations, most consoles are past their prime as they head into year 5; the PS1 on the other hand was a slow burner and had sales spike much later that usual. I don't think it's safe to assume that Microsoft sales "should" be slowing down a year before Sony sales do, though.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Zoramon089 said:
Is there any way to even explain the Wii's sales? I mean, does Nintendo even know why it's such a beast?! How is it possible! 3rd parties must be banging their head trying to tap into that, they must be! No matter how much they claim to be done with the Wii, how can they see these sales and not want some of that?!

Simple.

PS3 and 360 sell to gamers. Wii and DS sell to people. There are far more people than gamers.

axiomnightmare said:
Well, review score difference between Rabbids and Mario Kart is only 2%, so you can't really argue the quality difference aspect.

No, but you're also trying to compare a long running franchise that has constantly been great and well selling, to one that is a spin off of a spin off that probably didn't even get a 10th of the marketing or budget.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Road said:
These are the LTD I have. Wii Fit is missing December.

[WII] Wii Play with Remote - 12,479,100
[WII] Mario Kart Wii - 8,136,100
[WII] Wii Fit - 8,030,000
[WII] Wii Sports Resort - 4,529,300
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 4,210,000
[WII] Wii Fit Plus - 3,530,000

Wii Fit did not move substantial amount of product in December. The game was immediately discontinued from print and aggressive discounting and channel starving occurred when Wii Fit Plus was released.

Remember that since Wii Fit was not released stand-alone, the channel management for it was fairly tight and so if Nintendo wanted to starve stock in preparation for the handoff to Wii Fit Plus it would have been quite easy to do so.

I would assume the sales were low-mid 5 digits, but to be safe it's fair to say "below 100k".

axiomnightmare

Neo Member
AceBandage said:
No, but you're also trying to compare a long running franchise that has constantly been great and well selling, to one that is a spin off of a spin off that probably didn't even get a 10th of the marketing or budget.
Agreed, but objectively the fact remains.

Sipowicz

Banned
Puck said:
Big month in sales, everyone should be happy.

Should put away the Wii HD rumors because "Wii sales have dropped significantly" (according to most journalists / analysts) bullshit for a while.

1up/IGN/gametrailers/Kotaku et al must be crushed. poor fanboys

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
bucklam66 said:
Wow, Wii is just, some 3rd party software has to sell sometime on wii, right?

No...

Third party software doesn't need to sell anywhere.

Complete fallacy, games are games period. First, second or third party, who cares really? It's a ridiculous qualifier to begin with.

andymcc

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
Anybody with the full numbers know if enough people broke street date with Bayonetta that we got some numbers for it?

this is the most important question in this thread.

boiled goose

good with gravy
X26 said:
It can only mean good things when the market leader is only spreading the wealth to themsleves

Yup. They are trying really hard to keep it to themselves. So hard, that they are even preventing third parties from releasing quality software on the system.

Nintendo is truly evil and greedy. Poor third parties.

Jigsaw

Banned
Grecco said:
IIRC he never did. Even if he did, hes going to win that one too.

he was asked "even the 360 version?" and he said "yes,i think so" or something like that

and no he is not going to win it as the bet ends next npd,so nsmb need to sell like another 2 million in january

feel

Nice all around. The end of this year should be incredible if Sony and MS market their motion stuff well.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AceBandage said:
Exactly...
Listen, while 3rd parties could have definitely had a stronger lineup for the Wii, whatever hypothetical game you're thinking of wouldn't have done as well as you seem to think. There aren't a legion of secret hardcore gamers just waiting patiently for someone to release a so-called "real" game on the Wii.

Dipswitch

Holy mother of God @ Wii and DS sales. Who the fuck is still buying all of these?? I figured every household in American had at least two (each) of them already by now. :lol

Also, props to Sony for outselling the 360. They've staged a good comeback this year. Kudos.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Jigsaw said:
he was asked "even the 360 version?" and he said "yes,i think so" or something like that

and no he is not going to win it as the bet ends next npd,so nsmb need to sell like another 2 million in january
You seem mad. What will you do if he does win?

3rdtransgaf.png

o dear i hope not this?

Tiktaalik

Stumpokapow said:
I don't know; would you say Apple probably shouldn't have upstaged the classic iPod with the iPod Touch / iPhone? I wouldn't say Nintendo intends to rest on their laurels until the hardware sales bleed dry. ;)

I agree. I don't think just because the Wii is selling well means anything about what Nintendo may or may not release in the future. Nintendo seems to have been proactive in releasing new iterations of the DS early and that's clearly worked out well for them in terms of keeping sales strong.

Where art thou, Spirit Tracks? Sales are tailing off way below Phantom Hourglass' numbers in Japan, and it doesn't look like Spirit Tracks will come anywhere close to Phantom Hourglass' numbers here in North America.

Mario Kart Wii is ricockulous. I hardly see used copies floating about. Is that destined to be the best selling racer this gen?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
grandjedi6 said:
Listen, while 3rd parties could have definitely had a stronger lineup for the Wii, whatever hypothetical game you're thinking of wouldn't have done as well as you seem to think. There aren't a legion of secret hardcore gamers just waiting patiently for someone to release a so-called "real" game on the Wii.
wai fo epic mickey

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Karma said:
How do you know the numbers in Europe? Also, Software and profit is the only numbers that matter.

My musings were about Slim's performance...the whole point of slim was to push more hardware and make them more competitive (with the obvious knock-on for total software and so on).

Re. Europe, MS claimed they were 1m clear right at the end of August. Which is handy for post-Slim comparisons.

So I factor in a gap of 1m there.

IF Sony closed that gap since Slim's launch in Europe...which is maybe possible...then the WW gap shrank by 35% since slim's launch.

(US gap at end of August was 7,653,400 in 360's favour. Japan gap was 2,166,105 in PS3's favour. For a net gap of 5,487,295 in those territories. Gap is now 4,202,228 - reduction of 1,285,067 (23.4%). Don't worry though...the rate of change will slow considerably now we're out of the holiday :p)

legend166

I'm sorry, but at this point; I mean when a console sells 3.8 million pieces of hardware in a month, the conversation must shift from "Oh, poor 3rd parties can't sell any software on the Wii" to "Just how damn retarded are these people that they can't sell software on the Wii?"

boiled goose

good with gravy
axiomnightmare said:
Agreed, but objectively the fact remains.

Hmm maybe it is online multiplayer? Mario kart wii has some of the best online multiplayer on the system. Maybe that is why it is the best selling mario kart game ever?

Holy fuck at Wii numbers. So much for YoY drops.

The software top 10 is ridiculous as well, but the real meat I want to see is the total software, 3rd party software, YTD software, and some of the games outside of the top 10 - how did the rest of the fall heavy hitters fare?

legend166 said:
I'm sorry, but at this point; I mean when a console sells 3.8 million pieces of hardware in a month, the conversation must shift from "Oh, poor 3rd parties can't sell any software on the Wii" to "Just how damn retarded are these people that they can't sell software on the Wii?"

We can't seriously be arguing that no one has released a Wii game as good as Wii Play or Mario Kart.

Some 3rd party games should be dragged along for the ride by sheer volume surely? Something like 1 in 25 new Wii owners would have to purchase a specific game last month for it to break 100k.

grandjedi6 said:

You know, I'm not asking for Dead Space or Assassin's Creed on the Wii.
I'm just asking for more than Petz and EA Active...

I mean, like I said before. Nintendo releases quality games that appeal to everyone. Third parties release shit aimed at retarded monkeys.
They don't have to make hardcore games, just good games that are aimed at everyone.
Seems like such a simple concept that only Nintendo can grasp...

Top Bottom