• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

Concept17

Turk said:
vxosd1.gif

:lol

amazing on so many levels :lol

Zoramon089 said:
Is there any way to even explain the Wii's sales? I mean, does Nintendo even know why it's such a beast?! How is it possible! 3rd parties must be banging their head trying to tap into that, they must be! No matter how much they claim to be done with the Wii, how can they see these sales and not want some of that?!
All logic is gone. Seriously. Nobody can explain. Not even Reggie.

I'm so amazed. Mario Kart Wii has been out for almost two years now and sells about a million in one month. There are no words...

Ps2's Decembers:
2001: 1,940,000
2002: 2,700,000
2003: 1,930,000
2004: 990,000
2005: 1,500,000
2006: 1,400,000
2007: 1,100,000
2008: 410,000

Wii's Decembers:
2006: 604,000
2007: 1,350,000
2008: 2,150,000
2009: 3,810,000

Tiktaalik

Are we at the "who doesn't have a Wii/DS?" point yet? :lol

NSMB Wii did wonders for the system this Xmas. It was sold out everywhere for long periods of time. I'm pretty sure this was a big driver for sales.

The Wii is a real perfect Xmas gift and I knew that they'd get an extra bump for the xmas season. Seems like Mario Kart is still a must buy addition to the collection of games that everyone picks up with their Wii.

Great sales for Assassin's Creed 2 and Mario and Luigi. How is Assassin's Creed 2 comparing against the first one at this point in time?

Might and Magic sales?

Balb

In December, the numbers outside of the top 10 are always the most interesting. Hope a lot of it gets leaked shortly.

Puck

Banned
Big month in sales, everyone should be happy.

Should put away the Wii HD rumors because "Wii sales have dropped significantly" (according to most journalists / analysts) bullshit for a while.

rpmurphy

Incoming Bloomberg: Wii 2009 sales down YOY Nintendo doomed? :p

Incredible... wonder how NSMB would have done without the shortages.

Elios83

Sony's comments:

SCEA Statement:

"It’s no surprise we’ve seen PS3 units sold every month nearly double since October. We knew 2009 would be a turning point for the platform due to the new price and a content line up that is fueling unprecedented consumer and industry interest with games like UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves. The consumer response has simply been overwhelming and we anticipate the high demand for PS3 to continue into the coming months as we work closely with retail to meet the demand. The best part of PS3’s story today is that 2010 will offer entirely new gaming experiences to consumers as we launch MAG, God of War III, 3D gaming, and the new motion controller this year. It’s never been a better time to be a PS3 owner.”

-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

PlayStation Brand Revenue

The PlayStation brand generated more than $5.1 billion in revenue in the US for 2009, a 26% share of the total video game industry revenue for 2009
Hardware

PS3 sold 1.35 million hardware units in December 2009 in the US, which represents an 87% increase when compared to December 2008
PS3 hardware was the only home console to see double digit growth of 22% for the calendar year of 2009 (4.3 million total) when compared to the calendar year of 2008 (3.5 million total)
December 2009 marks the single highest selling month for PS3 hardware and software in the US.
PSP hardware also saw an increase of more than 122% from November to December 2009, making it a popular holiday gift item
Software

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for PS3 was ranked in the top five software skus for December 2009
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 topped PS3 software for the calendar year of 2009 with a total of 2.8 million units sold to date, followed by Madden NFL 10 and Assassin’s Creed II for PS3
UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves has surpassed 1 million units in North America* with more than 950k units reported by NPD in the U.S. since launch
PlayStation Network

December 2009 also marked PlayStation Network's single highest revenue month, jumping 155% from December 2008 in North America *
The highest activity for the month of December on PlayStation Network was Christmas Day
PS one classic game FINAL FANTASY VIII took top honors as the most downloaded “game” of December, followed by the PlayStation Network exclusive PixelJunk Shooter *
We also saw incremental sales driven by great add-on content such as the Call of Duty: World at War Map Packs, which took the top 3 paid downloads for the calendar year of 2009 *
2009 Top Ten Paid Downloads on PlayStation Network*

1) Call of Duty: World at War Map Pack 1
2) Call of Duty: World at War Map Pack 2
3) Call of Duty: World at War Map Pack 3
4) FIFA 09 Gold Pack
5) Final Fantasy VII (PS3/PSP)
6) Battlefield 1943
7) Fat Princess
8 ) MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2
9) Flower
10) Mortal Kombat II

plufim

Re" Reggie's bet, he's already won. He bet that NSMBW would outsell one of the console versions of MW2 (in this case PS3 version sold the lowest), which it already has.

timetokill said:
So how's that Reggie bet doing now guys?
Adding up this month and last month, we get:

COD360 LTD: 5.83M
NSMB Wii LTD: 4.21M
CODPS3 LTD: 2.99M

So NSMB has already overtaken CODPS3 and still has a chance to overtake COD360 by the end of January.

sensi97

jett said:
How exactly do you know this? It sold 550k in October, and seemingly less than 100k in November. Doesn't seem likely. The average PS3 owner is a stupid cocksmoker.
It is in a sony PR email

edit : beaten...

Spiegel

Stumpokapow said:
Not saying it hasn't sold a million, but that announcement was made on November 12th, before November NPD, and referred to copies shipped to retailers. Please don't repeat press release "million sold" claims unless you are certain they were referring to sales to consumers.

Sony PR

UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves has surpassed 1 million units in North America* with more than 950k units reported by NPD in the U.S. since launch

(* Based SCEA internal data)

Opus Angelorum said:
Microsoft should be worried.

On the figures alone I don't think there is anything to be concerned by. However if you look at it from a broader perspective...

NPD December 2008

* Wii - 2.15 million
* NDS - 3.04 million
* X360 - 1.44 million
* PS3 - 726,000
* PSP - 1.02 million
* PS2 - 410,000

What are the odds that this time next year the 360 would have done less in December 2010 than it did in December 2009? Natal has to succeed and become a cultural hit for Microsoft to see growth in the future. They cannot rely on their core demographic in my opinion. I think Microsoft realise the significance of this. I don't think price is the issue here as much as consumer perspective of the brands. Nintendo have certified themselves as the 'family' console. The PS3 can rely on it's brand success of it's predecessor whereas Microsoft need to create one other than that of the hardcore Online shooters.

FrankT

Stumpokapow said:
What does "by now" mean? That number Keighley's talking about refers to December NPD LTD as given to him by Sony.

Mid Jan. I mean I'm not saying it has officially sold 50k in Jan, but it likley is very close.

Meus Renaissance said:
NPD December 2008

* Wii - 2.15 million
* NDS - 3.04 million
* X360 - 1.44 million
* PS3 - 726,000
* PSP - 1.02 million
* PS2 - 410,000

What are the odds that this time next year the 360 would have done less in December 2010 than it did in December 2009? Natal has to succeed and become a cultural hit for Microsoft to see growth in the future. They cannot rely on their core demographic in my opinion. I think Microsoft realise the significance of this.

Yea they likely will have a real price cut this year I would say would be the significance in this. They don't seem to be too concerned at this point( I mean their main competitor did a redisign plus price cut and they still outsold them this year in the US, and they are making profit on each box sold, not to mention a mere 11,800 differnce for the holiday quarter), but I could see $179 in the not too distant future and possibly a $250 250GB Elite.

Notorious_Roy said:
All logic is gone. Seriously. Nobody can explain. Not even Reggie.

I'm so amazed. Mario Kart Wii has been out for almost two years now and sells about a million in one month. There are no words...

Actually, it's pretty easy to explain.
Nintendo puts out quality software that is targeted at everyone, while third parties put out shit that is targeted at retarded monkeys.

Stumpokapow said:
Left 4 Dead 2 is within 250k of L4D1's LTD.
Already? Impressive. Better be generous with your DLC, Valve.

Meus Renaissance said:
NPD December 2008

* Wii - 2.15 million
* NDS - 3.04 million
* X360 - 1.44 million
* PS3 - 726,000
* PSP - 1.02 million
* PS2 - 410,000

What are the odds that this time next year the 360 would have done less in December 2010 than it did in December 2009? Natal has to succeed and become a cultural hit for Microsoft to see growth in the future. They cannot rely on their core demographic in my opinion. I think Microsoft realise the significance of this.
Even counting Natal, I think it's reasonable to expect a real price drop (as opposed to a price shift) late this year for X360, like the one that preceded the 2008 holiday period.

So Nintendo single-handedly sold 7 million pieces of hardware in one month, in one country.

7 million. In one country.

All the other guys didn't fare badly either. The Xbox 360 and PS Family aren't in bad shape, it's just that you think "Oh wa- SEVEN MILLION".

Ubisoft: "Yeah, uh... like I said, we are going to focus on the 360/PS3, and .. wait, more than both of them combined? Well, that's just... fuck"

Ronabo

Serious question.

With all these Wiis out there that have been sold. Has anyone ever found one at a Thrift Store e.g. Goodwill?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Spiegel said:

I think everyone knows why we shouldn't go down that avenue. Sony has a long history, dating back to last decade, of sales-related PR oddities. For example, reporting ship-to-warehouse as sales. Reporting shipments as sales even in non-investment documents where they also use sales as sales. First-party developers reporting wild overshipments as sales. I don't mean to take away from Uncharted 2's success; I really enjoyed it and the way its sales built on the first surprised me in a good way, but let's stick with what we know - 950k LTD, almost certain to pass a million in January, guaranteed to pass a million in February.

Subitai

Those Wii numbers defy comprehension - hardware and software.

These kind of numbers are really going put some extra fire to the feet of the teams at Sony and Microsoft working on motion controls.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Elios83 said:
Sony's comments:

SCEA Statement:

"It’s no surprise we’ve seen PS3 units sold every month nearly double since October. We knew 2009 would be a turning point for the platform due to the new price and a content line up that is fueling unprecedented consumer and industry interest with games like UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves. The consumer response has simply been overwhelming and we anticipate the high demand for PS3 to continue into the coming months as we work closely with retail to meet the demand. The best part of PS3’s story today is that 2010 will offer entirely new gaming experiences to consumers as we launch MAG, God of War III, 3D gaming, and the new motion controller this year. It’s never been a better time to be a PS3 owner.”

-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA
This dude must write Tretton's speeches. You can just imagine his voice when reading that

[Nintex]

Opus Angelorum said:
Microsoft should be worried.
Gamefest in february might be a good chance for them to recover some ground. But the horrible mess that they've made of their first party studios will take some time to heal.

Sipowicz

Banned
even with the sales third parties are abandoning the wii in droves, it's a pretty weird

interesting how close the modern warfare 2 sales are on PS3 and 360 too. same with ahrdware

AceBandage said:
Actually, it's pretty easy to explain.
Nintendo puts out quality software that is targeted at everyone, while third parties put out shit that is targeted at retarded monkeys.
No, that can't be it. :lol

desh

schuelma said:
It is what it is

When (possibly) the best selling 3rd party game for December is a 2 year old port, that's all you need to know about effort.

Which game are you referring to?

GQman2121

Banned
Megadragon15 said:
This NPD almost confirms that there doesn't need to be a WiiHD.

I think it confirms that they would be foolish to even consider upstaging this current cash cow with a HD console.

mclem

Sony said:
The best part of PS3’s story today is that 2010 will offer entirely new gaming experiences to consumers as we launch MAG, God of War III, 3D gaming, and the new motion controller this year.

With the exception of "3d gaming" (there's the Virtual Boy but... no), this must be some strange new meaning of the term "entirely new" of which I was not previously aware.

Raw64life

Rough LTDs:

WII WII SPORTS RESORT: ~4.5 million
WII NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII: ~4.21M
WII WII FIT PLUS: ~3.52 million

360 CALL OF DUTY - MODERN WARFARE 2: ~5.83M
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED II: ~1.58M
360 LEFT 4 DEAD 2: ~1.47M

PS3 CALL OF DUTY - MODERN WARFARE 2: ~2.99M

-----

Hardware LTD:

PS2: ~45.3 million