• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

Curufinwe

timetokill said:
Ubisoft: "Yeah, uh... like I said, we are going to focus on the 360/PS3, and .. wait, more than both of them combined? Well, that's just... fuck"

AC 2 sales look good. What's their best performing Wii game of 2009?

Sadist

timetokill said:
Ubisoft: "Yeah, uh... like I said, we are going to focus on the 360/PS3, and .. wait, more than both of them combined? Well, that's just... fuck"
Let's release Just Dance 2!

:(

Shizzlee

Ondore said:
"Mr. Iwata, Scrooge McDuck on line 2. Something about leasing rates for a money vault...?"

20a9f87f82cfe68cced9b4dbafe19.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GQman2121 said:
I think it confirms that they would be foolish to even consider upstaging this current cash cow with a HD console.

I don't know; would you say Apple probably shouldn't have upstaged the classic iPod with the iPod Touch / iPhone? I wouldn't say Nintendo intends to rest on their laurels until the hardware sales bleed dry. ;)

NeoUltima

Why the hell did the Wii sales TRIPLE over November...That never happens. Simply doubling over November would be good.

There is some crazy shit going on.

Threi

notag
Ronabo said:
Serious question.

With all these Wiis out there that have been sold. Has anyone ever found one at a Thrift Store e.g. Goodwill?
Closest I have seen is a Wii box (and a PS3 box, and some 360 accessories)

However we sell new wii accessories at the front of the store (those wii sports plastic addons) :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stumpokapow said:
I don't know; would you say Apple probably shouldn't have upstaged the classic iPod with the iPod Touch / iPhone? I wouldn't say Nintendo intends to rest on their laurels until the hardware sales bleed dry. ;)

And I would add they are always focused on Japan first where things haven't been going nearly so well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rez said:
I want Silent Hill numbers, damn it!

Let's be clear that I don't have this month's NPD numbers. I have no magic leak and I certainly don't have a subscription.

That being said, I feel incredibly confident in asking you--are you sure you want Silent Hill numbers?

Jigsaw

Banned
plufim said:
Re" Reggie's bet, he's already won. He bet that NSMBW would outsell one of the console versions of MW2 (in this case PS3 version sold the lowest), which it already has.

bullshit,he said explicitly the 360 version of mw2

Balb

The weak PSP sales are discouraging. I think it's time for a successor, despite what some stubborn NeoGAF users think. The software sales have been abysmal for a long time and the hardware sales have slowed down significantly.

Elios83

BTW incredible numbers for Nintendo, when I saw that 3.8m I was literally O_O :lol
PS3 has officially completed its comeback. Fair numbers for the 360 although it's the first time they get beaten by the PS3 in the biggest month of the year and they're down YOY but they have not been that competitive this year so it's not a huge surprise.
Poor numbers for PSP, all the PSP Go and software relaunch strategy has been a failure. Sony will need bold actions this year to fix the situation (price cut + a new model people actually want).

Assuming a sales tax of 5%

Nintendo has contributed to local economies:

Wii:
$38,100,000

DS:
$23,170,000

=$61.27 million dollars!

The Nintendo bailout fund.

Soule

i actually said holy fuck out loud when i saw those wii numbers, i haven't even looked past that yet i just couldn't believe i swore out loud because of a little bit of text on the screen.

ok now to see where everyone else is...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Stumpokapow said:
Let's be clear that I don't have this month's NPD numbers. I have no magic leak and I certainly don't have a subscription.

That being said, I feel incredibly confident in asking you--are you sure you want Silent Hill numbers?
the emotion i will feel will remind me that i am human

Johann

A bit of info on hardware and software in comparison to December 2008:

While December did manage to pull in some positive sales numbers for the video game industry, it was very much a mixed bag overall.

Overall, the industry was up 4 percent over the 2008 numbers, with sales of $5.53 billion. Software sales, though, were … well, soft. falling 7 percent to $2.58 billion.

Hardware sales saved the day, though, jumping 16 percent to $2.19 billion. The Xbox 360 was the only real loser - and it wasn't by much. Sales were off 10 percent for that system. Wii sales climbed 77 percent, though. And the PlayStation 3 virtually doubled its sales.

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_...-a-mixed-month-for-video-game-sales.html#more

Arnie

Meus Renaissance said:
On the figures alone I don't think there is anything to be concerned by. However if you look at it from a broader perspective...

NPD December 2008

* Wii - 2.15 million
* NDS - 3.04 million
* X360 - 1.44 million
* PS3 - 726,000
* PSP - 1.02 million
* PS2 - 410,000

What are the odds that this time next year the 360 would have done less in December 2010 than it did in December 2009? Natal has to succeed and become a cultural hit for Microsoft to see growth in the future. They cannot rely on their core demographic in my opinion. I think Microsoft realise the significance of this. I don't think price is the issue here as much as consumer perspective of the brands. Nintendo have certified themselves as the 'family' console. The PS3 can rely on it's brand success of it's predecessor whereas Microsoft need to create one other than that of the hardcore Online shooters.
Honestly, if the 360 can post these numbers after what has been quite a weak software lineup relative to other years, I expect it to be much above the 2008 numbers due to a new Halo release and Natal. Similarly, if Sony can time GT5 in the west correctly, I believe they too can do much improved numbers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
End-of-year Slim musings:

Sony's pared nearly a quarter off of 360's lead (combining US and Japan) since Slim's launch.

Pared 150k off the US lead since Sept :lol 2.88m Slims vs 2.73m 360s.

WW, inc Europe, they may have taken up to 35% off of 360's lead.

Not bad at all for a few months (albeit a few holiday months).

Curufinwe said:
AC 2 sales look good. What's their best performing Wii game of 2009?

1. What Wii games have they released in 2009?
2. What was the average rating/critical reception the game recieved?
3. What fraction of AC2's advertising budget did the entire budget for the development of the Wii game come out to?

Kifimbo

NeoUltima said:
Why the hell did the Wii sales TRIPLE over November...That never happens. Simply doubling over November would be good.

There is some crazy shit going on.

It didn't triple in 2007 and 2008 because of shortages ? Just look at the Wii sales in early 2009. People could not buy it in December and they had to wait in January.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jigsaw said:

Are we really going to waste time arguing this again? Its irrelevant- it will certainly outsell the 360 version relatively soon and will outsell both versions worldwide before too long.

Sipowicz

Banned
schuelma said:
Man, you can't tell me 3rd parties couldn't have gotten a nice slice of that pie if they had brought some better efforts to the table.

Ahh well, I'm sure CoD:Reflex did well enough to get a MW2 port in 2 years. :lol

better efforts, better marketing, better everything

idiots did the same thing with handhelds. i say let em burn

harSon

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Microsoft should be worried.

Why?

The 360 is still selling well and is one of the few consoles to reach its sales level, it is a software sales machine, they're making a profit, they still have room to manuver as far as the console's price is concerned, and they an upcoming "relaunch" in the latter half of next year with Natal.

Chrange

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
NPD December 2008

* Wii - 2.15 million
* NDS - 3.04 million
* X360 - 1.44 million
* PS3 - 726,000
* PSP - 1.02 million
* PS2 - 410,000

What are the odds that this time next year the 360 would have done less in December 2010 than it did in December 2009? Natal has to succeed and become a cultural hit for Microsoft to see growth in the future. They cannot rely on their core demographic in my opinion. I think Microsoft realise the significance of this.

They could try dropping the price on it. For crying out loud it launched at $299 and $399, and while what you get has changed pretty drastically, the price hasn't actually dropped all that much - $100 over the course of what's coming up on five years.

The PS3 launched here in Canada for $660 (I never saw a $499 20 GB unit here - maybe they didn't ship them up North?) and now you can get one for $299. If Microsoft was that ruthless with their pricing, maybe they'd be selling more.

Biff

2008:
[PS2] 410K
[PSP] 1.02M

2009:
[PS2] 333.2K
[PSP] 654.7K

Y/Y:
[PS2]: -18.7%
[PSP]: -35.8%

wat

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
To the user that wrote about being unsure at the Wii Play LTD: the generic extrapolation I do combined with the exhaustive collection of any scattered number that leaks or is released has my projection of Wii Play at somewhere between 12.5 and 12.65 million. This obviously isn't gospel, but it should be right. It's the best-selling game of all time, as I'm sure you're aware.

Balb said:
The weak PSP sales are discouraging. I think it's time for a successor, despite what some stubborn NeoGAF users think. The software sales have been abysmal for a long time and the hardware sales have slowed down significantly.

If you want real embarrassment, and again--I don't have December 2009 NPD numbers either leaked or a legit subscription--I feel 100% confident in telling you that the best-case scenario for the PSP go was a 3:1 split AGAINST it (IE PSP go accounts for 25% of already weak PSP sales) and the average case scenario is closer to 4:1 or 5:1 against it.

FrankT

Raw64life said:
Rough LTDs:

WII WII SPORTS RESORT: ~4.5 million
WII NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII: ~4.21M
WII WII FIT PLUS: ~3.52 million

360 CALL OF DUTY - MODERN WARFARE 2: ~5.83M
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED II: ~1.58M
360 LEFT 4 DEAD 2: ~1.47M

PS3 CALL OF DUTY - MODERN WARFARE 2: ~2.99M

-----

Hardware LTD:

PS2: ~45.3 million
NDS: ~38.7 million
Wii: ~27.1 million
360: ~18.6 million
PSP: ~16.8 million
PS3: ~11.1 million

Thanks, anyone have YTDs?

Balb

harSon said:
Why?

The 360 is still selling well and is one of the few consoles to reach its sales level, it is a software sales machine, they're making a profit, they still have room to manuver as far as the console's price is concerned, and they an upcoming "relaunch" in the latter half of next year with Natal.

This is true, but they've also set their sights on destroying the PS3 and love comparing their system to the PS3.

Halfmunch

WOW great numbers for Nintendo again. XBox/PS3 numbers are great too, just a bit less than Nintendo's. 2010 should be interesting.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
harSon said:
Why?

And the xbox 360 came out way before the PS3, so it selling as much as it is right now is a success for Microsoft anyway.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Jigsaw said:

you sure he explicitly said that??? :S

it is a bit ambiguous whether he meant one version or the best selling version.... far from explicit....

Top Bottom