• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

With any other game you'd probably be right.

But this is Titanfall, what was supposed to be MS' golden child savior last year.

Sony fanboys are probably already frothing at the mouth at the chance to rub it in MS fans' faces if the PS4 version has a high resolution...
It will have parity for miraculous reasons.

With any other game you'd probably be right.

But this is Titanfall, what was supposed to be MS' golden child savior last year.

Sony fanboys are probably already frothing at the mouth at the chance to rub it in MS fans' faces if the PS4 version has a high resolution...

I don't think people care about Titanfall as much as you think.

It won't matter for sales, but GAF (and likely the internet as a whole) will have a shitstorm if there is a 900p/1080p type disparity...

I'd think there'd be a bigger shitstorm if there is parity, because parity has yet to be truly justified on any game that stresses the hardware, other than some vague "CPU-bound" claims.

And if there IS parity I can't wait to read all about how it's the Cloud making the difference, especially in this particular case.

I'd think there'd be a bigger shitstorm if there is parity, because parity has yet to be truly justified on any game that stresses the hardware, other than some vague "CPU-bound" claims.

And if there IS parity I can't wait to read all about how it's the Cloud making the difference, especially in this particular case.

I think it should be fairly obvious to any developer or publisher paying attention that forced parity causes a much bigger stir than the PS4 version having a few advantages over the Xbox version. It was a big deal at first, but now it is expected and it doesn't seem to negatively affect sales.

Purest 78

I don't think it's going to matter much to make someonng like that necessary. I mean look at COD -- game still sells better on Xbox One in North America. Would assume the same would be true for Titanfall 2 if the PS4 version is better.

Xbox One version should at least be 900p -- especially if Respawn was thinking of a 900p update for Titanfall (1) alongside the new SDK (kinect).

Cod sells better because of the early Dlc imo. If I recall correctly no other shooter sold better on X1. Activision said the most destiny players are on ps4, same with battlefield,Wolfenstein Among others. So out of all shooter released cod is the only one to sell best on X1.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Cod sells better because of the early Dlc imo. If I recall correctly no other shooter sold better on X1. Activision said the most destiny players are on ps4, same with battlefield,Wolfenstein Among others. So out of all shooter released cod is the only one to sell best on X1.

Destiny has placed better on XBO every month since launch in the US (and most months on the 360), unclear how much the bundle offsets that though.
Obviously it sold better worldwide on PS4 though, so would COD.

Purest 78

Destiny has placed better on XBO every month since launch in the US (and most months on the 360), unclear how much the bundle offsets that though.
Obviously it sold better worldwide on PS4 though, so would COD.

Sony sold a lot of white bundles At basically full price, that's why it's fair to count imo. I think it easily offset those numbers.

Bgamer90

Banned
Cod sells better because of the early Dlc imo.

Yeah, that plays a role. Would say a lot of it also has to do with the Xbox/Xbox Live brand being tied to COD for so long. It's the reason why I made my point about Titanfall.

If I recall correctly no other shooter sold better on X1. Activision said the most destiny players are on ps4, same with battlefield,Wolfenstein Among others. So out of all shooter released cod is the only one to sell best on X1.

Destiny was greatly tied to the PS4 before the system even released so that wasn't surprising at all. Battlefield had deals/exclusive content with PS3 last gen.

Don't exactly remember Wolfenstein's split but it was very tight (want to say XB1 version made up 48% while PS4 was 52%) -- game didn't have exclusive content/deals on either systems so it was straight up higher userbase vs. console audience known for liking shooters more.

Purest 78

Yeah, that plays a role. Would say a lot of it also has to do with the Xbox/Xbox Live brand being tied to COD for so long. It's the reason why I made my point about Titanfall.

Destiny was greatly tied to the PS4 before the system even released so that wasn't surprising at all. Battlefield had deals/exclusive content with PS3 last gen.

Don't exactly remember Wolfenstein's split but it was very tight (want to say XB1 version made up 48% while PS4 was 52%) -- game didn't have exclusive content/deals on either systems so it was straight up higher userbase vs. console audience known for liking shooters more.

I just think you're still in the 360/PS3 mindset with some of your thinking. 360 was absolutely the go to console for shooters. I think the landscape has changed drastically this generation. With the only evidence we have of that, is shooters selling better on ps4. It will be interesting to see the Hardline numbers.

Welfare

I just think you're still in the 360/PS3 mindset with some of your thinking. 360 was absolutely the go to console for shooters. I think the landscape has changed drastically this generation. With the only evidence we have of that, is shooters selling better on ps4. It will be interesting to see the Hardline numbers.

The PS4 is only leading in units because it's in the lead HW wise. Even with a lower install base, the Xbox One either out performs the PS4 with a shooter (CoD), or the splits are near equal.

If the Xbox One were leading we'd see the split favor it more than the PS4.

The problem is right now is that, install base wise, this generation is actually competitive. 1st and 2nd place are within 1 million of each other.

That 3DS salt.

Congrats to Nintendo; give them their time in the spotlight. They provided gamers with the two most compelling reasons to be gaming this month.

Be interesting to see if the MH4 hype train and increased availability of the system on shelves gives the 3DS a second month on top in March.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Sorry, I've been on the road for a few weeks, so I haven't really been posting much at all.
Any particular debate worth weighing in on, or sharing? Not sure if you have all the info or anything. Also as you know I'm not super interested in XB1 vs PS4 future lifetime sales or any of that yet either.

I'm more interested in Nintendo Land actually =) (to me PS4 & XB1 = both doing fairly well in the US). I have all the info posted on this thread at least. I guess was Kirby the highest selling Wii U title in Feb? Or did that go again to Smash?

And honestly rather than just asking #s, what do you think of MM3D's and Monster Hunter's performance? Something that can be continued going into March?

synce

MM's okay but I think the 3DS having a much bigger install base than PS4 and Xbone had a lot more to do with it getting the #1 spot.

Nintendo should hurry up with their Xenoblades and Devil's Thirds (and for fucks sake localize Fatal Frame) if they want to boost WiiU sales. All their current stuff is just targeting the same people over and over.

Bgamer90

Banned

The sales splits of current gen shooters show that the Xbox userbase still loves them... Very close splits (average of around 45/55 so far I think) even though PS4 has the bigger userbase. That alone shows that the brand in North America is still known as being more "shooter" oriented -- Xbox One is behind the PS4 in sales but yet it's still pretty evenly split in the sales of shooters.

2thepoint

Do you think Sony having the marketing deal for Star Wars Battlefront, timed exclusivity for future DLC content, and initiating an ad blitz for it come Holiday 2015 could ignite momentum on a Destiny-like scale?

I think so, but Microsoft could just have easily got the marketing rights too.

Bgamer90

Banned
Do you think Sony having the marketing deal for Star Wars Battlefront, timed exclusivity for future DLC content, and initiating an ad blitz for it come Holiday 2015 could ignite momentum on a Destiny-like scale?

Don't think so ("Destiny boost") if it will be releasing during the Holiday season -- the sales during those months will be high anyway. Doubt all that stuff for Star Wars would greatly increase things even more when many other big games will be getting pushed during that time too.

I don't think you got the point, even Destiny, a game with massive PS4 co-marketing, had basically the same attach rate on both consoles, most shooters are of course closer than that

really though, does anyone actually believe that the Xbox One audience isn't more shooter-centric than PS4? (PS: this is not the same thing as "shooters sell better on Xbox One")

The sales splits of current gen shooters show that the Xbox userbase still loves them... Very close splits (average of around 45/55 so far I think) even though PS4 has the bigger userbase. That alone shows that the brand in North America is still known as being more "shooter" oriented -- Xbox One is behind the PS4 in sales but yet it's still pretty evenly split in the sales of shooters.

If the average is around 45/55, that doesn't show that the brand is more shooter oriented as 45/55 would be within spitting distance of the console split.

To me, 45/55 would show that people who own the consoles like shooters equally, not that one particular console is more purchased for a particular game type.

Purest 78

I don't think you got the point, even Destiny, a game with massive PS4 co-marketing, had basically th.e same attach rate on both consoles, most shooters are of course closer than that

really though, does anyone actually believe that the Xbox One audience isn't more shooter-centric than PS4? (PS: this is not the same thing as "shooters sell better on Xbox One")

Other than Cod which has early DLC, what evidence do you have to prove that? It can be proven Jrpg sale better on PS console. Even though 360 had the much bigger install base in the US. Games like Final Fantasy Still sold better on ps3. Wouldn't you see other shooters beside Cod sell better on x1?

The US dominates The shooter Market, Who ever controls the US will sell the most shooters. 360 Sold the most shooters because it Dominated The US.

Purest 78

If the average is around 45/55, that doesn't show that the brand is more shooter oriented as 45/55 would be within spitting distance of the console split.

To me, 45/55 would show that people who own the consoles like shooters equally, not that one particular console is more purchased for a particular game type.

I agree 100%

onQ123

ps4 on amazon hourly best seller charts is destroying the xbox. I wonder how big the gap is going to be this month.

Well last month PS4 was #10 & Xbox One was #11 for the full month Amazon chart but the sales gap was about 80K. This month so far PS4 is #6 & Xbox One is #14 but the only thing that you can really take from this is that PS4 is still selling better than the Xbox One.

But I think it's going to be about 100K

Bgamer90

Banned

The split between the two consoles didn't get this way though until the Holiday season. We were mainly talking about the sales of shooters that released months before November 2014 -- when the gap between the Xbox One and PS4 was bigger than what it is now. The only shooter we mentioned that released in November 2014 was COD: AW and that game did better on Xbox One even though PS4 has the bigger userbase.

It therefore seems that the percentage of the Xbox One userbase that cares about shooters is higher than the percentage of the PS4 userbase that cares about shooters (in North America).

Javin98

Banned
ps4 on amazon hourly best seller charts is destroying the xbox. I wonder how big the gap is going to be this month.
Other users have disagreed with me on this and I know using Amazon's charts is not an accurate way to guess the gap, but I'd say 100K easily.

Bloodborne is the top two selling games. Not looking so niche any more.
I was actually surprised to see Bloodborne charting that well. Everyone on Gaf was calling it a "niche" game but it may actually sell better than The Order, a supposedly "mainstream" game, after all.

I was actually surprised to see Bloodborne charting that well. Everyone on Gaf was calling it a "niche" game but it may actually sell better than The Order, a supposedly "mainstream" game, after all.

I'm not surprised. PC people are actually buying PS4 to play Bloodborne (according to the biggest Finnish gaming forum). Souls games have gotten big after they got ported to PC. It's not a niche genre anymore. Many people haven't even played Souls games and they're excited about Bloodborne, including me.

Welfare

Bayonetta 2 was also charting high on Amazon around launch.

Don't read too much into software rankings on Amazon.

Javin98

Banned
I'm not surprised. PC people are actually buying PS4 to play Bloodborne (according to the biggest Finnish gaming forum). Souls games have gotten big after they got ported to PC. It's not a niche genre anymore. Many people haven't even played Souls games and they're excited about Bloodborne, including me.
LOL, what happened to that Bloodborne petition? On a more serious note, I really didn't expect Bloodborne to chart that well and move systems.

I don't think both situations are comparable here.

It's comparable because we don't know the numbers to these stuff.

And it's always more important to scale down back to looking at monthly numbers instead of hourly numbers.

Bloodborne, for March so far, is at 9th place, behind Type-0 HD and MGSV PS4 Collector's Edition.

I expect Bloodborne to do well, but hourly charts are only a small part of the picture.

Javin98

Banned

And it's always more important to scale down back to looking at monthly numbers instead of hourly numbers.

Bloodborne, for March so far, is at 9th place, behind Type-0 HD and MGSV PS4 Collector's Edition.

I expect Bloodborne to do well, but hourly charts are only a small part of the picture.
Yeah, true. But when the product holds a steady position on the hourly charts, you can make a rough guess on its position on the monthly charts. Bloodborne should continue to rise as it's been at #4 and the collector's edition at # 5 on the hourly charts for a few days now

It will definitely move up in the monthly chart before the month is over. The regular edition has been pretty far down in the hourly charts all month, and the CE was sold out.

onQ123

The thing to look at is the fact that it has 2 SKU's in the top 5 number 4 & 5 & we have about 10 days left in the month & they seem to be holding that position pretty good & if it continue it will move up the monthly chart.

Welfare

Says one of the main people shouting down how niche Bloodborne is. What a joke comparing it to Bayonetta on Wii U.

I shout down how niche it is? Main people?

I say it won't do big numbers that a lot of people are for whatever reason expecting.

I'm pointing out that software positions on Amazon doesn't mean it'll do spectacular sales in NPD.

I see some are touchy on the subject though, so I'll cut down my "shouting down how niche Bloodborne is" from 0 to 0.

ZhugeEX

Banned
People need to stop using Amazon hourly rankings as an indication as to how well a game/console is doing.

That's not how it works.

2thepoint

Are you seriously comparing Bloodborne to a title, not only in a completely different genre, but releasing on a system with pitiful userbase numbers and pitiful software sales for anything that doesn't have Nintendo printed on the box? - and even then, just look at Pikmin 3, Captain Toad and other titles sales etc.

Serenity

It's funny that people say don't use Amazon to make predictions when one of the biggest threads every month is the NPD prediction thread which many of you participate in. No one seems to have a problem making predictions with out any sales numbers and just anecdotes in that thread. People can use whatever means they choose to base their predictions on. Would it be better if they just went with their gut instead stating amazon rankings? At least people citing Amazon have some evidence on some level of sales while those saying it will be niche are simply going with a "feeling". Instead of shouting down people who use amazon as a basis for predictions shouldn't you all be shouting down those making predictions based on nothing.

I shout down how niche it is? Main people?

I say it won't do big numbers that a lot of people are for whatever reason expecting.

I'm pointing out that software positions on Amazon doesn't mean it'll do spectacular sales in NPD.

I see some are touchy on the subject though, so I'll cut down my "shouting down how niche Bloodborne is" from 0 to 0.

What are big numbers and what are people predicting? You are just giving vague generalities. Put a number out there.

Welfare

Are you seriously comparing Bloodborne to a title, not only in a completely different genre, but releasing on a system with pitiful userbase numbers and pitiful software sales for anything that doesn't have Nintendo printed on the box - and even then, just look at Pikmin etc.

I'm comparing 2 pieces of software on Amazon :)

Being #4 is a lot on Amazon, but in the grand scheme of it all, doesn't mean much.

Maybe people shouldn't get worked up that I said Bayonetta 2 and realize my whole point is that you shouldn't use the Amazon Hourly Charts to determine if a game will do big at NPD.

A niche game can do well on Amazon, but that doesn't mean it'll do well overall. Again, these are just rankings, no actual numbers to go off of.

What are big numbers and what are people predicting? You are just giving vague generalities. Put a number out there.
A big number would be any thing 500k and up.

ZhugeEX

Banned
It's funny that people say don't use Amazon to make predictions when one of the biggest threads every month is the NPD prediction thread which many of you participate in. No one seems to have a problem making predictions with out any sales numbers and just anecdotes in that thread. People can use whatever means they choose to base their predictions on. Would it be better if they just went with their gut instead stating amazon rankings? At least people citing Amazon have some evidence on some level of sales while those saying it will be niche are simply going with a "feeling". Instead of shouting down people who use amazon as a basis for predictions shouldn't you all be shouting down those making predictions based on nothing.

It's funny that people don't also read.

Notice how my post quite clearly talks about "hourly" rankings. I'm not saying anything in regards to monthly or yearly charts.

I personally think Bloodbourne will do amazing and I also hope it does well.

But basing that prediction on an hourly chart for one major retailer isn't proving anything.

onQ123

I'm comparing 2 pieces of software on Amazon :)

Being #4 is a lot on Amazon, but in the grand scheme of it all, doesn't mean much.

Maybe people shouldn't get worked up that I said Bayonetta 2 and realize my whole point is that you shouldn't use the Amazon Hourly Charts to determine if a game will do big at NPD.

A niche game can do well on Amazon, but that doesn't mean it'll do well overall. Again, these are just rankings, no actual numbers to go off of.

A big number would be any thing 500k and up.

I say it's going to do about 300K

onQ123

Bloodborne is now #6 & #23 for the month & it hasn't been released yet so it could end up with both SKU's in the top 10.

Top Bottom