• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

TChirath

Neo Member
djblackice said:
I always thought NPD threads were interesting. I think this picture sums up all of the types of individuals that can be found in them. Which one are you?

.jpg

:lol man I just realize I've been paying too much attention to videogames when I "get" #27

Zen

Banned
Htown said:
PS3 fanboys should be prepared for Killzone to not crack the top 5 next month's NPD, maybe not even the top ten. Just sayin.

To be fair, you might want to be prepared for the possibility that it does Crack the top 5 next months NPD, saying it might not be in the top 10 is ludicrous. Just sayin.

No_Style

Mama Robotnik said:
I'm inspired by this. We could create NPD Bingo for next month, in which we give each player a board segmented into random NPD clichés. The different fanboys, "ten year plan", gifs, the press releases, "wait for..."; the first mention of casuals, "fad", etc. Every time one is spotted in a post, it can be crossed off.

Not sure of a prize though.

That's a fantastic idea!

lowrider007 said:
The way people go on in this thread anyone would think that PS3's are only being sold in North America.

Sorry
You should show us those crazy awesome Japanese and European PS3 sales that totally belong in an NPD thread.

mujun

lowrider007 said:
The way people go on in this thread anyone would think that PS3's are only being sold in North America.

Sorry

is there any point to bringing up european or japanese sales in an npd thread?

oatmeal

Banned
dptgs5.jpg

Needs to be repeated!

quest

Not Banned from OT
Gaborn said:
No, they had those studios because Sony, Walt Disney Studios, Twentieth Century Fox, Warner Bros. and many other high profile companies are members of the Blu-Ray Disc Association., they OWN the format and have been invested in it. Warner Brothers was the late addition sure, but the nail was already in the HD-DVD coffin before June 2008, it was only a matter of time for a LONG while before that.

They would of eventually switched over or given up. With out the PS3 HD-DVD would of outsold blu 3 to 1 or more. The PS3 also helped lower the price of blu players by kicking in the economies of scale on the super expensive blu ray diodes. With out the PS3 you are looking at blu players cost even more against cheaper better hd-dvd players. At best it would be a stale mate because a few would not want to switch over. Warner would of not of switched to blu only if the PS3 did not push disc sales 2.5 to 1 for a a long period of time.

Dragnet said:
So much stealth PS3 trolling going on.

Love seeing the GAF PS3 haters coming out of the woodwork around NPD time. Show your true colours boys!

Really makes padding the ignore list fun. An NPD thread is like hunting in the woods... and then all the trees disappear.

nnl5k0.jpg

Jaruru

looks like we're adapting the Mario Kart trend from the Japan.
looooooooooooooong legs titles, for both DS and Wii. and I think they deserve it.

Wii + WiiFit = unstoppable.
does this answer our question? Nin's not releasing big title for months :s

Pachael

Gaborn said:
I think that's a false choice though. Everything had been trending Blu-Ray LONG before the PS3 came out, and it's not like Blu-Ray is exactly dominating DVD at the moment, it's what, 10% of the market at best if I recall? Let's say the PS3 hadn't had Blu-Ray capabilities. It's possible HD-DVD would've held out longer, but do you honestly think it would have won? And do you honestly think Blu-Ray adoption would be THAT significantly less? I don't, I think Sony went for overkill by including Blu-Ray in the PS3, it wasn't necessary and I don't see it being a major factor as to whether or not Blu-Ray becomes adopted by a majority of mainstream audiences like DVD or VHS, it's still got the potential to be a Laserdisc like format (I don't expect it to be one long term, but it's got a few more years before it becomes truly viable long term as a replacement for DVD).

I think it's a lot easier to say this in hindsight than say 18 months ago when there was enough doubt on this. The first stake in the ground is always important, and the recession hasn't helped in HD uptake, but Blu-Ray's now the defacto DVD replacement and what helped it succeed was definitely the PS3. I wouldn't say everything was trending Blu-Ray, there were a few holdouts and another consortium that didn't want Blu-Ray to be the HD disc format, wasn't there?

A few more defections could have put HD-DVD up. Remember the bedlam when Paramount jumped ships?

_leech_ said:
Really makes padding the ignore list fun. An NPD thread is like hunting in the woods... and then all the trees disappear.

http://i39.tinypic.com/nnl5k0.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Speaking of the ignore list, I haven't seen any ignored posts in a couple of days. I wonder if he got banned..... Oh hey, yes he did. My ignore list is clear again.

Mastperf

mujun said:

What else can be said? "Wait for (insert next best game ever)!" just doesn't have the same punch anymore.

Shinobi

Dragnet said:
So much stealth PS3 trolling going on.

Love seeing the GAF PS3 haters coming out of the woodwork around NPD time. Show your true colours boys!

Stealth what exactly? PS3's sales are relatively anemic, it's software sales are even worse, and in both cases it's way off the pace in terms of expectations many people had for it. And much of that is through Sony's own doing. There's no possible way to disguise these facts, regardless of your feelings for the product or the company.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
mujun said:

Well that all depends on whether people start surmising the PS3's demise based off of NA sales alone.

Mastperf

_leech_ said:

nnl5k0.jpg

If _leech_ talks in the woods and everyone has him on ignore does he make a noise?

Gaborn

quest said:
They would of eventually switched over or given up. With out the PS3 HD-DVD would of outsold blu 3 to 1 or more. The PS3 also helped lower the price of blu players by kicking in the economies of scale on the super expensive blu ray diodes. With out the PS3 you are looking at blu players cost even more against cheaper better hd-dvd players. At best it would be a stale mate because a few would not want to switch over. Warner would of not of switched to blu only if the PS3 did not push disc sales 2.5 to 1 for a a long period of time.

Given up? Toshiba would have beaten Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic, etc? SERIOUSLY? Even if HD-DVD would have put up a better fight, hell, even if it had a significantly better fight for a while there was too much money behind Blu-Ray long term.

Pachael - In my post immediately before that one I DID say:
Gaborn said:
Honestly, I think you could have made that case a year ago, maybe even two. Now though, I don't see it. PS3 may have sped Blu Ray adoption slightly, but it's still a miniscule market. And now, whatever BluRay adoption benefit Sony gets from the PS3 is offset by the fact that consumers right now have cheaper options for BluRay players. Down the road Blu Ray should make Sony a lot of money, but right now, today, not only did it effectively kill the PS3 taking first place because of the necessarily higher price point, I don't think you can say it off set that by either being the piece that assured Blu Ray's format wars victory or that it has made Sony significantly more money by including it.

So I agree with you, that was my point.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
lowrider007 said:
Well that all depends on whether people start surmising the PS3's demise based off of NA sales alone.

World wide numbers look little if any better.

Crisis

Banned
You know I would usually never do something like this but I think it's absolutely appropriate at this point:

Oatmeal said:
http://i42.tinypic.com/dptgs5.jpg

Needs to be repeated!

Oatmeal said:

Oatmeal said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwEkU5H1Wew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwEkU5H1Wew

Oatmeal said:
http://i39.tinypic.com/10foxt2.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/rjl36x.jpg

Oatmeal said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/e6bw3t.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/dptgs5.jpg

Oatmeal said:
I wish someone would make a video about Sony's Defense Force...

For fun, not to troll...just for fun... :D

Oatmeal said:

Oatmeal said:

All of these came from today. And it's all been incredibly blatant. Are the mods taking the day off or something?

*edit*

He got banned while I made this post. Took long enough.

LoLz, look at the sdf work!!!!

not really, more sdf trolling than anything else in this thread.. welcome to the january npd thread, same as the last npd thread.. same as the next npd thread. enjoy.

Jag22

Banned
Can anyone figure out why games are selling more than ever. Even the HD consoles are selling pretty damn well, especially when you compare sales to past generation consoles like the Gamecube and Xbox.

Yet all these companies are having so many financial problems? Are game companies really being ran this poorly?

mujun

Video Games jan09 $1.33 Billion jan08 $1.18 Billion 13%

attempting to move away from arguments about loyalty and the like. it's great to see the industry is bigger than last year. seems all the news these days is about companies going bankrupt or losing money.

i'm happy as long as everyone running finishes the race, don't really care about what position they come.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Zen said:
To be fair, you might want to be prepared for the possibility that it does Crack the top 5 next months NPD, saying it might not be in the top 10 is ludicrous. Just sayin.
I'm not saying it definitely won't.

I'm saying that given the way sales are going for the Wii titles and the fact that Killzone 2 is going to be counted for only 2 days, it's entirely possible that it won't hit the top 5. Maybe "not in the top 10" is pushing it.

Look at this list of games.

Wii Fit
Wii Play
Mario Kart Wii
Street Fighter IV (360)
Street Fighter IV (PS3)
FEAR 2
Left 4 Dead
Guitar Hero: World Tour
Call of Duty: World at War

Pick the five games you think are going to sell the most next month out of that list, and think about how much you think they'll sell. Now, keeping in mind that KZ2 is only going to be counted for two days, are you SURE that there's NO CHANCE KZ2 is going to miss the top 5?

Byakuya769 said:
LoLz, look at the sdf work!!!!

not really, more sdf trolling than anything else in this thread.. welcome to the january npd thread, same as the last npd thread.. same as the next npd thread. enjoy.
Bill Gates is mad about Killzone 2? huh?

Gaborn

Jag22 said:
Can anyone figure out why games are selling more than ever. Even the HD consoles are selling pretty damn well, especially when you compare sales to past generation consoles like the Gamecube and Xbox.

Yet all these companies are having so many financial problems? Are game companies really being ran this poorly?

Development costs are too high. There was "too big" of a jump in power for the HD consoles. A less powerful console would have been cheaper to develop for and would have been easier to turn a profit on.

mujun

lowrider007 said:

who was? me? if that's how you took any of my comments i apologize for not explaining myself clearly enough.

markatisu

lowrider007 said:

The situation in Japan is just as bad with the system about 5m behind the Wii

it's pretty much universal levels of sad worldwide

Kandinsky

Crisis said:
You know I would usually never do something like this but I think it's absolutely appropriate at this point:

He got banned while I made this post. Took long enough.
Why do you care so much?:lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mastperf said:
If _leech_ talks in the woods and everyone has him on ignore does he make a noise?

For someone who dislikes sales talk so much, he sure does post in a lot of those type of threads.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
mujun said:
who was? me? if that's how you took any of my comments i apologize for not explaining myself clearly enough.

I wasn't aiming that comment at you, I was just generalising.

Top Bottom