• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

Davidion

poppabk said:
I would be surprised if MS and Sony aren't reconsidering their markets going into next gen. Motion control isn't necessarily the future, accessibility is. The Wii succeeded because it is accessible to nearly all people. The motion controls facilitate this, but you could make an accessible console without motion controls and you can make an inaccessible console with motion controls (PS3). The entire Wii from its form factor to its GUI is designed to be non-intimidating. The remote looks like a remote because that is what people are familiar and comfortable with, its not actually the best form factor for a controller. It has less accessible buttons than you could reasonably fit on there, because multiple buttons intimidate new users. It has buttons labeled plus and minus, because everyone recognizes them as similar to the volume control on a remote, even though I can't think of a time that they are ever used as a literal plus or minus. The different software is in channels, because its a metaphor that people intuitively understand.
You can't replicate the Wii with a wiimote like controller.

Perfectly said. What sells isn't waggle, it's accessibility and experience.

I'm really surprised some people still don't get this.

farnham said:
well you think that the wiimote is the peripheral and thats where most of the video gaming journalists or analyists fail

the wii is the wiimote.. the wiimote is the main feature of the wii.. the box itself is nothing but "two gamecubes ducttaped together"

its the first console that treated the controller not as the peripheral you could say..

its funny how people still dont get it.. the wiis core function is not the box but the controller. at least nintendo markets it like that
that's not what i think. i don't think that the wiimote is a peripheral because it isn't sold seperately. i'm saying if it HAD been a peripheral it wouldn't have taken off because it

A: wouldn't have been closely identified with the system. people don't think PS2 and think singstar mics.
B: wouldn't have received a fraction of the third party supports that making it the main controller achieves.

Wii Fit is a HUGE success. but there isn't a tonne of games that use the balance board out or on the way, and most of the ones that do use it don't do anything especially interesting.

if Sony or MS put out a wiimote esque peripheral for their system it won't allow them to compete with the Wii. even if they start bundling it it won't help because 3rd party devs will stick to designing their games around regular controls.

that's what i'm saying. i'm saying the wiimote is a success because it ISN'T a peripheral. clear?

markatisu

Any word on when jvm is going to get his article up about NPD? There is almost always good info in there and since Sony is being quiet on NPD it makes the #11-30 that much more interesting

Wii Fit is a HUGE success. but there isn't a tonne of games that use the balance board out or on the way, and most of the ones that do use it don't do anything especially interesting.

I take it you have not played Tetris on Wii Ware, Raving Rabbits TV Party or Shaun White Snowboarding. If those 3 games are not interesting uses of the Balance Board then Nintendo should just pack up now

Jack B

plagiarize said:
the reality is that only Sony are to blame for the fact that the PS3 is twice the price of the 360. what's the point in trying to point out that the PS3 is selling well 'for the price'? bragging rights? warm fuzzy feelings?

the price is the main reason it isn't selling well compared to the 360 or compared to it's sales a year ago. no one is arguing that i don't think. but Sony are solely responsible for that price. so they are solely responsible for their lackluster sales.

it's like say, if an openly racist politician loses an election getting 1/3rd of the vote you could probably say 'wow! that's really good for a racist!' but i don't see what the fuck it would achieve. the guy still lost because he was a racist.

would you really say 'well the other guy isn't a racist so he should have done better!'?

Well said. I've always thought those, "well, Microsoft didn't sell much considering it's half the price comments or the Sony did great considering their price" comments comical.

Many of us predicted this would happen when we saw the first iSuppli reports on the PS3 costing over $300 more to manufacturer than the 360. Somehow Sony fanboys would never acknowledge the hard truth about manufacturing costs.

It's a problem, that will never go away, because as Sony's costs go down, so do Microsoft's. Microsoft either matches price drop for price drop or uses the extra profits in other way's like buying exclusives or marketing or buying developers etc.

If it wasn't for the PS2's profits Sony would be in a world of hurt. And the PS2 profit train is just about finished. The PS3 is losing money for every shipment. They've been geting killed on software royalties with far fewer shipments due to a smaller install base and lower attach rate. And they don't have nearly the online revenues...

The Emperor's New Clothes are almost exposed. I say almost, because there are still some fanboys left who believe a magical price drop will work without having any consequences to Sony's bottom line. Selling more widgets that you lose money on at an even greater loss isn't what most CFO's would recommend. Of course it's exactly what fanboy experts would have Sony do. More losses. Yeah, that would solve the problem...

Jack B

Joe211 said:
Yes I can have both.

People are buying arcade model and then they begin to understand their unit is not complete they need and HDD and a live subscription this is the hidden cost Sony is talking about.

Did you even read his post? You said exactly what he did. You can't say Sony is more expensive and then turn around and say Microsoft is more expensive, which is exactly what you did.

That's hilarious. LOL!

Gaborn

markatisu said:
Any word on when jvm is going to get his article up about NPD? There is almost always good info in there and since Sony is being quiet on NPD it makes the #11-30 that much more interesting

I take it you have not played Tetris on Wii Ware, Raving Rabbits TV Party or Shaun White Snowboarding. If those 3 games are not interesting uses of the Balance Board then Nintendo should just pack up now

It's just about always either been Sunday or Monday after I think.

Jack B

Joe211 said:
The only thing I can say about this graph is that Nintendo will be number 1 at the end of this gen.
For the second place, well obviously Sony is going to take it with Japan/Europe

You look at Donny's WW Sales chart and say, "Sony is going to take it with Japan/Europe". What? How is that obvious. You do know Japan/Europe numbers are already in that chart right?

The largest market in the world is the US. It's bigger than Japan and it's bigger than Europe. And both Japan and Europe are in that chart already...

The only thing obvious is that you have blinders on.

Here are the main reasons for how the Wii successfully implemented their casual strategy:

* Low cost
* Accessible waggle controller (WAGGLE in some form is NECESSARY to broad accessibility... I can go deeper into this)
* High quality software that is designed with casuals in mind
* First-class marketing emphasizing broad appeal

Now if we look at Microsoft:
They can compete on cost

NO WAGGLE AT ALL. Right now they're done. So to even have a chance they need waggle.

They have quality software for mature audiences. Getting better with casual software. Avatars and NXE have been doing well. They need to understand the casual PLAYER better though.

Almost first-class marketing. Not as good as Nintendo's but damn good in their own right.

I would say that Microsoft has to implement a solid waggle strategy this year or Nintendo completely dominates. If they introduce a waggle strategy Nintendo will still win for the next few years but not as badly, and MS is better positioned for the next generation.

And thanks for the kind comments Arpharmd, I'm not a marketing expert, just an entrepreneur that should be doing more productive things ;)

Davidion said:
Perfectly said. What sells isn't waggle, it's accessibility and experience.

I'm really surprised some people still don't get this.

Yes, well good luck to them in making something more accessible!

oldergamer

I think MS will adapt "some of nintendo's strategy when they are ready to shrink down the 360 to be in a smaller package. At that point they can re-target the smaller 360 as a sort of HD Wii with waggle. All is takes is a Wii play/Wii sports title.

I think Nintendo is in a unique section of the market right now. However this market may be a "one off" thing for a numbe rof years, as this market will be infinitely more difficult to convince to upgrade to the next console.

You try to ask moms to upgrade their Wii to Wii2 and they will say, "why? what i have is good enough". Sure Nintendo and kids will always work, but only to the point where those kids get old enough and say, "this isn't enough for me, I need more for my money" which was the problem they had with the gamecube.

Koren

Omar Ismail said:
The iPod is successful because it really is the best MP3 player from a hardware + services perspective.
I kinda disagree... Most iPod owner I know don't use ITMS. Based only on hardware, it's a pretty good player, but not the best. You can get the market with a *good enough* hardware at right time and with clever advertising, which Apple managed brillantly.

You definitely don't need to have the best product (but you still need to have a good product so it can last). And having the best product doesn't suffice either.

felipeko

Omar Ismail said:
Nintendo does not make "Casual" games, they make games for EVERYONE. Theres a big difference.

And about Microsoft 'having' to do it or else Nintendo will dominate this year.. I mean, c'mon Nintendo is going to dominate Microsoft waggling or not. They have way more cards on their sleeve than you are thinking.

oldergamer said:
I think MS will adapt "some of nintendo's strategy when they are ready to shrink down the 360 to be in a smaller package. At that point they can re-target the smaller 360 as a sort of HD Wii with waggle. All is takes is a Wii play/Wii sports title.

Problem is people dont really care about HD... thats why nintendo are investing son much on research... they dont want to launch just a hd wii

I kinda disagree... Most iPod owner I know don't use ITMS. Based only on hardware, it's a pretty good player, but not the best. You can get the market with a *good enough* hardware at right time and with clever advertising, which Apple managed brillantly.

Advertising is not magical ... Ipod sells because they were designed around accesibility

pr0cs

Nothing Microsoft does will allow it to target the Wii.
The Wii has the 'it' factor that you simply can't emulate... like the IPOD, there are a LOT of better players out there but once the masses has chosen what they perceive as the better device getting them to change their mind is next to impossible.

markatisu said:

If 360 has 4 in the top 10 and Nintendo has 20 in the top 30, that leaves only 6 left for either 360 or PS3.

felipeko

pr0cs said:
The Wii has the 'it' factor that you simply can't emulate... like the IPOD, there are a LOT of better players out there but once the masses has chosen what they perceive as the better device getting them to change their mind is next to impossible.
I agree to this. This is also the reason why some products fail. GC failed so hard because there was a "nintendo failure" stink (among other reasons) to it that it could not be removed.

duk

Banned
MS needs to keep paving their own way. Concentrate on next-gen tech, hard core gamers and online. They can't try to emulate the Wii, won't happen... look at Zune.

Every NPD thread it's the same. Why are people still arguing about the Wii!? It's the clear cut leader of this generation, nothing anybody does can change that. D:

pr0cs said:

The IT factor is that both Apple and Nintendo "get it" and they designed a product around ideas that other companies dont get it

radjago

Jack B said:
Well said. I've always thought those, "well, Microsoft didn't sell much considering it's half the price comments or the Sony did great considering their price" comments comical.

Many of us predicted this would happen when we saw the first iSuppli reports on the PS3 costing over $300 more to manufacturer than the 360. Somehow Sony fanboys would never acknowledge the hard truth about manufacturing costs.

It's a problem, that will never go away, because as Sony's costs go down, so do Microsoft's. Microsoft either matches price drop for price drop or uses the extra profits in other way's like buying exclusives or marketing or buying developers etc.

If it wasn't for the PS2's profits Sony would be in a world of hurt. And the PS2 profit train is just about finished. The PS3 is losing money for every shipment. They've been geting killed on software royalties with far fewer shipments due to a smaller install base and lower attach rate. And they don't have nearly the online revenues...

The Emperor's New Clothes are almost exposed. I say almost, because there are still some fanboys left who believe a magical price drop will work without having any consequences to Sony's bottom line. Selling more widgets that you lose money on at an even greater loss isn't what most CFO's would recommend. Of course it's exactly what fanboy experts would have Sony do. More losses. Yeah, that would solve the problem...
Agreed. With the financial condition Sony is in, it can't afford an aggressive price drop in order to go after more market share. They have to stay the course and retain profitability, not just for the hardware, but for the entire division, before they can set their sights on other goals.

On another topic, does anyone else feel that this recession will cause the next generation of consoles to be pushed further to allow more time to make profits on the current crop of systems?

Omar Ismail said:
Here are the main reasons for how the Wii successfully implemented their casual strategy:

* Low cost
* Accessible waggle controller (WAGGLE in some form is NECESSARY to broad accessibility... I can go deeper into this)

Now if we look at Microsoft:
They can compete on cost

NO WAGGLE AT ALL. Right now they're done. So to even have a chance they need waggle.

They have quality software for mature audiences. Getting better with casual software. Avatars and NXE have been doing well. They need to understand the casual PLAYER better though.

Almost first-class marketing. Not as good as Nintendo's but damn good in their own right.

I would say that Microsoft has to implement a solid waggle strategy this year or Nintendo completely dominates. If they introduce a waggle strategy Nintendo will still win for the next few years but not as badly, and MS is better positioned for the next generation.

And thanks for the kind comments Arpharmd, I'm not a marketing expert, just an entrepreneur that should be doing more productive things ;)

Too little , too late to introduce waggle this gen on current 360. We've gone over this a thousand times. Nintendo has their response more ready than Microsoft does, I guarantee you.

Kapsama

TheOddOne said:
w1f9zd.gif

Sorry to quote a page 2 gif, but just when i scrolled over this post, Winamp started playing Papoose - Wut's Ya Muthafukin Name :lol :lol

markatisu said:

saying 'most of the ones that DO use it don't do anything interesting' infers that SOME of the game that use it do. the balance board could see a LOT more support and some really interesting implementations... but it's a peripheral, so we only get a small fractions of games using it, and a small fraction of the small fraction doing worthwhile stuff with it.

Jack B, i think SCE are doing fine focussing on revenue and not sales figures. i see no downturn in their software sales, so they're healthy. software sales are the key not hardware sales here.

so long as the system keeps selling software people will keep making software for it and Sony will keep selling PS3s.

by this stage i think Gamecube developers were already starting to jump ship and the signs were all there. no one is jumping ship on PS3 yet.

dacuk

Salami Inferno said:
Great job L4D! Its great to see that game doing so well, and it getting such great support.

And its ALWAYS wait until X PS3 game comes out next month. Allow me to predict the future...

Killzone will sell a ton of copies, somewhere close to a million units. The PS3 will come close to, or maybe even surpass, wii numbers for february. Everyone will say the numbers were great but not terribly high because feb is a short month and we should all wait for the huge bump in march. March numbers will come and ps3 sales will flatten out again and kz will be in the middle of the top 10. Meltdown, meltdown, meltdown...just wait until GOW3.

Denial is always the first step...

Jammy

Banned
plagiarize said:
saying 'most of the ones that DO use it don't do anything interesting' infers that SOME of the game that use it do. the balance board could see a LOT more support and some really interesting implementations... but it's a peripheral, so we only get a small fractions of games using it, and a small fraction of the small fraction doing worthwhile stuff with it.

Jack B, i think SCE are doing fine focussing on revenue and not sales figures. i see no downturn in their software sales, so they're healthy. software sales are the key not hardware sales here.

so long as the system keeps selling software people will keep making software for it and Sony will keep selling PS3s.

by this stage i think Gamecube developers were already starting to jump ship and the signs were all there. no one is jumping ship on PS3 yet.

I'm tired of hearing about revenue this and revenue that. Has anybody here taken a basic accounting class or know anything about business? Revenues mean jack. Profit is the bottom line. Sony and even Microsoft have high revenues because their products cost so much to buy. And, on the other hand, they also cost so much to produce, therefore their expenses are also high.

PS3 software sales are pretty mediocre right now, not healthy. No, they're not as bad as PSP, but they're still pretty anemic. If we were to compare it to the GCN, like you did, we'd probably notice that software sales are even worse on this system than the purple lunchbox. The reason GCN support was dropped was because developers also had the Xbox and PS2 to lean on, and GCN numbers for some games weren't worth the porting over to a third system. You're not seeing PS3 support getting dropped now simply because development costs are too high to just have a game on one system. Nobody CAN jump ship.

Also, this goes with your first point, but the GCN was profitable for Nintendo. The PS3 isn't for Sony. Both had shitty mindshares with the public, both pulled in tons of revenue, only one didn't cost their company an arm and a leg to do so.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Omar Ismail said:

* Low cost
1) MS can't really compete on cost, as they have a more expensive console to build, and the loss leader strategy is only acceptable early in the race.
2) PC does not have waggle and is completely accessible, so you may need to explain this one
3) MS has high quality software with casual appeal.
4) MS already has masses of high quality advertising that shows that the 360 is very specialized. They will be fighting themselves

Joe211

plagiarize said:
it's funny that we're still talking about Japan like it's the second biggest market. i'm pretty sure that the 360 is outselling the PS3 in the UK since the price drop, and that's the second biggest market in the world now.

Europe is not UK am I right?

Your assumption is not a fact you don't know if the 360 is outselling the PS3

and wtf? Japan is still the second market in videogames sales afaik

Stoney Mason said:
The majority of casual consmers don't need a HDD and don't need a live subscription. Sony (and you) can't seem to undestand the market isn't made of just high end consumers which is exactly why they are where they are.
The majority of casual don't buy a 360

Jammy said:
I'm tired of hearing about revenue this and revenue that. Has anybody here taken a basic accounting class or know anything about business? Revenues mean jack. Profit is the bottom line. Sony and even Microsoft have high revenues because their products cost so much to buy. And, on the other hand, they also cost so much to produce, therefore their expenses are also high.

PS3 software sales are pretty mediocre right now, not healthy. No, they're not as bad as PSP, but they're still pretty anemic. If we were to compare it to the GCN, like you did, we'd probably notice that software sales are even worse on this system than the purple lunchbox. The reason GCN support was dropped was because developers also had the Xbox and PS2 to lean on, and GCN numbers for some games weren't worth the porting over to a third system. You're not seeing PS3 support getting dropped now simply because development costs are too high to just have a game on one system. Nobody CAN jump ship.

Also, this goes with your first point, but the GCN was profitable for Nintendo. The PS3 isn't for Sony. Both had shitty mindshares with the public, both pulled in tons of revenue, only one didn't cost their company an arm and a leg to do so.
i'm pretty sure that SCE's most recent reports claim the PS3 is profitable for them right now and that's all i'm talking about. previous loses (as with the Xbox) are already paid for and written off. all that matters right now is that they are profitable right now. you can speculate if they're lying or not, but i can't be bothered with that.

if my belief on the reports is wrong, i'll gladly concede.

Neo C.

Omar Ismail said:
In this business, the leader gains more strength in marketing the longer the generation lasts. I don't even think Nintendo's marketing is superior, it's just they can put more money in it. The same happened last gen, when the PS2 was everywhere.

Joe211 said:

yep. i said the UK. i meant to say the UK.

all the evidence points to the 360 outselling the PS3 in the UK since the price drop. whether you think that's conclusive or not, let's see some evidence otherwise.

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/uk-overtakes-japan-here-s-proof-2007-vs-2008--$1265573.htm

in 2008 total sales in the UK surpass Japan's for the first time ever.

but more of them are buying a 360 since the price drop, and more are buying a 360 than buying a PS3.

i await your reply pointing out that the 360 was outsold by the Wii or something. which it is, but then we were talking about MS's model of selling a cheap system with very little included vs Sony's of selling an expensive model with most everything included, so that's by the by.

Minsc

Gold Member
NPD PC Top 20 said:
1. World Of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
2. The Sims 2 Double Deluxe
3. World Of Warcraft: Battle Chest
4. Spore
5. World Of Warcraft
6. Left 4 Dead
7. The Sims 2 Apartment Life
8. Fallout 3
9. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
10. Call Of Duty: World At Wars
11. World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade
12. Civilization IV
13. The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden Stuff
14. Spore Creepy & Cute Parts Pack
15. IGT Slots: Little Green Men
16. The Sims 2 Pets Exp.
17. StarCraft Battle Chest
18. Bejeweled Twist
19. Reel Deal Slots BlackBeard's Revenge
20. The Sims 2 FreeTime Exp.

(Source : NPD)

Wow. I don't think even Nintendo has had games in the NPD that are that old. 11 years, shit!

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Damn just read the thread for 2 hours.

No Hoffman but I'm glad Joe211 has stepped in to replace him.

Also, you'd be surprised how many gamers upgrading from ps2 will get the pro or elite because they dont want the gimped console.

Plus the arcade only comes with composite cables.

Deku

Banned
Neo C. said:
In this business, the leader gains more strength in marketing the longer the generation lasts. I don't even think Nintendo's marketing is superior, it's just they can put more money in it. The same happened last gen, when the PS2 was everywhere.

No it is not the money. They have a great product, built up goodwill on the DS and a good message.

There was a time not so long ago when the narrative was Nintendo couldn't create an image to save itself and the analogies of the day were how Sega ads and Sony ads were superior. But what people really meant was they had a better message and aspirational idea of what they were.

Nintendo was still spending 2-300 million annually on marketing then too.

How quickly people forget.

pr0cs

Starchasing said:
The IT factor is that both Apple and Nintendo "get it" and they designed a product around ideas that other companies dont get it
They're sucessful on the 'it factor' for different reasons.
Apple knows how to market the shit out of their products.
Nintendo knows how to work the 'word of mouth' and simplicity point of view.

yeah there is overlaps with both approaches but I wouldn't put the both in the same category on how they got successful.

Neo C.

Deku said:
No it is not the money. It's the marketing and the message.

There was a time not so long ago when the narrative was Nintendo couldn't create an image to save itself and the analogies of the day were Sega ads and Sony ads.

Nintendo was still spending 2-300 million annually on marketing then too.

How quickly people forget.
They are spending more now. I remember when people in forums complained how seldom they saw gamecube ads, while the PS2 ads were on TV in prime time!

Now I can see DS ads in online magazines, in prime time, basically everywhere. Nintendo said in the past that they had increased the budget when the DS started selling like hotcakes.

So, no, I haven't forgotten.

Deku

Banned
Neo C. said:
They are spending more now. I remember when people in forums complained how seldom they saw gamecube ads, while the PS2 ads were on TV in prime time!

Now I can see DS ads in online magazines, in prime time, basically everywhere. Nintendo said in the past that they had increased the budget when the DS started selling like hotcakes.

So, no, I haven't forgotten.

Can we have more than just anecdotal claims? Also you're describing advertising, which is, ultimately just the face of a marketing campaign and is not the whole of it.

The point is that they were spending a heck of a lot of money on marketing then as they are now so on a marginal/incremental level, it's not really why their message is working now and didn't work then.

I'm not even going to get into how you've managed to give credit for DS and Nintendo's extraordinary success to more ads in magazines.

Suffice to say they have good products, a lot of games people want, and a great message. The things almost sell themselves.

Late? From N'gai's Twitter:

NPD January game sales 11-16: COD WAW PS3, Gears 2, Fallout 3, Jillian Michaels Fitness Wii, Link's Crossbow Training, My Fitness Coach Wii.

NPD January game sales 17-20: Rock Band 2 360, GH World Tour 360, COD WAW Wii, Lego Star Wars Saga Wii.

(go rock band)

Joe211

plagiarize said:
yep. i said the UK. i meant to say the UK.

all the evidence points to the 360 outselling the PS3 in the UK since the price drop. whether you think that's conclusive or not, let's see some evidence otherwise.

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/uk-overtakes-japan-here-s-proof-2007-vs-2008--$1265573.htm

in 2008 total sales in the UK surpass Japan's for the first time ever.

but more of them are buying a 360 since the price drop, and more are buying a 360 than buying a PS3.

i await your reply pointing out that the 360 was outsold by the Wii or something. which it is, but then we were talking about MS's model of selling a cheap system with very little included vs Sony's of selling an expensive model with most everything included, so that's by the by.

There's no evidence that the 360 is outselling the PS3 in the UK. But UK is not a territory we should look at Europe numbers.
If I look at the NPD numbers (309k) I think it clearly shows that casual aren't buying a 360 compare this number to Wii and DS numbers.
Also look at the software sales on the PS3 don't you think there are more casual consumers buying the PS3 for it's blu ray than casual players buying the 360 for Scene it?

Joe211 said:

NinCW142.jpg

Feel free to look at that one, which was posted here on GAF months ago. The big spike at the end for the 360 to out-sell the PS3 was the price drop in September, 2008. Unless it's been stated elsewhere, that trend has stayed the same, and the 360>PS3 since September.

Top Bottom