• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

Rolf NB

Karma said:
Yes, I imagined that people were saying the PS3 was only selling less than the 360 because of price. No one ever said that, sorry.
What you imagined was the other stuff, the thing with the 1:1 correlation between prices and sales. Nobody ever said that, that was all your own crazy mind running off into the bushes.

Your sarcasm is all limp too.

WII FIT WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
MARIO KART W/WHEEL WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
LEFT 4 DEAD 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS
CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
SKATE 2 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS
GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* WII ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA
MARIO KART DS NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA
LORD OF THE RINGS: CONQUEST 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS
CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
GEARS OF WAR 2* 360 MICROSOFT
FALLOUT 3* 360 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
JILLIAN MICHAELS FITNESS ULTIMATUM 2009 WII MAJESCO
LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
MY FITNESS COACH WII UBISOFT
ROCK BAND 2* 360 MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS
GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR WII ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
LEGO STAR WARS: COMPLETE SAGA WII LUCASARTS

Remember, 9 games from the ranks 21 to 30 are NDS and Wii - games. :lol

Epiphyte

SilverLunar said:
WHY IS THAT PENGUIN GAME SELLING MORE THAN KIRBY GRRRRRRRR.

Seriously, is it that good or what??
It's a pretty good point and click adventure

I picked it up for my nephew and he really enjoys it, and I don't think he even uses the website

Christine

JoshuaJSlone said:
Buh? Hasn't Nintendo been including the jacket with the remote for a long time? How could there still be many more jacket-less remotes out there?

This one gets me too. In December they were actually #2 and #3 respectively. Between bare remote sales and Wii Play, there have just got to be an ungodly number of remotes floating around.

MacBosse

Holy sweet jesus christ, only 1 PS3 game on the top 20 list???????

If I was into the doom and gloom stuff I would be typing my ass off and trolling 'til my keyboard broke.

MacBosse said:
Holy sweet jesus christ, only 1 PS3 game on the top 20 list???????

If I was into the doom and gloom stuff I would be typing my ass off and trolling 'til my keyboard broke.

2 in the top 30, I believe has been surmised.

Arde5643 said:
Any word on Rockband 2 inventory on the US sales-musing threads?

It's most likely a supply problem but of course, anything can happen since they screwed up by releasing it late in December.

My speculation would be that Rock Band 2 is too soon, now, behind the big push of (discounted) holiday sales of Rock Band 1 Wii.

TwinIonEngines said:
This one gets me too. In December they were actually #2 and #3 respectively. Between bare remote sales and Wii Play, there have just got to be an ungodly number of remotes floating around.

This presents a potential problem with Wii Motion Plus: how do you get all those remotes converted? It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo handles this with anything more than the Wii Sports 2 pack-in and a $30 add-on. I'd like to see them do more...at least another game or two with it packed in (Zelda? Punch Out?).

Jaruru

felipeko said:
That makes them non-gamers then.

pretty much. but given the price of blu-ray player is dropping so quickly right now, how much advantage can Sony take from this? it's getting slim...

Arde5643 said:
You're assuming most people are fine with a "poor man's" waggle.

Since the difference between the arcade and Wii is only $50, most people would likely spend the $50 more on the more "superior" waggle system.

I have these in quotes because at this point, it's a matter of perception, as everyone else previously have been trying to beat it through your skull (with little success, unfortunately since you keep on drumming the same tortured logic).
If 360 tries to emulate waggle so late in the game, they'll only be considered the poor man's version of the Wii.

No, what you're not getting through your skull is that it's not a forgone conclusion that MS will have an inferior offering. You have a working assumption that there's no way that MS can have an ACTUAL offering that competes with the Wii, and therefore marketing won't matter, therefore the whole thing is a bust.

But I'm saying that IF MICROSOFT CAN CREATE COMPELLING ACCESSIBLE SOFTWARE COMPARABLE TO THE WII IT CAN SHARE IN THE WII'S AUDIENCE. Period.

Yes, that is a huge damn "if". But is it any bigger of an if than "If Microsoft can get more 3rd parties and comparable graphics they'll beat out Sony."?

Is that really a bigger if than many of the other "if"s that have seen companies take a chance and been rewarded with major success?

I mean looking back on it now, the Wii and DS were two huge "IFs". We look back on it now and say it's obvious, but if I were to have told you "If Nintendo doesn't focus on graphics and instead goes after the huge casual market, they'll dominate the generation" 4 years ago we all know what the response would have been. But Nintendo DID test that "if" and look at where they're at now.

Should they look at it next-gen? Of course. But right now or in the near future? Hell No.
There's not going to be a "next-gen". It's already moving to an iPod model where things just evolve more steadily over time. Every iPod plays music. But then they introduced iPods that show pictures. And then they introduced iPods that play video. And then they introduced iPods with touch. And that happened once every year or two. Following the similar approach, Microsoft will have an easier time introducing waggle than Nintendo will have introducing HD.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
knitoe said:
It's simple to turn people's perception: Marketing

Package Arcade + waggle @ $250. Flood TV airways with head to head X360 HD Sport / Play vs Wii Sport / Play. Tag: Same price, same game play and graphics that blow Wii away. What casual gamer wouldn't fall for it. Continue to hammer it home later on with 3rd party games.

Plus, at worst, Microsoft's waggle would function same as Wii. More likely, it's going to be better (newer tech).

I can understand why Sony won't release a PS3 + waggle (price already too high), but don't understand Microsoft.
MS has established a powerful brand with the XBox - a successful brand that is profitable and has a distinct image and which has cost them billions of dollars to build, one that will be successful for several generations to come. Why would they risk it all, going out of their way to demonstrate that they are the poor mans Wii, diluting their brand image, just to grab a small slice of the Wii's market?

FrankT

BenjaminBirdie said:
That seems really unlikely to be honest.

The other game in the top 30 could be 360 title. It's possible, but between 1 and 2 in the top 30 I don't think it means a whole lot of difference at this point.

knitoe said:

Package Arcade + waggle @ $250. Flood TV airways with head to head X360 HD Sport / Play vs Wii Sport / Play. Tag: Same price, same game play and graphics that blow Wii away. What casual gamer wouldn't fall for it. Continue to hammer it home later on with 3rd party games.
If people are already in love with the market leader, matching them and then some doesn't seem to be enough without a major hook of your own. Both Xbox and GameCube tried to be the PS2 with better graphics and more controller ports at an equal or lesser price. Xbox had Live on top of that, and GCN had GBA interactivity. Didn't get them far.

Grecco

Are people still on the XMote thing? Theres absolutely no way of that happening because it would never be successfull mid gen. Wait till Xbox 1080 and that will have waggle. Not before.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Need more input!

gas_station.jpg

Seriously. Hopefully we'll get 21-30 soon.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Busaiku said:
Wow, it seems that Rock Band 2 completely flopped on the Wii.
Not a flop but they have really done about as bad a job as possible. They are currently out of stock most places, but with the holidays over lack of stock has probably driven sales to GH:WT.
The stellar sales of RB1 in November at the $100 price point were almost definitely at the expense of RB2 sales at the $189.99 price point as well.

Jaruru

Omar Ismail said:
But I'm saying that IF MICROSOFT CAN CREATE COMPELLING ACCESSIBLE SOFTWARE COMPARABLE TO THE WII IT CAN SHARE IN THE WII'S AUDIENCE. Period.

Yes, that is a huge damn "if". But is it any bigger of an if than "If Microsoft can get more 3rd parties and comparable graphics they'll beat out Sony."?

Is that really a bigger if than many of the other "if"s that have seen companies take a chance and been rewarded with major success?

I mean looking back on it now, the Wii and DS were two huge "IFs". We look back on it now and say it's obvious, but if I were to have told you "If Nintendo doesn't focus on graphics and instead goes after the huge casual market, they'll dominate the generation" 4 years ago we all know what the response would have been. But Nintendo DID test that "if" and look at where they're at now.

Nintendo took the RISK with their creative mind.
what you're saying is, microsoft should copy the waggle totally?

shouldn't they stick with 2nd position and save this + something NEW and UNIQUE for the next console?

of cos', everyone WANTS to be #1, but copy this particular idea is too late. looks really bad as well.

Gaborn said:
Or that many people are using the PS3 as a blu-ray player instead of a game console.
felipeko said:
That makes them non-gamers then.
I'm one who has a PS3 but not any retail games for it yet. I'm sure I'll end up with quite a few PS3 games eventually, but for my tastes and the relative costs, DS/Wii/PSP games have made more sense in the past year.

Christine

Leondexter said:
This presents a potential problem with Wii Motion Plus: how do you get all those remotes converted? It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo handles this with anything more than the Wii Sports 2 pack-in and a $30 add-on. I'd like to see them do more...at least another game or two with it packed in (Zelda? Punch Out?).

Well... I'd say that the challenge is simply moving enough M+ units on an absolute scale, or possibly relative to the number of consoles. To pull some numbers out of my ass, selling 1.4 M+ units per Wii would be a triumphant success even if the total remotes sold is something ridiculously high like 3.2 per console.

Putting on my Nostradamus hat: New Zelda will require M+, may or may not be bundled with it.

Gaborn

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm one who has a PS3 but not any retail games for it yet. I'm sure I'll end up with quite a few PS3 games eventually, but for my tastes and the relative costs, DS/Wii/PSP games have made more sense in the past year.

And I think that's true of a lot of people. I think my agreeing with the "non-gamer" comment was probably a little harsh even though it's largely accurate in terms of the PS3 only. What I should have clarified to say is that right now people that buy a PS3 seem to fall into 2 groups.

First, people that have specific exclusive games in mind (MGS4, LBP, KZ2, etc) who get really really hyped about these games. The "core" Sony gamer if you will that would buy a Sony system as long as it had these games no matter what. Secondly, there are people that may or may not like the games generally on the PS3, but for them the primary reason for picking up the system today rather than later is the Blu-Ray functionality.

I'm guessing a decent portion of this second group is comprised of two groups, techies and core gamers that don't see the PS3 as their primary system. For the first group they don't need to ever buy a PS3 game to still be happy with the system for it's other capabilities. For the second group they'll buy games when they want for the system, but probably will look to the 360 first for most of their gaming needs.

I could be wrong, and I realize I'm vastly over simplifying but that's more or less how I see the PS3 market breaking down right now.

Busaiku said:

A quick look at the PS2 should explain why.

1. PS2 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
2. PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
3. PS2 GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
4. PS2 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
5. PS2 KINGDOM HEARTS RE: CHAIN OF MEMORIES SQUARE ENIX INC
6. PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 THQ
7. PS2 NBA 2K9 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
8. PS2 ROCK BAND 2 MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS
9. PS2 GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
10. PS2 ROCK BAND* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS

Its what happens when you screw over the customers two years in a row. Theyll reward your rival in a big way.

Bizzyb

Banned
jamesinclair said:
I wonder where the FIRST PSP title is.

In the top 50 maybe

I wonder if we will truly see a shift in resources now. I mean it's painfully obvious that PS3 software sells like crap, and while 360's is very decent, the Wii is taking off astronomically in Hardware sales, and giving good sales to games that (for the most part) deserve it. So are 3rd parties now ready and willing to put out some real effort towards Wii titles?

MotherFan

Jammy said:
It should be.

Don't think it has been said which platforms it is on yet (but we all basically know which ones are getting it for sure). Good to see WaW selling on the wii still, its alot of fun.

Yes Boss!

Jammy said:
It should be.

You know, after enjoying CoD 2, 3 and 4 on the 360 I skipped out on WaW. And if Actvision were to put out a decent effort into a Wii version I'd probably buy it over the 360 version this time around...just for a new type of controls like Metroid combined with Motion+.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
JoshuaJSlone said:

Don't worry, apparently they are soon going to put games on BluRay movie releases too, so you guys can remember the machine does that.

Vinci

Danish
I love when people bring up the Microsoft Wiimote and then say, "All it takes is a Wii Sports / Wii Play / Wii Fit" type of experience and it's set. This is foolish as hell. If any of those experiences were so easy to produce, we would've seen it by now. Do people still not understand how much work Nintendo puts into these games? Quit pretending that Nintendo got lucky.

markatisu

(rolling eyes)...wow I am glad nobody here learned a damn thing from Rock Band 1 on the Wii

RB2 has been available for about 1 month, the bundles were shipped in low quantity and the game will continue to sell throughout the year

But I suppose since it did not sell 1m in 30 days its a flop (shaking head)

Also look at WaW selling in the Top 20 on Wii, so much for all those who danced saying it was dead at launch

Joe211

DeaconKnowledge said:
On one hand MS is selling tons of softwares on his machine even if the 360 suffer from piracy on the other hand Sony have only 1 game in the top 20 with a system that can't be pirated.
I don't see another explanation besides that Casual are buying PS3 more than 360.

Yes Boss!

Opiate said:
I'll make a fairly bold prediction and say that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will not be released on the Wii.

That is probably the case. But if it were to be, I'd probably give it a chance on the Wii this time around...you know, to mix it up.

Kolgar

knitoe said:

Plus, at worst, Microsoft's waggle would function same as Wii. More likely, it's going to be better (newer tech).

I can understand why Sony won't release a PS3 + waggle (price already too high), but don't understand Microsoft.

The reason this won't work is because of a marketing concept called positioning. Once you own a position in the consumer's mind, it's very difficult if not impossible to change it.

That's one reason why winning products keep winning and losing products keep losing.

Right now, Wii owns the words "waggle," "party," and most importantly, "fun." As someone earlier said, it owns accessibility.

360 probably owns "online" and "shooter" and "sports," among others.

PS3 owns "expensive" and "Blu-ray."

It's unlikely any amount of marketing is going to enable one of these systems to change its position in consumers' minds, no matter what's packed in the box or how big the budget. Wii owns "fun" so solidly that it's become the unassailable iPod of game consoles.

Top Bottom