• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

Sadist

BenjaminBirdie said:
Late? From N'gai's Twitter:

NPD January game sales 11-16: COD WAW PS3, Gears 2, Fallout 3, Jillian Michaels Fitness Wii, Link's Crossbow Training, My Fitness Coach Wii.

NPD January game sales 17-20: Rock Band 2 360, GH World Tour 360, COD WAW Wii, Lego Star Wars Saga Wii.

(go rock band)
So... I guess COD WaW for Wii was understocked in november.

I'm expecting an exclusive Call of Duty for Wii this year.

Kolgar

oldergamer said:
I think Nintendo is in a unique section of the market right now. However this market may be a "one off" thing for a numbe rof years, as this market will be infinitely more difficult to convince to upgrade to the next console.

You try to ask moms to upgrade their Wii to Wii2 and they will say, "why? what i have is good enough". Sure Nintendo and kids will always work, but only to the point where those kids get old enough and say, "this isn't enough for me, I need more for my money" which was the problem they had with the gamecube.

Excellent point, but I think Nintendo can bridge people to a newer, more powerful Wii 2 quite naturally with an HD system and more sophisticated services.

How did Pepsi make inroads against Coke, which was "the real thing"? By targeting a younger generation, "the Pepsi generation." How will Nintendo upgrade people to a Wii 2? With a more fully featured and "grown-up" version of the already world-conquering Wii.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Late? From N'gai's Twitter:

NPD January game sales 11-16: COD WAW PS3, Gears 2, Fallout 3, Jillian Michaels Fitness Wii, Link's Crossbow Training, My Fitness Coach Wii.

NPD January game sales 17-20: Rock Band 2 360, GH World Tour 360, COD WAW Wii, Lego Star Wars Saga Wii.

(go rock band)

So far we know that nintendo's platforms account for 20 of the top 30 games and the 360 so far accounts for 7-8 depending on which system fallout 3 is for. Not looking good for the ps3 so far they only have 1 or 2 games in the top 30.

Arde5643

Wow, this means from top 21-30, it will be dominated by Wii and DS titles.

HOpefully we'll be able to get some snippets of numbers as well so we can determine a rough number for each title.

Ptaaty

BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
So far we know that nintendo's platforms account for 20 of the top 30 games and the 360 so far accounts for 7-8 depending on which system fallout 3 is for. Not looking good for the ps3 so far they only have 1 or 2 games in the top 30.

Add in the cost of game development for each...and the picture is even worse.

Because, at this rate, everyone on Earth will have a Wii by then. :\
[/QUOTE]
I know you're mostly talking hardware here, but this reminds me of something else. I remember thinking it quite the happening in the late 90s (or maybe 2000?) when Nintendo stopped being the #1 publisher on these charts, overtaken by EA. I assume Nintendo is on top again, but when did this switch occur?
HylianTom said:
I don't know if hitting the reset button for a new generation in a few years is going to help MS and Sony catch Nintendo.

Nintendo is sitting very pretty right now, and its ownership of the waggle idea is a key reason why. Combine Nintendo's older/hardcore fanbase (those crazy Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Pokemon fans who floated Nintendo when its marketshare was decidedly leaner) with the new generation of fans that it's creating right now, and you have numbers that give it a built-in advantage going into the next console cycle.
The previous generation's winner is definitely in the best position when a new one starts. Historically it seems like they've got to do something crazy to lose it, at which point the mightiest alternative has a chance to become king of the hill.

Joe211

Mr Killemgood said:
NinCW142.jpg

Feel free to look at that one, which was posted here on GAF months ago. The big spike at the end for the 360 to out-sell the PS3 was the price drop in September, 2008. Unless it's been stated elsewhere, that trend has stayed the same, and the 360>PS3 since September.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14741877&postcount=1
Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week |   YTD   |    LTD    [/U][/B]
NDS      |    62,013 |    70,760 | 611,709 | 25,731,352
PSP      |    34,969 |    44,135 | 383,381 | 11,741,545
WII      |    20,412 |    23,278 | 264,001 |  7,742,902
PS3      |    16,082 |    17,405 | 160,683 |  2,783,111
360      |     8,311 |     8,107 |  63,905 |    894,445
PS2      |     5,089 |     5,334 |  40,436 | 21,439,960
--------------------------------------------------------
DSi      |    49,529 |    55,613 | 480,004 | 1,711,371
DSL      |    12,484 |    15,147 | 131,705 |

Arde5643

Kobun Heat said:
Here's the full top 20 plus all the top 10s by platform...

http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/02/january-2009s-t.html
Thanks, Kobun.

This also makes it clear that Fallout 3 is for 360 in the overall top 20.

Belgorim said:
So...

In top 20:

9 Wii games
8 360 games
2 DS games
1 PS3 game
Cool, this means there's one 360 or PS3 game in the 21-30 position with Wii and DS titles holding the rest of the 9 spots.

Kobun Heat said:
Here's the full top 20 plus all the top 10s by platform...

http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/02/january-2009s-t.html
Not that it downplays an oldie like Mario Kart DS making the overall Top 10, but launch title Super Mario 64 DS remaining in the DS Top 10 is pretty crazy too. I believe this is its 51st month on the market?

Top Accessories said:
# WII NUNCHUK CONTROLLER NINTENDO OF AMERICA
# WII REMOTE CONTROLLER W/ JACKET NINTENDO OF AMERICA
# PS3 DUALSHOCK 3 WIRELESS CONTROLLER SONY
# WII REMOTE CONTROLLER NINTENDO OF AMERICA
Buh? Hasn't Nintendo been including the jacket with the remote for a long time? How could there still be many more jacket-less remotes out there?

Arde5643 said:
Thanks, Kobun.

This also makes it clear that Fallout 3 is for 360 in the overall top 20.

Cool, this means there's one 360 or PS3 game in the 21-30 position with Wii and DS titles holding the rest of the 9 spots.

Could we assume it's Skate 2 PS3? I was never good at these sorts of Math Problems but surely someone could sort of the rest of the top 30 with these Kool Klues.

Wow...that's an even worse performance for PS3 software than I previously thought. Outside of a short bump due to a future price cut, it really looks like PS3 has already peaked in NA.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
BenjaminBirdie said:
Could we assume it's Skate 2 PS3? I was never good at these sorts of Math Problems but surely someone could sort of the rest of the top 30 with these Kool Klues.

i don't think that's possible. only thing for certain is that super smash bros. brawl is the highest wii game outside the top 20. and the 1 non-nintendo game in between 21-30 is probably either Skate 3 PS3 or NBA 2K9 360.

Arde5643

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, Skate 2's probably it - anyone knows if NBA 2K9 for 360 is a big seller?

Neo C.

Deku said:
Can we have more than just anecdotal claims? Also you're describing advertising, which is, ultimately just the face of a marketing campaign and is not the whole of it.
The point is that they were spending a heck of a lot of money on marketing then as they are now so on a marginal/incremental level, it's not really why their message is working now and didn't work then.
I'm not even going to get into how you've managed to give credit for DS and Nintendo's extraordinary success to more ads in magazines.
Suffice to say they have good products, a lot of games people want, and a great message. The things almost sell themselves.
Anecdotal claims? As I wrote before, Nintendo stated they had increased the budget. IIRC, they also increased their staff in marketing.

I think you clearly misunderstood my position. I never claim the message isn't important. At least, the company shouldn't shoot itself in his own feet. But when your product is gaining steam and the income is increasng, you automatically have more money to accelerate the whole cycle.

I wrote my answer to the former poster, because he claims MS could fight back. I have my doubts, because after a certain point, the market leader can fight back on the marketing front with ease - just put more ads out. I'm not sure why this is debatable at all.

Jonsoncao said:
where is little big planet!!!! rawr!!!!
Code:
Top 20 Games Overall, January 2009

WII FIT    WII     NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE    WII     NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
MARIO KART W/WHEEL    WII     NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
LEFT 4 DEAD    360     ELECTRONIC ARTS 
CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR*    360     ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
SKATE 2    360     ELECTRONIC ARTS 
GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR*    WII     ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS    NDS     NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
MARIO KART DS    NDS     NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
LORD OF THE RINGS: CONQUEST    360     ELECTRONIC ARTS 
CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR    PS3     ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
GEARS OF WAR 2*    360     MICROSOFT 
FALLOUT 3*    360     BETHESDA SOFTWORKS 
JILLIAN MICHAELS FITNESS ULTIMATUM 2009    WII     MAJESCO 
LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING    WII     NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
MY FITNESS COACH    WII     UBISOFT 
ROCK BAND 2*    360     MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS 
GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR*    360     ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR    WII     ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
LEGO STAR WARS: COMPLETE SAGA    WII     LUCASARTS

Top 10 Wii

WII WII FIT    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
WII MARIO KART W/WHEEL    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR*    ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
WII JILLIAN MICHAELS FITNESS ULTIMATUM 2009    MAJESCO 
WII LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
WII MY FITNESS COACH    UBISOFT 
WII CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR    ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
WII LEGO STAR WARS: COMPLETE SAGA    LUCASARTS 
WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL    NINTENDO OF AMERICA

Top 10 Xbox 360

360 LEFT 4 DEAD    ELECTRONIC ARTS 
360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR*    ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
360 SKATE 2    ELECTRONIC ARTS 
360 LORD OF THE RINGS: CONQUEST    ELECTRONIC ARTS 
360 GEARS OF WAR 2*    MICROSOFT 
360 FALLOUT 3*    BETHESDA SOFTWORKS 
360 ROCK BAND 2*    MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS 
360 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR*    ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
360 NBA 2K9    TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE 
360 FABLE II*    MICROSOFT 

Top 10 PlayStation 2

PS2 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR*    ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
PS2 MADDEN NFL 09    ELECTRONIC ARTS 
PS2 GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH*    ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
PS2 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR    ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
PS2 KINGDOM HEARTS RE: CHAIN OF MEMORIES    SQUARE ENIX INC 
PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009    THQ 
PS2 NBA 2K9    TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE 
PS2 ROCK BAND 2    MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS 
PS2 GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS    TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE 
PS2 ROCK BAND*    MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS

Top 10 PlayStation 3

PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR    ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
PS3 SKATE 2    ELECTRONIC ARTS 
PS3 LITTLE BIG PLANET    SONY 
PS3 MORTAL KOMBAT VS. DC UNIVERSE*    MIDWAY 
PS3 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR*    ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
PS3 LORD OF THE RINGS: CONQUEST    ELECTRONIC ARTS 
PS3 MADDEN NFL 09*    ELECTRONIC ARTS 
PS3 FALLOUT 3*    BETHESDA SOFTWORKS 
PS3 RESISTANCE 2*    SONY 
PS3 ROCK BAND 2*    MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS

Top 10 Game Boy Advance

GBA UNO 52    DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC. 
GBA BIG MUTHA TRUCKERS    DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC. 
GBA VALUE GAME BUNDLE 14.99    MULTIPLE VIDEO GAME MANUFACTURER 
GBA PUPPY LUV: SPA & RESORT    ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
GBA ASTEROIDS/PONG/YARS    DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC. 
GBA VAN HELSING    ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
GBA MADAGASCAR    ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 
GBA SONIC THE HEDGEHOG    SEGA OF AMERICA 
GBA SPYHUNTER/SUPERSPRINT    DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC. 
GBA PRINCESS NATASHA: STUDENT SECRET AGENT    DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC.

Top 10 Nintendo DS

NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
NDS MARIO KART DS    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
NDS CLUB PENGUIN: ELITE PENGUIN FORCE    DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS 
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A DAY    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
NDS MARIO PARTY    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
NDS BRAIN AGE: TRAIN YOUR BRAIN IN MINUTES A DAY    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
NDS SUPER MARIO 64 DS    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
NDS KIRBY SUPER STAR ULTRA    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
NDS PERSONAL TRAINER: COOKING    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
NDS COOKING MAMA    MAJESCO

Top 10 PSP

PSP MIDNIGHT CLUB: LA REMIX    TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE 
PSP MADDEN NFL 09    ELECTRONIC ARTS 
PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES    TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE 
PSP LEGO BATMAN    WARNER INTERACTIVE 
PSP WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009    THQ 
PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES    TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE 
PSP STAR OCEAN: SECOND EVOLUTION    SQUARE ENIX INC 
PSP NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERCOVER    ELECTRONIC ARTS 
PSP CRISIS CORE: FINAL FANTASY VII    SQUARE ENIX INC 
PSP WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2008    THQ 

Top 10 Accessories

WII NUNCHUK CONTROLLER    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
WII REMOTE CONTROLLER W/ JACKET    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
PS3 DUALSHOCK 3 WIRELESS CONTROLLER    SONY 
WII REMOTE CONTROLLER    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
360 LIVE 12 MONTH GOLD CARD    MICROSOFT 
360 LIVE 1600 POINT GAME CARD    MICROSOFT 
WII WHEEL GRIP    NINTENDO OF AMERICA 
WII CHARGE STATION    NYKO 
360 LIVE 1 MONTH GOLD CARD    MICROSOFT 
360 HEADSET    MICROSOFT
*Includes limited, collectors', instrument bundles

Arde5643

Busaiku said:
Wow, it seems that Rock Band 2 completely flopped on the Wii.
Any word on Rockband 2 inventory on the US sales-musing threads?

It's most likely a supply problem but of course, anything can happen since they screwed up by releasing it late in December.

It's pretty fascinating to compare the top tens of the PS3 and 360

360 LEFT 4 DEAD ELECTRONIC ARTS
360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
360 SKATE 2 ELECTRONIC ARTS
360 LORD OF THE RINGS: CONQUEST ELECTRONIC ARTS
360 GEARS OF WAR 2* MICROSOFT
360 FALLOUT 3* BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
360 ROCK BAND 2* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS
360 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
360 NBA 2K9 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
360 FABLE II* MICROSOFT

Top 10 PlayStation 3
PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
PS3 SKATE 2 ELECTRONIC ARTS
PS3 LITTLE BIG PLANET SONY
PS3 MORTAL KOMBAT VS. DC UNIVERSE* MIDWAY
PS3 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
PS3 LORD OF THE RINGS: CONQUEST ELECTRONIC ARTS
PS3 MADDEN NFL 09* ELECTRONIC ARTS
PS3 FALLOUT 3* BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
PS3 RESISTANCE 2* SONY
PS3 ROCK BAND 2* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS

You can see what games are preferred on each console and which have become almost de facto "exclusives" for one or the other in terms of preference.

poppabk said:
1) MS can't really compete on cost, as they have a more expensive console to build, and the loss leader strategy is only acceptable early in the race.

Let's assume that they're breaking even on the Arcade SKU right now at $199. By November of 2009 you really don't think the cost will have dropped by $50 minimum? And do you really think a game disc + Wiimote costs more than $100 to produce? So they can continue to be at breakeven at a $250 price point.

Drop the Arcade to $179, and sell a separate Waggle Pack for $100.

2) PC does not have waggle and is completely accessible, so you may need to explain this one
3) MS has high quality software with casual appeal.

Both of these things go together.

Accessibility is all about leveraging pre-existing knowledge. Holding a controller is an experience that is unique to console games, meaning the majority of the world has never used a controller before. However, everybody has held a ball, or a bat, or punched in the air, or has done a push-up. So when you play something like Wii Sports or Wii Fit, you're not LEARNING how to swing a bat, you're just swinging a bat.

Most people in the world are familiar with the way PCs work and have experience with them, that's why PC gaming is also more accessible than traditional console gaming. However, when you move to older (70+) generations they don't have as much experience with a PC, so actually PC gaming is not accessible to them.

Approximating the MOTIONS of real-world activities that we already KNOW is the breakthrough for accessibility. When I say "waggle" I don't necessarily mean a Wiimote. It can be any technology that allows people to do the motions they already know to interact with software simulations of activities they already know. They tried to do this with EyeToy/Live Camera but I don't think the tech is there yet.

So by this definition they don't have ACCESSIBLE software. Even things like Viva Pinata are too esoteric for the average person. Not the average GAMER, but the average everyday Joe and Jane. The best examples they have is Lips, Scene It, and You're in the Movies. Lips and SceneIt are far too specialized, and I don't think many people will claim "You're In the Movies" is high quality.

4) MS already has masses of high quality advertising that shows that the 360 is very specialized. They will be fighting themselves

It'll be a difficult position, but what option do they have? The goal for them from a mindshare perspective is that when someone has a great experience playing Wii Sports at a friend's house and they're like "Oh, I need to get one of these!" that ONE person says "Actually, a 360 does that as well". That's it.

Arde5643

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's pretty fascinating to compare the top tens of the PS3 and 360

You can see what games are preferred on each console and which have become almost de facto "exclusives" for one or the other in terms of preference.
It looks very similar in the game types though, so I'm not sure what the obvious differences are.

farnham

Banned
wow @ majesco

isnt this like their best result in years..?
frankie_baby said:
i doubt it, i'd just expect a lot more effort with COD6wii
and hopefully get COD 4 out on the wii with co op campaign

Omar Ismail said:
failure to understand that the presence of waggle won't help microsoft this generation
I'd buy a Microsoft branded waggle wand, if it became a prominent alternative input device for shooters on that system. I *WANT* to play RE5 like I played RE4 on the Wii. The fact remains, that in consumers' minds, Wii == Waggle, and that will obviously be the best place to get it.

Additionally, it could have an interesting side effect - if Microsoft provided a pointer mechanism for shooter controls for 360 users, and it turned out to be popular, they'd be all but telling their userbase that Nintendo had it right all along.

Arde5643

Omar Ismail said:
It'll be a difficult position, but what option do they have? The goal for them from a mindshare perspective is that when someone has a great experience playing Wii Sports at a friend's house and they're like "Oh, I need to get one of these!" that ONE person says "Actually, a 360 does that as well". That's it.
You're assuming most people are fine with a "poor man's" waggle.

Since the difference between the arcade and Wii is only $50, most people would likely spend the $50 more on the more "superior" waggle system.

I have these in quotes because at this point, it's a matter of perception, as everyone else previously have been trying to beat it through your skull (with little success, unfortunately since you keep on drumming the same tortured logic).
If 360 tries to emulate waggle so late in the game, they'll only be considered the poor man's version of the Wii.

raYne

BenjaminBirdie said:
I never fail to chuckle at MKvDC only being on one list.

edit:
Loudninja said:
Umm PS3 owners seem to like MK
Exactly. I shrugged it off last month, but the fact that it's still there is.. weird.

Jaruru

TheKingsCrown said:
Too little , too late to introduce waggle this gen on current 360. We've gone over this a thousand times. Nintendo has their response more ready than Microsoft does, I guarantee you.

totally agree. ppl have the IMAGE of each of these products ALREADY, nothing's gonna change much.
motion sensor, WiiFit, get a Wii.
something waggle, something exercise, get a xbox360? unlikely

remember Nintendo had this waggle idea during GC age. they once thought of implementing on GC but held for the Wii, a NEW console. cos' they knew by implement it on GC, it's not gonna help THAT MUCH on GC nor to Nintendo. GC was losing big (in terms of sales figure and image) to other 2. but a new product can have clean start.

very clever business strategy. :D

Arde5643

BenjaminBirdie said:
GHWT and Rock Band's places for one.
Gotcha - it seems 360 owners are somewhat more attracted to shooters as opposed to PS3 owners.
Only by a very teeny tiny bit though since the top games for both platforms are still shooters.

knitoe

Arde5643 said:
You're assuming most people are fine with a "poor man's" waggle.

Since the difference between the arcade and Wii is only $50, most people would likely spend the $50 more on the more "superior" waggle system.

I have these in quotes because at this point, it's a matter of perception, as everyone else previously have been trying to beat it through your skull (with little success, unfortunately since you keep on drumming the same tortured logic).
If 360 tries to emulate waggle so late in the game, they'll only be considered the poor man's version of the Wii.
It's simple to turn people's perception: Marketing

Package Arcade + waggle @ $250. Flood TV airways with head to head X360 HD Sport / Play vs Wii Sport / Play. Tag: Same price, same game play and graphics that blow Wii away. What casual gamer wouldn't fall for it. Continue to hammer it home later on with 3rd party games.

Plus, at worst, Microsoft's waggle would function same as Wii. More likely, it's going to be better (newer tech).

I can understand why Sony won't release a PS3 + waggle (price already too high), but don't understand Microsoft.

Jaruru

knitoe said:
I can understand why Sony won't release a PS3 + waggle (price already too high), but don't understand Microsoft.

cos' microsoft laughed so hard on the Wii when they announced and released it? :lol
cos' they don't see Nintendo as a competitor?

Epiphyte

Arde5643 said:
Any word on Rockband 2 inventory on the US sales-musing threads?

It's most likely a supply problem but of course, anything can happen since they screwed up by releasing it late in December.
MTV left a lot of money sitting on the table by mishandling the release of RB2 Wii this badly

Joe211 said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14741877&postcount=1
Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week |   YTD   |    LTD    [/U][/B]
NDS      |    62,013 |    70,760 | 611,709 | 25,731,352
PSP      |    34,969 |    44,135 | 383,381 | 11,741,545
WII      |    20,412 |    23,278 | 264,001 |  7,742,902
PS3      |    16,082 |    17,405 | 160,683 |  2,783,111
360      |     8,311 |     8,107 |  63,905 |    894,445
PS2      |     5,089 |     5,334 |  40,436 | 21,439,960
--------------------------------------------------------
DSi      |    49,529 |    55,613 | 480,004 | 1,711,371
DSL      |    12,484 |    15,147 | 131,705 |
Joe. That graph isn't of Japanese sales. It's UK sales. It just has Japanese writing because it's taken from a Japanese financial report. It supports my belief that the 360 has been outselling the PS3 in UK since the price drop. You have provided no evidence to refute that, and there is evidence supporting it staring you in the face.

No one is disputing the PS3 outselling the 360 in Japan.

whether you call the UK a territory or not it doesn't change that UK is a bigger market than Japan now. Is Japan a territory? Is the USA a territory? How the fuck are you defining territory and why do you think it is remotely relevant?

360 attempting to replicate the Wii would be a huge time & resources sink and worse could go either way. Couple that with the current recession and it's an absolutely terrible idea.

Should they look at it next-gen? Of course. But right now or in the near future? Hell No.

Top Bottom